List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States, April 2013
This is a list of people reported killed by non-military law enforcement officers in the United States in April 2013, whether in the line of duty or not, and regardless of reason or method. The listing documents the occurrence of a death, making no implications regarding wrongdoing or justification on the part of the person killed or officer involved. Killings are arranged by date of the incident that caused death. Different death dates, if known, are noted in the description.
For lists of killings from other years, see: List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States.
The table below lists 15 individuals. (This number should update automatically when changes are saved.)
|Date||Name (Age) of Deceased||State (City)||Description|
|2013‑04‑30||Vigil, Jesse (19)||New Mexico (Tularosa)||An officer checking on an elementary school during a blackout claimed to recognize Vigil, believing there was a warrant out for his arrest. The officer shot Vigil to death after the teenager did not obey the officer's orders to stop walking and was allegedly digging in his pockets. A .22 Cricket rifle was reported to have been recovered at the scene. This case is being presented to a grand jury for investigation.|
|2013-04-30||Todd Jones||Florida (Jacksonville)||In an argument with his step-father, he ambushed his step-father, stabbing him. SWAT arrived, Todd Jones approached them, and was hit with 11 bullets. Deemed a suicide by cop.|
|2013‑04‑29||Darkis, Ross (42)||Indiana (Vincennes)||Officers trying to subdue a man with a gun fatally shot him Monday night on his front porch. Police say Ross Darkis, 42, threatened them with the gun and was shot multiple times. He later died at the hospital.|
|2013‑04‑29||unnamed male (32)||Pennsylvania (Philadelphia)||Police say they responded to a domestic violence call to find a man with a knife to his girlfriend's neck. An officer shot and killed the man after he allegedly lunged at officers with a knife.|
|2013‑04‑27||TaVontae Haney (19)||Indiana (Fort Wayne)||Haney was a passenger in an SUV that police pulled over, and fled the scene. Police pursued, ordering him to drop a handgun he was carrying. Witnesses say he refused to do so and even pointed it toward the officers, who fatally shot him. Prosecutors declared the shooting justified in self-defense and declined to file charges. In a wrongful death lawsuit, Haney's mother claims he was unarmed and posed no immediate threat to officers.|
|2013‑04‑24||Ball, Cary (25)||Missouri (St. Louis)||Ball was shot after allegedly pointing a gun at officers. Police say they recovered a loaded .40 caliber semi automatic gun with an extended magazine at the scene.|
|2013‑04‑24||Smith, Rick||Illinois (Manchester)||Rick Smith shot and killed five people (3 adults and 2 children) and wounded another person. After driving away, he engaged into a gunfight with police. Smith was killed in the shootout.|
|2013-04-24||Lopez, Robert (33)||Arizona (Tucson)||Lopez was hiding in a doghouse in the backyard of a woman's residence. The police officers attended the scene, saw that he was armed with a handgun, and opened fire.|
|2013-04-22||Johnson, Victor (22)||Indiana (Calumet City)||Shot during foot chase when police say he drew a handgun.|
|2013-04-21||Clark, Dennis III (27)||Washington (Federal Way)||Mr. Clark was shot to death by Federal Way police after having killed his girlfriend and three apparently otherwise unrelated witnesses.|
|2013‑04‑19||Tsarnaev, Tamerlan (26)||Massachusetts (Watertown)||A suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, Tamerlan Tsarnaev was killed in a shootout with officers. Police say that his younger brother Dzhokhar Tsarnaev ran him over with an SUV in an attempt to escape, but ER doctors who treated him said he did not appear to have been run over. A medical examiner stated the cause of death as gunshot wounds to the torso and extremities and blunt trauma to the head and torso.|
|2013-4-13||Perez, Alexis (19)||New Jersey (Pleasantville)||Perez was shot a killed by several Pleasantville police officers as he approached them with a knife in hand. Perez refused all commands to drop the weapon. |
|2013-04-09||Stout, Christopher Lee (23)||Oklahoma (Oklahoma City)||Stout was shot and killed by OKCPD officers after attempting to flee the scene where a warrant was being served by US Marshals.|
|2013-04-09||Stout, Stacy (20)||Oklahoma (Oklahoma City)||Stout was shot and killed by OKCPD officers after attempting to flee the scene where a warrant was being served by US Marshals.|
|2013‑04‑04||Courtier, Mark (50)||California (Los Angeles)||Courtier was pulled over on suspicion of drunk driving and allegedly attempted to flee the scene. He was tased and also suffered a facial laceration in a struggle with officers to arrest him. Courtier became unresponsive at the scene and was pronounced dead after arriving at a hospital.|
- Death in custody
- Encounter killings by police (India)
- List of American police officers killed in the line of duty
- List of cases of police brutality
- Lists of killings by law enforcement officers
- List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States
- Lynching in the United States
- Police brutality in the United States
- Police misconduct
- Police riots in the United States
- Police use of deadly force in the United States
- "Officer-involved shooting going to grand jury". Alamogordo Daily News.
- Matt Augustine and Stephanie Brown (May 1, 2013). "Man shot 11 times in "suicide by cop"". WOKV AM 690.
- "Officers shoot, kill Vincennes man". WTHR. April 30, 2013. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "Cop shoots, kills man who made knife threats in Feltonville". Metro.
- Rebecca S. Green (May 30, 2015). "City answers suit over man slain by police". The Journal Gazette Local. Retrieved May 30, 2015.
- "Police ID Suspect Killed In Officer-Involved Shooting". KTVI.
- Fox News, April 24, 2013
- "Police ID man killed while hiding in doghouse and officers involved". Arizona Daily Star.
- "Man suspected in Calumet City attack shot to death by police". Chicago Tribune. April 23, 2013.
- "Family, neighbors recall 2 victims of Federal Way rampage". The Seattle Times. April 22, 2013.
- Farberov, Snejana; Thompson, Paul (2013-04-21). "Younger bomb suspect DID kill his own brother by running him over, says Boston police chief". London: KTVI.
- "ER doctor: Bombing suspect died at hospital". Boston Herald.
- "Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev died from gunshot wounds, blunt trauma, according to death certificate". boston.com. Archived from the original on October 6, 2013.
- . Press of Atlantic CIty http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/news/breaking/pleasantville-police-cleared-in-april-fatal-shooting/article_d75cf994-26e6-11e3-b1ad-0019bb2963f4.html. Retrieved 18 March 2015. Missing or empty
- "2 killed in officer-involved shooting identified". koco.com. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Police Probe Death Of DUI Suspect Who Died After Being Tased". laist.