List of members of the United Nations Economic and Social Council
The United Nations Economic and Social Council has 54 member states which are elected by the United Nations General Assembly for overlapping three-year terms, with terms ending on 31 December of the third year. Seats on the Council are based on United Nations Regional Groups, with fourteen seats allocated to the African Group, eleven to the Asia-Pacific Group, six to the Eastern European Group, ten to the Latin American and Caribbean Group, and thirteen to the Western European and Others Group.
Membership by regional group
|2014||Botswana||Congo||Democratic Republic of Congo||Togo|
Eastern European Group
|2016||Czech Republic||Republic of Moldova|
'*' Denotes seats taken up mid-term from another member. Bulgaria will take over Hungary's seat from 2012.
Latin American and Caribbean Group
|2010||Brazil||Guatemala||Saint Lucia||Argentina||Bahamas||Chile||Peru||Saint Kitts and Nevis||Uruguay||Venezuela|
|2012||Brazil||Cuba||Dominican Republic||El Salvador|
|2014||Antigua and Barbuda||Guatemala||Panama|
|2015||Brazil||Argentina||Honduras||Trinidad and Tobago|
Western European and Others Group
'*' Denotes seats taken up mid-term from another member. Malta took over a seat from Greece on 1 January 2001, Spain from Portugal on 1 January 2002, Turkey from Portugal on 11 November 2003, and Spain from Greece on 1 January 2005. For 2011 Switzerland and Spain appear to have taken over the seats of Liechtenstein and Turkey. From 1 January 2012 Switzerland took over Norway's seat and the Netherlands took over the seat of Belgium. For 2013, Australia relinquished its seat in favor of New Zealand; Finland in favor of Denmark; Switzerland in favor of Sweden; and Germany in favor of Austria.
- United Nations Regional Groups
- List of United Nations member states
- List of members of the United Nations Security Council
- List of members of the United Nations Commission on Human Rights
- UN Economic and Social Council Members list (official site)
- Scharioth, Nicolas (2010). Western Democracies in the UN, Nomos Verlagsgesellschaft, ISBN 978-3-8329-5374-4 Statistical Data Appendix
- Members of the Economic and Social Council for 2007
- Official Document System of the United Nations – source of UN electoral records