List of municipalities in Rhode Island
This is a list of the 39 municipalities in Rhode Island. Eight of these municipalities were re-incorporated as cities, while the other 31 remain as towns. Note that towns in Rhode Island can adopt a city form of government without the need to re-incorporate as a city.
Some Rhode Island cities and towns also contain named localities known as villages that reflect historic settlements. Notable villages include Kingston, in the town of South Kingstown, which houses the University of Rhode Island, and Wickford, in North Kingstown, the site of an annual international art festival. Villages have no separate corporate existence from the town or city they are located in.
Rhode Island is one of only two states (with Hawaii) in which all of the incorporated municipalities have a population greater than 1,000 people.
|Name||Type||County||Date incorporated||Date re-inc as a city||Form of government||Population|
|Little Compton||Town||Newport||1747||—||Town meeting||3,492|
|New Shoreham (Block Island)||Town||Washington||1672||—||Council-manager||1,051|
|Newport||City||Newport||1639 (original town)||1784/1853||Council-manager||24,672|
|Portsmouth||Town||Newport||1638 (original town)||—||Council-manager||17,389|
|Providence||City||Providence||1636 (original town)||1832||Mayor-council||178,042|
|Warwick||City||Kent||1642 (original town)||1931||Mayor-council||82,672|
|West Greenwich||Town||Kent||1741||—||Town meeting||6,135|
Notes and references
- "State and Community Profiles". Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation. Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- Snow, Edwin M. (1865). Report Upon the Census of Rhode Island, 1865: With the Statistics of the Population, Agriculture, Fisheries and Manufactures of the State. University of Michigan. p. xxvii.
- Refers to date the town was formally annexed by Rhode Island from Massachusetts
- Clarence Saunders Brigham, Frank Greene Bates (1904). Report on the Archives of Rhode Island. G.P.O. p. 643.
- Charlestown, Richmond, and Hopkinton are often collectively referred to as Chariho, the name given to their regional school district in 1958.
- Town was organized in 1647
- Town of West Warwick
- Complete List of all 39 Towns and Cities in RI (ri.gov)
- State and Community Profiles from the Rhode Island Economic Development Corporation includes interactive map of town and city boundaries.