List of massacres in New Zealand
Jump to navigation Jump to search
The following is a list of events that have been called massacres that have occurred in New Zealand (numbers may be approximate). Massacres considered part of the campaigns of the New Zealand Wars are listed separately.
|Christchurch mosque shootings||15 March 2019||Christchurch, Canterbury||51||Firearms||51 killed and 49 injured. Occurred at two mosques in Christchurch: Al Noor Mosque and Linwood Islamic Centre. Australia-born Brenton Harrison Tarrant pleaded guilty to murder and engaging in a terrorist act.|
|Raurimu massacre||8 February 1997||Raurimu, King Country||6||Firearm (sawn off single-barrelled shotgun)||Also 4 wounded. Stephen Anderson found not guilty of murder by reason of insanity.|
|New Empire Hotel arson||4 February 1995||Hamilton||6||Fire||Alan Wayne Lory convicted of manslaughter.|
|Bain family murders||20 June 1994||Dunedin||5||Firearm (.22lr semi-auto)||David Bain convicted, but acquitted in a re-trial.|
|Ratima family murders||26 June 1992||Masterton||7||Hammer, knife||Raymond Wahia Ratima convicted of murder.|
|Schlaepfer family murders||20 May 1992||Paerata, Auckland Region||7||Shooter (Brian Schlaepfer) among dead.|
|Aramoana massacre||13–14 November 1990||Aramoana, Otago||14||Firearm (scoped semi-automatic rifle)||3 (unofficially 4) injuries. Shooter (David Gray) among dead.|
|Noema Rika murders||27 May 1951||Ōtaki, Kapiti Coast||5||Shooter (Rika) among dead|
|Featherston prisoner of war camp riot||25 February 1943||Featherston, Wairarapa||49||80 wounded|
|1941 Kowhitirangi shootings||8–20 October 1941||Kowhitirangi, West Coast||8||Shooter (Stanley Graham) among dead|
|Henare Hona murders||21 October 1934||Morrinsville, Waikato||6||Shooter (Hona) among dead|
|Himatangi massacre||6 September 1929||Himatangi, Manawatu||8||Unsolved shooting and arson, possibly murder/suicide|
|Waikino schoolhouse shooting||19 October 1923||Waikino, near Waihi||2||Firearm (.32-cal pistol), also armed with 3 sticks of gelignite (not used)||Also 6 others wounded. Local farmer John Christopher Higgins sought revenge over alleged persecution|
|Maungatapu murders||21 February 1866||Maungatapu, Tasman||5||Three members of a gang led by Richard Burgess were hanged for the murders|
|Finnigan family murders||September 1865||Otahuhu, Auckland||4 or 5||Also spelt Finnegan in contemporary sources. James Stack was convicted and hanged in April 1866|
|Maketū Wharetōtara murders||1841||Kororareka, Northland||5||Maketū Wharetōtara, also known as Wiremu Kīngi Maketū, became the first person officially executed in New Zealand (7 March 1842)|
|Invasion of the Chatham Islands||November 1835||Chatham Islands||2000||Part of the Musket Wars|
|Siege of Pukerangiora||November 1831||Waitara River, Taranaki||1200||Part of the Musket Wars|
|Boyd massacre||December 1809||Whangaroa Harbour, Northland||66|
|Revenge attacks following death of Marion du Fresne||13 June 1772–July 1772||Bay of Islands, Northland||250|
|Death of Marion du Fresne||12 June 1772||Bay of Islands, Northland||26|
Massacres during the New Zealand Wars
|Mohaka massacre||10 April 1869||Mohaka, Hawke's Bay||68||Part of Te Kooti's War|
|Pukearuhe massacre||13 February 1869||Pukearuhe, Taranaki||8||Attack on Pukearuhe Redoubt by a Ngāti Maniapoto war party|
|Ngatapa massacre||5 January 1869||Ngatapa, Gisborne||120||Part of Te Kooti's War|
|Poverty Bay massacre||10 November 1868||Poverty Bay, Gisborne||54||Part of Te Kooti's War|
|Rangiaowhia massacre||21 February 1864||Rangiaowhia, Waikato||11||Part of the Waikato War|
|Gilfillan family killings||18 April 1847||Wanganui||4||An act of utu (revenge) for the killing of a Māori chieftain during the Wanganui Campaign|
|Wairau Affray||17 June 1843||Tuamarina, Marlborough||26||8 wounded|
- "Deadly Christchurch mosque shootings: 49 dead after 'well-planned' attack". Radio New Zealand. 15 March 2019.
- "49 People Killed After Mass Shootings At Mosques In New Zealand". BuzzFeed News.
- Rawlinson, Kevin; Hunt, Elle; Weaver, Matthew; Zhou, Naaman; Lyons, Kate; Martin, Lisa (15 March 2019). "New Zealand shooting: suspect due in court after 49 killed – latest updates". www.theguardian.com.
- "Police with the latest information on the mosque shootings". Radio New Zealand. 17 March 2019.
- email@example.com @AnnaLeask, Anna Leask Anna Leask is senior police reporter for the New Zealand Herald (3 February 2017). "Raurimu 20 years on: the madman, the massacre and the memories" – via www.nzherald.co.nz.
- "crime.co.nz". www.crime.co.nz. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Killer out for Christmas". Stuff.co.nz. 20 December 2009. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Four more years for mass murderer Raymond Ratima". Stuff.co.nz. 11 October 2017. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Day of slaughter on family farm". The New Zealand Herald. 18 May 2007. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "David Gray kills 13 at Aramoana, 13 September 1990," New Zealand History,
- McKinnon, Malcolm. "Himatangi murders". Te Ara. Retrieved 25 February 2020.
- "Revisiting a dark day: A mass school shooting in New Zealand". Stuff.co.nz. 28 December 2018. Retrieved 27 December 2018.
- "Murder in a small Kiwi school". Stuff.co.nz. 23 December 2012. Retrieved 27 December 2018.
- "Welcome to crime.co". www.crime.co.nz. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "An early tragedy", Te Ara: The Encyclopedia of New Zealand, 22 April 2009. Retrieved 5 October 2015.
- Oliver, S. "Maketu Wiremu Kingi", Te Ara: The Encyclopedia of New Zealand, 30 October 2012. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Smith, Percy S. "Fall of Puke-Rangiora Pa, 1831 (Second siege)". NZETC.