List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States, 2009
This is a list of people reported killed by non-military law enforcement officers in the United States in 2009, whether in the line of duty or not, and regardless of reason or method. The listing documents the occurrence of a death, making no implications regarding wrongdoing or justification on the part of the person killed or officer involved. Killings are arranged by date of the incident that caused death. Different death dates, if known, are noted in the description.
The table below lists 74 people.
|2009‑12‑31||Smith, Adam J.||Washington (Bothell)||Shot after refusing to drop a screwdriver that was recently used to stab another man in the face. Police were responding to report of domestic violence.|
|2009-12-21||Crable, David||Washington (Eatonville)||Shot after shooting and injuring deputies. Officers were responding to report of a domestic disturbance. One deputy later died of injuries.|
|2009-12-19||Vu, John C. (41)||Washington (Lacey)||Shot in the rear torso while attempting to flee a house surrounded by Thurston County deputies. The deputies were attempting to effect a warrant for Mr. Vu's arrest on second-degree murder charges.|
|2009-12-19||unnamed male||Washington (Des Moines)||Shot after pointing gun at police. Police were approaching man as prime suspect in recent report of domestic violence involving a gun.|
|2009-12-18||Hogg, Darrin (22)||California (Bakersfield)||Shot by Bakersfield police officers who were responding to a report of a fight. They did not find the fight but heard gunshots and continued to investigate. One officer saw Hogg walking and asked to speak with him. Hogg walked away but as the officer approached, Hogg fired at him. Two more officers arrived at the scene and the shootout continued. Hogg was shot. He died at a local hospital.|
|2009-12-17||Ward, John Calhoun||Texas (Dumas)||John Calhoun Ward was attempting to murder his girlfriend on the night of December 17, 2009. When police arrived, he had her at gunpoint and was shot by Dumas police.|
|2009-12-13||Morales, Nicholas Alvarado||Colorado (Denver)||Officer responding to "shots fired" call, spotted Morales with the spotlight on his patrol car. Morales turned and pointed his gun at the officer. The officer fired five shots, fatally wounding Morales.|
|2009-12-07||Reuter, Brandon Michael||California (Redding)||Shot after threatening police with gun, that turned out to be a BB gun that looked like a 9mm handgun. When shot, a police dog had a hold on Reuter. He was being pursued for having stolen $3000 from a bank at gunpoint.|
|2009-12-01||Clemmons, Maurice||Washington (Seattle)||Shot after refusing commands to stop and after reaching into waist area. Clemmons was the prime suspect in a recent killing of four police officers in Lakewood, Washington two days earlier.|
|2009-11-17||Nestor, Michael C||Georgia (Augusta)||Shot while backing vehicle towards officers. Nestor was wanted on a drugs possession warrant. Police approached Nestor at his home while loading possessions into his vehicle in an apparent attempt to flee.|
|2009-11-14||Gastin, Bradley||Georgia (Macon)||Shot after attempting to run over police in stolen vehicle. Officers were pursuing the vehicle after a report of a recent carjacking.|
|2009-11-12||Ramsey, Terry||Georgia (Richmond County)||Shot after refusing to put down the knife Ramsey was holding to the throat of his estranged wife. Police were responding to a report of a domestic disturbance.|
|2009-11-06||Pierce, Chad||Georgia (Arlington)||Shot while reaching towards glove box. Pierce had led officers on a high speed, 20 mile chase that ended with Pierce crashing his vehicle into a ditch. No weapon was found in vehicle.|
|2009-11-03||Hawkins, Landris (28)||Arkansas (Little Rock)||Shot to death by police after making "a threatening move." Hawkins had allegedly used a kitchen knife to cut himself and his grandmother, who officers say he would not let out of the house when they arrived. The man had a history of mental illness, according to police and family members.|
|2009-11-01||LaBossiere, John||Washington (Lake Stevens)||Shot during confrontation with police. Officer was responding to report of armed man forcing entry into home where LaBossiere's estranged wife was staying.|
|2009-10-28||Abdullah, Luqman Ameen (aka Thomas, Christopher)||Michigan (Dearborn)||Shot 21 times during FBI raid on Dearborn warehouse.|
|2009-10-28||Cooper, John||California (Fresno)||Cooper called 911 and said he would kill "the first cop I see." He called again indicating thoughts of suicide. When Fresno Police officers arrived Cooper was pointing what appeared to be a gun at his head. When he pointed the gun at officers they shot and killed him. It turned out to be a toy gun.|
|2009-10-27||Vargas, Steven Anthony (32)||California (Fresno)||When Vargas crashed his SUV into a parked minivan a neighbor flagged down a Fresno Police officer. Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer reported that witnesses told the office the driver had a weapon and appeared to be on PCP. The office approached the vehicle and, feeling Vargas was reaching for a weapon, fired his pistol several times, killing Vargas. No gun was found. In December 2011, the City of Fresno was ordered to pay a $1.3 million settlement in an excessive-force case based on the shooting.|
|2009-10-23||Riggins, Sara||Georgia (Albany)||Shot as officers responded to a domestic disturbance.|
|2009-10-19||unnamed male||Georgia (Austell)||Shot while attempting to run over deputies with vehicle. Police were responding to report of a suspicious person climbing a fence. When the deputies approached the man in his car and ordered him to get out, he drove towards one of the deputies.|
|2009-10-11||Bentley, Dartanya Jr
|Georgia (Rincon)||Died from injuries in motor vehicle accident after fleeing vehicle ran over spike strips placed in road by deputy. Bentley was originally stopped for speeding, but fled in vehicle when asked for his driver's license. As high speed chase ensued. After running over the spikes Bentley and his passenger died in the accident that also injured a person in a different vehicle.|
|2009-10-11||Davis, Erik Von||Georgia (Stockbridge)||Shot after striking officer in the neck with a hammer. Police were responding to the sounds of shouting. Davis was in the doorway of a home "yelling all sorts of crazy things".|
|2009-10-9||Hernandez, Frank||New York (New York)||Hernandez abducted a woman in Long Island and drove her to a supermarket before sexually assaulting her. Officers responding to a 911 call tried to pull Hernandez out of the car, at which point he grabbed a pellet gun and was shot in the stomach and wrist.|
|2009-10-2||Dempsey, Dana||Minnesota (Elk River)||Shot in front of court house, where he was to appear for a controlled substance charge he had pleaded guilty to. Officers state he drew and fired a revolver before he was shot by Capt. Dan Andren and court security deputy Nicole Stottlemyre".|
|2009-09-23||Graham, Lonnie (28)||California (Fresno)||Graham, a wanted parolee, was shot by Fresno Police early Wednesday morning. Friends say he was trying to surrender to police. Police called him out of the house and shot him when he did not drop a shiny object in his hand. A cell phone was found near his body.|
|2009-09-19||Hysaw, Katherine||Arizona (Phoenix)||Officers were responding to calls of Hysaw threatening her neighbors with a knife. When they entered her apartment, Hysaw started throwing bottles at them. Officers attempted to use a taser, but missed. Hysaw then attacked one of the officers with a butcher's knife. After 2 rubber bullets failed to stop her, one of the officers fired 2 rounds from his rifle. Hysaw died at the scene.|
|2009-09-15||Villareal, Christopher||Washington (Richland)||Shot after attempting to ram a police officer on a motorcycle with his car. Police were pursuing Villareal for erratic driving. In March 2013, a federal judge determined that a wrongful death lawsuit against the officer could proceed to trial.|
|2009-09-10||Jason Williams (32)||Washington (Seattle)||Shot after pulling out a toy/replica gun. Deputies confronted two men as prime suspects in recent robbery of a credit union. The second man was Tasered and arrested.|
|2009-09-10||unnamed male||Georgia (St. Simons Island)||Shot after threatening to kill police with high-powered rifle. SWAT team had responded to report that the man had barricaded himself in his house with a gun after code enforcement officers informed him he had too many signs in front of his house.|
|2009-09-04||unnamed male||Washington (Federal Way)||Shot after threatening to kill officers during confrontation with police. Officers contacted the man while searching for a suspect in a bank robbery earlier in the day.|
|2009-09-02||Ayers, Jonathan||Georgia (Toccoa)||Shot after reversing vehicle into an officer. Undercover police had approached Ayers as part of an investigation into drugs and prostitution.|
|2009-08-15||Burkett, Joseph Leonard||Washington (Olympia)||Shot after pulling out gun and not allowing police to take it from him. Burkett was in the emergency room of a hospital being treated for a head injury. Police were called in when Burkett became agitated. The officers confiscated two guns from Burkett and remained while he was treated.|
|2009-08-10||Naranjo, Brian Christopher||Colorado (Longmont)||Shot after pointing handgun at officers. Police had stopped Naranjo on a routine traffic stop when it was discovered Naranjo had an outstanding arrest warrant and fled in his vehicle. A high speed chase ended with a police car ramming Naranjo's vehicle.|
|2009-08-06||Larson, Shawn||Washington (Lake Stevens)||Shot after fighting with deputy at truck scales. Larson had been pulled over for driving erratically.|
|Georgia (Duluth)||Shot after Schwartz confronted officer with a handgun. A single officer responded to a Baker's report of a suicidal person. Baker was shot by accident.|
|2009-07-14||Serna, Jesus (32)||California (Fresno)||Fresno County Sheriff's SWAT team officers responded to reports of a man with a gun at a tire shop on South Elm Ave near West North Ave. just south of Fresno City limits. Serna, armed with a rifle, fired on the arriving Deputies before they got out of their cars, wounding them with glass fragments. Serna then hid in a nearby industrial area. Deputies found him and called for him to come out. Serna refused and was shot and killed by deputies.|
|2009-07-10||Poss, Jason||Washington (Spokane)||Shot after refusing orders to drop knife and threatening officers with the knife. Police approached Poss as the primary suspect in two recent reports of assault and home breakins.|
|2009-07-10||Player, Jr., Woodrow||California (Athens)||LASD sheriff deputies initiated a traffic stop on Player after receiving a 911 call by a woman who said that a man fitting his description threatened her and her child with a gun. When the deputies pulled up behind his car, Player got out of the car and started running into an alley. He was then shot multiple times by the deputies A spokesman for the Sheriff's Department claimed that Player reached into his waistband and turned towards the deputies. Other witnesses, however, stated that he was unarmed, and was shot while running.|
|2009-07-07||Pebles, John||Washington (Bellevue)||Shot after attacking officer with a knife. Police were responding to a report of domestic disturbance.|
|2009-07-04||Slater, James L., Jr||Washington (Woodinville)||Shot while holding knife. Deputies were investigating report of domestic disturbance.|
|2009-07-02||Esparza, Hector||Colorado (Denver)||Police were responding to a family disturbance, in which Esparza has attacked his step-father. Esparza was in a bedroom, and claiming to be armed with a gun. Esparza suddenly exited the bedroom and raised a gun towards two officers. Officers immediately fired and killed Esparza.|
|2009-07-02||Monnie, Dwight||Washington (Arlington)||Shot by deputy responding to a domestic violence call.|
|2009-06-27||Gastineau, Robbin||Nebraska (Hershey)||Shot during a Domestic Disturbance in which female called 911. The man approached Deputy with a sword and refused to drop weapon.|
|2009-06-24||unnamed male||Georgia (Fort Oglethorpe)||Shot after shooting a police officer in bullet-proof vest. The man was resisting arrest in a restaurant parking lot.|
|2009-06-18||McCoy Jr., Lawrence||Florida (Miami Beach)||McCoy stole a taxi after pistol-whipping the driver and engaged in a vehicle pursuit with police officers. He later crashed into an oncoming car. After getting out of the taxi, he ran and started a foot pursuit. The officers initially claimed that McCoy engaged in a "blazing gun battle." McCoy was shot 9 to 11 times. However, the police issued a new statement, revealing the find of a pistol that they believed belonged to McCoy.|
|2009-06-14||Shehada, Husien||Florida (Miami Beach)||Shehada was shot by police after he stopped and put his hands in the air. Before, his brother Samer got into a fight with several men. When the police responded, they claimed that received reports that one of the brothers was hiding an AK-47 under his T-shirt. No 911 calls mentioned a gun being involved. A video recorded by a grocery store CCTV camera showed that Husein Shehada was actually carrying a coat hangar.|
|2009-06-10||Meservey, Niles (51)||Washington (Everett)||Niles Meservey was killed after being shot eight times by Officer Troy Meade while sitting in his car outside a hotel, intoxicated and driving through a chain link fence. According to Meade, the car was coming back toward him when he unholstered his gun and began firing at Meservey. In October 2009, Meade was charged with second-degree murder and first-degree manslaughter. In July 2010, Meade was found not guilty of the charges. Meservey's family filed a $15 million civil lawsuit against Meade and the city of Everett.|
|2009-06-10||Velarde, Eugene Paul||Colorado (Denver)||Velarde was shot when he pointed a pistol at a pursuing officer during a foot chase. Velarde had earlier led the officer in a car chase ending when Velarde struck the unmarked police vehicle.|
|2009-06-08||Wiggs, David LeRoy||Colorado (Pueblo)||Shot while holding handgun. Police were approaching Wiggs related to arrest warrants for felony sexual assault.|
|2009-05-31||Padilla, Roberto (33)||California (Fresno)||Padilla was being followed by Fresno Police as a suspect in a string of armed store robberies. When he left a grocery store police followed him down an alley and confronted him. He pulled a weapon and did not drop it as ordered. The five police officers fired 16 times, killing Padilla. It was later confirmed he had just robbed the store.|
|2009-05-30||Bass, Darrell B.||Washington (Covington)||Shot after aiming a rifle at a sheriff's helicopter during standoff. Police were responding to report of Bass's threat to ignite a 250-pound fertilizer bomb in his residence. No explosives were found in the home.|
|2009-05-29||Wasilchen, Daniel||Washington (Granite Falls)||Shot by deputies after getting into an argument with a state noxious-weed expert inspecting Wasilchen's property.|
|2009-05-24||Kepler, Howard Blair||Colorado (Broomfield)||Shot after killing wife and during shootout with police. Police were responding to report of domestic disturbance.|
|2009-05-18||Ellenwood, Randall Vernon||Idaho (Nezperce)||Shot by Idaho state trooper after overpowering the trooper along with a passenger, Daniel Ricardo Rodriguez, during a traffic stop.|
|2009-05-06||Curtis Wetzel (37)||Washington (Lakewood)||Shot by one of five officers responding to reports of a drunken man assaulting his wife. Police claim Mr. Wetzel refused orders to drop a knife and approached to within 17 feet of the officers.|
|2009-04-30||Gutierrez, Luis (26)||California (Woodland)||Gutierrez was walking on an overpass when he was stopped by three plainclothes deputies from an anti-gang task force. He fled and allegedly pulled a knife on a deputy who caught up with him. Two of the deputies fired on him, killing him.|
|2009-04-27||unnamed male||Georgia (Decatur)||Shot after attempting to assault officer with a knife. Police were responding to screams inside an apartment.|
|2009-04-27||Kenneth Woodham (57)||Washington (Parkland)||Shot by Pierce County deputy responding to 911 call by Mr. Woodham's wife reporting him having been drinking and screaming at her and her mother.|
|2009-04-17||Bastos, Jairo||Georgia (Roswell)||Shot after attempting to run over a police officer. Police were responding to a report of abduction of two children who were in the vehicle.|
|2009-04-10||Kim, Susie||California (Santa Ana)||Shot after a pursuit. Police were pursuing Kim for a traffic violation; Kim was found under the influence of alcohol and cocaine with her 18-month-old daughter in the car.|
|2009-03-28||Willis, Stephen (23)||California (Fresno)||Fresno Police shot 35 times and killed Willis who they say pulled a gun on them as they approached his car in the parking lot of an apartment complex.|
|2009-03-24||Stewart, Barbara (47)||Maine (Biddeford)||Shot after pointing what appeared to be a handgun at police. The gun was later found to be a pellet gun. Police were responding to Stewart's call to police threatening suicide or murder and stating that she was armed.|
|2009-03-21||Mixon, Lovelle||California (Oakland)||2009 shootings of Oakland police officers|
|2009-03-17||Longest, Johnnie L||Washington (Spokane)||Shot after shooting police dog. Police were tracking suspect on foot with police dog after man's vehicle crashed during police chase. Officers were attempting to pull over man for reckless driving.|
|2009-03-09||Becerril, Victor (32)||California (Fresno)||Shot by Fresno Police when he held a large wooden object in a threatening manner. He had fled a 2 AM traffic stop. After stun gun was ineffective the officer shot Becerril five times, killing him.|
|2009-02-26||Reagor, Davlon Royall||Colorado (Denver)||Shot while attempting to run over officer after a car chase.|
|2009-02-07||Munoz, Philip||Colorado (Florence)||Died of apparent heart failure. Munoz had fled from police in a stolen garbage truck. Once stopped a Taser was used on him multiple times. Coroner reported "massive" amounts of cocaine in Munoz's system.|
|2009-02-05||Bennet, Theo||Florida (Jacksonville)||First of two men killed by Jacksonville police that day. Tried to hold up two undercover officers in car posing as drug dealers. Fired in car, narrowly missed officer, both returned fire, Bennet was pronounced dead at the scene.|
|2009-02-05||Unnamed female||Florida (Jacksonville)||She carjacked another person, then led police on a high-speed chase, ending with police shooting her. She was taken to the hospital with serious injuries, and did not recover.|
|2009-01-20||Lewis, Clayton||Georgia (Albany)||Shot after retrieving handgun from console of his car. Police had stopped Lewis regarding suspected drug activity. As Lewis began to flee in his vehicle an officer dove into the backseat of the car. The officer shot Lewis when Lewis retrieved the gun.|
|2009-01-14||Joseph Bernerd Hradec (37)||Washington (Seattle)||Shot after spraying officers with a chemical irritant and threatening officers with a knife. Police were responding to a 911 call for help at a motel.|
|2009-01-04||Payan-Leal, Jose (22)||California (Bakersfield)||Shot by three Bakersfield police officers who say he was armed, suspected of stealing a car, and running away from them.|
|2009-01-01||Murphy, Miles||Washington (Seattle)||Shot after pointing rifle with bayonet at police and refusing commands to drop weapon. Murphy was dressed in World War II -period German uniform and was holding a World War II-era German rifle. Police were responding to reports of gunfire on New Year's Eve which turned out to be blank rounds fired from the rifle.|
|2009-01-01||Grant, Oscar||California (Oakland)||Oscar Grant was shot dead by a BART police officer at the Fruitvale BART Station while face down on the station floor. The officer who shot Grant, Johannes Mehserle, was charged with second-degree murder in Grant's death. Mehserle was found not guilty of murder, but was convicted of the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter. Mehserle was sentenced to two years of prison and served 11 months.|
- Death in custody § United States
- Henry A. Wallace Police Crime Public Database
- List of cases of police brutality
- List of killings by law enforcement officers by country
- List of law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty in the United States
- List of law enforcement officers convicted for an on-duty killing in the United States
- List of police reforms related to the George Floyd protests
- Lists of killings by law enforcement officers
- Lists of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States
- Police brutality in the United States
- Police misconduct § United States
- Police riot § United States
- Police use of deadly force in the United States
- Mike Lindblom and Jennifer Sullivan (December 31, 2009). "Snohomish County deputy fatally shoots man after domestic-violence call". The Seattle Times.
- "Suspect killed by police may have been on mushrooms". The Daily Herald. January 15, 2010. Retrieved August 9, 2012.
- Daniel Walters (December 15, 2010). "A Timeline of Police Shootings". The Pacific Northwest Inlander.
- Rolf Boone (December 20, 2009). "Thurston County deputy fatally shoots suspect in killing". The Olympian.
- "Police kill gunman after domestic complaint". The Seattle Times. December 20, 2009.
- "Darrinn Hogg (12539)". Fatal Encounters. 18 December 2009. Archived from the original on 13 September 2016. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- "Suspect Shot, Killed By Police In Shootout". TurnTo23. 21 December 2009. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Man dies in gunbattle with police". Bakersfield Now. Bakersfield Californian. 18 December 2009. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Officer Involved Shooting in Dumas".
- "RE: Investigation of the shooting death of Nicholas Alvarado Morales, dob 2/18/80, by Officer Kevin Ford, #07046, on December 13, 2009, at the intersection of West Louisiana Avenue and South Patton Court, Denver, Colorado" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 1, 2015. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- Ken McLaughlin (December 9, 2009). "Former CU student killed by police in California". Mercury News.
- "Lakewood police shooting suspect killed by officer in South Seattle early today". The Seattle Times. December 1, 2009. Archived from the original on December 4, 2009.
- Sandy Hodson (November 20, 2009). "Drugs, weapons found at home of man killed by police". The Augusta Chronicle.
- "Police kill carjacking suspect". The Augusta Chronicle. November 15, 2009.
- "Man killed by Richmond police was threatening wife". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. November 13, 2009.
- Jennifer Emert (November 6, 2009). "High-speed chase ends in gunfire, death". WALB. Archived from the original on June 3, 2012. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Name released in deadly officer-involved shooting". CW Arkansas. November 4, 2009.
- Jackson Holtz (November 5, 2009). "Lake Stevens man killed by police was Iraq veteran". The Herald.
- George Hunter and Doug Guthrie (February 2, 2010). "Detroit Imam's Autopsy Report Raises Ire". The Detroit News.
- Rhodes, Mike. "Fresno Police Kill 2 Unarmed Men this Week". indybay.org. San Francisco Bay Area Independent Media Center. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- Haagenson, Gene. "Fresno Police Kill Erratic Driver". ABC30 Action News. Retrieved July 20, 2016.
- Guy, Jim; Branan, Brad (October 30, 2009). "Fresno officer thought SUV driver reached for gun". The Fresno Bee. No. Final. p. A1.
- Lopez, Pablo; Ellis, John (July 11, 2015). "Fresno Police shootings: Excessive-force lawsuits piling up after landmark settlement". Fresno Bee. Retrieved July 18, 2016.
- Gary Franklin (October 25, 2009). "Albany Police Shoot, Kill 48-Year-Old Woman". WXIA-TV 11 Alive.
- Marcus K. Garner (October 19, 2009). "Man fatally shot by Douglas sheriff's deputies". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- DeAnn Komenecky (October 11, 2009). "2 killed, 1 injured in high-speed police pursuit". Savannah Morning News.
- Mike Morris (October 12, 2009). "Hammer-wielding man killed by Henry County police". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Kieran Crowley (October 10, 2009). "Rapist killed in act". The New York Post.
- Staff and Wire Reports (October 10, 2009). "Elk River / Deputies named in defendant's death". The Pioneer Press.
- "Fresno PD Kills Unarmed Bulldog Gang Member". ABC30 Action News. September 23, 2009. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- Rhodes, Mike. "Fresno Police Kill 2 Unarmed Men this Week". indybay.org. San Francisco Bay Area Independent Media Center. Retrieved July 27, 2016.
- "Police identify woman shot and killed after stabbing officer". ABC 15. September 21, 2009. Archived from the original on 2013-01-16. Retrieved August 10, 2012.
- Ruth Johnson (September 15, 2009). "Richland Man Killed by KPD Officer". KEPR TV.
- Josh Peterson (March 7, 2013). "Officer involved shooting lawsuit can proceed to trial". KVEW. Archived from the original on 2015-08-01. Retrieved 2013-03-09.
- Sara Jean Green (September 10, 2009). "Deputies shoot, kill suspected 'Fashion Faux Pas Bandit'". The Seattle Times.
- John de Leon (September 11, 2009). "Bail set at $1 million for suspected 'Fashion Faux Pas Bandit'". The Seattle Times. Archived from the original on 2015-08-01. Retrieved 2013-01-11.
- "One dead after standoff with police". WALB. September 10, 2009. Archived from the original on June 3, 2012. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Federal Way, Wash., police kill suspected bank robbery". The Seattle Times. September 4, 2009.
- Michael King (September 2, 2009). "Pastor Shot To Death Outside Gas Station By Police". WXIA-TV 11 Alive.[permanent dead link]
- Mike Lindblom (August 15, 2009). "Man shot dead by police during struggle in Olympia hospital". The Seattle Times.
- Kieran Nicholson (August 11, 2009). "Officers' names in fatal Longmont shooting released". The Denver Post.
- Sara Jean Green (August 10, 2009). "Family reeling after longshoreman is fatally shot". The Seattle Times.
- Andria Simmons (July 27, 2011). "Lawsuit in police shooting of suicidal woman". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Guy, Jim; Lloyd, Paula (November 9, 2015). "From the archive: Fresno County deputies hurt, gunman slain. Originally published in The Fresno Bee on July 15, 2009". Fresno Bee. Retrieved July 28, 2016.
- Jim Camden (July 10, 2009). "Spokane Police kill knife-wielding man". The Spokesman-Review.
- Molly Hennessy-Fiske (July 12, 2009). "Deputies kill man in Athens; rights groups want an investigation". Los Angeles Times.
- "Bellevue police kill man they say attacked officer". The Seattle Times. July 8, 2009.
- Lewis Kamb (July 9, 2009). "Woodinville man killed by deputy was not armed when shot, wife claims". The Seattle Times.
- "RE: Investigation of the shooting death of Hector Esparza, dob 7-06-83, by Officer Michael Oestmann, #05058, and Technician Christopher Wilcox, #04001, on July 2, 2009, at 4503 Fillmore Street, Denver, Colorado" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on September 7, 2011. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- Gary Franklin (June 25, 2009). "Gunman Killed In Exchange Of Gunfire With Officer". WXIA-TV 11 Alive. Archived from the original on 2013-01-16. Retrieved 2012-07-12.
- Damien Cave (July 11, 2009). "Questions and Apathy Surround Shootings by Officer in Miami Beach". The New York Times.
- Carlos Miller (August 2, 2009). "New Details Murk the Waters of 2nd Cop Shooting". NBC Miami. Retrieved March 31, 2017.
- Jury clears Everett police officer Troy Meade of murder, manslaughter charges, Everett Herald, July 12, 2010.
- "RE: Investigation of the shooting death of Eugene Paul Velarde, dob 06/18/84, DPD#656974, by Lakewood Police Department Agent Devaney Braley, on June 10, 2009 in the 1700 block of Sheridan Boulevard, Denver, Colorado" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on September 8, 2011. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- Nick Bonham (June 8, 2009). "Daughter disputes ruling in death of sexual assault suspect". The Pueblo Chieftain.
- "Roberto Padilla (4805)". Fatal Encounters. Archived from the original on August 22, 2016. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- "Fresno Police Identified Suspect Killed in Shooting". ABC 30 Action News. KFSN-TV, Fresno. June 2, 2009. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- "Shooting Suspect Identified". Fox 26 KMPH News. June 1, 2009. Retrieved August 1, 2016.
- Phillip Lucas (June 3, 2009). "Man killed by deputy in Covington identified". The Seattle Times.
- Michael Davidson (May 27, 2009). "Two killed in Broomfield shooting identified". Colorado Daily.
- Sewell, Cynthia (December 5, 2015). "No officers convicted in Idaho fatal shootings since 2000". Idaho Statesman. Retrieved June 24, 2016.
- Brian Everstine (May 7, 2009). "More details on Wednesday's officer-involved shooting in Lakewood". The News Tribune. Archived from the original on August 1, 2015. Retrieved January 11, 2013.
- "Officer cleared in Lakewood police shooting". Associated Press. Oct 9, 2012. Archived from the original on February 21, 2013.
- "UPDATE: Suspect killed in officer-involved shooting ID'ed as Woodland man". Daily Democrat. May 30, 2014. Archived from the original on June 3, 2014. Retrieved June 4, 2014.
- Gary Franklin (April 28, 2009). "Man Shot And Killed By Dekalb Police Officer". WXIA-TV 11 Alive. Archived from the original on January 16, 2013.
- Stacey Mulick (April 30, 2009). "Man fatally shot by deputy at Parkland house identified". The News Tribune. Archived from the original on January 11, 2012. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- Chris Sweigart (April 17, 2009). "Police Shoot, Kill Abduction Suspect". WXIA-TV 11 Alive.[permanent dead link]
- John Cadiz Klemack (January 17, 2010). "Woman With Baby in Car Killed at End of Police Chase". NBC Los Angeles.
- Sheehan, Tim; Lloyd, Paula (March 28, 2009). "Fresno police fire 35 rounds, kill man". Fresno Bee.
- Dennis Hoey (March 10, 2010). "AG finds Biddeford officer justified in woman's shooting death". Portland Press Herald. Archived from the original on 2012-06-14. Retrieved 2014-12-12.
- "Man shoots police dog, police kill man in Spokane". The Seattle Times. March 18, 2009.
- Milanes, Itica (March 9, 2009). "Officer Involved Shooting in Calwa". ABC 30 Action News. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- Ritchie, Ashley; Whitehurst, Winston (March 9, 2009). "Fresno Police Officer Shoots, Kills Suspect". Fox 26 KMPH News. Retrieved August 2, 2016.
- "RE: Investigation of the shooting death of Davlon Royall Reagor, dob 4/14/71, DPD #413362, by Officer Edward Ash, #06059, on February 26, 2009, at the intersection of 5th Avenue and Lafayette Street, Denver, Colorado" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 1, 2015. Retrieved August 7, 2012.
- Tracy Harmon (February 13, 2009). "Cops cleared in Puebloan's death following truck chase". The Pueblo Chieftain.
- "Jacksonville Police Have 2nd and 3rd Police Shootings of 2009". WOKV 690 AM. February 5, 2009. Archived from the original on August 16, 2016.
- Jim Wallace (June 19, 2009). "D. A. releases tape of fatal ADDU stop". WALB.
- "Seattle police kill man with knife at motel". The Seattle Times. January 14, 2009.
- Christine Clarridge (January 15, 2009). "Seattle police fatally shoot man wielding knife". The Seattle Times.
- Christine Clarridge (January 15, 2009). "Man fatally shot by Seattle police 'intent was on hurting someone'". The Seattle Times.
- "Jose De Jesus Payan Leal – 12671". Fatal Encounters. January 4, 2009. Archived from the original on August 27, 2016. Retrieved August 6, 2016.
- Swenson, Steve E. (January 3, 2010). "Kern County's 2009 homicides tie a record high". Bakersfield.com. Bakersfield Californian. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- "Police kill armed man in vintage German uniform". The Seattle Times. January 2, 2009.
- "BART shooting captured on video". San Francisco Chronicle. January 7, 2009.
- "Deadly BART brawl – officer shoots rider, 22". San Francisco Chronicle. January 2, 2009.