List of laptop brands and manufacturers
This is a list of laptop brands and manufacturers.
Top worldwide notebook shipments in 2014:
|Name||Country||Product lines||Market share|
|Acer||Taiwan||TravelMate, Extensa, Aspire, Gateway, Packard Bell||10.0%|
|Apple||United States||MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Macbook||9.3%|
|Asus||Taiwan||Asus Eee, Zenbook, ROG Series, Asus N, Asus X, Asus Chromebook||11.0%|
|Dell||United States||Inspiron, Latitude, Precision, Studio, Vostro, XPS, Studio XPS, Alienware||12.3%|
|HP||United States||HP Pavilion, HP Omnibook, HP Elitebook, HP Envy||20.1%|
|Lenovo||China||ThinkPad, IdeaPad, 3000 series||17.5%|
|Toshiba||Japan||Dynabook, Portege, Tecra, Satellite, Qosmio, Libretto||6.6%|
- Compal Electronics
- Digital Storm
- Elitegroup Computer Systems
- Falcon Northwest – DRX, TLX
- Fujitsu – LifeBook, Stylistic
- Gigabyte Technology
- Itautec – Itautec, Infoway
- Končar – Končar Elektronics and Informatics Inc.
- Lanix – Lanix Portatiles, Neuron
- LG – Xnote
- MDG Computers
- Medion – Akoya
- Meebox – Meebox, Slate
- Micro–Star International (MSI) – Megabook, Wind
- NEC – VERSA, LaVie
- Olivetti – Olibook
- Onkyo – SOTEC
- Origin PC
- Panasonic – Toughbook, Let's Note
- Positivo Informática – Positivo, Platinum, Aureum, Unique, Premium
- Razer (United States) – Blade
- Samsung - ATIV
- Sharp – Mebius
- Siragon, C.A.
- TriGem – Averatec
- VIA – NanoBook, pc–1 Initiative
- Wipro Technologies
- Wortmann – Terra Mobile
- BenQ (Taiwan) – (no longer manufactures computers)
- Acorn Computers (United Kingdom) – Deskbook, Desknote and Solonote
- Compaq (USA) (Merged in with Hewlett–Packard) – Evo, Armada, LTE, Presario
- eMachines (USA) (acquired by Gateway Computers)
- Everex (United States) – CloudBook, gBook
- Fujitsu Siemens (Germany/Japan – now defunct, as Fujitsu bought out Siemens' share of the company)
- Gericom (Austria) (defunct, now Quanmax AG)
- HTC (Taiwan) (no longer manufactures computers) – HTC Shift
- Hyundai (South Korea)
- Maxdata (Germany)
- OQO (United States)
- PC Club (United States) (Clevo brand)
- Philips (Netherlands) – (no longer manufactures computers) – X200
- Sony (Japan) – (no longer manufactures computers) – VAIO
- Vigor Gaming (United States) – Atlantis, Augustus, Artorius, and Aegis
- Voodoo PC (Canada) – Envy
- Zepto (Denmark)
Original design manufacturers (ODMs)
The vast majority of laptops on the market (94% in 2011) are manufactured by a small handful of Taiwan-based Original Design Manufacturers (ODM), although their production bases are located mostly in mainland China.
Major relationships include:
- Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
- Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq
- Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
- Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP, Dell and Lenovo
- Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer
- Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple
- Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP
|ODM||Units sold (millions)||Units sold (millions)||Units sold (millions)||Units sold (millions)||Units sold (millions)||Market share (percent)||Units sold (millions)||Market share (percent)|
|Pegatron, until 2007 Asus||14.0||18.5||17.5||15.5||10.9||8%||5||7%|
|total||N/A||194||214||203||125||100 %||72.6||100 %|
There is a discrepancy between the 2009 numbers due to the various sources cited; i.e. the units sold by all ODMs add up to 144.3 million laptops, which is much more than the given total of 125 million laptops. The market share percentages currently refer to those 144.3 million total. Sources may indicate hard drive deliveries to the ODM instead of actual laptop sales, though the two numbers may be closely correlated.
- List of computer hardware manufacturers
- List of computer system manufacturers
- List of computer/laptop brands
- Market share of personal computer vendors
- "2014 Notebook Shipments Totaled 175 M; HP Tops All and Apple Highest Growth". CTIMES News. 28 Jan 2015. Retrieved 18 July 2015.
- "Global and China Laptop and Tablet PC Industry Report, 2011-2012". Retrieved 2012-09-10.
- "Global and China Notebook PC Industry Report, 2010 - ResearchInChina". researchinchina.com. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- IPD Group. "Notebook shipments of Taiwan players from 2006-2014 (Jun 15) - World News Report - EIN News". einnews.com. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- estimate, according Barclays Capital Research: Asia ex-Japan IT Hardware Report
- Chuang, Steve (2011-01-14). "Quanta Regains Lead in Global NB PC Shipment in 2010". cens.com. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- Culpan, Tim (2010-01-18). "Quanta Seeks New Ventures, Devices After Record Profit in 2009". Bloomberg Businessweek. Retrieved 2010-07-03.
- Hachman, Mark (2007-05-09). "The Top Laptop Makers Are Not HP, Dell, or Toshiba". PC Magazine. Retrieved 2011-11-12.
- "Wistron Corporation 2009 Annual Report translation" (PDF). Wistron. 2010-04-30. p. 31. Retrieved 2010-07-03.
- "Inventec's margin grew 4.5% driven by server sector". www.computex.biz. 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2010-07-03.
- "Global and China Notebook PC Industry Report, 2009 - ResearchInChina". researchinchina.com. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "ASUSTeK Computer Inc.". ASUS. 2008. Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- "Acer loses world's No. 3 notebook-maker spot in Q4". wantchinatimes.com. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "Growing Notebook & Netbook Market Will Boost Dell's PC Business". NASDAQ.com. 12 February 2011. Retrieved 13 July 2015.