List of military operations of India
This article needs to be updated.(February 2015)
The Indian Armed Forces is the overall unified military of the Republic of India encompassing the Indian Army, the Indian Air Force and the Indian Navy. The President of India serves as the commander-in-chief of the armed forces. With an estimated total active force of 1,325,000 personnel, maintains the world's second largest armed forces.
This includes a list of army operations, both old one as well as ongoing operations, as well as humanitarian military operations:
|Sr. No.||Name of Operation||Year||Location||Notes|
|1||During First Kashmir War||1947||Kashmir|
|2||Operation Polo||1948||Hyderabad||Indian armed forces ended the rule of the Nizam of Hyderabad and led to the incorporation of the princely state of Hyderabad in Southern India, into the Indian Union|
|3||Operation Vijay||1961||Goa, Daman & Diu||The operation by the Military of India that led to the capture of Goa, Daman and Diu and Anjidiv Islands from the Portuguese colonial holding in 1961|
|4||During Sino-Indian War||1962|
|5||During Second Kashmir War||1965|
|6||Operation Steeplechase||1971||Combined operation against Naxalites|
|7||During Bangladesh Liberation War||1971||Bangladesh||See also Battle of Longewala, Battle of Hilli, Battle of Basantar|
|8||Amalgamation of Sikkim||Sikkim||Indian Army disarmed and disbanded the Royal Guard of the Sikkimese King, after which Sikkim joined India as a State of India.|
|9||During Siachen conflict||1980||Kashmir|
|10||Operation Blue Star||1984||Punjab|
|12||Operation Meghdoot||1984||Indian military's capture of the majority of Siachen Glacier.|
|13||Operation Rajiv||1987||Indian military's capture of Quaid Post/Bana Top.|
|15||Operation Pawan||1987||Sri Lanka||Operations by the Indian Peace Keeping Force to take control of Jaffna from the LTTE in late 1987 to enforce the disarmament of the LTTE as a part of the Indo-Sri Lankan Accord|
|16||Operation Viraat||1988||Sri Lanka||It was an anti-insurgency operation launched by the IPKF against the LTTE in April 1988 in Northern Sri Lanka.|
|17||Operation Trishul||1988||Sri Lanka||Along with Operation Viraat, was an anti-insurgency operation launched by the IPKF against the LTTE in April 1988 in Northern Sri Lanka.|
|18||Operation Checkmate||1988||Sri Lanka||It was an anti-insurgency operation carried out by the IPKF against the LTTE in the Vadamarachi area of northern Sri Lanka in June 1988|
|19||Operation Cactus||1988||Paracommandos of Indian Army and MARCOS of Indian Navy oust Tamil nationalist mercenaries of PLOTE who instigated a coup in Malé in the Maldives.|
|20||Operation Vijay||1999||Indian operation to push back the infiltrators from the Kargil Sector, in the 1999 Kargil War.|
|22||Operation Sarp Vinash||2003||Jammu and Kashmir||An assault on the largest system of hideouts used by insurgents in Jammu and Kashmir in which over 60 terrorists were killed|
|23||Operation Black Tornado, Operation Cyclone||2008|
|24||Operation Surya Hope||2013||for saving people trapped in the 2013 North India floods|
|25||Operation All Out||2015||for flushing out militants from specially Kashmir region of Jammu and Kashmir state of India.|
|26||Operation Maitri||2015||India's Army-led rescue and relief mission in quake-hit Nepal|
|27||2015 Indian counter-insurgency operation in Myanmar||2015||A cross-border counter-insurgency raid in Myanmar.|
|28||2016 India–Pakistan military confrontation||2016||On 29 September 2016, Director General of Military Operations disclosed that Indian Para Commandos carried out a surgical strike 2–3 km inside Pakistan administered Kashmir crossing the Line of Control.|
|29||Operation Calm Down||2016||Jammu and Kashmir|
|Sr. No.||Name of Operation||Year||Location||Notes|
|1||Operation Goodwill||1998 - present||Jammu and Kashmir||humanitarian tasks in J&K|
|2||Operation Good Samaritan||humanitarian tasks in Manipur/Nagaland|
|3||Operation All Out Kashmir||2017|||
- Operation Vijay (1961) - Annexation of Goa
- Operation Trident (1971) - an offensive operation launched on Pakistan's port city of Karachi during the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
- Operation Python (1971) - Follow-up to Operation Trident on Karachi, Pakistan's port city in 1971.
- Operation Cactus (1988) - Against the coup to overthrow the Government of Maldives.
- During Operation Restore Hope (1992–2003) -
- Operation Parakram (2001)
- During Operation Enduring Freedom (2001)
- During 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake (Operation Madath, Operation Sea Waves, Operation Castor, Operation Rainbow, Operation Gambhir & Operation Rahat-II)
- Operation Sukoon (2006) - a relief operation to evacuate Indian, Sri Lankan and Nepalese nationals, as well as Lebanese nationals with Indian spouses, from the conflict zone during the 2006 Lebanon War
- Operation Search Light-The Search Operation Undertaken by Indian Navy to find the missing Boieng 777 M.H 17 Malaysian Flight
- Operation Raahat (2015) - Operation by the Indian Armed Forces to evacuate Indian citizens and other foreign nationals from Yemen during the 2015 military intervention by Saudi Arabia and its allies in that country during the Yemeni Crisis.
- Operation Nistar(India) (2018) - Operation by the Indian Navy using INS Sunayna to evacuate Indian citizens from Yemen Island of Socotra who were stranded by Cyclone Mekenu.
- During World War II (1939–1945) (Main article- India during World War 2)
- During First Kashmir War (1947)
- During Congo Crisis (1961)
- During Sino-Indian War (1962)
- During Second Kashmir War (1965)
- During Bangladesh Liberation War (1971)
- Meghna Heli Bridge (1971)
- Tangail Airdrop (1971)
- Operation Meghdoot (1984)
- Operation Poomalai (1987)
- Operation Cactus (1988)
- Operation Safed Sagar (1999)
- Atlantique incident (1999)
- Operation Rahat (2013) in Uttarakhand floods
- Operation Maitri (2015) Indian Military's rescue and relief mission in quake-hit Nepal
- Operation Sankat Mochan (2016) An operation of the Indian Air Force in view of 2016 Juba Clashes to evacuate Indian Citizens and other foreign nationals from South Sudan during the South Sudanese Civil War.
- Operation Insaniyat ( 2017) an Humanitarian assistance aimed to supply relief packages to Bangladesh for migrant Rohingya Muslims.
- Kumar, Devesh (2003-05-24). "Operation Sarp Vinash: Army clears Hill Kaka". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2018-07-15.
- "Operation 'Sarp Vinash': Over 60 terrorists killed". www.rediff.com. Retrieved 2018-07-15.
- "Pak Summons Indian High Commissioner Over Surgical Strikes". The Quint. September 29, 2016. Retrieved September 29, 2016.
- Sandhu, Kamaljit (2017-11-20). "Indian Army's 'Operation All Out' in Kashmir killed 190 terrorists, but there is reason to worry". DailyO.