List of letters used in mathematics and science
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- This list is about the meanings of the letters used in mathematics, science and engineering. SI units are indicated in parentheses. For the Unicode block
see Mathematical Alphanumeric Symbols.
Latin and Greek letters are used in mathematics, science, engineering, and other areas where mathematical notation is used as symbols for constants, special functions, and also conventionally for variables representing certain quantities.
- Some common conventions:
- Intensive quantities in physics are usually denoted with minuscules
while extensive are denoted with capital letters.
- Most symbols are written in italics.
- Vectors can be denoted in boldface.
- Sets of numbers are typically bold or blackboard bold.
|ℵ||Cardinality of infinite sets|
|ℶ||Cardinality of infinite sets|