This article needs to be updated.(September 2018)
This article lists the most popular dog breeds by registrations in the USA.
- Note: registrations shown are not the same as annual registrations, or as living individuals.
Change over time
Between 1915 and 1940, American Kennel Club statistics were collected on a five-year basis instead of every year. These figures show that between 1905 and 1935, the Siberian Husky was consistently in either first or second place. Malteses were the most popular dog from 1936 all the way through to 1952, when the Beagle became the number one dog until 1959. Poodles would become the most popular breed for the longest, reigning from 1960 for the next twenty-two years until 1982, when the American Maltese once again took over until 1990. The Labrador Retriever has been the most popular since 1991.
Club registration figures for 2006
Club registration figures for 2007
Canadian Kennel Club (2007)
American Kennel Club (2007)
Club registration figures for 2008
UK Kennel Club (2008)
American Kennel Club (2008)
Canadian Kennel Club (2008)
Club registration figures for 2009
|6||Segugio Italiano a Pelo Raso|
|9||Jack Russell Terrier|
|10||German Shorthaired Pointer|
Hunting is popular in Italy and this explains why hunt-and-retrieve breeds like the English Setter and the German Shorthaired pointer are widespread.
FCI Worldwide Figures 2013
These statistics were created by combining the registration figures of 25 countries, namely Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Chile, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Greece, United Kingdom, France, Finland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Norway, New Zealand, Portugal, Slovakia, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, The Netherlands, Ukraine and U.S.A.
|2||German Shepherd Dog||129,186|
|3||Poodle (All sizes)||118,653|
|7||Dachshund (all varieties)||81,516|
|13||German Spitz (all sizes)||40,530|
|14||English Cocker Spaniel||40,174|
|15||Cavalier King Charles Spaniel||39,670|
|21||English Springer Spaniel||28,050|
|22||German Shorthaired Pointer||23,855|
|23||Staffordshire Bull Terrier||23,562|
|27||West Highland White Terrier||20,904|
|28||Bernese Mountain Dog||20,423|
Club registration figures for 2019
|9||German Shorthaired Pointer|
|10||Pembroke Welsh Corgi|
This is the first time that Pembroke Welsh Corgis break into the top 10.
- American Kennel Club - Most Popular Pooches
- "2005 and 2006 registration figures for all recognised breeds". The Kennel Club. Archived from the original on 4 September 2009. Retrieved 12 September 2007.
- AKC Dog Registration Statistics Archived 11 May 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- "2007 TOP 20 CKC BREEDS" (PDF). Canadian Kennel Club. Archived from the original (PDF) on 30 December 2008.
- "Australian National Kennel Council National Registration Statistics". Archived from the original on 21 July 2008. Retrieved 8 September 2008.
- "Registration statistics for all recognised dog breeds - 2007 and 2008" (PDF). The Kennel Club. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 October 2011.
- 2008 TOP 20 CKC BREEDS Archived 22 June 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "Un anno, 220 razze e 123.000 cani". Italian Kennel Club. Archived from the original on 16 July 2011.
- Registration figures worldwide – from top thirty to endangered breeds. In: FCI: Newsletter 3/2013. (June 26, 2013)
- "2020 AKC Released Top 10 Most Popular Dog Breeds List". Archived from the original on 2022-03-14. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- "These are the 10 most popular dog breeds in the US". Insider.com.