List of laws concerning Indigenous Australians
A range of laws applying to or of specific relevance to Indigenous Australians. A number of laws have been passed since the European settlement of Australia, initially by the Parliament of the United Kingdom, then by the Governors or legislature of each of the Australian colonies and more recently by the Parliament of Australia and that of each of its States and Territories, these laws, arranged chronologically, include:
- An Act to prohibit the Aboriginal Natives of New South Wales from having Fire Arms or Ammunition in their possession without the permission of a Magistrate (No.13a/1840)
- An Ordinance to Provide for the Protection, Maintenance, and Up-Bringing of Orphans and other Destitute Children of the Aborigines (No.12/1844)
- An Act to prohibit the supply of Intoxicating Liquors to the Aboriginal Natives of New South Wales
- For records relating to the WA Aboriginal Protection Board see the WA States Records Office accessed 20 March 2008 Archived 29 February 2008 at the Wayback Machine.
- An Act to provide for the better protection and management of the Aboriginal natives of Western Australia, and to amend the law relating to certain contracts with such Aboriginal natives (statute 25/1886)
- Aboriginal Protection Board at the State Records Office of Western Australia, accessed 20 March 2008
- Act to amend an Act entitled "An Act to Provide for the Protection and Management of the Aboriginal Natives of Victoria
- An Act to make provision for the better protection and control of the Aboriginal and Half-Caste Inhabitants of the State of South Australia (No.1048/1911)
- An Act to make Better Provision for the Care, Control, and Training of Aboriginal Children, for placing Aboriginal Children under the Control of the State Children's Council, to amend the Aborigines Act, 1911, and for other purposes (No.1565/1923)
- An Act to consolidate certain Acts relating to the protection and control of the aboriginal and half-caste inhabitants of South Australia (No.2154/1934)
- Barrass, Tony; Victoria Laurie (2006-09-27). "From Terra Nullius to Noongar (in 'Long road home')". The Australian. Retrieved 2006-03-26.
- An Act to repeal the Aborigines Act, 1934-1939, and to promote the welfare and advancement of Aborigines and of persons of Aboriginal blood in South Australia and for other purposes (No.45/1962)
- Aboriginal Affairs in NSW: A Short History, NSW Department of Aboriginal Affairs, accessed 20 March 2008
- Native Title Act 1993
- Bills Digest 50 1996-97, Hindmarsh Island Bridge Bill 1996, Australian Parliamentary Library
- See Hindmarsh Island bridge controversy
- Native Title Amendment Act 1998
- Ted Mullighan is the Commissioner
- Aboriginal Heritage Act 2006
- Northern Territory National Emergency Response Act 2007 (No. 129, 2007)
- To 1987 - "Appendix – Legislation: Major acts and ordinances relating to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people". The Encyclopaedia of Aboriginal Australia: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander history, society and culture. 2. Aboriginal Studies Press. 1994. pp. 1294–1297.
- "Timeline: Legal Developments Affecting Indigenous People". Australasian Legal Information Institute. Retrieved 8 October 2010.