List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States, August 2014
This is a list of people reported killed by non-military law enforcement officers in the United States in August 2014, whether in the line of duty or not, and regardless of reason or method. The listing documents the occurrence of a death, making no implications regarding wrongdoing or justification on the part of the person killed or officer involved. Killings are arranged by date of the incident that caused death. Different death dates, if known, are noted in the description.
For lists of killings from other years, see: List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States.
The table below lists 106 individuals. (This number should update automatically when changes are saved.)
|Date||Name (Age) of Deceased||State (City)||Description|
|2014-08-31||Burch, Justin (21)||Mississippi (Hattiesburg)||Responding to a domestic violence call, the Marion County Sheriff's office says "a deputy gave Burch numerous commands to drop a firearm, but the situation escalated" and the deputy shot and killed Burch.|
|2014-08-31||Bingamen, Royal Shawn (42)||Nevada (Reno)||According to media reports, a chain of events, triggered by a pharmacy robbery and a vehicle chase, ended with Reno police fatally shooting a suspect.|
|2014-08-31||Garza, José Walter (30)||Texas (Laredo)||The Laredo Police Department said they received a report of a man armed with a weapon at a truck stop. "The encounter resulted in an officer-involved shooting," according to the release, which did not specify if more than one officer opened fire. Surveillance video from the truck stop shows Garza after he was shot at by several officers, over 80 times. A cousin said police shot Garza so many times he "had no face." "He wouldn’t get aggressive, he wouldn’t hurt anyone," cousin Andrea Martinez said. "He’s a good kid. "Why didn’t they shoot him in the leg, or the arm or something? Not like that." Garza had schizophrenia.|
|2014-08-31||Turner, Eugene (28)||Kansas (Kansas City)||Kansas Highway Patrol responded to reports of a man wandering the streets with a gun. KHP found an armed individual a block south of initial reports. Eugene Turner fired several shots at KHP who returned fire, killing the suspect.|
|2014-08-30||Johnston, Stephen (56)||Washington (Seattle)||According to Seattle Police, a man had been firing a weapon outside of his home. When officers arrived, the man with a weapon in hand, retreated into the house but then came back out and fired on officers. Two officers with rifles returned fire."Seattle police shoot, kill man after brief standoff in Queen Anne", Seattle Post-Intelligencer, August 31, 2014.|
|2014-08-29||Lewis, Jeremy (33)||Florida (Orlando)||Orange County Sheriff Jerry Demings said Lewis pointed a gun at deputies who were serving a warrant at an Orlando apartment complex. At least two deputies shot Lewis several times outside the doorway, and he died from his injuries. He was identified to media at the scene.|
|2014-08-29||Wells, Mark (??)||Pennsylvania (Eagleville)||Police Officer Mark Wells was found seated in his own vehicle. Lower Providence Township Police Chief Francis Carroll said Wells shot himself with a department-issued handgun shortly after 2:30 p.m. Wells was working the day shift at the time.|
|2014-08-29||Lebak, Erik Charles (32)||California (Redding)||When two Shasta County Sheriff's deputies responded to a call for help about a suicidal man they heard gunshots inside the home. A short time later a confrontation ensued between the man and two deputies, and the man was shot and killed. Lebak was the son of retired Redding police captain Chuck Lebak, officers said.|
|2014-08-29||Withers, Jayson Matthew (26)||Oregon (Pendleton)||A corrections officer at the Eastern Oregon Correctional Institution shot and killed Withers after he and another prisoner wouldn't stop attacking a third inmate. The guard fired "to prevent imminent serious bodily injury to an inmate being assaulted." The guard's name was not yet released.|
|2014-08-29||O'Connell, John (44)||Arizona (Littlefield)||Mohave County Sheriff's Office says deputies spotted a motorcycle traveling without a rear license plate. Deputies attempted to stop the rider, who then abandoned his vehicle and ran into the desert. Deputies found him in some brush and used a Taser twice after he allegedly became combative. The suspect stopped breathing while being led in handcuffs to a patrol car.|
|2014-08-29||Garcia, Enebelio (45)||Texas (Guadalupe County)||Guadalupe County Sheriff Arnold Zwicke said Enebelio Garcia of New Braunfels was shot and killed by deputies after reportedly trying to attack them with a carpenter’s hatchet.|
|2014-08-28||Villarreal, Raymond (43)||Texas (Corpus Christi)||San Patricio County Sheriff's deputies responded to a call a man had a gun and was going to kill himself. According to a media report, deputies found the man in a pickup in brush behind his house. The man seemed excited and agitated, and at some point he got out of his vehicle with a pistol in his hand, Sheriff Leroy Moody said. At some point, he said, the man fired a shot and deputies returned fire, killing him.|
|2014-08-28||Sharpe, Mark Jeffery (54)||California (Sutter County)||Sutter County deputies responded to a request for help for an attempted suicide or assault. Police say they saw a woman and a man armed with a pistol inside the home. The man did not comply with orders to move away from the pistol, so deputies fired a stun gun at the suspect. The suspect then charged at deputies, who responded with gunfire.|
|2014-08-28||Havenor, Chaz Michael (21)||Minnesota (Ramsey)||Police officers Jerad Dixon and Richard Webb shot and fatally wounded Havenor outside a day-care center after he pointed a gun at them, said Anoka County Sheriff’s Cmdr. Paul Sommer. Havenor was shot as he ran away from a "suspicious vehicle" parked outside a daycare center. Sommer said workers at the center called police about the vehicle, in which three men were sitting. When Dixon and Webb arrived, Havenor ran from the car, pointing a gun at them, Sommer said. They fired on Havenor, fatally wounding him.|
|2014-08-28||Sellars, Terry (31)||Florida (Manatee)||Mother called for help after her son attacked her with a telephone book and then choked her. Manatee County Sheriff Brad Steube described the scene, "Before the three deputies got out of the car, the son bolted out the front door with a very large samurai sword and charged at one of the deputies. [Sgt. Brady McCabe], in backing up, fired several shots at the son."|
|2014-08-28||Canas, Guillermo (36)||Minnesota (St. Paul)||Police officer Joseph Sandquist shot and killed a man in a confrontation that one witness said involved the suspect throwing rocks, punching an officer and charging at the cops. Police Chief Tom Smith, explaining why the officer shot the man whose weapons were rocks, said, "You don’t have to always have a firearm or knife to hurt somebody."|
|2014-08-27||Rogers, John (61)||New Mexico (Bloomfield)||Police responded to a domestic dispute call and as they approached the house they say they heard shots fired. Police returned fire killing Rogers. His family says he was not armed, the shooting was unprovoked and there was no "dispute." Subsequent police investigation concludes it was justified, and that according to a report Rogers reached into his truck, despite warnings from the officer, and pulled out a pistol.|
|2014-08-27||LeBlanc, Freddie (48)||Louisiana (Albany)||Deputies responded to a suicidal man with a gun. WAFB reports, "an incident ensued and the man was shot and killed by deputy rounds." |
|2014-08-27||Ramos, Sergio (18)||Texas (Dallas)||Police say Sergio Ramos shot and killed 25-year-old Joseph Roling during a robbery and car chase. An accomplice and witnesses took the car and Ramos left on foot. Off-duty Dallas police officer Jose Gamez followed the car, stopped behind them "and began asking questions." Ramos got in the car. Seeing a gun in Ramos' pocket, Gamez told him not to touch it. Ramos went for the gun and Gamez shot and killed him.|
|2014-08-26||Washington, Cortez (32)||Nebraska (Omaha)||Restaurant robbery suspect Cortez Washington and COPS television show audio technician Bryce Dion were killed by police.|
|2014-08-26||Dion, Bryce (38)||Nebraska (Omaha)||Restaurant robbery suspect Cortez Washington and COPS television show audio technician Bryce Dion were killed by police.|
|2014-08-26||Wesson, Kerry (45)||California (Lynwood)||Wesson allegedly shot and wounded an unnamed Los Angeles County Sheriff’s detective in Lynwood. Wesson was later shot and killed by SWAT deputies when he exited his residence while holding a semiautomatic pistol.|
|2014-08-25||Esquivel, Guadalupe (51)||Texas (Lubbock)||Police say an officer responded to a report of Esquivel with a gun threatening to shoot a woman. The officer arrived and confronted him, who then turned and appeared to reach for his gun. The officer fired several rounds, striking and killing the man. The shots were fired within 15 seconds of the officer's first contact with Esquivel, police said.|
|2014-08-25||Crawford, Joshua Matthew (29)||Colorado (Grand Junction)||Grand Junction Police Department received a call to remove Crawford from a home on Grand Avenue. Details on what led to the shooting have yet to be released. (8/27/2014),|
|2014-08-25||Matheny, Randy (31)||West Virginia (Dingess)||Police say Randy Matheny was involved in an auto accident and fired a shot before police arrived, then went home with his baby. Troopers say when they approached Matheny he lifted his gun and pointed it at troopers giving them no choice but to shoot him.|
|2014-08-25||Douglas, Steven (29)||Texas (Dallas)||Police responded to a domestic violence call on August 23. On the 25th, Douglas chased down and rammed the car of his children’s mother and then took two children in his truck, police say. Hours later, officers chased him down, and witnesses told investigators that he pointed a pistol at Officer Rogelio Moreno, who shot and killed him.|
|2014-08-25||Salazar, Mark (22)||Oklahoma (Oklahoma City)||K-9 Sgt. Ryan Stark fatally shot a burglary suspect who stabbed at his dog after it was set to attack him. The dog later died.|
|2014-08-24||Griffis, Timothy (35)||Florida (Lake City)||The police report said Griffis was acting strange and wouldn't come out of a shed, saying he would kill Deputy Bradley Carpenter. "After he failed to comply with the requests to come out he was eventually tased and taken into custody." Handcuffed, Griffis began having trouble breathing and then stopped altogether. Carpenter took the cuffs off and administered CPR, but Griffis died later at a hospital.|
|2014-08-24||McMilon, Stephen Andrew (52)||Oregon (Medford)||Police responded twice to calls, second time contacting McMilon carrying a shotgun, two handguns, and a "substantial" amount of ammunition, according to an agency press release. Four officers responded; McMilon menaced officers with a shotgun. Two minutes later, he fired at least one round at an officer. Police shot back and killed him.|
|2014-08-24||Jennings, Joseph (18)||Kansas (Ottawa)||Jennings had just been released from a psychiatric hospital three hours before two Ottawa police officers shot and killed him.|
|2014-08-24||Herrera-Garcia, Mauricio (39)||Arizona (Phoenix)||Herrera-Garcia left the scene of an auto accident and then fired several shots into the air when the accident victim tried to contact him. According to police, Phoenix Police Department SWAT team members fatally shot him after he pointed a handgun at an officer as they tried to apprehend him.|
|2014-08-24||McIntosh, Roshad (19)||Illinois (Chicago)||A man was fatally shot in a police-involved shooting on the near west side August 24. Police recovered a 9 mm handgun at the scene.|
|2014-08-24||Pittman, Desean (17)||Illinois (Chicago)||Police on foot patrol say they saw Desean Pittman shoot and kill 22-year-old Amelio Johnson. A police officer fired and fatally struck Pittman, police said.|
|2014-08-23||Ossorio, Hernan Milton (61)||Maryland (Ellicott City)||Authorities said suicidal man had threatened to kill occupants of his home in Ellicott City and then confronted Police officers Russell DiAngelo and Susannah Raff with a knife. They shot and killed him.,|
|2014-08-23||Paula, Briant (26)||Massachusetts (Methuen)||Lowell police officer Eric Wayne was charged August 23 with motor vehicle homicide and drunken driving after Briant Paula was killed and his sister injured.|
|2014-08-23||Brown, Lamar Anthony (39)||Florida (West Palm Beach)||Responding to a complaint of a bike robbery, police say Brown tussled with West Palm Beach police officer Jason Rafael Barquin, deflected a Taser strike and opened fire at Barquin who shot and killed Brown.|
|2014-08-22||Woodard, Vernicia (26)||Georgia (Atlanta)||Atlanta officer Tahreem Zeus Rana, 23, was arrested August 28 on the charges of murder, arson and kidnapping. He was arrested attempting to get on a flight to Mexico. Police said Woodard was shot multiple times and set on fire in an apparent attempt to destroy evidence.|
|2014-08-22||Fowler, James Matthew (31)||Georgia (Adairsville)||Lt. Fowler committed suicide by gun in his police vehicle.|
|2014-08-22||Alvarado, Alex (38)||California (San Bernardino)||Officer Gabriel Garcia shot in the head during a "protracted gun battle," trainee returned fire and killed shooter |
|2014-08-20||Friedman, Darren (45)||Maryland (Ellicott City)||Officer Daniel Young and Officer Lara Bradshaw responded to a suicide in progress call shot and killed Friedman in his bedroom.|
|2014-08-20||Williams, Arvel Douglas (30)||Maryland (Perry Hall)||Harford County sheriff's deputies used Tasers on 30-year-old Arvel Douglas Williams "in an effort to safely place [him] under arrest," Baltimore County Police said Thursday. Police did not say how many deputies used Tasers, or how many times Williams was stunned.|
|2014-08-19||Ellis, David (29)||Pennsylvania (Philadelphia)||Man killed in police shoot out. Officer Steve Korpalski, a 14-year-veteran, grazed in the left side of his head by a bullet.|
|2014-08-19||Guy, Miranda (28)||Tennessee (Harriman)||Harriman Police Lt. Dan Schneider and Roane County Deputy Chris White shot and killed Guy, saying later she was a burglary suspect. Ninth Judicial District Attorney General Russell Johnson called the shooting "justified" two days later.|
|2014-08-19||Cole-Garrit, Darius (21)||Illinois (Chicago)||A man on a bike was fatally shot by police on the Far South Side after he aimed a gun at officers, authorities said.|
|2014-08-19||Godinez, Maria Fernada (22)||Florida (Orlando)||A suspect (Kody Roach) and officers engaged in a shootout outside a bar in downtown Orlando. The suspect and a police officer suffered injuries. An innocent bystander woman (Godinez) was struck by an officer's bullet and died.|
|2014-08-19||Leichardt, Chad (40)||Kansas (Haysville)||A man was fatally shot by police after officers arrived at an apartment complex responding to a domestic disturbance. Reportedly, Leichardt was wielding a knife and refused police commands to drop it.|
|2014-08-19||Powell, Kajieme (25)||Missouri (St. Louis)||A 25-year-old man with a knife was shot by two officers. The man was reported saying that he wanted to die; family report he was "mentally challenged". The shooting took place three miles away from the site of the shooting of Michael Brown in Ferguson, and occurred during Ferguson unrest.|
|2014-08-18||Towe, Jeffrey (53)||California (Woodland)||Man lunged at officers with a knife and was shot. Family reported to media a long history of mental illness.|
|2014-08-18||Bukowiecki, Richard (47)||California (Norwalk)||Bukowiecki committed suicide in a motel room. He had served on the Cerritos College campus police force for 26 years and was chief for the past eight. In 2012 he was awarded Outstanding Classified Manager.|
|2014-08-18||Jones, Andre Maurice (37)||California (Los Angeles)||Jones was killed by the LAPD SWAT team after a "rolling gun battle". Police accused driver Avel Jowan Turks of attempted murder; an officer was badly wounded.|
|2014-08-18||Walker, Luther Lathron (38)||California (Los Angeles)||A SWAT team shot and killed an armed man who had been holding his girlfriend hostage for hours August 18 at an apartment complex in Bellflower. Negotiators were in contact with the unidentified man before the shooting occurred, police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene.|
|2014-08-17||Piirainen, Steven (52)||Maine (Mexico)||State Trooper Paul Casey and Mexico Reserve Officer Dean Benson stopped Piirainen, who was suspected of stealing a truck. Piirainen was killed after an exchange of gunfire.|
|2014-08-17||Love, Levon Leroy (44)||Texas (San Antonio)||Love was found passed out in his car and naked from the waist down, police said. Paramedics were called, but Love resisted efforts to load him into an ambulance and jumped back into his car instead, police said. He started to drive away with the gurney dragging behind him until he crashed into a pickup. Police said Love would not calm down as they tried to detain him after the crash, so they deployed Tasers.|
|2014-08-16||Wegener, Travis (28)||Tennessee (Knoxville)||Police Cadet Michael William Little was shot and killed after he gunned down Travis Donald Wegener, 28, at the home of Little’s ex-girlfriend, police said. Little also shot his ex-girlfriend and her mother, seriously injuring her mother. Ex-girlfriend's brother, Joshua Womack shot and killed Little.|
|2014-08-16||Miller, Fred (38)||Maryland (Fort Washington)||Prince George's County Police believe Miller shot two adult family members. Police found him driving in a Maryland suburb of Washington, DC; Pursued Miller and killed him. Miller took the life of his 3 year old daughter, Laila, during the pursuit.|
|2014-08-14||Jennings, Alvin Curtis (61)||Iowa (Davenport)||Jennings reportedly had a knife and charged police. According to his family, Jennings suffered from mental and physical disabilities.|
|2014-08-14||Parker, Dante (36)||California (Victorville)||Sheriff's deputies found Parker riding a bicycle away from the residence and tried to stop him, but he appeared to be under the influence of unknown substances and became "uncooperative and combative", officials said. Parker allegedly fought with a female deputy and left bruises on her arms. The deputy used a Taser on Parker "multiple times" during a struggle, officials said. A second deputy helped handcuff Parker and place him in the backseat of a patrol unit, when they saw that he was sweating and breathing heavily, authorities said.|
|2014-08-14||Wagner, Sonny (52)||Kansas (Newton)||A single officer responded to a domestic violence call, met Wagner at the front door of his home. The officer reported he told Wagner to put the knife down, but he refused. Wagner then raised the knife and walked toward the officer. The officer then fired his service weapon twice, hitting Wagner in the chest.|
|2014-08-14||Showman, Diana (19)||California (San Jose)||A woman was fatally shot by police after she pointed a cordless drill designed to appear as an Uzi firearm. The officer who shot Showman, Wakana Okuma, was CIT trained. Showman had bipolar disorder.|
|2014-08-13||Zavala, Jacinto (21)||Colorado (Greeley)||Zavala was shot by police. Family told the media Zavala was a veteran and had PTSD.|
|2014-08-13||Cusseaux, Michelle (50)||Arizona (Phoenix)||Michelle Cusseaux, a woman with mental illness was shot and killed by Phoenix Sgt. Percy Dupra after her family and mental health workers called for police assistance.|
|2014-08-13||unidentified male (??)||Texas (Houston)||When officers pulled over a driver suspected of driving a stolen pickup, the driver raised a gun at them. Officer Alton Baker then shot and killed the driver. Houston police officer John Calhoun was injured.|
|2014-08-13||Jones, Reagan||Alabama (Muscle Shoals)||Reagan Jones barricaded himself in his apartment at Arbor Village Apartments after shooting and injuring his sister. Jones fired a high-powered military-style rifle at officers, and a Florence SWAT officer fired two rounds at Jones, killing him. According to media reports, Jones was angry about a mental health appointment.|
|2014-08-12||DeVito, James (59)||New York (Suffern)||DeVito was hit by off-duty NYPD officer Richard Christopher who was driving under the influence of alcohol. Both drivers were killed.|
|2014-08-12||Christopher, Richard (32)||New York (Suffern)||Christopher, an off-duty NYPD officer, was driving under the influence of alcohol and hit James DeVito. Both drivers were killed.|
|2014-08-12||Lopez-Gonzalez, Gabriel (22)||California (San Fernando)||Police shot and killed Lopez-Gonzalez who, according to media reports, had held his girlfriend hostage. Online cell phone footage shows police barrage.|
|2014-08-12||Pifer, Ronald (54)||Michigan (Fairfield Township)||Pifer reportedly pointed a shotgun at police. According to media reports, Pifer suffered from mental illness.|
|2014-08-11||Brennan, Daniel (51)||New York (Palenville)||Parole officer Mroczek killed his estranged wife and boyfriend (Pammi Mroczek, aged 49, and her boyfriend, Daniel Brennan, aged 51; Mroczek committed suicide after a police chase.|
|2014-08-11||Mroczek, Pammi (49)||New York (Palenville)||Parole officer Mroczek killed his estranged wife and boyfriend (Pammi Mroczek (49), Daniel Brennan (51)), then suicided after a police chase.|
|2014-08-11||Ford, Ezell (25)||California (Los Angeles)||Ford was shot and killed by LAPD officers Sharlton Wampler and Antonio Villegas, who say Ford was acting suspiciously when they engaged him in a physical altercation. He allegedly knocked one officer to the ground and was trying to get his gun when his partner fired two shots. The officer on the ground pulled out a backup gun and shot Ford in the back. According to witnesses, Ford was unarmed and on the ground when killed. According to his family, Ford suffered from mental illness, and the officers knew him and knew of that. The police chief and inspector general recommended that the Police Commission find the shooting justified on the basis that Ford was trying to grab the officer's gun. The police commission rejected that recommendation and found that Wampler was wrong to use deadly force but found against Villegas only on drawing his weapon early in the confrontation.|
|2014-08-11||Gonzalez, Jose Manuel (18)||Texas (Dallas)||Neighbors told media Gonzalez attacked his mother, father and grandmother. Officers saw Gonzalez with two knives. The teen refused to drop the knives so Senior Cpl. Kevin Gladden shot and then Tased him. Police said he died at the hospital.|
|2014-08-11||Davis, Eddie||Texas (DeKalb)||Officers responding to a disturbance call at residence were fired upon Eddie Davis who wounded one officer in the leg. Gun shots were returned and suspect suffered fatal injuries.|
|2014-08-11||Harris, Torrez (52)||Mississippi (Canton)||Harris shot and killed his step-daughter and ran to a nearby laundry where officers shot and killed him. Friends and family were surprised.|
|2014-08-10||Bandy, Tyrone "Ty" (45)||Washington (Burien)||Police responded to domestic violence call, got girlfriend out of the house and negotiated while SWAT teams lined up. After midnight the man started shooting with shotgun and handgun. Police returned fire, killing him.|
|2014-08-11||Taylor, Dillon (20)||Utah (South Salt Lake)||Police arrived at a parking lot of a convenience store, in response to an anonymous caller reporting that there were several men who appeared to be gang members looking for trouble, in which one of them flashed a gun. In a video released to the public, Officer Bron Cruz's body camera shows him approaching Dillon Taylor, in front of the store, and repeatedly ordering him to show his hands, which were in his waistband under his shirt. Taylor is alleged to have said "Nah, fool." Cruz fired two shots at Taylor, hitting him in the chest and abdomen. Taylor later died, and did not have a weapon on him during the shooting. Officer Cruz said he perceived a threat when Taylor made a gesture of reaching for a gun in his pockets. In September 2014, the shooting was ruled justified by Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill. Officer Cruz, in a deposition, stated that although he "wasn't about to shoot [Taylor] in the back," he was "100 percent convinced when I saw him turn around it was gonna be a gunfight." In a video released in June 2015, Dillon can be seen wearing headphones until the officer removes them after the shooting.|
|2014-08-09||Cornelio Morales, Alberto (41)||California (Walnut Park)||A gunman shot and injured a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy at 4 am., and after a manhunt was found hiding in a dumpster.|
|2014-08-09||Penderghest, Joseph (40)||Pennsylvania (Springfield Township)||Officials say troopers approached Penderghest after a car accident. They saw him cutting himself with a knife. Troopers attempted to stop him from harming himself using verbal commands, pepper spray and stun guns, but were unsuccessful. Police say Penderghest advanced toward them with the knife and troopers shot and killed him. Deputies were not identified.|
|2014-08-09||Brown, Michael (18)||Missouri (Ferguson)||Brown was fatally shot by officer Darren Wilson at 2:15 pm. According to officer Wilson and several witnesses, Brown, who was unarmed, assaulted a police officer, and reached for the officer's handgun. The officer then shot Brown. Some witnesses stated that Brown did not assault the officer or go for his gun, but that the patrol car door was opened so close and with such force that it bounced off Brown and closed on the officer. Additionally, some witnesses state Brown had his hands in the air when he was shot dead by the officer and others say he did not. All available evidence and subsequent investigations found Wilson's version of the event and witnesses supporting him credible. Several witnesses, most of them attempting to support Brown, were found to have lied and provided false testimony or simply admitted to investigators they were lying.|
|2014-08-09||Paulino, Jose, Jr. (38)||Pennsylvania (Tamaqua)||Paulino was "Running around, yelling obscenities, and the employee of the market and a bystander called 911." Paulino was unarmed, but he wouldn't comply with officers, so they stunned with several times with a taser gun, according to State Police.|
|2014-08-08||Higgins, Justin Wayne (23)||Arkansas, (Fort Smith)||According to police reports in the media, Higgens was shot and killed by an off-duty deputy after briefly holding a friend at gunpoint |
|2014-08-08||unidentified (??)||Michigan (Detroit)||Officer noticed drugs inside a car during traffic stop. Driver took off with officer hanging on to the car. Officer shot the driver in the chest, fell to the ground and was shaken but not injured.|
|2014-08-08||Uncles, Austin David (26)||Colorado (Denver)||Uncles, described in the media as having a "long criminal record in Utah" was shot in the torso after he allegedly pulled a gun on troopers while they were trying to arrest him.|
|2014-08-07||Reyes-Torres, Jose (20)||California (Folsom)||The first officer to arrive confronted a single suspect who was armed with a large knife. That officer shot the suspect who is believed to have stabbed a woman and an infant located at the scene.|
|2014-08-07||Wagner, Regan (23)||Texas (Longview)||Wagner was reportedly driving on his way to work when he was shot to death by a police officer during a traffic stop.|
|2014-08-06||Dozer, Michael (26)||California (Bakersfield)||Dozer allegedly poured gasoline on a woman and tried to set her on fire.|
|2014-08-06||Pickard Jr., James (51)||Hawaii (Pearl City)||A man in a stolen car advanced towards a police car, and officers fired at him.|
|2014-08-06||Lake, Jeremy (19)||Oklahoma (Tulsa)||Jeremy Lake was allegedly shot by his girlfriend's father, Tulsa police officer Shannon Kepler, in front of Lake's home. Kepler, who was off-duty at the time of the shooting, turned himself in to authorities afterwards. Kepler was booked on a charge of first-degree murder, and his wife was booked on a charge of accessory to murder. On August 19, the district's attorney formally charged Kepler with one count of first-degree murder and one count of shooting with intent to kill, for allegedly firing at his daughter. Wife Gina Kepler was arrested as accessory on about August 7.|
|2014-08-05||Crawford, John (22)||Ohio (Beavercreek)||Crawford was holding an air rifle he picked up from a Walmart shelf when Beavercreek police officer Sean Williams shot him twice. Surveillance video from the Walmart store shows Crawford was turned from the responding Sgt. David Darkow and Officer Sean Williams. Neither officer recognized the cell phone in Crawford's hand as he conversed with the mother of his children. Sgt. David Darkow returned to work August 21. According to a prosecutor, charges of murder, reckless homicide, and negligent homicide were considered by the grand jury. In September 2014, a grand jury determined that no charges will be filed against the two officers.|
|2014-08-05||Rowe, Donyale (37)||Ohio (Cincinnati)||Cincinnati officers Mark Bode and Thomas Weigard pulled over a blue BMW sport utility vehicle after the driver changed lanes without signaling. Police cameras shows passenger Rowe ran from the car. An officer can be heard shouting, "He's (expletive) got a gun! Shoot him!" Officers have not been |
|2014-08-05||Hudson, Tommy (53)||Virginia (Hudgins)||Recently retired Virginia State Police Master Trooper Tommy Hudson committed suicide with a gunshot to his chest.|
|2014-08-04||Flores, Manuel (28)||New Mexico (Albuquerque)||Man shot after attempting to ram car into Bernalillo County Sheriff's deputy Sam Rodriguez's vehicle.|
|2014-08-03||Rodriguez, Maria (42)||California (Bakersfield)||Rodriguez was shot by Kern County deputies after she pointed a realistic-looking BB handgun at them from on top a pile of stones, at a stones business. The Kern County coroner initially identified the deceased as Sarah Bustamante, age 32. Deputies were not identified.|
|2014-08-03||Hines, Vincent (58)||Texas (Houston)||An armed bank robbery suspect was shot by Harris County Sheriff deputies. Officers were not identified.|
|2014-08-03||Armstrong, Justin (28)||Arizona (Pinetop)||Armstrong, an armed shooting suspect, shot in Hon-Dah casino parking lot. Officers were not identified.|
|2014-08-03||Doll, Steve Matthew (40)||California (Stockton)||Doll was shot by California Highway Patrol officer Officer Ben Schiesser after chase by car and on foot.|
|2014-08-03||Vang, Yee (20)||Minnesota (St. Paul)||A carjacking suspect shot at police officers, and officers returned fire, killing the suspect. Police identified the officers involved in the shooting as Laura Finnegan, Dan Gleason, Xiong Yang and Shawn Filiowich.|
|2014-08-03||Swearingen, Ryan (27)||Iowa (Fort Madison)||Ryan Swearingen, who was armed with a knife, was shot by Officer Karl Judd during an incident in Swearingen's home.|
|2014-08-03||Calhoun, JaCorey (23)||California (Oakland)||Alameda County sheriff's deputy Derek Thoms shot JaCorey Calhoun, 23, a possible suspect in a violent home-invasion robbery and pistol whipping early Sunday, hours after he fled from a car stop and hid in the yard of a home.|
|2014-08-03||Lanza, Mark (23)||Arizona (Phoenix)||Lanza fired shot at police who arrived at a condominium complex responding to a call of a burglary, and officers returned fire, killing Lanza. Officers were not identified.|
|2014-08-03||Abrego, Omar||California (Los Angeles)||Omar Abrego, 37 and a father of 3, was declared dead Aug. 3 about 12 hours after he was arrested by the two gang-unit sergeants, according to officials. The sergeants took Abrego into custody after they spotted him driving fast in South L.A. and nearly striking a pedestrian in a crosswalk, according to the LAPD. Family members and witnesses told media they saw officers beating Abrego. "They were beating him real bad, and he died of the wounds," said Yair Abrego, the victim’s brother. Names of officers involved were not released.|
|2014-08-02||Ramirez, Cedric Oscar (24)||California (Los Angeles)||Seeking to arrest Ramirez on parole violations, a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy fought with him in a residential driveway where Ramirez shot at them. The unnamed deputy returned fire, killing bystander Frank Al Mendoza, 54. Ramirez held Mrs. Mendoza hostage for over seven hours before a tactical team shot and killed him.|
|2014-08-02||Woodson, Tyree (38)||Maryland (Baltimore)||Police say Woodson's fatal gunshot wound was self-inflicted. That would mean that he smuggled his gun into a police station after police brought him there for having several open warrants. "Things don't seem quite right here," said Baltimore Councilman Carl Stokes. "This person could have a gun, a high caliber gun, that could be used against other officers and then he allegedly kills himself." Aftermath: Pending.|
|2014-08-02||Mendoza, Frank Al (54)||California (Los Angeles)||Mendoza was a bystander to the attempted arrest of Cedric Oscar Ramirez in front of his home when he was shot and killed by an unnamed Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy. Ramirez took Mrs. Mendoza hostage before being killed by an LAPD tactical team.|
|2014-08-01||Calloway, Anthony (27)||Georgia (Atlanta)||A Fulton County sheriff’s deputy shot and killed Calloway in East Point after the man shot at officers and their dog. The deputy who killed Calloway was not identified in the media.|
|2014-08-01||Pierre, Daniel (42)||New Jersey (Winslow Township)||Described by relatives having "struggled with drug addiction," Pierre was shot and killed by Winslow Township police, who declined to say why they'd been called there. The officers who killed Pierre were not identified in the media.|
- List of killings by law enforcement officers by countries
- Death in custody
- Encounter killings by police (India)
- List of American police officers killed in the line of duty
- List of cases of police brutality
- Lists of killings by law enforcement officers
- List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States
- Lynching in the United States
- Police brutality in the United States
- Police misconduct
- Police riots in the United States
- Police use of deadly force in the United States
- Marion County man dead in officer involved shooting, WDAM.com, August 31, 2014.
- "Reno robbery suspect dies in shootout with police", Reno Gazette Journal, September 1, 2014.
- "Nampa man, 42, killed in shootout with Reno police", Idaho Statesman, September 2, 2014.
- Man killed in officer-involved shooting at local truck stop, Laredo Morning Times, August 31, 2014.
- Man Killed In Officer-Involved Shooting Identified, KGNS.tv, August 31, 2014.
- Texas cops shoot mentally ill man armed with pellet gun until ‘he had no face’, therawstory.com, September 5, 2014.
- police shooting leaves 1 dead, KMBC.com, August 31, 2014.
- One Killed in Officer Involved Shooting Archived 2014-09-02 at the Wayback Machine., KWCH.com, August 31, 2014.
- KC police ID man killed in altercation and say he shot at officers, kansascity.com, August 31, 2014.
- "Police find gun arsenal inside Queen Anne home", KING5.com, September 2, 2014.
- Sheriff: Suspect shot, killed by Orange County deputies serving warrant, WESH.com, August 29, 2014.
- "Officer Kills Himself Outside Suburban Philadelphia Police Station", NBC10.com, September 13, 2014.
- Lower Providence police officer who took his own life is identified as Mark Wells, TimesHerald.com, September 13, 2014.
- Police: Deputies shoot, kill suicidal man, Redding Record Searchlight, August 29, 2014.
- "Authorities ID man shot by deputies", Redding Record Searchlight, August 29, 2014.
- "Inmate shot and killed at Eastern Oregon Correctional Institution in Pendleton", Oregonian, August 29, 2014.
- "Motorcyclist dies while in Mohave County custody" Archived 2014-08-30 at Archive.is, Arizona Daily Sun, August 30, 3014.
- "Dead Arizona motorcyclist had felony warrants", azcentral.com, September 1, 2014.
- Deputy shoots and kills hatchet-wielding man, Seguin Gazette, August 29, 2014.
- Man shot by San Pat Co. deputy dies Thursday, August 28, 2014.
- Deputies: Armed man killed in officer-involved shooting, KCRA.com, August 28, 2014.
- Man fatally shot after reportedly charging Sutter County deputies with pistol[permanent dead link], Modesto Bee, August 29, 2014.
- Police shoot, kill armed man outside day-care center in Ramsey, St. Paul Star Tribune, August 28, 2014.
- Officers involved in Ramsey shooting identified, KARE11.com, August 29, 2014.
- "Man fatally shot in Ramsey, two officers who fired identified", Star Tribune, August 29, 2014
- Manatee County Sheriff Deputy kills man who charged at him with samurai sword, Bradenton Herald, August 28, 2014.
- Manatee sheriff's office releases name of deputy who killed sword-wielding man Archived 2014-08-29 at Archive.is, Bradenton Herald, August 29, 2014.
- St. Paul police kill man; witness says rock-throwing suspect charged at officer, St. Paul Star Tribune, August 28, 2014.
- St. Paul police officers who shot and killed man ID'd, St. Paul Star Tribune, August 29, 2014.
- Bloomfield man killed in police-involved shooting Archived 2014-09-01 at the Wayback Machine., Farmington Daily Times, August 27, 2014.
- Family of Bloomfield man shot by police claims shooting was unprovoked Archived 2014-09-01 at the Wayback Machine., Farmington Daily Times, August 29, 2014.
- Police claim shooting justified, officer clear of charges Archived 2015-04-02 at the Wayback Machine., Four Corners News, January 6, 2015.
- Armed man killed in deputy involved shooting in Livingston Parish identified, WAFB.com, August 27, 2014.
- Dallas police detail Wednesday morning’s officer-involved shooting that left two dead in North Dallas, The Dallas Morning News, August 27, 2014.
- COPS TV Show Audio Technician Dies, Hit By Police Fire, WOWT.com, August 27, 2014.
- 'Cops' Crew Member Killed in Omaha Police Shooting, ABC News, August 27, 2014.
- Man who allegedly shot Los Angeles County Sheriff’s detective in Lynwood killed following standoff, Long Beach Press Telegram, August 26, 2014.
- Man Fatally Shot in Lynwood Standoff Fired on Detectives Unprovoked: Sheriff’s Department, KTLA.com, August 29, 2014.
- Police Release 911 Call Related to Deadly Shooting, everythinglubbock.com, August 27, 2014.
- Grand Junction police involved in fatal shooting, Denver Post, August 25, 2014.
- Man shot by officers is remembered by loved ones, nbc11news.com, August 27, 2014.
- Man Dies in Officer Involved Shooting, WSAZ.com, August 25, 2014.
- Police say officer killed armed kidnap suspect in Pleasant Grove, Dallas Morning News, August 26, 2014.
- Oklahoma City police identify officer, dog involved in Sunday night pursuit that ended in deadly shooting, Oklahoman, August 25, 2014.
- Man dies in police custody in Columbia County[permanent dead link], WTEV.com, August 25, 2014.
- Police release more information on Sunday shooting, Medford Mail Tribune, August 25, 2014.
- Investigators identify Ottawa (KS) teen killed in police shooting, KMBC.com, August 24, 2014.
- Aunt of teen shot by Ottawa, Kan., police says he didn’t have to die, Kansas City Star, August 24, 2014.
- Phoenix SWAT officers involved in fatal shooting, azcentral.com, August 24, 2014.
- Officials: Man dead in police-involved shooting, Chicago Tribune, August 24, 2014.
- Officials: 2 men dead in separate police-involved shootings, Chicago Tribune, August 24, 2014.
- In Loving Memory of DeSean Pittman, Giveforward.com, August 26, 2014.
- Two victims from police shooting in Chatham are identified , Chicago Sun Times, August 29, 2014.
- Police in Howard County shoot, kill man they said threatened them with a knife, Washington Post, August 23, 2014.
- Police identify officers, man in Ellicott City shooting incident, wbaltv.com, August 26, 2014.
- Lowell police officer charged in fatal crash, Boston Globe, September 17, 2014.
- West Palm Beach police ID man who died Saturday after being shot by officer, Palm Beach Post, August 25, 2014.
- Atlanta cop charged with murder had few discipline problems at APD, Atlanta Journal-Constitution, August 28, 2014.
- Atlanta police officer accused of killing woman he met on Craigslist, CBS46.com, August 28, 2014.
- "Adairsville police chief issues statement in connection with death of Lt. Matt Fowler", northwestgeorgianews.com, August 23, 2014.
- San Bernardino police officer shot twice; suspect killed by trainee., Los Angeles Times, August 22, 2014.
- Ellicott City man dies after stabbing himself, then being shot by police, Washington Post, August 23, 2014.
- "Man Tased by deputies dies in custody in Baltimore County", Baltimore Sun, August 21, 2014.
- "Northeast Philly shooting leaves suspect dead, officer hurt" Archived 2014-08-21 at Archive.is, The Intelligencer, August 20, 2014.
- "Harriman officers shoot, kill woman in her home", wbir.com, August 23, 2014.
- "DA: Officers justified in fatal shooting", Knoxville News Sentinel, August 23, 2014.
- Gorner, Jeremy (August 20, 2014). "Man, 21, fatally shot by police on Far South Side". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Suspect's stolen gun not loaded; cop fired 9 times, report says", Orlando Sentinel, August 26, 2014.
- Boey, Valerie (August 19, 2014). "OPD: Woman killed outside Orlando bar struck by officer's bullet". MYFox Orlando. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- Palmer, Greg. Haysville Police Shoot, Kill Man During Domestic Disturbance, WBIW, August 19, 2014.
- Live Blog: St. Louis City police shoot, kill knife-wielding suspect, August 19, 2014.
- Miramontez, Randy (August 18, 2014). "Man Dead After Officer Involved Shooting". celebrityexaminer.com. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Cerritos College police chief dies of apparent suicide", Long Beach Press Telegram, August 19, 2014.
- Serna, Joseph; Vives, Ruben (August 18, 2014). "A gunman is killed and LAPD officer wounded in rolling gun battle". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Barricade Situation Ends When SWAT Team Shoots, Kills Man in Bellflower; Hostage Rescued", KTLA.com, August 25, 2014.
- "Luther Lathron Walker, 38", Los Angeles Times, August 31, 2014.
- "Autopsy shows man killed in Mexico standoff shot by officers", WMTW.com, August 25, 2014.
- "Partially naked man who died fleeing police ID'ed", mysanantonio.com, August 19, 2014.
- "Police: Cadet dies after shooting his ex and her mom and killing a family friend", Knoxville News Sentinel, August 16, 2014.
- "Three-year-old girl dies after father, police engage in gun battle", Washington Post, August 27, 2014.
- "Police ID man killed in Temple Hills shootout, believe he stabbed, shot his 3-year-old daughter after shooting caretakers", WJLA.com, August 27, 2014.
- "Man dies in Davenport police-involved shooting", WQAD, August 14, 2014.
- "Dante Parker: Family Mourns Man Who Died After Taser Used On Him". NewsOne. August 15, 2014. Retrieved September 20, 2014.
- "Suspect dies after officer-involved shooting in Newton" Archived 2014-08-26 at the Wayback Machine., KAKE.com, August 25, 2014.
- "Officer shoots, kills drill-wielding woman who threatened her family", San Jose Mercury News, August 14, 2014.
- "Parents speak out about life, death of woman shot and killed by police while holding drill", San Jose Mercury News, August 28, 2014.
- "Man fatally shot by police in Greeley", 9News, August 13, 2014.
- "Woman shot, killed by Phoenix police at apartment complex". AZFamily.com. August 16, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Mourners remember Phoenix woman killed in police shooting", azcentral.com, August 29, 2014.
- "Officer shot in north Houston; suspect dead", Houston Chronicle, August 13, 2014.
- "Officer shoots and kills stolen pickup suspect" Houston Chronicle, August 14, 2014.
- "ABI investigating fatal officer-involved shooting", WSFA, August 14, 2014.
- "Muscle Shoals gunman killed in police standoff was angry over mental health appointment", AL.com, August 28, 2014.
- "Off-duty officer involved in wrong-way crash in Suffern was DUI, police say", WABC.com, September 17, 2014.
- "Fatal San Fernando Police Shooting Caught on Camera". NBC Southern California. Retrieved October 19, 2014.
- "Anger, Shock and Sadness After Police Shooting that Left One Man Dead in San Fernando" Archived 2014-08-22 at Archive.is, San Fernando Valley Sun, August 22, 2014.
- "Police-involved fatal shooting in Lenawee County under investigation", MLIVE.com, August 22, 2014.
- "Identity released of man shot by deputies in Mich.", Toledo Blade, August 15, 2014.
- "Three dead in Catskill shooting", Albany Times Union, August 25, 2014.
- "LAPD chief, watchdog reportedly find police shooting justified". Fox News. 6 June 2015. Retrieved 6 June 2015.
- "Ezell Ford: The mentally ill black man killed by the LAPD two days after Michael Brown's death", LA Times, August 16, 2014
- Medina, Jennifer (August 22, 2014). "Despite Similar Shooting, Los Angeles's 'Bank of Trust' Tempers Reaction". The New York Times. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "L.A. Police Commission faults officers in Ezell Ford shooting". LA Times. 9 June 2015. Retrieved 10 June 2015.
- Dallas officers kill teen who stabbed 3 family members Archived 2014-08-26 at the Wayback Machine., KDFW.com, August 24, 2014.
- "Man killed in overnight shooting has been identified", ArkLaTex, August 11, 2014
- "Canton woman dies; Shooting suspect killed by police", WAPT.com, August 21, 2014
- "Burien man killed in shootout Sunday night identified". B-Town Blog. August 13, 2014. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Burien man killed in shootout with deputies identified", The Seattle Times, August 12, 2014
- Jauregui, Andres (October 1, 2014). "Officer's Fatal Shooting Of Unarmed Man Dillon Taylor Was Justified: Prosecutors". Huffington Post. Retrieved June 6, 2015.
Video of the incident (above) shows Taylor walking away with his hands in his waistband under his shirt.
- "Police identify man fatally shot in officer involved shooting in South Salt Lake" Archived 2014-08-18 at the Wayback Machine., KUTV, August 12, 2014
- http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/58472404-78/taylor-cruz-hands-gill.html.csp, Salt Lake City Tribune, September 30, 2014.
- "Video: Unarmed Utah Man Listening To Headphones When Killed By Police". MintPress News. 4 June 2015. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- "Gunman Shot, Killed After Shooting Deputy in Walnut Park: Sheriff's Dept.", KTLA, August 9, 2014.
- Suter, Leanne; Chu, Hanna (August 9, 2014). "Suspect who shot deputy killed in dumpster in Walnut Park". abc7.com. Retrieved September 30, 2014.
- "Man killed in altercation with State police identified", WGAL.com, August 10, 2014.
- "Ferguson, Missouri Community Furious After Teen Shot Dead By Police". The Huffington Post.
- "Tracking the Events in the Wake of Michael Brown's Shooting". 10 November 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2017 – via NYTimes.com.
- ABC News. "Exclusive: Watch George Stephanopoulos' Full Interview With Police Officer Darren Wilson". ABC News.
- Eckholm, Erik; Apuzzo, Matt (4 March 2015). "Darren Wilson Is Cleared of Rights Violations in Ferguson Shooting". Retrieved 16 December 2017 – via NYTimes.com.
- "Family, Friends React After Man Dies After Being Tased By Police" Archived 2014-08-26 at the Wayback Machine., pahomepage.com, August 9, 2014.
- "Man Killed After Brooken Hill Shootout ID'd", Southwest Times Record, August 22, 2014.
- "Man Flees Traffic Stop, Drags Officer With Car; Officer Manages To Shoot Driver", CBS Detroit, August 25, 2014.
- "Auto theft suspect shot by undercover trooper had long criminal record in Utah", thedenverchannel.com, August 22, 2014.
- "Suspect identified in stabbing of baby, woman in Folsom", KCRA.com, August 9, 2014.
- "Suspect in officer involved shooting at Akin Park died", KYTX.com, August 8, 2014.
- "Police shoot, kill man who allegedly tried to set woman on fire at gas station", Bakersfield Californian, August 24, 2014.
- "Police: Officer shoots man who tried setting woman on fire". Bakersfield Now. 26 KBAK - Sinclair Broadcasting. August 5, 2014. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- "Michael Laray Dozer (9446)". Fatal Encounters. August 6, 2014. Retrieved August 6, 2016.
- "Car theft suspect killed in police-involved shooting in Pearl City", KHON2, August 6, 2014.
- "Two Tulsa Police Officers Arrested After Fatal Shooting Of Daughter's Boyfriend", KOTV, August 6, 2014.
- "Okla. cop charged with killing daughter's boyfriend", CBS News, August 19, 2014.
- "Married Police Officers Arrested for Fatally Shooting Daughter's Boyfriend", CBS News, August 19, 2014.
- "Ohio man was carrying variable pump air rifle — not a toy — when cops killed him: attorney general", New York Daily News, August 7, 2014.
- "Police: 2 officers confronted, shot Walmart suspect waving weapon", WDT.com, date.
- Walmart Shooting: Family attorney says Crawford did nothing wrong, WHIO, September 26, 2014.
- "Chief: Police-involved shooting 'a fight for survival'", incinnati.com, August 5, 2014.
- "Officers on leave as investigation into fatal shooting continues", WLWT.com, August 6, 2014.
- "VSP investigate retired trooper’s death in Mathews County", WAVY.com, August 5, 2014.
- "Deputy, man killed in BCSO shooting ID'd", KOAT.com, August 7, 2014.
- "Suspect, deputy identified in Monday’s deputy-involved shooting", Albuquerque Journal, August 28, 2014.
- "Kern County deputies kill woman armed with BB gun" (Archived from the original), Associated Press, August 4, 2014.
- "Sheriff: Misidentification of woman killed by deputies 'tragic'", Bakersfield Californian, August 29, 2014.
- Levin, Steve (August 4, 2014). "Sheriff: Misidentification of woman killed by deputies 'tragic'". Bakersfield.com. Bakersfield Californian. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- "Attempted bank robbery suspect killed by HCSO deputies", Click2Houston, August 3, 2014.
- "1 dead, 2 injured in Arizona casino shooting", Associated Press, August 3, 2014.
- "Whiteriver resident named as the gunman", WMIcentral.com, August 8, 2014.
- "Justin Joe 'Cowboy' Armstrong", WMIcentral.com, August 8, 2014.
- "Officer identified in orchard shooting", News10, August 3, 2014.
- "Police: Officer Involved In Shooting Incident In St. Paul", WCCO, August 3, 2014.
- "St. Paul police identify carjacking suspect killed in shootout", Minneapolis Star Tribune, August 29, 2014.
- "Man killed in Fort Madison officer-involved shooting", WQAD, August 3, 2014.
- "Iowa Attorney General asked to review shooting", Houston Chronicle, August 23, 2014.
- "Oakland police investigate fatal officer-involved shooting" Archived 2014-08-06 at the Wayback Machine., KTVU, August 3, 2014.
- "Alameda County sheriff's deputy who shot suspect is IDd", sfgate.com, August 19, 2014.
- "Man dead in Phoenix after officer-involved shooting", AZCentral, August 3, 2014.
- "Man Dies After Violent Altercation With LAPD Officers a Week Before Ezell Ford Shooting, Family Says", KTLA, August 14, 2014.
- "LAPD probing man's death after struggle with sergeants during arrest", Los Angeles Times, August 12, 2014.
- "Cedric Oscar Ramirez, 24", Los Angeles Times, August 31, 2014.
- "Unarmed People of Color Killed by Police, 1999-2014". Gawker.com. December 8, 2014. Archived from the original on May 2, 2015.
- "Frank Al Mendoza, 54", Los Angeles Times, August 31, 2014.
- "Police ID man shot, killed in deputy-involved shooting", wsbtv.com, August 1, 2014.
- "Police ID Man Killed In Officer-Involved Shooting In Winslow Township", CBS Philly, August 1, 2014.