List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States, March 2014
This is a list of people reported killed by non-military law enforcement officers in the United States in March 2014, whether in the line of duty or not, and regardless of reason or method. The listing documents the occurrence of a death, making no implications regarding wrongdoing or justification on the part of the person killed or officer involved. Killings are arranged by date of the incident that caused death. Different death dates, if known, are noted in the description.
For lists of killings from other years, see: List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States.
The table below lists 21 individuals. (This number should update automatically when changes are saved.)
|Date||Name (Age) of Deceased||State (City)||Description|
|2014-03-27||Watson, Antoquan (27)||New Jersey (Atlantic City)||Antoquan Watson was shot and killed after an exchange of gunfire between him and police.|
|2014-03-26||Corkery, Stephen (30)||Washington (Spokane)||30-year-old armed robbery suspect, Stephen Corkery was shot and killed by Spokane police. Corkery was shot after police say they gave several commands to come out of the home, when he did police say he did so holding a firearm and advanced towards police.|
|2014-03-25||Redwine, Alfred (30)||New Mexico (Albuquerque)||Redwine was shot after police were called by a 14-year-old girl who said he threatened her with a gun. Police said he fired a shot during the confrontation.|
|2014-03-24||Valentino, Michael (27)||California (Hollywood Hills)||Police converged on a home after receiving a domestic disturbance call. Police exchanged gunfire with the suspect until he was mortally wounded. One LAPD officer was injured during the confrontation.|
|2014-03-22||Nieto, Alejandro (28)||California (San Francisco)||Officers responding to calls about a man with a gun approached him on a paved pedestrian path at Bernal Heights Park. Nieto appeared to draw a Taser as the officers approached, and the officers opened fire. Nieto was shot 14 times by four San Francisco Police Department officers. The officers believed that the Taser was a real firearm.|
|2014-03-20||Ruiz, Angel Francisco (42)||California (Salinas)||Police shot and killed Ruiz after he allegedly threatened them with a replica firearm outside a restaurant.|
|2014-03-19||Chang, Errol (34)||California (Pacifica)||Chang was shot eight times and killed by a Daly City police SWAT team who were outside the home, after he stabbed an officer in the arm at the end of a six-hour standoff, authorities said.|
|2014-03-19||Chaney, Ricardo (42)||California (Cleone)||Chaney, a suspect in the murder of a 79-year-old acquaintance in Eugene, Oregon and an attempted murder of a store owner, shot and killed Mendocino County Sheriff's Deputy Ricky Del Fiorentino with a rifle as he was being encountered by officers. Chaney was then shot and killed by a police officer.|
|2014-03-06||Roberts, Lonnie (47)||Montana (Hamilton)||Roberts called officers regarding an issue he was having with his wife, who was not home at the time of the incident. He became agitated and walked across the room towards a shotgun and was warned not to pick it up. He was then shot by Deputy Todd Wofford, Jr., a 3-year veteran of the Ravalli County Sheriff's Office. He died at the scene.|
|2014-03-18||Hendrix, Daquan (19)||Washington, D.C.||Metropolitan Police and Federal Agents were preparing to serve a homicide arrest warrant on the suspect when he emerged from a residence firing a handgun and was fatally shot by police.|
|2014-03-16||Garber, Brian (28)||Ohio (Lexington)||Sheriff's deputies were called for a domestic violence complaint and were told Garber had a gun. The deputies shot Garber 14 times after speaking with him for 90 seconds and determining him a threat. He was found to be unarmed but a grand jury returned no indictments against sheriff's deputies who shot him. |
|2014-03-12||Swoboda, Kelly (49)||Oregon (Portland)||Robbery suspect Swoboda was shot and killed by police; family reported that he suffered from mental illness and drug addictions.|
|2014-03-11||Boyd, James (38)||New Mexico (Albuquerque)||James Boyd shooting. Albuquerque police fatally shot James Boyd, 38, in the Sandia foothills following an hours-long standoff and after he threatened to kill officers with a small knife, authorities said. He died after officers fired stun guns, bean bags and six live rounds, authorities initially claimed. But a helmet-camera video showed Boyd, who claimed to be a federal agent, agreeing to walk down the mountain with them, gathering his things and having his back turned to the officers when they killed Boyd. On January 12, 2015, Sandy and Perez were charged with murder.|
|2014-03-11||Keyes, Albert William (53)||Kentucky (Louisville)||Deputies went to the Bluegrass Mobile Home Park to serve a felony warrant on a wanted individual. Police came into contact with Keyes, who lived at the target residence, and who insisted he was not the intended person of the warrant. When asked for identification, Keyes exited his home and fled the scene in his pickup. Police pursued Keyes until he stopped, left his vehicle and pointed a knife at the responding officers. He was then fatally shot by police. Upon further investigation, the police confirmed to the press that Keyes was not the subject of the warrant. The person of interest was another man who had moved out of the trailer park last year.|
|2014-03-10||Robinson, David L. (38)||Nevada (North Las Vegas)||The homeless Mr. Robinson was walking when stopped by Officer Raymond Lopez. Robinson was uncooperative and backed away from Lopez. He was later shot in the head in the backyard of an abandoned home. Relatives of the slain man have filed a civil rights lawsuit against the police department.|
|2014-03-09||Sambuunyam, Erdenebileg (40)||Illinois (Sleepy Hollow)||Police went to a domestic disturbance incident and attempted to restrain Sambuunyam, who had attacked and injured two people. Sambuunyam tried to cut the officers with a knife and was subsequently shot.|
|2014-03-08||Harmon, John (50)||California (Sacramento)||Police responded to a report of a man wielding a knife aboard a light-rail train. Police confronted Harmon and were unable to restrain him with a Taser. Harmon then charged towards the officers with his knife and was shot several times.|
|2014-03-07||Canter, Veronica Lynn (48)||California (Fresno)||Police responded to a 3:30 PM call about a woman behaving erratically near the caller's apartment. When the police arrived they found Canter inside the man's apartment. Although the two were acquainted, the woman did not live at the apartment. The two officers, one armed with a taser and one with a handgun, entered the apartment and found Canter armed with a kitchen knife. As Canter approached the officers she was hit with the taser but did not stop. She was then shot two times. She died at the scene.  |
|2014-03-03||White III, Victor (22)||Louisiana (Iberia Parish)||White, a black man from Iberia Parish, Louisiana, died in police custody. Authorities said the cause of death was a single, self-inflicted, gunshot wound in the back, fired by White while he sat handcuffed in the back of a police cruiser. But according to the Iberia Parish coroner, White had indeed shot himself, but in the front, not the back. The fatal wound was a gunshot to the right side of his chest, near the nipple. Federal authorities are currently conducting their own investigation.|
|2014-03-02||Nevarez, Gabriella Monique (22)||California (Citrus Heights)||Officers pulled over a suspected stolen vehicle occupied by Nevarez, who allegedly rammed a police car and fled. After a pursuit, police say Nevarez rammed a second police vehicle before officers shot and killed her.|
|2014-03-02||Shannon, Ryan Matthew (41)||California (Antelope)||Officers were responding to a report of shots fired when they found Shannon allegedly carrying an assault rifle while walking down the street. Police say Shannon refused to drop the weapon and instead pulled out a handgun and pointed it at them. Two Sacramento County deputies shot and killed him.|
- List of killings by law enforcement officers by countries
- Death in custody
- Encounter killings by police (India)
- List of American police officers killed in the line of duty
- List of cases of police brutality
- Lists of killings by law enforcement officers
- List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States
- Lynching in the United States
- Police brutality in the United States
- Police misconduct
- Police riots in the United States
- Police use of deadly force in the United States
- "UPDATE: Authorities ID Suspect Shot, Killed in Atlantic City Following Police Pursuit". CBS Local Philly. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Stephen Corkery responsible for at least 10 armed robberies", khq.com; accessed October 25, 2014.
- Man hit, killed by 3 shots from APD, autopsy says, abqjournal.com; accessed October 25, 2014.
- "Man killed in Hollywood Hills LAPD shooting identified". LA Times. March 26, 2014.
- "S.F. police shoot, kill armed man at Bernal Heights Park". San Francisco Chronicle. March 22, 2014.
- "Video Captures Salinas Police Fatally Shooting Man With Garden Shears On Busy Street Corner". CBS San Francisco. May 21, 2014.
- "Daly City police shoot, kill man after standoff in Pacifica". San Francisco Chronicle. March 19, 2014.
- Slain deputy Ricky Del Fiorentino recalled as devoted cop, San Francisco Chronicle, March 20, 2014.
- Maki, Kevin (8 March 2014). "Details released in Ravalli County shooting death". Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "D.C. police officer, agent kill man wanted in domestic homicide". Washington Post. March 18, 2014.
- Man shot in Lexington said he had gun, made death threats, mansfieldnewsjournal.com
- Portland police shooting: Officer shot and man killed in confrontation in Southwest Portland, Oregonlive.com; accessed October 25, 2014.
- "FBI Investigating Albuquerque Police Shooting of Camper". Huffington Post. March 28, 2014.
- "Man fatally shot by sheriff's deputies wasn't suspect they sought". WDRB 41 Louisville. March 12, 2014.
- "North Las Vegas officer who shot, killed homeless man was five-year veteran". 13 March 2014. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Las Vegas Review-Journal". Las Vegas Review-Journal. Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Man shot dead by Sleepy Hollow police identified". Chicago Tribune. March 12, 2014.
- "Armed man shot by police on light rail is identified". Sacramento Bee. March 12, 2014.
- Rosales, Erik (March 7, 2014). "Update: Woman Shot and Killed by Police Identified". KMPH Web. Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- Cano, Ricardo (March 7, 2014). "Woman killed in officer-involved shooting ID'd". collegian.csufresno.edu. "The Collegian - The student run newspaper for Fresno State". Retrieved July 12, 2016.
- "Police Wanted Us To Believe Freddie Gray Killed Himself. We've Heard Stories Like This Before". Huffington Post. May 1, 2015.
- "Sacramento County Coroner's office identifies two killed in officer-involved shootings". Sacramento Bee. March 2, 2014.