List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States, 2011
This is a list of people killed by law enforcement officers in the United States in 2011, whether in the line of duty or not, and regardless of reason or method. Inclusion in the list implies neither wrongdoing nor justification on the part of the person killed or the officer involved. The listing merely documents the occurrence of a death. Killings are arranged by date of incident which caused death. Different death dates are, if possible, noted in the description.
Other prior FBI estimates put the number at 393, or 404 according to the FBI, depending on what year they're reporting from. There are no official statistics detailing the number of times police officers shot or kill people. An incomplete survey using internet sources puts the figure at 607.
The table below lists 173 individuals. (This number updates automatically when changes are saved.)
For lists of killings from other years, see List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States.
|Date||Name (Age) of Deceased||State (city)||Description|
|2011-10-27||Williams, Elliott Earl||Oklahoma (Tulsa)||Williams died in Tulsa County Jail, OK. He died from complications of "complications of vertebrospinal injuries due to blunt force trauma" and dehydration following several days of neglect by prison authorities.|
|New York (Seaford)||Capano, a special agent with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, was shot in the chest by a retired officer while struggling with McGoey, who had just robbed a pharmacy where Capano was a customer. The officer had mistaken Capano for an armed assailant. McGoey was then shot and killed by an off-duty officer who came to the scene.|
|2011-12-25||Barnette, Jameela Cecila||Georgia (Marietta)||Shot after assaulting police officer with weapons.|
|2011-12-20||Williams, Dawntree Ta'Shawn||Georgia (Buford)||Shot after refusing commands to drop machete. Police were called to residence when the 15-year-old boy threatened to kill his family with the machete.|
|2011-12-16||Gilyard, Michael||Louisiana (Shreveport)||Shot during struggle with officer after Gilyard reached for the officer's handgun. The officer had stopped Gilyard as he was leaving an area where there had been reports of narcotics activity. The coroner's report indicates that the cause of death was a single gunshot wound to the chest with a trajectory from back to front.|
|2011-12-14||Waiters, Ariston||Georgia (Union City)||Shot during a physical altercation with police. Officers were responding to a report of a fight between teenage girls and young adults. Neighbors report that the man was not involved in the fight and when shot, the man was running from police to avoid arrest on outstanding warrants. Autopsy confirmed Waiters was shot in the back.|
|2011-12-12||Gibson, Stanley (43)||Nevada (Las Vegas)||Stanley Gibson was shot and killed by Metro Officer Jesus Arevalo as police responded to a burglary report. Gibson, a veteran, was allegedly suffering from PTSD and brain cancer and was disoriented when he struck a police cruiser with his car. Officers boxed him in with their vehicles, commanding Gibson to exit his vehicle as he continued to attempt to drive away. Police reportedly made a plan to break Gibson's window with a beanbag round and use pepper spray to force him out. When the beanbag round was fired, Arevalo fired seven rounds of live ammunition at Gibson, who was unarmed. In October 2012, the Clark County District Attorney's office announced an indictment against Arevalo and is seeking a grand jury hearing of the case. In May 2013, following an internal review, the Critical Incident Review Board recommended the termination of Arevalo's position with the Metro Police.|
|2011-12-08||Muncie, Damien Jefferson (36)||Oklahoma (Oklahoma City)||Muncie was shot and killed after allegedly wounding three police officers and attempting to break into the Valley Brook Municipal Building.|
|2011-12-08||Black, Thomas Anthony||Washington (Suquamish)||Officers were serving an arrest warrant when they shot 44-year-old Black to death. Police retracted their original statement that Black had shot at officers after no handgun was recovered at the scene and no evidence supported Black's firing at them. Detectives said they did find a toy gun in the vicinity.|
|2011-12-05||Malone, Stephen||Texas (Dallas)||Shot during enforcement action by Dallas Police on board Amtrak's Texas Eagle train.|
|2011-12-03||Thao, Vang||California (Merced)||21-year-old Thao was killed by a stray bullet as officers fired at 18-year-old Kong Xiong, who was pointing a gun at them. Thao was not their intended target, and the Merced Police Department stated that Xiong was responsible for Thao's death.|
|2011-11-28||Hines, Carulus||Georgia (Atlanta)||Shot while stabbing her own four-year-old daughter to death and refusing commands to put down a knife. Police were responding to report of abuse of Hines' son.|
|2011-11-27||Welling, Austin||Washington (Tacoma)||18-year-old Welling was shot and critically injured after an officer pulled him over on suspicion of driving a stolen vehicle. Welling allegedly put the car in reverse and drove toward the officer, who fired at him several times. The 18-year-old was taken off of life support on January 31, 2012.|
|2011-11-25||Ramirez, Pablo Perez (25)||California (Sebastopol)||Shot and killed by a Sebastopol Police Department officer after pulling a revolver from his waistband. Police came to Ramirez's ex-girlfriend's apartment complex in response to a domestic disturbance. Ramirez took out a revolver and police fired three shots at Ramirez, from 10 to 15 feet away.|
|2011-11-21||Pate, Bernard (37)||Nevada (Las Vegas)||Shot and killed while running from and pointing a gun at an officer. Officers approached Pate because they suspected he was a gang member and began pursuing him when he ran from them.|
|2011-11-17||Person, Dwight||Georgia (East Point)||Shot after making a threatening gesture at police. Officers were conducting a "knock and announce" search warrant, looking for drugs.|
|2011-11-19||Chamberlain Sr., Kenneth||New York (White Plains)||Shot in his home by police responding to an automated medical alert.|
|2011-11-19||Crowley-Smilek, Justin||Maine (Farmington)||Shot in police parking lot when the man came at the officer with a knife.|
|2011-11-13||Crahay, Holly||Washington (SeaTac)||Shot after shooting at police. Officers were attempting to stop Crahay for reckless driving. Crahay led officers on chase who performed PIT maneuver causing Crahay's vehicle to spin to a stop at which point she began shooting.|
|2011-11-12||Bergstrasser, Sean||Washington (Colville)||Shot without further details released. A stolen handgun was recovered at scene. Police were responding to a report of a "vehicle prowling".|
|2011-11-10||Moore, Glen Edward||Georgia (Macon)||Shot after aiming gun at police. Police were responding to report of a screaming nude man banging on doors and windows of residences. Before police arrived Moore kicked the door of one home and shot a man to death. Moore was standing over the body of his victim when he pointed the gun at police.|
|2011-11-05||Elderts, Kollin||Hawaii (Waikiki)||Kollin Elderts was shot in a McDonald's restaurant by an off-duty State Department special agent, Christopher Deedy. Elderts was shot during a confrontation between him and Deedy after Deedy intervened when Elderts and another man had been accosting customers. Elderts did not have any weapon in his possession during the confrontation but was drunk and on drugs at the time of the incident. Deedy was charged with second-degree murder and acquitted in 2014. The killing and ensuing trial are discussed in a ten-episode season of Off Shore Podcast, a podcast run by Honolulu Civil Beat and PRX.|
|2011-10-31||Bitz, Jason||California (Lakewood)||Shot by off-duty police officer while apparently trying to steal a van outside the officer's home. He had permission to use the van, but was using a screwdriver to open the door. He ran after being confronted by the officer, who shot him multiple times after Bitz reached for his waistband. No weapon was found at the scene.|
|2011-10-30||Colbert, DeJuan||Kansas (Wichita)||Officers were responding to a robbery alarm at a Dollar General store. 27-year-old Colbert was allegedly standing at the door with a knife, and approached the officer who commanded him to drop it. That officer shot and killed Colbert.|
|2011-10-28||Collins, Jason Paul||Colorado (Greeley)||Shot after touching his own gun during a meeting to exchange child pornography with undercover federal officials.|
|2011-10-25||Hilaire, Herson; Hilaire, Hedson||Florida (Miami-Dade)||Shot after striking a police officer with vehicle while fleeing home during a drug probe.|
|2011-10-24||Peterson, Josh||California (Antioch)||The 33-year-old man was shot to death less than a block from him home after refusing to drop his gun. Police were responding to a report of a fugitive in the area; Peterson was wanted on two arrest warrants.|
|2011-10-24||Ceja, Pedro Salgado||Washington (Royal City)||Shot while chasing police with shovel in hand. Officer was responding to report of domestic violence and was attempting to arrest Ceja for investigation of second-degree assault and unlawful imprisonment.|
|2011-10-23||Evans, Eric Blaine||Washington (Seattle)||Shot after physically attacking a police detective. The officer was tracking Evans as a prime suspect in a recent stabbing murder.|
|2011-10-22||Westby, Aaron||Washington (Tacoma)||Shot after reaching for gun in glove box after resisting arrest. Police had approached Westby regarding the stolen pickup he was inside.|
|2011-10-22||II Nida, Michael||California (Downey)||The night of the shooting, Downey PD officers detained Nida because he matched the description of a suspect in an armed robbery, but Nida fought them and escaped. Nida was detained a second time, only to escape and run again. According to sheriff's investigators, Nida then turned toward police in an aggressive manner, and was shot 5 times in the chest and back. Nida was unarmed, likely running from police because of a small amount of marijuana in his possession and a known distrust for police.|
|2011-10-20||Newsome, Kotrell Omar||Maryland (Lexington Park)||Shot after violently resisting arrest for domestic disturbance. Stun gun was ineffective.|
|2011-10-18||Sepulveda, Mark Anthony||Colorado (Denver)||Shot while attempting a carjacking. Police were responding to report of armed robbery of store.|
|2011-10-17||Pinkney, Adolphus||Pennsylvania (Philadelphia)||Shot after ignoring command to drop weapon and then firing on police.|
|2011-10-16||Marksbury, Kennen||Texas (Cibolo)||Shot after threatening police with a weapon. Police were responding to report of a suicidal person.|
|2011-10-15||Valenzuela, David||Arizona (Phoenix)||Shot after ignoring commands to drop weapon and pointing gun at police. Police were responding to reports of gunshots and assault at bus terminal.|
|2011-10-15||Parera, Leonardo||New Jersey (Mountain Lakes)||Shot after firing on police. Police were responding to Parera's call to 911 after Parera killed co-worker and threatened to escalate violence if approached.|
|2011-10-15||Stafford, Joetavius||Georgia (Atlanta)||Shot during confrontation with transit system police officer.|
|2011-10-13||LaFave Jr, Derryl
|Michigan (Muskegon)||Shot after robbing bank, killing an officer with vehicle while fleeing, and firing on police.|
|2011-10-12||Post, Charles Arthur||Pennsylvania (Lower Burrell)||Shot after fatally shooting police officer. Post was wanted on felony charges of shooting at his boss.|
|2011-10-12||Bocock, John||Oregon (Myrtle Creek)||Shot after non-fatally shooting associate and refusing to drop weapon.|
|2011-10-11||Aguilar, Jesus||Colorado (Golden)||Shot while attempting escape from police custody in a medical facility. Aguilar was serving jail sentence for multiple violent offenses.|
|2011-10-10||unnamed male||Florida (Miami-Dade)||Shot after stealing a police car and attempting to use it to run over a police officer. Deceased had recently fled scene of accident where he was driving vehicle that struck a taxi killing the driver.|
|2011-10-03||unnamed female||New York (New York)||Shot after refusing to drop knife and lunging at police officers. Police were responding to report of fight involving the deceased at a homeless shelter.|
|2011-10-01||Bassler, Aaron||California (Fort Bragg)||Shot after extensive month-long manhunt. Bassler was primary suspect in two recent murders and had fired on police during the manhunt|
|2011-09-29||Blackmon, Jerome||Colorado (Aurora)||Shot after pointing a handgun at police. Police were responding to a report of a man and woman arguing in the street. Blackmon fled from police and Taser was ineffective.|
|2011-09-26||Rogers, James||Washington (Spokane)||Shot after two-hour standoff with police and pointing shotgun at police. Police were responding to report of suicidal man.|
|2011-09-24||Fritze, Paul||Maine (Farmingdale)||Shot after incident that lasted several hours that began when Fritze reported began shooting at occupants of house.|
|2011-09-24||Ficker, Ronald||Washington (Issaquah)||Shot after shooting near school and shooting at police.|
|2011-09-22||Deloatch, Barry||New Jersey (New Brunswick)||Deloatch was shot by an officer while struggling on the ground with a second officer. The officer who fired the fatal shot was found to be in violation of the departments equipment policy by not having Oleoresin Capiscum (O.C.) spray on him. The officer resigned from the department following the internal investigation.|
|2011-09-20||Edwards, Alnur||Georgia (Norcross)||Shot during shootout with police following bank robbery, car jacking and chase.|
|2011-09-18||Martin, Kenneth Dwayne||Georgia (Jefferson)||Shot after ignoring deputy commands and setting room on fire. Police were responding to report that Martin threatened to set his wife on fire. Martin had doused her and their home with gasoline.|
|2011-09-17||Moore, Jason (31)||Missouri (Ferguson)||Shot three times with a Taser and died. Family told media he had a mental illness. Civil suit was filed by his family in Federal court in 2014.|
|2011-09-15||Neel, Dale||Washington (Fircrest)||Died after being struck by police cruiser. The 62-year-old man was in the center turn lane on a moped. A deputy was responding to a call for backup from another deputy who was searching for people who had fled a traffic stop. The responding deputy was traveling in the center turn lane.|
|2011-09-13||Vargas, Christen||Colorado (Colorado Springs)||Shot after driving over a deputies foot and fleeing in vehicle. Deputies had approached vehicle in parking lot while looking for a different person with an outstanding warrant. A deputy shot at the vehicle as it sped away.|
|2011-09-11||Wolford, William||Colorado (Pueblo)||Died from injuries sustained when struck by police cruiser. Officer was stopped at red light and struck Wolford as he crossed intersection at crosswalk. Officer was initially cited for careless driving causing bodily injury.|
|2011-09-09||Hull, Marc (25)||Nevada (Las Vegas)||Hull was shot to death after shooting and injuring a police officer inside a Walmart store where he was trying to purchase $5000 worth of electronics with a credit card that was being declined.|
|2011-09-07||Bruce, Jasmen||Georgia (Atlanta)||Shot while burglarizing the home of an Atlanta police officer.|
|2011-09-06||Collado, John (43)||New York (New York)||Collado, who was unarmed, was shot when he intervened in a fight between 2 men on the street. Unknown to Collado, the fight was actually an attempted marijuana arrest by NYPD plainclothes detective James Connolly, a cop for 5 years, who had abandoned his NYPD narcotics team to attempt this arrest alone. Collado died hours later. Collado is the second person killed by Connolly while on duty. Connolly killed another man while he was alone and in plainclothes in 2009 with 3 years on the job.|
|Georgia (Columbus)||Shot as vehicle backed up towards officer. The officer had observed a masked man run out of a credit union. Tolbert ran to a truck in which Carr was sitting in the passenger side.|
|2011-09-05||Peterson, Walter||Georgia (Moultrie)||Shot after attempting to stab a police officer. Police had gone to Peterson's home to investigate a report of a broken window at a local store. Police unsuccessfully used a Taser before firing the fatal shot.|
|2011-09-01||Bishop, Tiffany||Georgia (Jackson)||Shot accidentally by instructor during firearms training class. Bishop was attending the class as a probation officer for the Georgia Diagnostic Prison in Jacson.|
|2011-08-29||Doerbecker, Kurt||New York (Point Lookout)||Shot after refusing to drop knife and approaching police in a threatening manner. Police were responding to reports of a disturbance at a bar.|
|2011-08-25||Shumway, Keith||New York (Ithaca)||Shot after attacking and grabbing an officer's gun. Another officer told the assailant to drop the gun. The assailant instead pointed the gun at the other officer who then shot him.|
|2011-08-12||unnamed male||Georgia (DeKalb County)||Shot by SWAT team during standoff. The man had shot at a neighbor who called police. As the police arrived, the man shot at them, then barricaded himself inside his home.|
|2011-08-11||Hayse, Arthur||Georgia (Conyers)||Died from injuries after being struck by police cruiser. Officers were chasing Hayse and another person as prime suspects in a recent bank robbery.|
|2011-08-10||Albrecht, David||Washington (Shoreline)||Shot after refusing to drop knife and shotgun. Police were responding to report of suicidal person.|
|2011-08-10||Allen, Jimmy||Georgia (Atlanta)||Shot after turning toward police officer during armed robbery of restaurant. After being wounded, Allen fled outside the restaurant were the officer fired at least seven more times.|
|2011-08-06||Maestas, David Jerome||Colorado (Denver)||Shot while fleeing in stolen vehicle the scene of Home Invasion. Maestas had tied up and beat the occupants, before stealing their Jeep. Police tracked the vehicle and attempted to stop it. When Maestas attempted to drive towards one of the officers, the police shot and killed him.|
|2011-08-03||Elmo, Vivian||Colorado (Colorado Springs)||Died in auto accident when off-duty sheriff's deputy ran a red light striking Elmo's vehicle. The deputy had two prior reckless driving convictions and was fired on September 23, 2011.|
|2011-08-01||Shafer, Richard Lee||Oregon (Elgin)||Shot while holding a rifle. Police were responding to a report of domestic violence.|
|2011-08-01||Bosley, Johntwa E||Ohio (Columbus)||Shot after having a said shootout with police while holding a pistol and attempting to escape in a car. Swat team shot and killed the wanted felon.|
|2011-08-01||Maggiorini, Carl (39)||California (Fresno)||Shot by a Fresno Police officer when the officer saw him running down the street waving a knife and chasing a man.|
|2011-07-26||Leskinen, Daniel||Colorado (Black Forest)||Shot after firing at sheriff's deputies. Officers were responding to report of domestic disturbance involving a gun.|
|2011-07-24||Redick, Larry||Tennessee (Memphis)||Shot after firing at police who were responding to reports of a domestic disturbance.|
|2011-07-23||Contreras, Juan||Colorado (Aurora)||Shot after punching plainclothes officer several times and reaching for knife. Officer was investigating an extortion charge where a man had demanded $50 for return of stolen car keys.|
|2011-07-22||Alfred, Leon||Georgia (Douglas County)||Shot after refusing to drop knife. Police arrived after Alfred had stabbed another man to death.|
|2011-07-21||Leon, Ricardo||Virginia (Centreville)||Shot after refusing to drop shotgun and approaching officers. Police were responding to report of a domestic disturbance.|
|2011-07-21||Waters, Jedidiah J.||Washington (Federal Way)||Shot while reaching for handgun while being chased by police. Officers were responding to report of man shoplifting in store.|
|2011-07-20||Moon, Eric Dewayne Jr||Georgia (Marietta)||Shot after posing a threat to officers. Police had attempted to stop the vehicle Moon was driving. Moon fled at high speed, crashed his vehicle and fled on foot into an apartment complex.|
|2011-07-18||Ashley, Alonzo||Colorado (Denver)||Died of "Physiologic stresses involved in subduing and restraining the decedent". Police were responding to reports of a domestic violence incident at the Denver Zoo.|
|2011-07-17||Husband, Niko||Illinois (Chicago)||Shot after struggle with police and reaching for gun in waistband. Police were responding to report of man with gun outside bar.|
|2011-07-16||Hawkins, Lynell||Illinois (Chicago)||Shot after shooting at police. Police were pursuing suspect after reports of gunshots in the area.|
|2011-07-16||Gaswint, Justin||Washington (Lynnwood)||Shot after charging deputy and threatening to kill him. The deputy had stopped on an overpass to talk to a pedestrian. As the deputy exited his vehicle Gaswint attacked and the two fought.|
|2011-07-16||Harding, Kenneth||California (San Francisco Bay View District)||Shot after shooting at police who were attempting to cite Harding for light-rail fare evasion.|
|2011-07-15||unnamed male||Georgia (Avondale)||Shot during struggle with officer when officer thought man was reaching for a gun. The officer was responding to a report of a man acting strangely. The man ran from the officer into the woods were the struggle ensued. The unnamed male's .38 caliber handgun was located at the scene.|
|2011-07-14||Olivas, Rafael Alonso||Nevada (Las Vegas)||Officers were responding to a report of a "man acting erratically" and found Olivas walking down a street with a knife. After Olivas refused to drop the knife and continued advancing toward officers despite being shot with beanbags, officers shot the man to death.|
|2011-07-11||Pearce, John||Georgia (Gainesville)||Shot after charging at deputies. Officer were responding to a report of a man attacking two women, one of whom died, at the Harbour Point Yacht Club subdivision. When the officers arrived Pearce was walking outside the home naked and covered in blood and described his demeanor as "deranged."|
|2011-07-10||Brown, Brandon Ray||Washington (Bothell)||Shot while advancing on deputy while holding a cane overhead. Deputies were responding to a report of a domestic disturbance.|
|2011-07-10||Turner, David Lee||California (Bakersfield)||Shot after striking deputy in back of head with bag containing two 24-ounce cans of beer. Turner was being questioned regarding purchase of alcohol for minors at a store. After initially complying with officers an altercation ensued when Turner attempted to leave.|
|2011-07-05||Thomas, Kelly||California (Fullerton)||Died from blunt force injuries after altercation with police. See Death of Kelly Thomas. Two police officers, Manuel Ramos and Jay Cicinelli, were charged with second degree murder but were later acquitted. Charges of excessive force and involuntary manslaughter against a third officer, Joseph Wolfe, were dropped after the acquittals of the other two officers.|
|2011-07-04||Silva, Luis||Nevada (Las Vegas)||Shot to death by officers after allegedly pointing a gun at them. Police had responded to the home to find Silva with a gun to his head.|
|2011-06-30||Hampton, Maurice||Georgia (Atlanta)||Shot during altercation with police. The officer was conducting a traffic stop when Hampton fled on foot. The altercation and shooting followed. Hampton was not armed.|
|2011-06-29||Ararao, Bernardo D.||California (Suisun City)||Killed in a senior center after showing a gun a woman there and telling her he was "going on assignment." Officers shot the 55-year-old man to death when he refused to drop his weapon.|
|2011-06-29||Newland, Kevin Wayne||Washington (Clallam Bay)||Shot during attempted prison escape. Drove a forklift through one set of doors then into the prison's perimeter fences.|
|2011-06-28||Christopher Seksinsky (39)||New Hampshire (Winchester)||Shot after threatening police with a knife. Police were responding to report of armed suicidal person and attempted to disarm man with Taser.|
|2011-06-26||Haynes, Michael R||Tennessee (Memphis)||Shot after shooting at officers. Police were responding to reported of armed mentally ill person.|
|2011-06-25||Brennan, Carl Torrance||Georgia (Jacksonville Beach)||Shot after refusing to drop weapon. Brennan was approached as the prime suspect in the recent robbery of several people in a hotel parking lot.|
|2011-06-20||Steven V. Petersen||Washington (Napavine)||Shot after refusing to take hands out of pockets and while charging at deputy. Police were responding to report of man armed with knife attempting to break into a home.|
|2011-06-15||Papineau, Brooks||Washington (Gig Harbor)||Shot during a traffic stop. Police say he pointed a gun at the officer.|
|2011-06-09||O'Loughlin, Ryan||Rhode Island (Westerly)||Fatally beaten in an alley by Westerly police Officer Greg Barna, Officer Terence Malaghan, and/or Sgt. David E. Turano while passively resisting arrest. O'Loughlin, age 34, of Mystic CT died 16 hours after being arrested. The Connecticut medical examiner ruled the death a homicide due to blunt abdominal trauma.|
|2011-06-08||Duenez, Ernest||California (Manteca)||Shot by John Moody who was watching and waiting down the street for Ernest to arrive home while riding in a pickup. Video can be seen at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNnwc1RByzo  Moody was cleared of criminal charges by San Joaquin County district attorney James Willett, but the Duenez family pursued a civil case against him. The case was to go to trial in April 2014, but the Duenez family settled the lawsuit for $2.2 million, claiming they had lost faith in the system after the acquittals of the officers in the death of Kelly Thomas and Nick Bennallack in the death of Manuel Diaz in Anaheim. Although Moody was cleared of criminal wrongding, the Duenez family and their supporters have maintained that Moody is a murderer.
In January 2013, a supporter of the Duenez family was charged with "threatening" Moody in a Facebook post.
|2011-06-07||Farmer, Flint||Illinois (Chicago)||Shot after fleeing police responding to report of domestic violence.|
|2011-06-05||Schultz, James Dean||Washington (Richland)||Shot during confrontation with police who were responding to report of a suspicious person.|
|2011-06-03||Oliver, Phillip (28)||California (Galt)||Shot to death by officers after assaulting his mother, carrying a knife, and threatening officers, police say.|
|2011-06-01||Hortter, Adam (32)||California (Bakersfield)||Kern County Sheriffs Deputy Mike Blue was trying to detain Hortter as a suspected car burglar. They struggled and went to the ground. Deputy Blue pulled his weapon and shot Hortter who died at a local hospital.|
|2011-05-30||Carter, Byron (20)||Texas (Austin)||Carter was a passenger in a car that police say sped toward and hit an officer. Another officer fired at the car, injuring the driver and killing Carter. A civil suit filed by Carter's family was still in the courts as of May 2013.|
|2011-05-30||Herisse, Raymond||Florida (Miami Beach)||Shot in vehicle after striking multiple officers and other vehicles with vehicle. Police were in the area due to annual Urban Beach Week celebration.|
|2011-05-29||Medrano, Rodolfo "Rudy" (35)||California (Bakersfield)||About 9:30 p.m. Madrano called 911 from his motel room, threatening suicide. He claimed to have several guns. Four deputies from the Kern County Sheriff's Department responded. The deputies negotiated with Medrano for about 45 minutes while he was in his wheelchair in the motel parking lot and holding a large knife. When he charged the deputies, in his wheelchair, with the knife in his hand, the four deputies shot and killed him. In June 2011, the Kern County Sheriff's Incident Review Board ruled the shooting justified.|
|2011-05-27||Castillo, Alberto||Nevada (Las Vegas)||Police responded to a 911 call and found Castillo holding a silver object to his wife's neck. Castillo allegedly kicked an officer and grabbed his Taser, and the officer shot Castillo to death.|
|2011-05-27||Taylor, Roxanne||Georgia (DeKalb)||Shot after car chase and firing a shot. Police were pursuing Taylor as the prime suspect in recent armed robberies of stores.|
|2011-05-19||Murdock, Matthew R||Georgia (Mableton)||Shot after scuffling with police officer and when it appeared Murdock was reaching for a weapon. Police had stopped Murdock as a "suspicious person".|
|2011-05-18||Morris, Timothy Steven||Georgia (Newton County)||Shot after threatening to kill officer while having his hands in his pockets. A state trooper had attempted to stop Morris for speeding. Morris abandoned his vehicle and fled into a heavily wooded area where the trooper cornered him. Knives were found on Morris.|
|2011-05-18||Nager, Ross||Washington (Selah)||Shot after exiting vehicle with shotgun or rifle in hand. Police were responding to report that Nager was making threats to people inside a home and firing his weapon. After SWAT team arrive Nager attempted to leave in a vehicle but was blocked.|
|2011-05-16||Reeves, Bert||South Carolina (Cottageville)||Shot during an aggravated assault on a law enforcement officer.|
|2011-05-13||Bueno, Manuel||Florida (Miami-Dade)||Shot after brandishing a knife.|
|2011-05-11||Wilson, Jeff||Illinois (Chicago)||Shot during armed robbery of store and after shooting at police.|
|2011-05-10||Garrett, Dale||California (Los Angeles)||Shot twice in the back by Los Angeles Police Department Detective Arthur Gamboa. Det. Gamboa claimed that Garrett pulled a knife and threatened to kill him during an attempted drug bust. The Los Angeles Police Commission ruled that the shooting violated the LAPD's policy on lethal force.|
|2011-05-10||Allen Kephart||Lake Arrowhead California||After allegedly running a stop sign, Allen Kephart was beaten and tasered two dozen times by three San Bernardino County Sheriff Deputies in a parking lot in the unincorporated area of the San Bernardino Mountains near Lake Arrowhead.|
|2011-05-09||Adrian Perez (26)||California (Bakersfield)||Bakersfield police officers, responding to a residence for a report of trespassing found Adrian Perez. During the encounter Perez drew a handgun from his pocket and fired on the officers. Three officers returned fire, killing Perez.|
|2011-05-05||Guerena, Jose||Arizona (Tucson)||Marine and Iraq war veteran shot by SWAT team conducting forced-entry search of home involving a marijuana smuggling investigation. No drugs nor anything illegal was found and widow and children received $3.4 million settlement from agencies involved in raid.|
|2011-05-04||Raucci, Robert||Washington (Kent)||Shot while pulling a long gun out of a taxi cab at a transit center. Police were responding to a report from the cab driver that his passenger had a shotgun or rifle across his knees.|
|2011-05-03||Tyler, Antonio||Georgia (Marietta)||Shot after refusing to drop weapon. Police had confronted Tyler regarding the two people Tyler and two other men had forced into their home at gunpoint.|
|2011-04-30||Campuzano, Jose Carlos||Washington (Sunnyside)||Shot after pulling out a gun and shooting at officers. Police has pulled over a vehicle containing three people, including Campuzano, as suspects in a recent nearby shooting.|
|2011-05-02||Bailey, Bernard (54)||South Carolina (Eutawville)||A police chief for the town of Eutawville shot and killed Bernard Bailey who came to Town Hall to complain about his daughter's traffic ticket. Police chief Richard Combs tried to arrest Bailey for a charge of obstruction of justice, and Bailey walked towards his truck and they both briefly fought each other. Combs then shot Bailey twice in the chest in Bailey's truck. On December 4, 2014, prosecutors charged Combs with murder.|
|2011-04-23||Denyakin, Kirill||Virginia (Portsmouth)||Shot outside of an apartment building where he was staying with friends; was intoxicated and did not respond to police commands to lie down on the ground. A 9-1-1 call had erroneously reported a burglary in progress at that address after Denyakin pounded on the door and asked to be let back into the building.|
|2011-04-18||Ourada, Anthony||Washington (Kent)||Shot after ramming into several cars while attempting to elude deputies. Deputies were pursuing Ourada for several instances of reckless driving and eluding police over the previous week.|
|2011-04-18||Williams, Jerome||Illinois (Chicago)||Shot during armed robbery of store and after shooting at police.|
|2011-04-18||Hebert, David||Ohio (Cincinnati)||Shot after a report of an armed robbery with a sword. Hebert had a small knife but no sword. Acting against their training, officers got dangerously close and failed to have a plan before approaching Hebert, precipitating the use of deadly force. A wrongful death lawsuit by his estate alleges Hebert was complying with orders when he was shot.|
|2011-04-16||Parks, Horace Lorenzo||Georgia (Morgan County)||Shot after pointing gun at state trooper. Parks was being chased for driving a vehicle which matched the description from a recent shooting at a restaurant. The chase ended when Parks rammed a police vehicle.|
|2011-04-07||Denton, Albert||Maryland (Glenn Dale)||Shot after lunging at officers with axe. Police were responding to report of disturbance at child daycare facility.|
|2011-04-06||Fuller, Darryl||Georgia (Norcross)||Shot after pointing a handgun at officers. Police were patrolling an area known for gang activity and approached a group of three men when Fuller drew a weapon.|
|2011-04-03||Woods, Timothy||Georgia (Fairburn)||Shot went a gun, not in the officers possession, "went off" while the officer and Woods struggled over a gun.|
|2011-03-27||Paulson, Katherine||Maine (Kennebunk)||Shot after advancing on police with knife in hand and refusing commands to drop weapon. Officers were responding to report of a domestic disturbance in which Paulson's mother reported she was afraid for her own well-being regarding daughter with history of psychiatric illness.|
|2011-03-20||Gidenko, Oleg||Colorado (Aurora)||Shot while fleeing in vehicle from police who were investigating report of stolen vehicle. City settled with Gidenko's family for $150,000|
|2011-03-19||Sampson, Eric G.||Washington (Ravensdale)||Shot after refusing to lay down a machete Sampson had used to strike an officer's cart. Sampson was pulled over in a routine traffic stop then fled in vehicle. Sampson was found near registration address of vehicle. Use of Tasers was ineffective.|
|2011-03-17||Williams, Aaron||Colorado (Aurora)||Shot after firing on police, wounding officer and taking a family of four hostage. Police had chased the man into an apartment complex following a traffic stop. The police released gas into the apartment and the man climbed out of a window holding a gun. Was shot by SWAT team at that point.|
|2011-03-17||Gardner, Marvin||California (Fresno)||Fresno Police responded to reported burglary at a quick cash store. There were employees in the store and the two suspects were reported to be armed. An officer pursued Gardner who climbed over a fence back of the store before stopping at the officer's orders. Gardner began to lift his coat using both his hands. The officer, thinking Gardner was going for a weapon, shot and killed him.|
|2011-03-16||unnamed male||Idaho (Bonners Ferry-area)||Died due to an "unknown medical event" after deputy used a Taser while attempting to subdue the man. Deputy was responding to a report of a naked man and his vehicle blocking a road.|
|2011-03-15||Garcia, Daniel||Colorado (Aurora)||Shot in vehicle after shooting at police to include one shot to police officer's arm. Police were approaching vehicle in which Garcia had taken two hostages.|
|2011-03-12||Breitkopf, Geoffrey||New York (Massapequa Park)||Nassau County Police officer, accidentally shot by MTA Police officer who mistook Breitkopf for an armed suspect.|
|2011-03-12||DiGeronimo, Anthony||New York (Massapequa Park)||Shot by two Nassau County Police officers when he lunged at them with knives.|
|2011-03-09||Hammond, Michael||Georgia (Buckhead)||Shot after producing a weapon. Police had followed Hammond in his vehicle as the prime suspect in a recent bank robbery.|
|2011-03-08||Rowton, William Wayne||Washington (Kelso)||Shot from a distance of about 200 ft after pointing revolver out a sliding glass door towards police. Police were responding to report of a suicidal person.|
|2011-03-03||Le, Van Dinh (47)||California (Escondido)||Le was shot once in the forehead by an Escondid Police Department officer, after police came to his home to respond to Le being suicidal and mentally unstable. According to officers, Le was in a bathroom and had a pair of 8-inch scissors, and refused to drop it when demanded to by police, and then advanced towards the officers with the scissors.|
|2011-02-28||Martinez, Alejandro P||Washington (Lynden)||Shot after striking deputy in head with a hammer. Officers were responding to a report of a man with mental health issues damaging a home.|
|2011-02-24||Elmore, Danny||Colorado (Pueblo)||Shot after answering door with gun in hand and pointing it at officer. Police were responding to report of a loud disturbance at Elmore's home.|
|Georgia (Avondale Estates)||Died from injuries sustained during motor vehicle accident. Police officer was estimated to be driving at twice the speed limit while not on an emergency call when she collided with another vehicle. The officer was later indicted on two counts of vehicular homicide and reckless driving.|
|2011-02-14||Montgomery Jr., Chastain||Tennessee (Mason)||Shot after firing on police with two pistols. Police were pursuing Montgomery in relation to a carjacking in Nashville.|
|2011-02-14||Moran-Hernandez, Carolyn||Washington (Lakewood)||Shot after raising gun at officers. Police were responding to a report of domestic violence. Moran told the police "shoot me, shoot me" then raised what turned out to be a BB pistol that looked like a handgun.|
|2011-02-10||Arreola, Richard||Colorado (Aurora)||Shot while walking "with purpose" with handgun and rifle towards undercover police officer. Officer was performing surveillance on Arreola in an undercover police vehicle prior to serving of warrant for drug distribution.|
|2011-02-10||Dawkins, David Anthony||Georgia (Augusta)||Shot after point a handgun at officer. Police had pulled over Dawkins' vehicle on suspicion of being stolen.|
|2011-02-08||Giddens, Brian Keith||Georgia (Barnesville)||Shot after confronting deputy with a shotgun. Officer was responding to a report of domestic dispute.|
|2011-02-08||Little, Christine Ann||Idaho (Kootenai)||Shot as passenger in vehicle that was approaching trooper following chase. The driver had rammed a police cruiser during a chase. Their vehicle was stopped for a traffic violation, then fled.|
|2011-02-08||Johnson, Daniell||Washington (Lakewood)||Shot in vehicle by SWAT team after "seeing movement in the car". Police had stopped Johnson in relation to a report of domestic violence when a shot was fired inside the vehicle. Police report the first shot was self-inflicted. The medical examiner later determined that the fatal shot was fired by the SWAT team.|
|2011-01-30||Curler, John A||Washington (Spokane)||Died from injuries after being struck by police cruiser. Curler was cross an intersection on foot as the officer was responding to a "trouble unknown" report with lights and siren off.|
|2011-01-30||Cisneros, Yueri Acevedo||Washington (Yakima)||Shot after refusing to stop stabbing another man on the ground. The victim was stabbed 159 times with a pocketknife.|
|2011-01-28||O'Connell, Robert David||Washington (Tacoma)||Shot after shooting three times at police. Officers were approaching man for acting suspiciously at a gas station.|
|2011-01-24||Lacy Jr., Hydra||Florida (St. Petersburg||Shot after fatally shooting two police officers, Thomas John "Tom" Baitinger and Jeffrey Adam Yaslowitz, who were serving an arrest warrant for aggravated battery and two other felony charges.|
|2011-01-24||Robert Kendrick Chambers||Georgia (Warner Robins)||Shot while attempting to pull a weapon out of a coat pocket. The man was approached as a possible suspect in a recent burglary. When the man was ordered to remove his hands from his pockets a scuffle ensued.|
|2011-01-23||Fuller, Norman||Tennessee (Memphis)||Shot after pointing gun at police. Police were responding to report of a shooting and encountered the armed Fuller walking down the street.|
|2011-01-22||Sloan, Latricka||Georgia (Decatur County)||Died from injuries following police use of a PIT maneuver on Sloan's vehicle. Sloan had made a U-turn after approaching a police safety check point. Witness report Sloan was not driving fast. Police later determined that Sloan was not licensed to drive in Georgia.|
|2011-01-20||Simms, Johnny||Miami-Dade County, Florida||Died in a shootout that also killed two Miami-Dade Police Department detectives, Amanda Lynn Haworth and Roger Castillo.|
|2011-01-16||Dennis, Kenneth||Washington (Spokane)||Shot during investigation of report of domestic violence. Police report Dennis was armed with a knife.|
|2011-01-15||Landry, Andrew||Maine (Lyman)||Shot after brandishing two knives. Officers were responding to a call for assistance and first attempted to disarm Landry with a Taser.|
|2011-01-14||Doucet, Reggie||California (Los Angeles)||Shot after repeatedgly striking police officers and attempting to take their guns. Police were responding to a disturbing the peace call after Doucet had removed his clothes and was running around naked. In December 2016 the City of Los Angeles settled with Doucet's family for $1.65 million.|
|2011-01-13||Perez, Enrique (21)||California (Malaga)||Thursday, about 8 AM, an officer of the California Highway Patrol was investigating the theft of a dump truck near Malaga. The officer found the truck in a citrus grove. The suspect came out of the grove and fought with the officer. The officer was able to pull his weapon and shot the suspect, who was later identified as Enrique Perez of Fresno.|
|2011-01-11||Stamps, Eurie (68)||Massachusetts (Framingham)||Middlesex District Attorney Gerry Leone testified Officer Paul Duncan's rifle went off accidentally, killing Stamps who was handcuffed and lying facedown in his home during a midnight SWAT raid. Police were searching for his stepson and Stamps was not a suspect.|
|2011-01-07||Pinex, Darius L.||Illinois (Chicago)||Shot in vehicle after dragging police officer with vehicle. Police had stopped Pinex because he was driving a vehicle similar to one implicated in earlier gunfire.|
|2011-01-06||Fox, Andrew||Washington (Bellevue)||Shot as approaching officer with knife raised in overhand grip. Police were responding to report of a hostage taking at a gas station.|
|2011-01-01||Ferryman, Michael (57)||Ohio (Enon)||Shot during a shootout with police, prior to which he had shot and killed Deputy Suzanne Hopper.|
|2011-01-01||Weatherspoon. Lynn||Florida (Miami)||Shot after fleeing SWAT team and reportedly pointing gun at them. The SWAT team was inside a black SUV and noted that Weatherspoon was armed with a handgun. Witnesses report that men jumped out of the SUV and opened fire as Weatherspoon ran away.|
Known erroneous reports
This section includes deaths which were initially reported as police killings but later turned out not to be.
|Date||Name||State (City)||Initial reports||Later reports|
|2011-01-23||Martinez, Anthony||Washington (Port Orchard)||Shot after shooting at and wounding two deputies. The deputies were responding to report of suspicious man with a gun outside a store. Astrid Valdivia died from gunshot wound received in crossfire between deputies and Martinez.||All three deputies and Martinez were firing .40 caliber hollow-point rounds from Glock handguns, which led to confusion over who shot whom and multiple erroneous reports that a deputy had killed Martinez. Later forensics determined that Martinez killed Valdivia and then himself.|
- List of killings by law enforcement officers by countries
- Death in custody
- Encounter killings by police (India)
- List of American police officers killed in the line of duty
- List of cases of police brutality
- Lists of killings by law enforcement officers
- List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States
- Lynching in the United States
- Police brutality in the United States
- Police misconduct
- Police riots in the United States
- Police use of deadly force in the United States
- "FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 14". Fbi.gov. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- "FBI — Expanded Homicide Data Table 14". Fbi.gov. 2013-07-23. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- Jim Fisher (2013-12-25). "Jim Fisher True Crime: Police Involved Shooting Statistics: A National One-Year Summary". Jimfishertruecrime.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- "BURKE v. GLANZ". LEAGLE. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "Memo Offers New Account of ATF Agent's Shooting". Long Island Press. February 9, 2012. Archived from the original on July 6, 2012.
- "James McGoey Had Robbed 3 Pharmacies". Newsday. January 1, 2012.
- "Officer kills woman in Marietta, Ga". WALB. December 25, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Police: Police Shoot, Kill Machete-Wielding Teen". FOX 5. December 20, 2011.
- "Police shoot, kill Buford teen wielding machete". Gainesville Times. December 20, 2011. Archived from the original on January 23, 2013.
- Carolyn Roy (December 16, 2011). "Caddo coroner: Man killed by officer shot in back". WALB.
- Portia Bruner (December 14, 2011). "Police Investigate Officer-Involved Shooting in Union City". WAGA-TV.
- "Union City police fatally shoot 19-year-old". WSB-TV. December 15, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Autopsy: Teen shot in back by police; family's attorney alleges cover up". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. December 16, 2011.
- Paul Takahashi (October 9, 2012). "DA to seek criminal indictment in controversial police shooting". Las Vegas Sun.
- "Officer Faces Firing in Gulf War Vet's Shooting Death". KLAS.
- "Suspect Killed By Police In Valley Brook Identified". News9.com. December 9, 2011.
- John De Leon (December 14, 2011). "Kitsap County man killed by police was not armed". The Seattle Times.
- Matt Peterson (December 5, 2011). "Gunman shot dead after opening fire on Amtrak". The Dallas Morning News.
- Shannon Handy (December 7, 2011). "Demanding answers from Merced Police in man's death". KFSN.
- Alexis Stevens & Rhonda Cook (November 29, 2011). "Police shoot, kill mother stabbing child". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Rhonda Cook (November 30, 2011). "911 tape: Woman shot by police said she was God". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- John de Leon (February 1, 2011). "Man shot in November by Tacoma police dies". The Seattle Times.
- Fatal Shooting Justified Archived 2015-08-01 at the Wayback Machine., April 2, 2012.
- Nicole Benson (Oct 4, 2012). "Metro's Internal Review Clears Officers in 3 Shootings". KLAS.
- Tony Thomas (November 17, 2011). "Man shot and killed by East Point officer". WSB-TV.
- Gonzalez, Juan (April 4, 2012). "Marine veteran Kenneth Chamberlain Sr. killed after clash with police who responded to his medical emergency". New York Daily News.
- Ann Bryant (November 19, 2011). "Man fatally shot outside of town office by Farmington police". Bangor Daily News.
- Jennifer Sullivan (November 14, 2011). "Family: Woman killed in shootout mentally ill". The Seattle Times.
- "UPDATE: One Dead In Officer-Involved Shooting In Colville". KHQ. November 13, 2011.
- "Nude suspect killed by Macon deputy after fatal shooting". The Augusta Chronicle. November 11, 2011.
- Jaymes Song (November 7, 2011). "Agent charged in killing was in Hawaii for APEC". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Paloma Esquivel (November 27, 2011). "Coming to grips with the Jason Bitz case". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 28, 2011.
- Stan Finger (October 31, 2011). "Wichita police chief: Robber came at officer with knife before being shot". The Wichita Eagle. Retrieved August 1, 2012.
- "Suspect killed by police in Greeley identified". The Coloradoan. October 31, 2011.
- Danielle A. Alvarez (October 25, 2011). "2 fatally shot by police officers in drug probe". The Miami Herald.
- Lilian Kim (October 26, 2011). "Police shoot, kill man in Antioch". KGO.
- "Man killed by Royal City WA officer identified". The Seattle Times. October 26, 2011.
- "Murder suspect killed by police in Belltown identified". Q13Fox. October 24, 2011. Archived from the original on June 8, 2012.
- John Henrikson (October 22, 2011). "Deputy shoots and kills suspect in Tacoma". The News Tribune.
- ocbot (October 23, 2011). "Authorities Admit Wrong Man Fatally Shot by Downey Cops Who Were Looking For Robbery Suspect". KTLA Channel 5 News.[permanent dead link]
- John Wharton (October 26, 2011). "Probes of St. Mary's fatal shooting by police continue". SoMdNews. Archived from the original on February 2, 2013.
- Kieran Nicholson (October 19, 2011). "Man killed by Denver police identified as homicide suspect in Lakewood". The Denver Post.
- "Police: Officers kill suspect who fired on them". October 17, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- David DeKunder (October 20, 2011). "Cibolo resident fatally shot by officers". San Antonio Express-News.
- "Phoenix police fatally shoot man in wheelchair". Associated Press. October 15, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Prosecutor: Cops killed man who shot co-worker". Associated Press. October 15, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Jennifer Leslie (October 18, 2011). "Autopsy report from MARTA shooting shows 3 shots killed Stafford". WXIA-TV. Archived from the original on January 15, 2013.
- "Police got warning before robbery, deadly chase". Associated Press. October 20, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Police officer, 2nd person killed in western Pa". Associated Press. October 13, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Police kill Ore. man who wounded real estate agent". Associated Press. October 13, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Police identify inmate fatally shot by deputy". Associated Press. October 12, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- Walt Michot & David Ovalle (October 11, 2011). "Police shoot, kill man who stole police cruiser". The Miami Herald.
- Alison Bowen (October 3, 2011). "Midtown cops shoot, kill armed homeless woman". Metro. Archived from the original on October 6, 2011.
- "Manhunt in California Ends as Murder Suspect Is Killed". Associated Press. October 1, 2011.
- Kieran Nicholson & Carlos Illescas (September 30, 2011). "Aurora police shoot, kill man Thursday, the sixth officer-involved death in 2011". The Denver Post.
- Anthony Gomes & Chelsea Kopta (September 29, 2011). "NEW DETAILS: Man Killed By Spokane Police Left Suicide Note". KHQ.
- "Man Shot By Trooper In Farmingdale Identified". Bangor Daily News. September 23, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Man shot dead by police in Farmingdale after reports of firing weapon at others". Bangor Daily News. September 25, 2011.
- Lynn Thompson (November 21, 2011). "Pedestrians apparently targeted before Issaquah shootout". The Seattle Times.
- Sara Jean Green (November 21, 2011). "Gunman killed by Issaquah police identified". The Seattle Times.
- Jennifer Bradshaw. "Officer Involved In Deloatch Shooting Found To Be In Violation of Police Equipment Policies, Has Resigned". New Brunswick Patch. Archived from the original on 2013-01-31.
- Beth Sawicki (September 20, 2011). "Robbery suspect killed by Gwinnett police". WXIA-TV 11 Alive. Archived from the original on January 16, 2013.
- "Gwinnett Police Identify Bank Robbery Suspect". Duluth Patch. September 22, 2011. Retrieved August 5, 2012.
- Joe Johnson (September 20, 2011). "Man with gas can shot, killed by deputy". Athens Banner-Herald.
- "In Ferguson, Scrutiny on Police Is Growing". New York Times. August 20, 2014.
- "UPDATED: Fircrest man killed in crash with sheriff's deputy identified". The News Tribune. September 16, 2011. Retrieved August 6, 2012.
- "Scooter rider dies in crash with patrol car". KOMO-TV. September 16, 2011.
- Kieran Nicholson (September 16, 2011). "Colorado Springs woman killed by deputy's bullet as she fled in car". The Denver Post.
- Gayle Perez (September 20, 2011). "Man dies from cop cruiser crash". The Pueblo Chieftain.
- Marcus K. Garner & Mike Morris (September 8, 2011). "College Park man shot, killed in alleged burglary of APD officer home". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Carla Zanoni & Ben Fractenberg (September 7, 2011). "Inwood Grandfather Shot by Cop During Drug Bust Dies". DNAInfo. Archived from the original on August 22, 2014.
- "Det. who killed Inwood man in 2011 used lethal force before". Retrieved 2016-06-23.
- "Coroner releases autopsy results in officer involved shooting". WLTZ 38. September 13, 2011. Archived from the original on May 16, 2012.
- Tim Chitwood & Alan Riquelmy (September 8, 2011). "UPDATE: Investigators still can't link firefighter, robbery suspect killed in police shooting". The Ledger Enquirer.
- "Moultrie man tased before being shot". WALB. September 5, 2011.
- Doug Evans (September 1, 2011). "GBI Investigates Probation Officer's Death". WAGA-TV.
- Jennifer Emert (September 2, 2011). "Officer shooting shows importance of training safely". WALB.
- Al Baker & Jeff Leibowitz (August 30, 2011). "Trouble at a Bar, a Suspected Break-In, Then a Fatal Standoff With the Nassau Police". The New York Times.
- Matt Hicks (November 4, 2011). "Deadly Shooting Justified in Ithaca". WBGN. Archived from the original on April 27, 2012.
- Christopher Seward & David Ibata (August 12, 2011). "Daylong Police Standoff In DeKalb County Ends With Suspect Dead". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Deidra Dukes (August 11, 2011). "Suspect Dies After Bank Robbery and Police Chase". WAGA-TV.
- Jeff Hodson (September 1, 2011). "Shoreline protest over fatal police shooting". The Seattle Times.
- Joel Provano & John Spink (August 10, 2011). "Suspected 'Burger King Bandit' shot dead in Buckhead". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- "1 dead at Atlanta Burger King shooting". The Augusta Chronicle. August 10, 2011.
- Jordan Steffen (August 6, 2011). "Man shot, killed by Denver police after high-speed chase". The Denver Post.
- "RE: Investigation of the shooting death of David Jerome Maestas, dob 01-05-78, in which Officer David Ryan, #04072, and Officer Robert Warren, #04063, fired shots on August 6, 2011, at 22nd Avenue and Downing Street, Denver, Colorado" (PDF).
- "Sheriff Fires Deputy After Investigation Of Fatal Crash". KKTV. September 27, 2011.
- "Officer-Involved Shooting Kills Elgin Man". KEPR TV. August 1, 2011.
- "Wanted Felon Killed In Shootout With Columbus Officers". NBC4i. August 1, 2011.
- "Man Wielding a Knife Shot and Killed by Police". KMPH 26 News. August 1, 2011. Retrieved July 29, 2016.
- Jakob Rodgers (September 20, 2011). "DA: Fatal July shooting in Black Forest justified". The Gazette.
- Jody Callahan (July 25, 2011). "Ballistic tests to determine if police or husband fired shot that killed Memphis woman". The Commercial Appeal.
- Carlos Illescas & Jordan Steffen (July 30, 2011). "Aurora police review policies after shooting death". The Denver Post.
- Alexis Stevens (July 23, 2011). "Stabbing suspect fatally shot by Douglas cop identified". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Justin Jouvenal (August 30, 2011). "Fairfax County officers cleared in fatal shooting". The Washington Post.
- Christine Clarridge (July 22, 2011). "Woman identifies man killed in Walmart shooting". The Seattle Times.
- David Ibata (July 21, 2011). "Suspect killed by Cobb police identified". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Kim Ngan Nguyen (October 21, 2011). "Coroner: Death Of Man At Zoo Was Homicide". ABC 7 News.
- Caroline Kyungae Smith (July 17, 2011). "Police shoot, kill man outside South Side club". Chicago Tribune.
- Deanese Williams-Harris (July 17, 2011). "Man fatally wounded by police in exchange of gunfire on West Side". Chicago Tribune.
- "Deputy shoots, kills man in fight in Lynnwood". The Seattle Times. July 16, 2011.
- "Chief: Man killed by SF police sought in Wash". The Seattle Times. July 18, 2011.
- Joe Garofoli (July 17, 2011). "SF police shoot, kill man in Bayview foot chase". www.sfgate.com.
- "Avondale Estates officer shoots, kills man". Atlanta Journal Constitution. July 15, 2011.
- Conor Shine (July 30, 2012). "Three more officer-involved shootings cleared by district attorney". Las Vegas Sun.
- "Deputies kill man at Hall County subdivision". Athens Banner-Herald. July 12, 2011.
- Ashley Fielding (July 13, 2011). "Services Friday for mother, son who were shot". Gainesville Times. Archived from the original on January 24, 2013.
- Christine Clarridge (July 12, 2011). "Court papers describe Bothell man's fatal encounter with deputy". The Seattle Times.
- "Former Bengals RB Turner killed in police shooting". The Ledger Enquirer. July 11, 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Deputies Fatally Shoot Former NFL Running Back". TurnTo23.com. 23 ABC KERO Bakersfield. July 11, 2011. Retrieved August 11, 2016.
- Angel K. Brooks (July 1, 2011). "Man killed in officer-involved shooting in SW Atlanta". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Jess Sullivan (May 20, 2012). "Probes clear police in recent officer-involved shootings". Daily Republic.
- Meghann M Cuniff (June 29, 2011). "Spokane killer shot dead in attempted prison escape". The Spokesman-Review.
- "Winchester, NH Police Officers Used Stun Guns Before Deadly Shooting". CBS Boston. June 28, 2011.
- Kevin McKenzie (June 6, 2011). "Two Memphis police officers wounded, suspect killed in shootout". The Commercial Appeal.
- Alexis Stevens (June 27, 2011). "Fulton County man shot to death by Fla. police". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- "Lewis County deputy kills suspect in Napavine". The Seattle Times. June 20, 2011.
- "Man Police Shot During Traffic Stop Was Armed With Armor-Piercing Bullets". KIROTV. June 16, 2011. Archived from the original on May 30, 2012.
- "Homicide Ruling in O'Loughlin Death, Lawyer: 'He was beaten to death'". The Westerly Sun. September 20, 2011.
- Jordan Guinn (October 23, 2011). "Chants, march greet police". The Record (Stockton, CA). Retrieved September 8, 2012.
- "Family settles with Manteca police for $2.2M - News* - recordnet.com - Stockton, CA". Recordnet.com. 2014-03-29. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- Duenez family press release
- Jeremy Gorner, Steve Mills & Stacy St. Clair (October 22, 2011). "Chicago cop under scrutiny for 3 shootings, 2 of them fatal". Chicago Tribune.
- "Richland police shoot, kill man". The Seattle Times. June 5, 2011.
- "Mother identities man killed by Richland police". The Seattle Times. June 6, 2011.
- "District attorney still reviewing Galt officer-involved shooting". Lodi News-Sentinel. January 26, 2012.
- "Adam Hortter - 13062". Fatal Encounters. Retrieved August 6, 2016.
- "Deputy Shoots, Kills Man After Struggle". KERO 23 Bakersfield. E. W. Scripps Co. Retrieved August 9, 2016.
- "Judge: Jury should decide suit over officer-involved shooting". American-Statesman.
- Gaspar, Jose (6 June 2011). "Deputies cleared in shooting of man in wheelchair". Bakersfield Now. KBAK and Sinclair Broadcast Group. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- David Smiley & Diana Moskovitz (June 1, 2011). "Gun found in car of man killed by Beach cops during Urban Beach Week". The Miami Herald.
- "Rudy Medrano - 13066". Fatal Encounters. 29 May 2011. Retrieved 6 August 2016.
- "Sheriff's Deputies Shoot, Kill Man In Wheelchair". TurnTo23. KERO TV Bakersfield, Scripps Station Group. 30 May 2011. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- Gaspar, Jose (6 June 2011). "Deputies cleared in shooting man in wheelchair". Bakersfield Now. KBAK - Sinclair Broadcasting. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- Rhonda Cook & Mike Morris (May 27, 2011). "Police kill 'Grandma Bandit' suspect: Roxanne Taylor shot mutiple [sic] times after pursuit by Ga. cops; Wanted in string of drugstore robberies". Police One.
- "Police kill woman wanted in Atlanta-area holdups". Athens Banner-Herald. May 27, 2011.
- Rhonda Cook (May 20, 2011). "Cobb PD investigates fatal police shooting". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Alexis Stevens (May 19, 2011). "Trooper shoots, kills man in Newton County". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Ian Cull (May 19, 2011). "UPDATE: 18-year-old Shot and Killed by Yakima SWAT Team". KVEW TV. Archived from the original on May 10, 2012.
- Cameron Easley (September 12, 2011). "Cottageville cop who killed former mayor laid off". WALB.
- Laura Figueroa (May 13, 2011). "Man shot by police in North Miami Beach". The Miami Herald.
- Heywood Hoffman (August 25, 2011). "Man charged in robbery that triggered fatal police shooting". Chicago Tribune.
- Eric Horng (May 11, 2011). "CPD: Man on run after Bridgeport shootout". abc7chicago.com.
- Rubin, Joel (May 7, 2012). "Beck, civilian panel again at odds on shooting". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- Juarez, Leticia (2011-05-12). "Man dies after being tasered by San Bernardino sheriff's deputy | abc7.com". Abclocal.go.com. Retrieved 2016-08-28.
- "Adrian Perez (13076)". Fatal Encounters. Retrieved August 6, 2016.
- "Man shot and killed after firing at officers". Bakersfield.com. Bakersfield Californian. May 10, 2011. Retrieved August 10, 2016.
- Sara Jean Green (May 4, 2011). "Armed man shot by Kent cops was ill and wanted to be killed, family says". The Seattle Times.
- Kristi E. Swartz & Mike Morris (May 3, 2011). "Marietta police identify robbery suspects". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- David Mance (May 2, 2011). "Man Killed in Shootout With Sunnyside Police Identified". KVEW TV. Archived from the original on May 10, 2012.
- S.C. Police Chief Charged With Murder in 2011 Shooting of Unarmed Black Man, NBC News
- Wilson, Patrick (2012-03-19). "Ill fate brought together Portsmouth officer, cook". The Virginian Pilot. Archived from the original on March 20, 2012. Retrieved 2013-05-14.
- Christine Clarridge (April 18, 2011). "Kent man killed by deputy had led car pursuits". The Seattle Times.
- "Man killed by KingCo deputy had rammed cars". The Seattle Times. April 19, 2011.
- Jeremy Gorner & Dawn Rhodes (April 20, 2011). "Mom struggles with fatal shooting of son by cop". Chicago Tribune. Archived from the original on September 17, 2011.
- Carrie Whitaker (April 17, 2012). "Reports: Cops came too close in killing of David 'Bones' Hebert". The Cincinnati Enquirer.
- Ty Tagami (April 19, 2011). "Authorities ID suspect fatally shot by state trooper". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Tonya LaFluer (April 8, 2011). "Dad Shot By Police Near Maryland Day Care". NBC Washington.
- Mike Morris (April 7, 2011). "Gwinnett suspect shot by officer dies". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- "NORCROSS: Man killed in police-involved shooting". WXIA-TV 11 Alive. April 7, 2011. Archived from the original on January 16, 2013.
- Rhonda Cook (April 5, 2011). "Fairburn man fatally shot in struggle with police". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Ann S Kim (August 3, 2011). "Deadly force justified by Kennebunk officer, state says". Portland Press Herald.
- Carlos Illescas (July 7, 2011). "Aurora settles with family of man killed by police". The Denver Post.
- Brandon Johansson (July 11, 2001). "Arapahoe DA's office: Aurora officers justified in fatal shootings". Aurora Sentinel.
- Christine Clarridge (March 21, 2011). "Man with machete, killed by deputies, didn't want to go back to jail". The Seattle Times.
- Yesenia Robles & Kieran Nicholson (March 19, 2011). "Suspect in Aurora officer shooting killed by SWAT team Friday". The Denver Post.
- Brandon Johansson (March 23, 2011). "Man killed by police in Friday standoff identified". Aurora Sentinel.
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of California, 1:13-CV-00292-LJO-SAB (E.D. Cal. Mar 11, 2015). "Neal v. City of Fresno, Corp". Casetext.com. Castetxt. Retrieved July 29, 2016.
- "Fatal police encounter probed in North Idaho". The Spokesman-Review. May 16, 2011.
- Kristi E. Swartz (March 10, 2011). "Bank robbery suspect shot by police identified". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- "Fatal police shooting in Kelso ruled justified". Associated Press. April 27, 2011.
- Officer Involved Shootings, San Diego County District Attorney.
- Family of man killed by Escondido police files $30-million claim, Los Angeles Times
- "Whatcom deputy injured, man killed near Lynden, WA". The Seattle Times. February 28, 2011.
- Eric Lupher (February 25, 2011). "Man Killed By Police When He Answers Door With Gun". KKTV.
- Rhonda Cook (October 4, 2011). "Former DeKalb police officer indicted in fatal car crash". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
- Portia Bruner (October 4, 2011). "Former DeKalb Co. Officer Indicted in Fatal Crash". WAGA-TV.
- Lawrence Buser (March 10, 2011). "Deputy justified in Mason shooting". The Commercial Appeal.
- "Lakewood WA police kill woman who pointed weapon". The Seattle Times. February 14, 2011.
- Yesenia Robles & Jordan Steffen (February 12, 2011). "Man shot dead by Aurora cop likely discovered he was being watched". The Denver Post.
- Bianca Cain (February 10, 2011). "Richmond County deputy kills man in traffic stop". The Augusta Chronicle.
- "Deputy kills man". Athens Banner-Herald. February 11, 2011.
- Meghann M Cuniff (February 8, 2011). "Woman killed in police shooting a Montana fugitive". The Spokesman-Review.
- Meghann M Cuniff (June 30, 2011). "Deadly Idaho police shooting ruled justified". The Spokesman-Review.
- "Domestic-violence suspect fatally shot in Lakewood". The Seattle Times. February 9, 2011.
- Stacey Mulick (April 5, 2011). "Medical examiner says Lakewood officer's bullet killed man in vehicle". THE NEWS TRIBUNE. Archived from the original on February 16, 2013.
- Meghann M Cuniff (February 12, 2011). "Probe into officer's killing of pedestrian continues, but vehicular homicide standards high". The Spokesman-Review.
- Meghann M Cuniff (June 29, 2011). "Officer's text message ruled a factor in pedestrian fatality". The Spokesman-Review.
- "Fatal Yakima police shooting ruled to be justified". Associated Press. February 18, 2011.
- "Man killed by Tacoma police a veteran ironworker". The Seattle Times. January 30, 2011.
- Ileana Morales; Waveny Moore; Jamal Thalji; Emily Nipps (January 1, 2011). "Two officers and a gunman killed in St. Petersburg shootout". St. Petersrburg Times.
- "Suspect killed in scuffle with deputy". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. January 24, 2011.
- Josh Roberts (January 28, 2011). "2 Memphis Police Officers Involved in Shooting that Leaves 1 Man Dead". abc24.
- Tayleigh Davis (January 23, 2011). "Mother dies in trooper-involved wreck". WALB.
- "2 Officers, Suspect Killed in Miami Shootout". Fox News. January 20, 2011.
- John Craig (January 17, 2011). "Spokane man killed by police". The Spokesman-Review.
- Glenn Jordan (January 16, 2011). "Knife-wielding Sanford man shot to death by sheriff's deputy". Portland Press Herald.
- "Police Defend Fatal Shooting of Naked Man in Playa Vista". Chicago Tribune. January 16, 2011. Archived from the original on January 19, 2013.
- "LA to pay $8.15 million to settle lawsuits over men shot and killed by police". dailynews.com. Los Angeles Daily News. 13 December 2016. Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- Guy, Jim; Jimenez, Eddie (January 13, 2011). "CHP officer fatally shoots suspect in Fresno County". Fresno Bee. Retrieved July 29, 2016.
- "Editorial: The death of Eurie Stamps". MetroWest Daily News. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Man shot by police in Bellevue ID'd". The Seattle Times. January 7, 2011.
- "Deputy, suspect in Enon Beach trailer park shootout are dead". The Medina County Gazette. January 3, 2011.
- James H. Burnett III (January 1, 2011). "Miami preacher asks the deeper question about fatal police shootings". The Miami Herald.
- Christine Clarridge (January 28, 2011). "Girl killed in Port Orchard police shootout ID'd as 13-year-old Utah runaway". The Seattle Times.
- Mike Archbold (March 18, 2011). "Shootout at Port Orchard Walmart called murder-suicide". The News Tribune.