Mayor of Karachi
|Mayor of Karachi
Karachi Metropolitan Corporation
|Residence||'Camp Office' KDA Scheme 1, Gulshan-e-Iqbal|
|Appointer||Electorate of Karachi|
|Term length||4 years|
|Constituting instrument||Karachi City Municipal Act|
|First holder||Jamshed Nusserwanjee Mehta|
|Deputy||Dr. Arshad Vohra|
Karachi Local Government System
The current Karachi Local Government System follows Sindh Local Government Act 2013 (SLGA 2013)
The Karachi Local Government consists of Karachi Metropolitan Corporation which is subdivided into of 6 District Municipal Corporations (DMCs) which are headed by Chairmen and Deputy Chairmen. the districts or Zila of Karachi Local Government as of Sindh local government act 2013 are District Central, District West, District East, District South, Malir and Korangi.Each district is further divided into Union Committees (UCs) which are headed by Chairmen and vice chairmen. Each Union committee is further sub divided into four wards. The Local government elections directly elect the UC chairmen/vice chairmen panel and the 4 ward members of each UC. the seats are reserved for women, non Muslim minorities, youth members and labours in a Union Committee all of which are indirectly elected by the direct election of chairman/vice chairman panel.
The chairman of a Union committee belongs to the City council/KMC and elects the Mayor/deputy mayor candidate, while the Vice Chairman of Union Committee elects the chairman/Vice chairman of District Municipal corporation (DMC) and works in District municipal corporation office.
The City Hall
The historic and iconic building of Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) houses the offices of mayor and deputy mayor of the city and the city council Hall with 304 members (Union committee chairmen). The foundation of the building was laid in 1927 and the construction was completed on 1930. the cost of building was 1,725,000 RS.
List of Mayors
Mayors of Karachi (1933 - 1962)
|No||Name of nazim||Starting term||Ending term||Notes|
|1||Jamshed Nusserwanji Mehta||November 1933||August 1934||First Mayor of Karachi, 1st Parsi mayor|
|2||Teakum Dass Vadhumull||August 30, 1934||May 3, 1935||First Hindu mayor of the city|
|3||Qazi Khuda Buksh||May 3, 1935||May 9, 1936||First Muslim mayor of the city|
|4||Ardeshir H. Mama||May 9, 1936||May 4, 1937||2nd Parsi mayor|
|5||Durgadas Advani||May 4, 1937||May 6, 1938||Amil Sindhi business magnate|
|6||Hatim Ali Alvi||May 6, 1938||May 5, 1939|
|7||R.K. Sidhwa||May 5, 1939||May 7, 1940|
|8||Lalji Malhootra||May 7, 1940||May 6, 1941|
|9||Muhammad Hashim Gazdar||May 6, 1941||May 8, 1942|
|10||Soharab K.H. Katrak||May 8, 1942||May 11, 1943||Parsi historian and author|
|11||Shambo Nath Molraaj||May 11, 1943||May 10, 1944|
|12||Yousaf Abdullah Haroon||May 10, 1944||May 8, 1945||son of Sir Abdullah Haroon|
|13||Manuel Misquita||May 8, 1945||May 1, 1946||First Christian mayor of Karachi, Goan Pakistani |
|14||Wishram Das Dewan Das||May 9, 1946||May 9, 1947|
|15||Hakeem Muhammad Ahsan||May 9, 1947||May 25, 1948|
|16||Ghulam Ali Alana||(May 25, 1948||July 8, 1948||1st post- independence mayor of the city, Biographer of founder of Pakistan|
|17||Allah Bakhsh Gabol (1st term)||Apr 1951||January 10, 1953||Grandfather of politician Nabil Gabol|
|18||H.M. Habibullah Paracha||1953|
|19||Mahmoud Haroon||January 19, 1954||May 26, 1955||Founder Editor of Khaleej Times|
|20||Al-Haj Malik Bagh Ali||May 26, 1955||May 29, 1956|
|21||Siddique Wahab||May 30, 1956||December 14, 1956|
|23||Allah Bakhsh Gabol (2nd term)||May 1961||October 1962|
Mayors of Karachi (1979 - Present)
1979 - 2005:Though the LBEs were, by law, held on a non-party basis, in reality the political parties were at the heart of the process. Political parties were openly supporting candidates, and the media was extensively reporting party involvement.
2016 elections: were party based officially.
|#||Party Flag||Name of nazim||Starting term||Ending term||Deputy Mayor||Notes|
|24||Abdul Sattar Afghani (1st term)||November 9, 1979||November 7, 1983||non-partisan Local govt by Gen. Zia|
|25||Abdul Sattar Afghani (2nd term)||November 7, 1983||February 12, 1987|
|26||Farooq Sattar||January 9, 1988||July 27, 1992||Abdul Razik Khan||Youngest Mayor of the world at the age of 28|
|27||Naimatullah Khan||August 14, 2001||May 2005||Tariq Hasan||non-partisan City District govt 2000-2010 by Gen. Musharraf, Sindh Local Government Ordinance (SLGO) 2001|
|28||Syed Mustafa Kamal||October 17, 2005||February 2010||Nasreen Jalil|
|29||Waseem Akhtar||August 30, 2016||incumbent||Dr. Arshad A Vohra||First party based Local elections of Pakistan, Sindh Local Govt Act (SLGA 2013). Arshad Vohra served as acting mayor Aug, 30 2016–Nov, 16 2016 before release of Waseem Akhtar|
|Karachi Mayor Election, 2005|
|1||Muttahida Qaumi Movement||Mustafa Kamal||1,490||64.5%|
* All counsellors (13 from each 174 Union Council) participated in direct voting process for mayor election for CDGK). The election took place on October 6, 2005. Naimatullah Khan was fielded by Tameer-i-Karachi Ittehad of the combined opposition parties.
|Karachi Mayor Election, 2016|
|1||Muttahida Qaumi Movement||Waseem Akhtar||208||68.2%|
|2||Pakistan Peoples Party||Karamullah Waqasi||86||28.2%|
|3||did not vote||-||11||3.6%|
* The 308 directly and indirectly elected members of Union Committee of KMC voted for Mayor of Karachi on August 24, 2016. Waseem Akhter comfortably defeated 6 party alliance formed to contest against the city`s dominant political force, the MQM
PTI Karachi leader Faisal Vawda submitted petition for the disqualification of Karachi mayor-elect Waseem Akhter few hours before his oath taking ceremony in the Sindh High Court. Sindh High Court withdrew his production orders and all sessions judges in Karachi were stopped from administering the oath after not getting clearance from the Sindh High Court. Faisal Wavda petition was later rejected and second production orders were issued.
Waseem Akhter was crowned mayor of Karachi on August 30, 2016. Ceremony was held at Polo Ground.
- "KDA, KMC battle over deputy mayor's official residence". www.geo.tv. Retrieved 2016-10-05.
- 'Karachi under the Raj 1843-1947'
- "2005 Pakistan final report local elections commonwealth aceproject.org".
- Ghori, Habib Khan (2005-10-07). "KARACHI: Mustafa Kamal is new city nazim". Retrieved 2016-09-18.
- Ghori, Habib Khan (2005-09-14). "KARACHI: 12 file papers for nazim's slot: Third phase of LB polls". Retrieved 2016-09-18.
- "KARACHI: Muttahida lays claim on Karachi, Hyderabad: Nazim, naib nazim slots". 2005-09-06. Retrieved 2016-09-18.
- "Jailed MQM leader takes oath as Karachi mayor today | ePaper | DAWN.COM". epaper.dawn.com. Retrieved 2016-09-18.
- "Faisal Vawda seeks Waseem Akhtar's disqualification as mayor Karachi". 2016-08-29. Retrieved 2016-08-30.
- "Controversy over oath-taking of Karachi mayor | SAMAA TV". Retrieved 2016-08-30.
- "SHC dismisses Vawda's petition to stop Waseem Akhtar from taking oath as Mayor". www.geo.tv. Retrieved 2016-08-30.