List of largest church buildings
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A church can be measured by various criteria in order to determine its size. Such measures include area, volume, length, width, height, or capacity. Several churches individually claim to be "the largest church", which may be due to any one of these criteria.
This list includes churches that are still extant and have a known area of more than 2,000 m². Entries are included even if they currently do not function as a church — for example, the Hagia Sophia is included even though it does not currently function as a church; it was was originally built as a church but was later converted into a mosque and is now a museum. Churches are not included if no reliable sources are available for their stated sizes.
- List of highest church naves
- List of the largest evangelical church auditoriums
- List of largest Orthodox cathedrals
- List of tallest church buildings
- List of longest church buildings
- List of oldest church buildings
- "St. Peter's - The Nave". Saintpetersbasilica.org. Archived from the original on 16 July 2012. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- Herbermann, Charles, ed. (1913). Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. .
- "Faith". The Times. 13 March 2012. Archived from the original on 30 August 2008. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- Quintero, Josephine. "Seville Cathedral, The City of Seville main sights, Andalucia, Southern Spain". Andalucia.com. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Patrimonio de La Humanidad – Catedral de Sevilla".
- "I NUMERI DEL DUOMO DI MILANO - Duomo Patrons Italiano". www.duomopatrons.org.
- http://www.ticketone.it, TICKETONE. "Duomo di Milano". Duomo di Milano - Biglietti.
- Ellis, Edward Robb (21 December 2004). The Epic of New York City: A Narrative History. Basic Books. p. 413. ISBN 978-0786714360. (Subscription required (help)).
- Ellis, Edward Robb Edgewood Apartments p. 413
- 9,240 m² of Lichen Basilica: enclosed main floor includes transept and apse at 290 m², enclosed tower floor at 560 m², open tower and gallery floor at 23,000 m² (which excludes the porticos at 530 m²), total area includes all floors"Sanktuarium Maryjne w Licheniu". Lichen.pl. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Cathedral". Liverpool Cathedral. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- Carvalho, António P. O.; Freitas, Diamantino (10 July 2003). "The New Megachurch For The Sanctuary Of Fátima" (PDF). Tenth International Congress on Sound and Vibration. Stockholm: University of Porto. Retrieved 2015-05-29.
- "La Basílica de Nuestra Señora del Pilar" (in Spanish). Goya.unizar.es. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Basílica de Guadalupe | Santuario". Virgendeguadalupe.org.mx. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Art & Architecture: Facts and Figures". Dekathedraal.be. Retrieved 2015-05-29.
- "The world's most extreme structures". The Guardian. 17 June 2004. Retrieved 2015-05-29.
- "Basilica of Our Lady of Peace Yamoussoukro". Emporis: Buildings. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- Wieslaw Woszczyk (27 January 2014). "Aural Architecture: Music, Acoustics, and Ritual" (PDF). Onassis Seminar on music acoustics and ritual. Stanford University. Retrieved 2015-05-29.
- "The Cathedral's dimensions". Dierk's page. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 2015-05-29.
- "Architectural History". Washington National Cathedral. Retrieved 2015-05-29.
- Structurae. "Structurae - International Database and Gallery of Structures". En.structurae.de. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "D Padova - Basilica e Abbazia di Santa Giustina". www.dpadova.com.
- "Histsory: Architecture". National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. Retrieved 2015-06-08.
- "About Calvary Temple - Biggest church in India".
- "Cathedral's official website (Romanian only)". Romanian Orthodox Church. Retrieved 2018-11-23.
- "GGiN Barneveld - Van Beijnum Architecten". www.vanbeijnumarch.nl.
- "Храм у простору и бројевима" [Temple in space and numbers]. hramsvetogsave.rs (in Serbian). Храм Светог Саве. Retrieved 10 February 2019.
- Herald, Genelle Pugmire-Daily. "BYU 48-ward conference center ready for fall". Daily Herald.
- Taylor, Scott (13 April 2011). "New LDS Church facility in Provo to house 48 wards, 4 stakes". DeseretNews.com.
- "Saint Mary's Church (Gdansk, 1502)". Structurae. Retrieved 2019-02-09.
- Sergeant, Philip W. (1899). Bell's Cathedrals: The Cathedral Church of Winchester. London: George Bell & Sons.
- Basilica de San Martin de Tours (Taal)
- "Facts & Figures". Ely Cathedral. Retrieved 2015-05-29.
- "Volumen (Kubatur) der Münchener Frauenkirche". www.gebaut.eu.
- "I love early morning Sofia". Archived from the original on 30 March 2010.
The church occupies an area of 3170 m² and can accommodate up to 5,000 worshippers inside, which makes it the second biggest cathedral on the Balkan Peninsula after the Temple of Saint Sava in Serbia.
- 15 Century Bulgaria Foundation (15 века БЪЛГАРИЯ) website, article with title Patriarchal cathedral stauropigial memorial church St. Alexander Nevsky (pdf in English)
- https://christcathedralcalifornia.org/explore/about-christ-cathedral/. Missing or empty
- "Welcome to Medak Diocese | Church of South India". Csimedakdiocese.in. Retrieved 2012-09-05.
- "Mormon church expands reach in Williamson County". The Tennessean.
- "New Mormon Stake Center opens on Sunset Road". 26 August 2015.
- "Geology of the Catholic Basilica of St. John the Baptist, St. John's, Newfoundland" (PDF). Geoscience Canada. Geological Association of Canada. 31 (1): 1–10. March 2004. Retrieved 2015-05-29.