List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States, 2012
This is a list of people reported killed by non-military law enforcement officers in the United States in 2012, whether in the line of duty or not, and regardless of reason or method. The listing documents the occurrence of a death, making no implications regarding wrongdoing or justification on the part of the person killed or officer involved. Killings are arranged by date of the incident that caused death. Different death dates, if known, are noted in the description.
For lists of killings from other years, see: List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States.
These lists are incomplete. Although Congress instructed the Attorney General in 1994 to compile and publish annual statistics on police use of excessive force, this was never carried out, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation does not collect these data either. The annual average number of justifiable homicides alone was previously estimated to be near 400. Updated estimates from the Bureau of Justice Statistics released in 2015 estimate the number to be around 930 per year, or 1240 if assuming that non-reporting local agencies kill people at the same rate as reporting agencies. The Washington Post has tracked shootings (only) since 2015, reporting 990 shootings in that year, and 963 in 2016.
The Guardian newspaper runs its own database, The Counted, which tracked US killings by police and other law enforcement agencies including from gunshots, tasers, car accidents and custody deaths. In 2015 they and counted 1146 deaths and 1093 deaths for 2016. The database can be viewed by state, gender, race/ethnicity, age, classification (e.g., "gunshot"), and whether the person killed was armed. The Washington Post also keeps a database of police killings for 2015 to 2017. The database can also classify people in various categories including race, age, weapon etc. The database lists 995 deaths for 2015, 963 for 2016 and 976 for 2017.
- List of killings by law enforcement officers by countries
- Death in custody
- Encounter killings by police (India)
- List of American police officers killed in the line of duty
- List of cases of police brutality
- Lists of killings by law enforcement officers
- List of killings by law enforcement officers in the United States
- Lynching in the United States
- Police brutality in the United States
- Police misconduct
- Police riots in the United States
- Police use of deadly force in the United States
- Tony Dokoupil (January 14, 2014). "What is police brutality? Depends on where you live". NBC News.
- Johnson, Kevin (October 15, 2008). "FBI: Justifiable homicides at highest in more than a decade". USA Today.
- Bialik, Carl (March 6, 2015). "A New Estimate Of Killings By Police Is Way Higher — And Still Too Low". FiveThirtyEight.
- "People shot and killed by police this year". Washington Post. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- Sullivan, John; Hawkins, Derek (1 April 2016). "In fatal shootings by police, 1 in 5 officers' names go undisclosed". The Washington Post. Retrieved 7 July 2016.
- "The Counted: People killed by police in the US". The Guardian. Retrieved 5 February 2016.
- "The Counted: People killed by police in the US". The Washington Post. Retrieved 30 December 2017.
- "Fatal Force". Washington Post.