List of leading Thoroughbred racehorses
The list of leading Thoroughbred racehorses contains the names of undefeated racehorses and other horses which had an outstanding race record in specific categories. Note though that many champions do not appear on the list as an unexpected defeat may be caused by many factors such as injury, illness, going, racing tactics and differences in weight carried, the latter being particularly significant in North America and Australia where handicaps are common even at the highest level of racing.
A good, consistent racehorse requires ability to defeat its rivals, especially speed and stamina in varying degrees depending on the type of race. It is common to compare racehorses on multiple factors such as their overall race record, the quality of the horses they beat and the brilliance of their wins. Winning all three at the Triple Crown races is a rare achievement and is considered one of the greatest accomplishments for a Thoroughbred racehorse. Comparison of raw times is generally unreliable between horses of different eras or even in different countries. Time variations may occur as a result of racing surface, track conditions, the pace at which the race is run, etc. Timeform ratings, introduced in 1948, and Beyer Speed Figures, introduced in the United States in 1992, are relatively recent attempts to compensate for such variables. Thoroughbred Winning Brew holds the Guinness world record for the fastest speed for a racehorse, at 70.76 km/h (43.97 mph) over two furlongs, although Quarter Horses attain higher speeds over shorter distances than Thoroughbreds. Looking at average speeds for longer distances may be misleading as many races are run with a slow initial pace followed by a sprint in the stretch drive.
The two main forms of Thoroughbred horseracing are flat racing and hurdle or steeplechase (jumping) races over obstacles. Jumpers tend to be older than their flat racing counterparts and can have much longer careers, making it possible to earn a large number of wins. For example, champion hurdler Hurricane Fly holds a world record for winning 22 Grade One races over his ten-year career.
- 1 Undefeated horses
- 2 Most wins
- 3 Successive victories
- 4 Most wins in one season
- 5 Most group / grade one (G1) wins
- 6 Successive group / grade one (G1) wins
- 7 Successive Stakes wins
- 8 Once-defeated horses
- 9 $10 million prizewinning horses
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
||Pedigree and notes|
|54||Kincsem||Hungary||ch m||1874||Cambuscan (GB) x Water Nymph by Cotswold|
|25||Black Caviar||Australia||br m||2006||Bel Esprit x Helsinge by Desert Sun (GB)|
|19||Peppers Pride||United States||B.f.||2003||Desert God x Lady Pepper by Chili Pepper Pie|
|18||Eclipse||Great Britain||Ch.c.||1764||Marske x Spilletta by Regulus|
|18||Karayel||Turkey||B.h.||1970||Prince Tudor (GB) x Linda (TUR) by Cihangir (GB). Triple Crown winner.|
|16||Ormonde||Great Britain||B.c.||1883||Bend Or x Lily Agnes by Macaroni. Triple Crown winner.|
|16||Prestige||France||b c||1903||Le Pompon x Orgueilleuse by Révérand|
|16||Ribot||Great Britain||B.c.||1952||Tenerani (ITY) x Romanella (ITY) by El Greco|
|15||Colin||United States||Br.c.||1905||Commando x Pastorella (GB) by Springfield|
|15||Macon||Argentina||c.||1922||Sandal (GB) x Bourgogne by Your Majesty|
|14||Frankel||Great Britain||B.c.||2008||Galileo x Kind by Danehill|
|14||Highflyer||Great Britain||B.c.||1774||Herod x Rachel by Blank|
|14||Nearco||Italy||Br.c.||1935||Pharos (GB) x Nogara by Havresac II(FR)|
|13||Barcaldine||Great Britain||B.c.||1878||Solon x Ballyroe by Belladrum|
|13||Personal Ensign||United States||B.f.||1984||Private Account x Grecian Banner by Hoist The Flag|
|13||Tremont||United States||B.c.||1884||Virgil x Ann Fief by Alarm|
|12||Asteroid||United States||B.c.||1861||Lexington x Nebula by Glencoe (GB)|
|12||Braque||Italy||B.h.||1954||Antonio Canale x Buonamica by Niccolò dell'Arca|
|12||Crucifix||Great Britain||B.f.||1837||Priam x Octaviana by Octavian|
|11||Goldfinder||Great Britain||B.c.||1764||Snap x mare by Blank|
|11||Kurifuji (Toshifuji)||Japan||Ch.f.||1940||Tournesol (GB) x Kenfuji by Chapel Brampton (GB)|
|10||Nereide||Germany||B.f.||1933||Laland x Nella da Gabbio (ITY) by Grand Parade (GB)|
|10||Tokino Minoru||Japan||B.c.||1948||Theft (IRE) x Daini Tyrant's Queen (GB) by Soldennis|
|9||Bahram||Great Britain||B.c.||1932||Blandford x Friar's Daughter by Friar Marcus|
|9||Combat||Great Britain||Br.c.||1944||Big Game x Commotion by Mieuxce (FR)|
|9||Grand Flaneur||Australia||B.c.||1877||Yattendon x First Lady (GB) by St. Albans|
|9||Handsomchamp||USA||Gr./R h.||2002||Fabulous Champ x Holly D by Hey Rob|
|9||Patience||Hungary||Ch.f.||1902||Bona Vista x (GB) Podagra (GB) by Galopin|
|9||Regulus||Great Britain||B.c.||1739||Godolphin Arabian x Grey Robinson by Bald Galloway|
|9||St. Simon||Great Britain||B.c.||1881||Galopin x St. Angela by King Tom|
|8||La Cressonniere*||France||b.f.||2013||Le Havre x Absolute Lady by Galileo|
|8||Alipes||Great Britain||Br. or b. f.||1757||Regulus x Lusty by Locust|
|8||American Eclipse||United States||Ch.c.||1814||Duroc x Miller's Damsel by Messenger|
|8||Caracalla||France||B.c||1942||Tourbillon x Astronomie by Asterus|
|8||Maruzensky||Japan||b. c.||1974||Nijinsky II x Shill by Buckpasser|
|8||Sweetbriar||Great Britain||Ch. c||1769||Syphon x mare (1763), by Shakespeare|
|8||Tiffin||Great Britain||b. f.||1926||Tetratema x Dawn-wind, by Sunstar|
|7||El Rio Rey||United States||B.h.||1887||Norfolk x Marian by Malcolm|
|7||Kitano Dai O||Japan||Ch.c.||1965||Die Hard x Kitano Hikari by Tosa Midori|
|7||Malt Queen||Australia||Br.f.||1905||Maltster x Her Majesty by Sunrise|
|7||Mannamead||Great Britain||h.||1929||Manna x Pinprick by Torpoint|
|7||Perdita II||Great Britain||B.m.||1881||Hampton x Hermione by Young Melbourne|
|7||The Tetrarch||Ireland||Gr.c.||1911||Roi Herode (FR) x Vahren by Bona Vista|
|7||Zarkava||Ireland||B.f.||2005||Zamindar (USA) x Zarkasha by Kahyasi|
|6||Bay Middleton||Great Britain||B.c.||1833||Sultan x Cobweb by Phantom|
|6||Bustin Stones||United States||Ch.h.||2004||City Zip x Shesasurething by Prospectors Gamble|
|6||Candy Ride||Argentina||B.c.||1999||Ride The Rails (USA) x Candy Girl by Candy Stripes (USA)|
|6||Cavaliere d’Arpino||Italy||B.c.||1926||Havresac II (FR) x Chuette (GB) by Cicero|
|6||Claude||Italy||B.h.||1964||Hornbeam (GB) x Aigue-Vive (FR) by Vatellor|
|6||Flying Childers||Great Britain||B.c.||1714||Darley Arabian x Betty Leedes by Wharton's Careless|
|6||Hurry On||Great Britain||Ch.c.||1913||Marcovil x Tout Suite by Sainfoin|
|6||Quintessence||Great Britain||B.f.||1900||St. Frusquin x Margarine by Petrarch|
|6||Tolgus||Great Britain||B.h.||1923||Stefan the Great x Rosa Croft by Lemberg|
|5||Ajax||France||B.h.||1901||Flying Fox x Amie by Clamart|
|5||Dice||United States||B.h.||1925||Dominant x Frumpery by Chicle|
|5||Emerson||Brazil||B.c.||1958||Coaraze (FR) x Empenosa by Full Sail (GB)|
|5||Husson||Argentina||Ch.h.||2003||Hussonet (USA) ex Villa Elisa (CHI) by Roy|
|5||Kneller||Great Britain||Ch.c.||1985||Lomond x Fruition by Rheingold|
|5||Landaluce||United States||B/br.f.||1980||Seattle Slew x Strip Poker by Bold Bidder|
|5||Landgraf||Germany||B.c.||1914||Louviers (GB) x Ladora (GB) by Ladas|
|5||Melair||United States||Gr.f.||1983||Debonair Roger x Melrose Nugget by Viking Spirit|
|5||Norfolk||United States||B.c.||1861||Lexington x Novice by Glencoe (GB)|
|5||Precocious||Great Britain||B.c.||1981||Mummy's Pet x Mrs Moss by Reform|
|5||Reset||Australia||B.h.||2000||Zabeel x Assertive Lass by Zeditave|
|5||Fasliyev||Ireland||B.h.||1997||Nureyev x Mr P's Princess by Mr. Prospector|
|5||Teofilo||Ireland||B.h.||2004||Galileo x Speirbhean by Danehill|
|5||Queen's Logic||Ireland||Ch. f.||1999||Grand Lodge x Lagrion by Diesis|
|4||Agnes Tachyon||Japan||ch.h.||1998||Sunday Silence x Agnes Flora by Royal Ski. Won Satsuki Sho.|
|4||Blood Royal||Ireland||B.c.||1971||Ribot x Natashka by Dedicate|
|4||Catchascatchcan||Great Britain||B.f.||1995||Pursuit of Love x Catawba by Mill Reef. Yorkshire Oaks.|
|4||Fuji Kiseki||Japan||blk.h||1992||Sunday Silence x Millracer by Le Fabuleux. Champion two-year-old.|
|4||Golden Fleece||United States||B.c.||1979||Nijinsky II (CAN) x Exotic Treat by Vaguely Noble. Won Epsom Derby.|
|4||Lammtarra||United States||Ch.c.||1992||Nijinsky II (CAN) x Snow Bride by Blushing Groom. Three Group 1 victories.|
|4||Madelia||France||Ch.m.||1974||Caro x Moonmadness by Tom Fool|
|4||Raise a Native||United States||Ch.c.||1961||Native Dancer x Raise You by Case Ace. Champion two-year-old colt.|
|4||Snap||Great Britain||Blk.c.||1750||Snip x Sister to Slipby by Fox. Noted sire.|
|4||Vindication||United States||B.h.||2000||Seattle Slew x Strawberry Reason by Strawberry Road. Breeders' Cup Juvenile.|
|4||White Moonstone||Great Britain||B.f.||2008||Dynaformer x Desert Gold by Seeking the Gold|
|4||Drone||United States||Gr.c.||1966||Sir Gaylord x Cap and Bells by Tom Fool|
|4||McCracken *||United States||B.c.||2014||Ghostzapper x Ivory Express|
|3||Blue Train||Great Britain||Ch.c.||1944||Blue Peter x Sun Chariot (IRE) by Hyperion|
|3||Boniform||New Zealand||B.h.||1904||Multiform x Otterden (GB) by Sheen|
|3||Cobweb||Great Britain||B.f.||1821||Phantom x Filagree by Soothsayer. Winner of 1000 Guineas and Oaks.|
|3||Danzig||United States||B.c.||1977||Northern Dancer (CAN) x Pas De Nom by Admirals Voyage|
|3||Kantharos||United States||Ch.c.||2008||Lion Heart x Contessa Halo by Southern Halo. Two graded stakes.|
|3||Footstepsinthesand||Ireland||B.c.||2002||Giant's Causeway x Glatisant by Rainbow Quest. Won 2000 Guineas|
|3||Pharis||France||Bl.c.||1936||Pharos (GB) x Carissima by Clarissimus. Noted sire.|
|3||Pronto||Argentina||B.c.||1958||Timor x Prosperina by Gusty|
|3||Valyra||Great Britain||B.f.||2008||Azamour x Valima by Linamix|
Horses without five known starts
Nordlicht (chestnut horse 1941–1968, by Oleander x Nereide, by Laland) was also undefeated after an unknown number of starts. His victories included the Deutsches Derby and Austrian Derby. Middleton and Amato had one start each with both of them winning the Epsom Derby and then retiring. Cherimoya did likewise when she won the Epsom Oaks in her only start. Morston (colt by Ragusa x Windmill Girl by Hornbeam) had two starts, winning both, the second of which was the 1973 Epsom Derby. Sailor won both his races, including the 1820 Epsom Derby. Suspender had three starts, in smaller races, for three wins. Don Juan by Loyalist, Ball's Florizel (1801), Mirza by the Godolphin Arabian, and Lecturer (1869), were also unbeaten, but the number of their wins is unknown.
Kingston (by Spendthrift) had 138 starts and won 89 of these, including 30 stakes-races. According to the American Horse Racing Hall of Fame, the 89 wins is the all-time record. Commencing a winning sequence as a four-year-old on 21 August 1888, Kingston had 35 race starts until 30 May 1891 during which he was defeated only twice. Bankrupt won 86 races from 348 starts, and he was also by Spendthrift.
Catherina (1830, by Whisker), started in 171 races and won 75 of them, many over long distances, including the Manchester Cup and Heaton Park's King's Cup. Pan Zareta started 151 times with 76 wins.
The horses who were defeated but had ten or more consecutive race wins include:
- 56 wins – Camarero (PR)
- 49 wins – Cofresi (PR)
- 44 wins – Condado (PR)
- 39 wins – Galgo Jr (PR)
- 24 wins – Sicotico (DOM), won Clasico del Caribe and Dominican Triple Crown
- 23 wins – Leviathan (USA) (1793)
- 22 wins – Miss Petty (AUS)‡, Pooker T (PR), Rapid Redux
- 21 wins – Fashion, Kentucky, Picnic in the Park (AUS), (Bond's) First Consul (USA), Lottery (USA), Meteor (GB),
- 20 wins – Filch (Ireland)
- Desert Gold (NZ)‡, Gloaming (AUS), Light (FR), Zenyatta (USA)‡, The Hero (GB)
- 18 wins – Ajax (AUS), Sally Hope‡, Big Buck's, Hindoo, Squanderer (IND)
- 17 wins – Careless (Warren's, 1751), Gay Lungi (AUS), Gradisco (Venezuela), Hanover, Mainbrace, Silent Witness, Mister Park
- 16 wins – Cigar (USA), Citation (USA), Hallowed Dreams (USA), Miss Woodford‡, Mister Frisky, Sweetmeat (GB), The Bard, Winx‡ (AUS)
- 15 wins - Bayardo, Bernborough (AUS), Boston, Brigadier Gerard, Buckpasser(USA), Carbine (NZ), Gay James (AUS), Man o' War (USA), Pretty Polly‡ Vander Pool (USA)
- 14 Harry Bassett (USA), Overdose, Phar Lap (NZ), Springfield (GB), Stylish Lord (AUS) Douvan,
- 13 Camarine, Bula (1965) (over hurdles), Limerick (NZ), Mollie McCarty, The Flying Dutchman, Timoleon
- 12 Harkaway (1834), Morvich, Tulloch, No Involvement, Spectacular Bid, Super Easy (NZ)
- 11 Eurythmic, Kingston Town (AUS), Native Dancer, Nijinsky, Somerset Fair, Songbird
- 10 Annie Power (IRE), Better Than Ever (AUS), Co Tack, Kindergarten (NZ), Lost in the Fog, Piko, Quijano (GER), Ruffian (USA), Surround‡, Tom Fool, Sprinter Sacre, Native Dancer, Awesome Feather, Mac Diarmada, Solow (GB), Star Guitar (USA) Tuscalee (USA)
Timoleon (1813) won 13 consecutive races and sired National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame horse Boston (1833), who started in about 45 races, winning 40, including 15 in succession. Boston then sired Lexington, who had 7 starts for 6 wins and a place. Lexington in turn sired Kentucky (23 starts, 21 wins), plus the undefeated Asteroid and Norfolk.
Most wins in one season
- 22 wins – Luke Blackburn (1880), in 24 starts
- 21 wins – Fisherman, Picnic In The Park (AUS) from 23 starts including breaking down in final race, Top Ace (AUS)
- 19 wins – Citation (1948), in 20 starts; Camarero (1954, Puerto Rico); Roseben (1905), in 29 starts, Rapid Redux (2011, USA) Phar Lap (AUS)
- 18 wins – Hindoo (1881), Clifford (1893)
- 17 wins – Kincsem (1877, Hungary)
- 16 wins – Provideo, Timeless Times Sweetmeat (GB), The Bard (1883, GB)
- 15 wins – Alsab, Mainbrace (NZ), Old Rosebud (1917), Kingston (1891); Pan Zareta (1913 & 1915), Round Table (1957)
- 14 wins – Ajax, Desert Gold (NZ)‡, Phar Lap (NZ), Tulloch (NZ), Twilight Tear
- 13 wins – Gloaming, Grey Way (NZ), Nagwa, Spindrifter, Uncle Remus Whirlaway, Buckpasser
- 12 wins – Colin (USA), Kingston Town (AUS), Surround‡ Mac Diarmida (USA), Zev (USA), Coaltown (USA), Damascus (USA)
- 11 wins – Man o' War (USA), Armed (1946 and 1947), Poseidon, Proud Miss‡, Soba, Vindaloo, Red Craze, Cicada, Discovery, Seabiscuit, Bold Ruler
- 10 wins – Bernborough (AUS), Busher (USA), Carbine (NZ), Cigar (USA), Count Fleet (USA), Equipoise (USA), Exterminator (1920-1922), Kindergarten (NZ), Lady's secret (1985&1986), Nashua (USA), Ormonde (GB), Rising Fast (NZ), Sarazen(USA), Spectacular Bid (USA), Trafalgar, Tom Fool (USA), Tuscalee (USA)
Most group / grade one (G1) wins
To identify the highest quality races, the pattern race system was introduced in Europe in 1971, followed by the graded stakes system in North America in 1974. Other countries followed suit, though the criteria and quality has not always been consistent between racing jurisdictions. The following list considers horses that won grade one / group one races that were open for International competition. Winners of local (restricted) group / grade one wins are not included.
The horses with ten or more such G1 race wins are:
- 22 wins – Hurricane Fly (IRE)
- 16 wins – John Henry (USA), Kauto Star (FR)
- 15 wins – Black Caviar (AUS)‡
- 14 wins – Affirmed (USA), Forego (USA), Goldikova (IRE)‡, Kingston Town (AUS), Istabraq (IRE)
- 13 wins – Spectacular Bid, Sunline (NZ)‡, Tie the Knot (AUS), Zenyatta (USA)‡, Bayakoa (ARG)‡, Moscow Flyer (IRE)
- 11 wins – Beholder (USA)‡, Cigar (USA), Lady's Secret (USA)‡, Lonhro (AUS), Manikato, McDynamo (USA), Rough Habit (NZ), Serena's Song‡ (USA), Winx‡ (AUS), Wise Dan (USA)
- 10 wins – Azeri (USA)‡, Beef or Salmon (IRE), Big Buck's (FRA), Brave Inca (IRE), Dahlia (USA)‡, Frankel (GB), Miesque (USA)‡, Paseana (ARG)‡, Octagonal (NZ), Mufhasa (NZ), Skip Away (USA), So You Think (NZ)
Successive group / grade one (G1) wins
- 9 wins – Zenyatta‡, Frankel, Hurricane Fly
- 8 wins - Black Caviar‡
- 7 wins – Bernborough, Rock of Gibraltar, Sprinter Sacre, Miss Terrible (ARG)
- 6 wins – Mill Reef, Invasor, Sea the Stars, Good Night Shirt
- 5 wins – American Pharoah, Affirmed, Cigar, Douvan, Dubai Millennium, Easy Goer, Go For Wand, Good Night Shirt, Giant's Causeway, McDynamo, Rachel Alexandra, Seattle Slew, Solow, Spectacular Bid, Skip Away, Wise Dan
Successive Stakes wins
- 23 wins – Black Caviar‡
- 17 wins – Zenyatta‡
- 16 wins – Winx‡
- 15 wins – Citation
- 12 wins – Brigadier Gerard, Frankel
- 11 wins – Kingston Town, Cigar
- 10 wins- Star Guitar
|22:21–1–0||Native Dancer||United States||Gr.h. 1950||Polynesian x Geisha by Discovery||Kentucky Derby 2nd|
|21:20–1–0||Man o' War||United States||Ch.h. 1917||Fair Play x Mahubah by Rock Sand||Sanford Stakes 2nd|
|20:19–1–0||Zenyatta||United States||B/br.f. 2004||Street Cry x Vertigineux by Kris S.||2010 Breeders' Cup Classic 2nd|
|19:18–0–0||Hambletonian||Great Britain||B.h. 1792||King Fergus x Grey Highflyer by Highflyer|
|19:18–0–0||Squanderer||India||B.c. 1973||Valoroso (GB) x Milky Way (IND), by Scamperdale (GB)|
|18:17–1–0||Botafogo||Argentina||1914||Old Man x Korea (GB) by Raeburn|
|18:17–1–0||Brigadier Gerard||Great Britain||1968||Queen's Hussar x La Paiva by Prince Chevalier||1973 Benson & Hedges Gold Cup 2nd|
|18:17–0–0||Gradisco||Venezuela||1960||Show Ring x Gradara by Orsenigo|
|16:15–1–0||The Flying Dutchman||Great Britain||1846||Bay Middleton x Barbelle by Sandbeck||1850 Doncaster Cup 2nd|
|15:14–0–1||Sysonby||United States||1902||Melton x Optime by Orme||Sheepshead Bay Futurity 3rd|
|15:14–1–0||Douvan||Ireland||B.g.||Walk In The Park x Star Face||2014 Debut 2nd|
|14:13–1–0||Camarine||Great Britain||1828||Juniper x Rubens mare by Rubens||Maiden race 2nd|
|13:12–0–1||Faugheen||Ireland||B.g.||Germany x Miss Pickering by Accordion||2015 Morgiana Hurdle 2nd|
|12-11-1-0||Leonatus||United States||1880||Longfellow x Leamington|
|12:11-1-0||Songbird*||United States||2013||Medaglia d'Oro x Cappucino Bay||2016 Breeders cup Distaff 2nd|
|12:11–0–0||Alba||Germany||1927||Wallenstein x Arabis by Ard Patrick|
|12:11–0–0||Invasor||Argentina||B.h 2002||Candy Stripes x Quendom by Interprete||2005 UAE Derby 4th|
|12:11–1–0||Isinglass||Great Britain||1890||Isonomy x Deadlock by Wenlock||Lancashire Plate 2nd|
|11:10–1–0||Queen of Trumps||Great Britain||br. f. 1832||Velocipede x Princess Royal by Castrel||1835 Scarborough Stakes (attacked by dog)|
|11:10–0–1||Wheel of Fortune||Great Britain||f. 1869||Adventurer x Queen Berths by Kingston||1879 Great Yorkshire Stakes|
|11:10–0–1||Galopin||Great Britain||1872||Vedette x Flying Duchess by The Flying Dutchman||1874 Middle Park Plate 3rd|
|11:10–1–0||Imi||Hungary||1953||Internezzo x Minci by Mannamead|
|11:10–0–0||Ruffian||United States||f. 1972||Reviewer x Shenanigans by Native Dancer||Match race against Foolish Pleasure DNF|
|11:10-1-0||Atlantic Jewel||Australia||b. f. 2008||Fastnet Rock x Regard by Zabeel||2013 Underwood Stakes|
|10:9–1–0||Don John||Great Britain||1835||Waverley x Comus mare by Comus||1839 Port Stakes 2nd|
|10:9–1–0||Alleged||United States||1974||Hoist the Flag x Princess Pout by Prince John||1977 St. Leger Stakes 2nd|
|10:9–0–0||Dubai Millennium||Great Britain||1996||Seeking The Gold x Colorado Dancer by Shareef Dancer||1999 Epsom Derby 7th|
|10:9–1–0||Forli||Argentina||1963||Aristophanes (GB) x Trevisa by Advocate (GB)|
|10:9–1–0||West Australian||Great Britain||1850||Melbourne x Mowerina by Touchstone. Triple Crown winner.|
|10:9–1–0||Majestic Prince||United States||1966||Raise a Native x Gay Hostess by Royal Charger||1969 Belmont Stakes 2nd|
|10:9–1–0||Divine Proportions||United States||2002||Kingmambo x Myth to Reality by Sadler's Wells||2005 Prix Jacques Le Marois 2nd|
|10:9–1–0||Horse Chestnut||South Africa||1995||Fort Wood x London Wall by Col Pickering|
|10:9–1–0||Phone Trick||United States||1982||Clever Trick x Over the Phone by Finnegan|
|10-9-0-0||Stopshoppingdebbie||United States||2010||Curlin X taste the passion||2014 L.A Woman 5th|
|9:8–1–0||Dante||Great Britain||1942||Nearco x Rosy Legend by Dark Legend||1945 2000 Guineas Stakes, 2nd|
|9:8–1–0||Donatello II||France||1934||Blenheim II (GB) x Delleana (ITY) by Clarissimus (GB)|
|9-8-1-0||King Glorious||United states||1986||Naevus x Glorious Natalie||1989 Gold rush 2nd|
|9:8–1–0||Herold||Germany||1917||Dark Ronald x Hornisse by Ard Patrick|
|9:8–1–0||Mistress Ford||France||1933||Blandford (IRE) x Polly Flinders II by Teddy|
|9:8–0–0||Sea the Stars||Ireland||2006||Cape Cross x Urban Sea by Miswaki||Maiden race|
|9:8–1–0||Sicambre||France||1948||Prince Bio x Sif by Rialto||1950 Prix Morny, 2nd|
|9:8–1–0||Smarty Jones||United States||2001||Elusive Quality x I'll Get Along by Smile||2004 Belmont Stakes, 2nd|
|9:8–0–1||Sun Chariot||Ireland||1939||Hyperion x Clarence by Diligence|
|9:8–1–0||Horometer||Canada||1931||Hourless x Star Pal by North Star|
|9:8–1–0||Dalakhani||Ireland||2000||Darshaan x Daltawa by Miswaki||2003 Irish Derby, 2nd|
|8:7–1–0||Kingman||United Kingdom||2011||Invincible Spirit x Zenda by Zamindar||2014 2000 Guineas Stakes, 2nd|
|8:7–1–0||Graustark||United States||1963||Ribot x Flower Bowl by Alibhai||1966 Blue Grass Stakes, 2nd|
|8:7–0–0||Big Brown||United States||B.h. 2005||Boundary x Mien by Nureyev||2008 Belmont Stakes DNF|
|8:7–0–0||King Kamehameha||Japan||B.h. 2001||Kingmambo x Manfath by Last Tycoon||2004 Keisei Hai|
|8:7–0–0||Reel||United States||Gr.m. 1838||Glencoe (GB) x Gallopade by Catton|
|8:7–0–0||Shakespeare||United States||B.h. 2001||Theatrical x Lady Shirl by That's a Nice||2005 Breeders' Cup Turf|
|8:7–1–0||Sea Bird||France||1962||Dan Cupid x Sicalade by Sicalade||1964 Grand Critérium, 2nd|
|8:7–1–0||Macaroni||United Kingdom||1860||Sweetmeat x Jocose||debut race at 1862|
|8:7–1–0||El Gran Senor||United States||1981||Northern Dancer x Sex Appeal by Buckpasser||1984 Epsom Derby, 2nd|
|8:7–1–0||Sinndar||Ireland||1997||Grand Lodge x Sinntara x Lashkari||2000 Ballysax Stakes, 2nd|
|8:7–0–1||Grand Parade||Ireland||blk.c. 1916||Orby x Grand Geraldine by Desmond|
|8-7-0-0||Rock fall||united states||2011||Speightstown x renda by Medaglia d'Oro||8th in debut race|
|7:6–1–0||St Patrick||Great Britain||1817||Walton x Dick Andrews mare by Dick Andrews|
|7:6–0–0||Barbaro||United States||2003||Dynaformer x La Ville Rouge by Carson City||2006 Preakness Stakes DNF|
|7:6–1–0||Lexington||United States||1850||Boston x Alice Carneal by Sarpedon (GB)|
|7:6–1–0||Partner||Great Britain||1718||Jigg x Sister to Mixbury, by Curwen's Bay Barb|
|7:6–0–0||Val d'Or||France||1902||Flying Fox x Wandora by Bruce|
|6-5-0-1||Graydar||United States||2009||Unbridled's Song x Sweetest Smile by Dehere||3rd allowance|
|6:5–1–0||Hoist the Flag||United States||1968||Tom Rolfe x Wavy Navy by War Admiral|
|6:5–1–0||Kingston Treasure||Hong Kong||1995||Spectacular Love x Attempting by Try My Best|
|6:5–1–0||Majesticperfection||United States||2006||Harlan's Holiday x Act So Noble by Wavering Monarch|
|6:5–1–0||Meld||Great Britain||f. 1952||Alycidon x Daily Double by Fair Trial|
|6:5–1–0||Sebring||Australia||Ch.c. 2005||More Than Ready x Pure Speed by Flying Spur|
|6:5–1–0||Voltaire||Great Britain||1826||Blacklock x mare by Phantom|
|6:5–0–0||Zilzal||United States||Ch.c 1986||Nureyev x French Charmer by Le Fabuleux||1989 Breeders' Cup Mile, 6th|
|5-4-0-0||Woodwin W||United States||2012||More then Ready x Josette||2015 Penn Mile 10th|
|5:4–1–0||Bletchingly||Australia||Br.h. 1970||Biscay x Coogee (GB) by Relic (USA)|
|5-4-0-0||Midnight Lucky||United States||Br.f. 2010||Midnight Lute x Citiview||2013 Kentucky Oaks|
|5-4-0-0||Classic Empire*||United States||2014||Pioneerof the Nile x Sambuca Classica||Hopful stakes DNF|
|5:4–1–0||Riddlesworth||Great Britain||1828||Emilius x Fillagree by Soothsayer|
|4-3-0-0||Smooth Roller||United States||2011||Hard Spun x catch the moment||4th in the Harry F Brubaker|
|4:3–1–0||Blandford||Ireland||1919||Swynford x Blanche by White Eagle|
|4-3-0-0||Buddha||United States||1999||Unbridled's Song x Cahooters||10th debut race|
|4:3–0–0||Wild Dayrell||Great Britain||Br.h. 1852||Ion x Ellen Middleton by Cain. Won Epsom Derby.|
|3:2–0–1||Bois Roussel||Great Britain||Br.h. 1935||Vatout x Plucky Liege by Spearmint. Won Epsom Derby.||3rd Grand Prix de Paris|
|3-2-0-1||New Years Day||United states||Br.h 2011||Street Cry x Justwhisledixie||3rd debut race|
|3:2–0–0||Nureyev||United States||1977||Northern Dancer x Special by Forli||2,000 Guineas Stakes DSQ (finished 1st)|
|3:2–0–0||Wilkes||France||1952||Court Martial x Sans Tares (GB) by Sind.|
* Still active
$10 million prizewinning horses
The following horses have earned over $10 million dollars in prize money. Most of them raced in Japan, Hong Kong, Australia and/or Dubai where purses are generally higher than in the United States or Europe – Arrogate is the only horse on the list to have raced exclusively in the US. Where applicable, the conversion to US$ was made at the time the horse raced so does not reflect current exchange rates.
- Orfevre (Japan) 1,576,213,000 yen (USD $19,005,276)
- Buena Vista (Japan) JPY 1,478,869,700 (USD $17,018,548)
- T M Opera O (Japan) JPY 1,835,189,000 (USD$16,200,337)
- Gentildonna (Japan) JPY 1,030,758,000 (USD$15,978,745)
- Gold Ship (Japan) 1,397,767,000 yen (USD$15,040,217)
- California Chrome (USA) $14,752,650 USD
- Vodka 1,333,565,800 JPY (US$13,147,826)
- Victoire Pisa $12,891,734
- Deep Impact (Japan) 1,454,551,000 yen (USD$12,825,285)
- Narita Brian (Japan) 1,026,916,000 yen ($12,026,101 USD)
- Symboli Kris S (USA) 984,724,000 JPY ($11,531,995 USD)
- Vermilion (Japan) 1,168,607,500 yen (USD$11,139,125)
- Arrogate (USA) $11,084,600 USD
- Makybe Diva (GB) A$14,526,685 (US$10,767,186). Raced in Australia.
- Espoir City (JPN) $11,443,812
- Curlin (USA) USD$10,501,800
- Winx (AUS) USD $10,438,925
- Viva Pataca (GB) HKD$81,297,500 (US$10,438,864.83)
Most of the above horses belong to the Nearco sireline, mostly through the branches established by Sunday Silence and Northern Dancer. However, Curlin and Arrogate descend instead from Native Dancer. Both Nearco and Native Dancer were grandsons of Phalaris.
In 1951, Citation became the first horse to win one million dollars. In 1979, Affirmed became the first horse to break the two million dollar barrier, finishing his career with earnings of $2.3 million. Spectacular Bid broke this record in 1980, amassing career earnings of $2.8 million. Purses began to increase sharply soon afterwards thanks in large part to the Breeders' Cup. The next record holders were John Henry, who earned $6.6 million by the end of his career in 1984 and Alysheba, with earnings of $6.7 million by the end of his career in 1988. Cigar was the next to hold the North American earnings title, finishing his career in 1998 with earnings just shy of $10 million ($9,999,815). That remained the North American record until Curlin in 2008, who earned $10.5 million. The current North American earnings record of $14.8 million was set in 2016 by California Chrome. Note that Cigar, Curlin and California Chrome all won the Dubai World Cup, then the world's richest horse race.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Famous race horses.|
- "Timeform's Greatest Racehorses". timeform.com. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Beyer Numbers". www1.drf.com. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Fastest speed for a race horse". Guinness World Records. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
- Nielsen BD1, Turner KK, Ventura BA, Woodward AD, O'Connor CI. "Racing speeds of quarter horses, thoroughbreds and Arabians". Equine Vet J Suppl. 38: 128–32. doi:10.1111/j.2042-3306.2006.tb05528.x. PMID 17402407.
- "What is Jump racing? - Racing Explained". www.racingexplained.co.uk. 2 December 2014. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- "Hurricane Fly 'horse of a generation' retired | Horse Racing News | Racing Post". www.racingpost.com. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Kincsem Horse Pedigree, Pedigree Online Thoroughbred Database.
- ASB: Black Caviar. Retrieved 2010-10-09.
- Shinar, Jack (2008-12-17). "Peppers Pride Perfect Streak Peaks at 19". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- Eclipse Horse Pedigree, Pedigree Online Thoroughbred Database.
- Briggs, Helen (2006-03-17). "'Averageness' key to great racehorses". BBC News Online. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- Amos, Jonathan (2005-09-05). "DNA study of 'greatest racehorse'". BBC News Online. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- The Independent: Racing. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- Hall, Gideon. "The Richest Man in Horse Racing" (PDF). Bakerstreet Journal. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- Erigero, Patricia. "Bend Or". Thoroughbred Heritage Portraits. Retrieved 2009-04-09. (Ormonde is listed as part of its heritage).
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Sardanapale. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- Ribot Horse Pedigree, Pedigree Online Thoroughbred Database.
- "Colin". National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame. Archived from the original on 29 May 2008. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: William the Third. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "Sporfinglife.com". Sportinglife.com. 2010-03-12. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Peters, Anne; Patricia Erigero. "Highflyer". Thoroughbred Heritage Portraits. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- "Personal Ensign". National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame. Archived from the original on 2 January 2009. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- Hollingsworth, Kent, The Kentucky Thoroughbred, University Press, Kentucky, 1985.
- Talmadge Phelps, John and Frank, Dormello-Olgiata, 1961–1962, Derby Publishing Co., Milan, 1962.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Priam. Retrieved 2010-03-17 Note: Several sources state that she won all 12 of her starts, but she dead-heated in one race.
- Pick, William; Johnson, R. (1805). The Turf Register (Volume II). A. Bartholoman, High-Ousegate.
- Tb Heritage – Oleander. Retrieved 2009-08-02.
- Ahnert, Rainer L. (editor in chief), "Thoroughbred Breeding of the World", Pozdun Publishing, Germany, 1970.
- Leicester, Sir Charles, "Bloodstock Breeding", J.A. Allen & Co, London, 1969.
- Barrie, Douglas M., The Australian Bloodhorse, Angus & Robertson, Sydney, 1956.
- "Handsomchamp Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Morland, Thomas Hornby, "The Genealogy of the English Race Horse", J Barfield, London, 1810.
- "St. Simon". Thoroughbred Bloodlines. Retrieved 2009-04-09.
- "La Cressonniere". Racing Post. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- Pick, William; Johnson, R. (1803). The Turf Register (Volume I). A. Bartholoman, High-Ousegate.
- Montgomery, E.S, "The Thoroughbred", Arco, New York, 1973 ISBN 0-668-02824-6.
- Bloodlines: Sweetbriar. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Norfolk. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- Henry, Bill (ed.), "J.J. Miller's Sporting Annual, 1977", Herald & Weekly Times Ltd., Melbourne.
- ASB: Zarkava (IRE). Retrieved 2009-08-24.
- Equibase: Bustin Stones. Retrieved 2011-03-16.
- Thoroughbred Stallion Register – 1984, Australian Jockey Club, ISSN 0155-6134.
- Peters, Anne. "Flying Childers". www.tbheritage.com. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- Family 26: Old Merlin Mare. Retrieved 2010-03-29.
- Time Magazine. Retrieved 2010-11-11.
- APFT: Racing and breeding in South America. Retrieved 2010–08–24.[dead link]
- Husson(ARG). Retrieved 2010-09-09.
- Morris, Tony; Randall, John (1990). Horse Racing: Records, Facts, Champions (Third Edition). Guinness Publishing. ISBN 0-85112-902-1.
- Equibase: Melair. Retrieved 2010-10-03.
- "Fasliyev". Racing Post. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Teofilo. Retrieved 2010-06-12.
- "Queen's Logic". Racing Post. 2011-06-02. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Bayer, Barbara (24 June 2009). "Top stallion Agnes Tachyon dies". The Japan Times Online. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- racing Post: Fuji Kiseki. Retrieved 2009-12-25.
- "English Derby Winner: Golden Fleece". www.chef-de-race.com. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- "Lammtarra, European champion and pensioned sire, dies at age 22". Daily Racing Form. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- Marignan. Retrieved 2009-12-05.
- New York Times: Raise a Native Destroyed. Retrieved 2009-12-20.
- "Snap". www.bloodlines.net. Retrieved 7 January 2017.
- "Horsehats.com". Horsehats.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Schweitzer, Mary. "Bloodhorse.com". Bloodhorse.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Martian. Retrieved 2010-04-30.
- Leading Sire Danzig Pensioned at Claiborne. Retrieved 2009-08-12.
- Equibase: Kantharos. Retrieved 2010-12-05.
- "Footstepsinthesand". Racing Post. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Valyra". Racing Post. Retrieved 2012-10-20.
- Talmadge Phelps, John and Frank , Dormello-Olgiata, 1961–1962, Derby Publishing Co., Milan, 1962.
- "How did a German derby winner end up in louisiana?". Bloodstock in the bluegrass. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- The Mercury newspaper, 9 December 1916, p. 4, Hobart, Tasmania.
- Wentworth, Lady, "Thoroughbred Breeding Stock", George Allen & Unwin Ltd., London, 1960.
- "Kingston". www.racingmuseum.org. Retrieved 24 October 2016.
- TbH: Spendthrift. Retrieved 2010-08-22.
- TbH: Whisker. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- Thoroughbred Times: Camarero's record of 56 consecutive wins turns 50. Retrieved 2010-08-27.
- The Independent: World's top-rated horse Harbinger is sent to stud. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- Sicotico-24-for-26-has-retired-to-stud. Retrieved 2010-10-28.
- The Independent. Retrieved 2010-10-28.
- Huxley, Dennis, Miller's Guide, Sporting records, 2009/2010, Miller's Guide P/L, Moonee Ponds.
- . Retrieved 2011-11-21.
- Bloodlines: E-F. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- Bloodlines: L. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- American turf register and sporting magazine, Volume 3. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- "Big Buck's". Racing Post. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- "Hindoo | National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame". www.racingmuseum.org. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- 14 – Lucifer?? (1813). Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- Bloodlines: Careless. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- 2008 Tasmanian Racing Hall of Fame inductees. Retrieved 2010-09-24.
- Venezuelan Riding anecdotes. Retrieved 2010-09-24.
- National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2010-10-30.
- "Live Horse Racing News | Racing News As It Happens". Racing Post. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- Citation's 16, 1948. Retrieved 2010-04-10.
- Racing Museum HoF. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- Horse racing. Retrieved 2010-09-02.
- Thoroughbred Heritage. Retrieved 2011-07-12.
- Tb Heritage: Petrarch. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- "Winx Horse Profile". www.racenet.com.au. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "History Challenge: Tom Fool, Native Dancer made their marks in '53". Daily Racing Form. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- "Gay James". www.queenslandhistoryofracing.com.au. Retrieved 3 October 2016.
- Tb Heritage: Pretty Polly. Retrieved 2010-11-02.
- BRYAN FIELD.Times Wide World Photo.Times Wide World Photo. (1931-07-26). "New York Times – July 26, 1931". Select.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Racing Museum HoF. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- Overdose is only seventh in Baden- Baden. Retrieved 2010-08-30.
- Tb Heritage: Springfield. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- "Douvan". Racing Post. Retrieved 29 December 2016.
- "Famous horses". Retrieved 2013-08-30.
- Pring, Peter; "Analysis of Champion Racehorses", The Thoroughbred Press, Sydney, 1977, ISBN 0-908133-00-6.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Mollie McCarty. Retrieved 2010-11-09.
- The Sportsman, Volumes 4–5. Retrieved 2010-11-01.
- Most Continuous Races Won. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Just Racing. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- "Spectacular Bid - Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Super Easy - Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Songbird Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 8 November 2016.
- Racehorse Sales. Retrieved 2011-02-24.
- Co-Tack Horse racord Hong Kong Jockey Club
- "Lost in the Fog profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 8 October 2016.
- Racing Post: Quijano (GER). Retrieved 2011-01-01.
- Jumps Racing: All time favourites. Retrieved 2010-03-29.
- Equibase: Rapid Redux. Retrieved 2011-09-16.
- Provideo equalled a record. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- Thoroughbred Heritage. Retrieved 2010-10-24.
- "Spindrifter". Retrieved 2012-08-02.
- . Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Vindaloo race record". Racing Post. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- "Graded Stakes". toba.org. Retrieved 14 August 2016.
- "Hurricane Fly". Racing Post. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- Eqisearch: Racehorse John Henry Dead at 32. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- "Kauto Star". Racing Post. Retrieved 2012-03-15.
- Thomas, Ray (25 February 2017). "Super 15: Winx walks on water". The Sunday Telegraph. Retrieved 25 February 2017.
- Racing future: "Gerry, owner of Forego, dies". Retrieved 2010-07-21.
- Equibase: Goldikova (IRE). Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- Racing Post: Goldikova (IRE). Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "Istabraq". Racing Post. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- HorseHats: Spectacular Bid. Retrieved 2010-08-24.
- 19 Down, One Big One to Go for Zenyatta. Retrieved 2010-10-10
- "Bayakoa Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 25 October 2016.
- "Moscow Flyer". Racing Post. 2011-06-02. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "Beholder Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Equibase: Lady's Secret. Retrieved 2011-08-29.
- "McDynamo Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Wise Dan Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Beef Or Salmon race record". Racing Post. 2011-06-02. Retrieved 2013-05-31.
- "Big Buck's". Racing Post. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- "Brave Inca". Racing Post. 2011-06-02. Retrieved 2012-04-12.
- HoF: Paseana. Retrieved 2011-01-18.
- Thoroughbred Times: Hall of Fame member Skip Away dies at 17. Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Sceptre. Retrieved 2010-09-13.
- "Miss Terrible Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- Thoroughbred Bloodlines: Hambletonian. Retrieved 2010-03-17.
- "Thoroughbred Stallion Register", 1978, Australian Jockey Club, Randwick, NSW, 1978.
- Tb Heritage. Retrieved 2009-10-18.
- Pryor, Peter, The Classic Connection, Cortney Publications, Luton, 1979.
- Thoroughbred Heritage: Reel. Retrieved 2010-04-21.
- Bloodlines: Partner (Crofts). Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- Golden Slipper winner Sebring retired. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- Morris, Simon; Tesio Power 2000 – Stallions of the World, Syntax Software.
- Ward (recorder), Frederick R. (1974). Australian Register of Thoroughbred Stallions. Sydney: Excelsis Press. p. 346.
- Farrell, Maureen (1 May 2009). "The World's Top-Earning Horses". Forbes. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Buena Vista profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Gold Ship Profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "California Chrome profile". www.equibase.com. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- http://www.equibase.com/profiles/Results.cfm?type=Horse&refno=8754542®istry=T Victoire Pisa - Equibase Profile
- "Affirmed First Horse To Earn $2 Million". The New York Times. 25 June 1979. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Spectacular Bid's Brilliance Remembered". BloodHorse.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Top 50 Thoroughbred Horses All Time Leading Money Earners". www.horseraceinsider.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.