List of men's national basketball teams
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- 1 Active teams
- 1.1 FIBA Africa
- 1.2 FIBA Americas
- 1.3 FIBA Asia
- 1.4 FIBA Europe
- 1.5 FIBA Oceania
- 1.6 Not members of FIBA
- 2 Defunct teams
- 3 FIBA country codes
- 4 See also
- 5 References
The International Basketball Federation, or FIBA recognizes 213 national teams divided into 5 zones, each roughly corresponding to a continent (North America and South America are grouped under the Americas.)
The newest national team are Kosovo which were recognized in 2015.
There are more FIBA-recognized teams than FIFA-recognized teams (211).
FIBA Americas (formerly the Pan-American Basketball Confederation), which controls North America, Central America, the Caribbean, and South America, has 43 national teams, divided into three areas. The Central American and Caribbean Confederations of Basketball (CONCECABA) is further divided into the Central America and Caribbean zone.
- Great Britain, a combined team of England, Scotland and Wales, competed in Eurobasket 2009 and played at the 2012 Olympics. Starting September 30, 2016, England, Scotland and Wales rescinded their FIBA memberships and operate internationally as the British Basketball Federation.
Not members of FIBA
- Czechoslovakia - split into two teams; no team carried over the records of Czechoslovakia
- East Germany - merged into
- South Vietnam - merged into
- South Yemen - merged into
- Soviet Union - split into 15 different national teams; no team carried over the records of the Soviet Union. National teams descended from Soviet Union are:
- The three Baltic states and Russia which played international basketball prior to 1945 inherited their old records prior to being merged with Soviet Union:
- The Unified Team (a.k.a. the Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) team) for the 1992 Summer Olympics was a one-off team.
- Later split into two teams:
- Yugoslavia - split into five teams; no team carried over the records of Yugoslavia. Other national teams descended from Yugoslavia are:
- Netherlands Antilles - replaced by:
FIBA country codes
FIBA uses IOC country codes for most countries which are IOC members. For non-IOC members and exceptions, FIBA uses the following codes:
- England: ENG
- Gibraltar: GIB
- Marshall Islands: MIS (IOC: MHL)
- Montserrat: MAT
- New Caledonia: CAL
- Norfolk Island: NIS
- Northern Mariana Islands: SAI
- Scotland: SCO
- Tahiti: TAH
- Turks and Caicos Islands: TCI
- Wales: WAL
- FIBA.com - Zones:FIBA Africa
- FIBA.com - Zones: FIBA Americas
- About FIBA Americas
- FIBA.com - Zones: FIBA Asia
- FIBA.com - Zones: FIBA Europe
- "FIBA Europe". Retrieved 4 August 2010.
- "Kosovo becomes 215th National Member Federation of FIBA". FIBA. Retrieved 13 March 2015.
- . FIBA http://www.fiba.com/news/decisions-aplenty-as-fiba-central-board-concludes. Retrieved 12 August 2015. Missing or empty
- FIBA.com - Zones: FIBA Oceania