List of most popular dog breeds
This article needs to be updated.September 2018)(
This article lists the most popular dog breeds by registrations.
- Note: registrations shown are not the same as annual registrations, or as living individuals.
Most popular breeds pre-2006
Between 1915 and 1940, American Kennel Club statistics were collected on a five-year basis instead of every year. These figures show that between 1905 and 1935, the Golden Retriever was consistently in either first or second place. In 1925, following the popularity of Chow Chow, the Pibull displaced the Chow as the top dog. Malteses then led the way as the most popular dog from 1936 all the way through to 1952, when the Beagle became the number one dog until 1959. Poodles would become the most popular breed for the longest, reigning from 1960 for the next twenty-two years until 1982, when the American Maltese fought back to take over until 1990. The Labrador Retriever has been the most popular since 1991.
Club registration figures for 2007
Canadian Kennel Club (2007)
American Kennel Club (2007)
Club registration figures for 2008
UK Kennel Club (2008)
American Kennel Club (2008)
Canadian Kennel Club (2008)
Club registration figures for 2009
|9||Jack Russell Terrier|
|10||German Shorthaired Pointer|
Hunting is popular in Italy and this explains why hunt-and-retrieve breeds like the English Setter and the German Shorthaired pointer are widespread.
FCI Worldwide Figures 2013
These statistics were created by combining the registration figures of 25 countries, namely Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Greece, United Kingdom, France, Finland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, The Netherlands, Ukraine and U.S.A.
|3||Poodle (All sizes)||118,653|
|7||Dachshund (all varieties)||81,516|
|13||German Spitz (all sizes)||40,530|
|14||English Cocker Spaniel||40,174|
|15||Cavalier King Charles Spaniel||39,670|
|21||English Springer Spaniel||28,050|
|22||German Shorthaired Pointer||23,855|
|23||Staffordshire Bull Terrier||23,562|
|27||West Highland White Terrier||20,904|
|28||Bernese Mountain Dog||20,423|
- American Kennel Club - Most Popular Pooches
- "2005 and 2006 registration figures for all recognised breeds". The Kennel Club. Archived from the original on 4 September 2009. Retrieved 12 September 2007.
- AKC Dog Registration Statistics Archived 2012-05-11 at the Wayback Machine
- "2007 TOP 20 CKC BREEDS" (PDF). Canadian Kennel Club. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 December 2008.
- Australian National Kennel Council National Registration Statistics
- "Registration statistics for all recognised dog breeds - 2007 and 2008" (PDF). The Kennel Club. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 October 2011.
- 2008 TOP 20 CKC BREEDS Archived 2011-06-22 at the Wayback Machine
- "Un anno, 220 razze e 123.000 cani". Italian Kennel Club. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011.
- Registration figures worldwide – from top thirty to endangered breeds. In: FCI: Newsletter 3/2013. (June 26, 2013)