List of multilateral free-trade agreements
This is a list of multilateral free-trade agreements, between several countries all treated equally. For agreements between two countries, between a bloc and a country, or between two blocs, see list of bilateral free-trade agreements; these are not listed below.
Every customs union, common market, economic union, customs and monetary union and economic and monetary union is also a free-trade area; these are listed on these separate articles and are not included below.
For a general explanation, see free-trade area.
World Trade Organization agreements
- General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade
- Agreement on Agriculture
- Agreement on the Application of Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures
- Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade
- Agreement on Trade Related Investment Measures
- Agreement on Anti-Dumping
- Agreement on Customs Valuation
- Agreement on Preshipment Inspection
- European Trade
- Agreement on Rules of Origin
- Agreement on Import Licensing Procedures
- Agreement on Subsidies and Countervailing Measures
- Agreement on Safeguards
- Arrangement regarding Bovine Meat
- International Dairy Agreement
- General Agreement on Trade in Services
- Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights
- Agreement on Government Procurement
- Information Technology Agreement
- Trade Facilitation Agreement
- Andean Community - 1969
- ASEAN Free Trade Area (AFTA) - 1992
- ASEAN–Australia–New Zealand Free Trade Area (AANZFTA) - 2010
- Asia-Pacific Trade Agreement (APTA) - 1975
- Central American Integration System (SICA) - 1993
- Central European Free Trade Agreement (CEFTA) - 1992
- Commonwealth of Independent States Free Trade Area (CISFTA) - 2011
- Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) - 1994
- G-3 Free Trade Agreement (G-3) - 1995
- Greater Arab Free Trade Area (GAFTA) -1997
- Dominican Republic–Central America Free Trade Agreement (DR-CAFTA) - 2004
- East African Community (EAC) - 2005
- Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU) - 2015
- European Economic Area (EEA; European Union–Norway–Iceland–Liechtenstein) - 1994
- European Union Customs Union (EUCU; European Union–Turkey–Monaco–San Marino–Andorra) - 1958
- European Free Trade Association (EFTA) - 1960
- Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) - 1981
- International Grains Agreement - 1995 Comprising a Grains Trade Convention (GTC) and a Food Aid Convention (FAC)
- North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) (Pending replacement by USMCA) - 1994
- Pacific Alliance Free Trade Area (PAFTA) - 2012
- South Asian Free Trade Area (SAFTA) - 2004
- Southern African Development Community Free Trade Area (SADCFTA) - 1980
- Southern Common Market (MERCOSUR) - 1991
- African Continental Free Trade Area - 2018
- Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership - 2018
- United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA) - Replacement to North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) - 2018
This section needs to be updated.(February 2015)
- African Free Trade Zone (AFTZ) between SADC, EAC and COMESA
- Arab Maghreb Union (UMA)
- Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC)
- Association of Caribbean States (ACS)
- Bay of Bengal Initiative for MultiSectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC)
- China–Japan–South Korea Free Trade Agreement
- Community of Sahel-Saharan States (CEN-SAD)
- Commonwealth Free Trade Area (CFTA)
- Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS)
- Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS)
- Economic Partnership Agreements (EU-ACP)
- Euro-Mediterranean free trade area (EU-MEFTA)
- Free Trade Area of the Americas (FTAA)
- Free Trade Area of the Asia Pacific (FTAAP)
- GUAM Organization for Democracy and Economic Development (GUAM)
- Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD)
- Pacific Agreement on Closer Economic Relations (PACER and PACER Plus)
- 2021 Pacific Island Countries Trade Agreement (PICTA)
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) (ASEAN plus 6)
- Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO)
- Transatlantic Free Trade Area (TAFTA)
- Tripartite Free Trade Area (T-FTA)
- Union of South American Nations (USAN)
Agreements no longer active
- Association of Iron Ore Exporting Countries [APEF] - 1974
- International Bauxite Association [IBA] - 1974
- International Tin Agreement - 1956
- Multi Fibre Arrangement - 1974-2005
Agreements signed but never in effect
- Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) - signed 2016, signature withdrawn by the United States in 2017 thus rendering the agreement unratifiable. The remaining eleven countries signed the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership in 2018.
For an interactive list of bilateral and multilateral free trade instruments see the TREND-Analytics website.
- "Arrangement regarding Bovine Meat" (PDF). www.wto.org. World Trade Organisation. Retrieved 29 April 2017.
- Guide to the agreement establishing the ASEAN-Australia-New Zealand Free Trade Area (AANZFTA)
- Last revision from 05/01/2007. |WT/REG233/N/1/Rev.1 Archived 27 March 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Greater Arab Free Trade Area (GAFTA); Revision 01/01/1998 WT/REG223/N/1 Archived 27 March 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Since 01/01/1994 WT/REG4/W/1 Archived 12 January 2012 at the Wayback Machine.
- Since 04/05/2011
- Since 12/07/1995 WT/COMTD/N/26 Archived 18 March 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Loes Witschge (20 Mar 2018). "African Continental Free Trade Area: What you need to know". Al Jazeera.
- Agreement adopted in 07/24/1993, but not yet implemented. WT/COMTD/N/21 Archived 27 March 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Free Trade Zone in GUAM Area
- Signed, but not yet implemented. After entry into force, countries commit to remove tariffs on most goods by 2021.
- ASEAN plus 6 agree to start RCEP talks
- Central Asian powers agree to pursue free-trade zone
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 9 March 2012. Retrieved 17 May 2011.
- "Agreement establishing the Association of Iron Ore Exporting Countries (APEF) ATS 37 of 1975 ". Australasian Legal Information Institute, Australian Treaties Library. Retrieved on 15 April 2017.
- "Agreement establishing the International Bauxite Association (IBA) ATS 38 of 1975 ". Australasian Legal Information Institute, Australian Treaties Library. Retrieved on 15 April 2017.
- bilaterals.org - "Everything that's not happening at the WTO"
- FTAs submitted to the WTO
- World Bank's PTA database to search and compare
- Americas FTAs
- EU FTAs
- EU-ACP countries Economic Partnership Agreements (EPA) Negotiations: Where do we stand?
- Singapore official FTA site[permanent dead link]
- EFTA official site
- Australia official FTA site
- Bilateral and Regional Trade Agreements Notified to the WTO: developed by WorldTradeLaw.net and Bryan Mercurio