List of museums in Vermont
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Museums in Vermont.|
This list of museums in Vermont encompasses museums defined for this context as institutions (including nonprofit organizations, government entities, and private businesses) that collect and care for objects of cultural, artistic, scientific, or historical interest and make their collections or related exhibits available for public viewing. Museums that exist only in cyberspace (i.e., virtual museums) are not included.
For Wikipedia links to institutions similar to museums in Vermont, consult the "See also" section.
To use the sortable table, click on the icons at the top of each column to sort that column in alphabetical order; click again for reverse alphabetical order.
|Name||Town/City||County||Area of study||Summary/Website|
|Abenaki Indian Museum||East Calais||Washington||Native American||Rotating Abenaki museum that is displayed throughout the state, operated by the Ndakinna Cultural Center |
|Adam's Grist Mill Museum||Bellows Fall||Windham||Local history||Operated by the Bellows Falls Historical Society|
|American Museum of Fly Fishing||Manchester||Bennington||Sports||History of angling, including rods, reels, flies, tackle, art, photographs, manuscripts and books|
|American Precision Museum||Windsor||Windsor||Industry||Historically significant machine tools and techniques of precision manufacturing|
|Arnold Zlotoff Tool Museum||South Hero||Grand Isle||History||website, over 3000 tools for many trades, industries, and applications|
|Barnard Historical Society Museum||Barnard||Windsor||Local history||Located in the former village one-room school|
|Barre Museum||Barre||Washington||Local history||Part of the Aldrich Public Library|
|BCA Center||Burlington||Chittenden||Art||Operated by Burlington City Arts, contemporary art|
|Bennington Museum||Bennington||Bennington||Art||Decorative arts including Vermont-made furniture, Bennington pottery, glass, fine art by area artists, Grandma Moses paintings|
|Benson Museum||Benson||Rutland||Local history|||
|Ben's Mill||Barnet||Caledonia||Industry||Historic mill building with many past uses, includes woodworking shop and blacksmith forge|
|Bethel Historical Society Museum||Bethel||Windsor||Local history|||
|Bill Wilson House||East Dorset||Bennington||Biographical||Birthplace and living memorial of Alcoholics Anonymous co-founder Bill Wilson|
|Billings Farm and Museum||Woodstock||Windsor||Agriculture||working dairy farm, restored late 19th century period farmhouse, museum displays of cycle of rural life and work|
|Birds of Vermont Museum||Huntington||Chittenden||Natural history||Displays more than 475 biologically accurate woodcarvings of Vermont birds|
|Black River Academy Museum||Ludlow||Windsor||Local history|
|Bradford Historical Society||Bradford||Orange||Local history||Located in the Woods Academy Building|
|Braintree Hill Meeting House||Braintree||Orange||Local history||Operated by the Braintree Historical Society|
|Brandon Museum at the Stephen A. Douglas Birthplace||Brandon||Rutland||History||Story of local antislavery movement in contrast to politics of native son Stephen A. Douglas, Democratic Party nominee for president in 1860. Other local history.|
|Brattleboro History Center||Brattleboro||Windham||Local history||Operated by the Brattleboro Historical Society|
|Brattleboro Museum and Art Center||Brattleboro||Windham||Art||Features changing exhibits by regional and international artists, located in a former train station|
|Bread and Puppet Museum||Glover||Orleans||Puppets||Puppets and masks from the Bread and Puppet Theater|
|Brick Schoolhouse Museum||Georgia||Franklin||History||Local history, operated by the Georgia Historical Society, also operates the Gordon's Mill Agricultural Museum|
|Cavendish Historical Society Museum||Cavendish||Windsor||Local history||Located in the former town hall|
|Chaffee Art Center||Rutland||Rutland||Art||Includes exhibit gallery|
|Chester Historical Society Museum||Chester||Windsor||Local history|||
|Chimney Point State Historic Site||Addison||Addison||History||Historic tavern, exhibits on area Abenaki, French and American Colonial settlers|
|Corinth Academy Museum||Corinth||Orange||Local history||Operated by the Corinth Historical Society|
|Dorset Historical Society Museum||Dorset||Bennington||Local history||Area history, culture, marble industry, pottery, stencils|
|Dover History Center||Dover||Windham||Local history||Located in the 1820 Harris House and blacksmith shop, operated by the Dover Historical Society|
|Eaton Hall Museum||Pittsford||Rutland||Local history||Operated by the Pittsford Historical Society|
|ECHO, Leahy Center for Lake Champlain||Burlington||Chittenden||Multiple||Natural history, maritime history and ecology of Lake Champlain|
|Enosburgh Historical Society Museum||Enosburg Falls||Franklin||Local history||Operated by the Enosburgh Historical Society|
|Estey Organ Museum||Brattleboro||Windham||Organ Manufacturing||Preserving, displaying, and the work of the Estey Organ Co.|
|Ethan Allen Homestead Museum||Burlington||Chittenden||Historic house||Late 18th-century home Vermont's founder Ethan Allen|
|Eureka Schoolhouse||Springfield||Windsor||Education||Late 18th century one room schoolhouse|
|Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium||St. Johnsbury||Caledonia||Multiple||Natural history, regional history, ethnography, public planetarium |
|Fairfax Historical Society Museum||Fairfax||Franklin||Local history||Operated by the Fairfax Historical Society|
|Farrar-Mansur House||Weston||Windsor||Historic house||Mid 19th-century period house|
|First Congregational Church Museum||Berkshire||Franklin||Local history||Operated by the Berkshire Historical Society|
|Fleming Museum of Art||Burlington||Chittenden||Art, Anthropology||Part of the University of Vermont, art and artifacts from Ancient Egypt, Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Americas. 25,000 objects. Opened in 1931.|
|Franklin Historical Society Museum||Franklin||Franklin||Local history||Located in a late 19th-century log cabin|
|Garipay House||Hartford||Windsor||Historic house||Operated by the Hartford Historical Society|
|General Wait House||Waitsfield||Washington||Local history||Operated by the Waitsfield Historical Society|
|Goodrich Memorial Library||Newport||Orleans||Local history||Includes display cases and exhibits of local historical items, natural history displays and art|
|Goodwillie House Museum||Barnet||Caledonia||Local history||Operated by the Barnet Historical Society, open fall foliage weekends and by appointment|
|Gov. Jonas Galusha Homestead||Shaftsbury||Bennington||Local history||Operated by the Shaftsbury Historical Society, exhibits of local history in the 1783 house|
|Grafton Historical Society Museum||Grafton||Windham||Local history|||
|Green Mountain Perkins Academy||South Woodstock||Windsor||Education||19th-century private high school|
|Guilford Historical Society Museum||Guilford||Windham||Local history||Located in the old town hall|
|Halifax Historical Society Museum||Halifax||Windham||Local history|||
|Hartland Historic Society Museum||Hartland||Windsor||Local history|||
|Hartness-Porter Museum of Amateur Telescope Making||Springfield||Windsor||Science||Collection of amateur telescopes, located in the historic Governor James Hartness Mansion, open during selected hours during the weekend of the annual Stellafane Convention|
|Helen Day Art Center||Stowe||Lamoille||Art|||
|Henry Sheldon Museum of Vermont History||Middlebury||Addison||Local history||Includes the early 19th-century Judd-Harris House with collections of 19th and 20th century Vermont furniture, paintings, and household objects, and the Walter Cerf Gallery with changing exhibits of art and area history|
|Higley House Museum||Castleton||Rutland||Local history||Operated by the Castleton Historical Society|
|Hildene||Manchester||Bennington||Historic house||Early 20th century summer mansion of Robert Todd Lincoln|
|Historical Society of Wilmington Museum||Wilmington||Windham||Local history||Located in the Barber House|
|Hubbardton Battlefield||Hubbardton||Rutland||Military||Visitor center exhibits about the Battle of Hubbardton in the American Revolutionary War|
|Hughes Barn Museum||Thetford||Orange||Local history||Operated by the Thetford Historical Society, artifacts of farming, trades and rural life in the 19th century|
|Hyde Log Cabin||Grand Isle||Grand Isle||Historic house||Late 18th century period log house|
|Isle La Motte Historical Society||Isle La Motte||Franklin||Local history||Includes 1840 schoolhouse, 19th-century blacksmith shop and 19th-century log cabin|
|John Strong Mansion Museum||Addison||Addison||Historic house||Late 18th-century brick home, operated by the Vermont Daughters of the American Revolution|
|Justin Smith Morrill Homestead||Strafford||Orange||Historic house||19th century home of United States Senator Justin Smith Morrill|
|Lake Champlain Maritime Museum||Vergennes||Addison||Maritime||Includes shipwrecks, boats, maritime artifacts|
|Lincoln Historical Society||Lincoln||Addison||Local history||18th-century farmhouse and 19th-century barn museum|
|Londonderry Arts & Historical Society||Londonderry||Windham||Local history||Located in the 1814 Rev. E. H. Newton House|
|Madsonian Museum of Industril Design||Waitsfield||Washington||Design||website, design and manufactured objects|
|Main Street Museum||White River Junction||Windsor||Art||Eclectic display space for material culture and an experiment in a new taxonomy|
|Marlboro Historical Society Museum||Marlboro||Windham||Local history||Located in the Custer Sharp House|
|Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller National Historical Park||Woodstock||Windsor||Historic house|
|Marvin Newton House||Brookfield||Orange||Local history||Operated by the Brookfield Historical Society|
|Middlebury College Museum of Art||Middlebury||Addison||Art||Includes antiquities, Asian art, and American and European painting and sculpture from the Renaissance through the 19th century |
|Middletown Springs Historical Society Museum||Middletown Springs||Rutland||Local history||Located in the Adams House on the Green|
|Miller Art Center||Springfield||Windsor||Multiple||Operated by the Springfield Art & Historical Society, local history, fine art, decorative arts, photos, clothing, dolls, military artifacts|
|Montshire Museum of Science||Norwich||Windsor||Science||Includes exhibits on anatomy, math, astronomy, mechanics, and natural history, trails and live animals|
|Mount Holly Community Historical Museum||Mount Holly||Rutland||Local history||Located in the Adams House on the Green|
|Mount Independence State Historic Site||Orwell||Addison||Military||Museum and American Revolutionary War archaeological site|
|Museum of the Creative Process||Manchester||Bennington||Sculpture, Modern Art, Painting||Includes exhibits on religion, psychology, creativity, and politics|
|Museum of Everyday Life||Glover||Orleans||Art||website, eclectic collection of everyday objects|
|National Museum of the Morgan Horse||Middlebury||Addison||Natural history||Operated by the American Morgan Horse Association, history of the Morgan Horse|
|Nature Museum at Grafton||Grafton||Windham||Nature center|||
|New England Maple Museum||Rutland||Rutland||Food|||
|New England Transportation Institute and Museum||White River Junction||Windsor||Transportation||Area river, rail and air history|
|Norman Rockwell Exhibit||Arlington||Bennington||Art||Focuses on Norman Rockwell's art and years in Arlington from 1939-1953, framed magazine covers, ads, and illustrations|
|North Hero Historical Society Museum||North Hero||Franklin||Local history||Known as the "Hookenspoon", open seasonally on weekends|
|Northfield Historical Society Museum||Northfield||Washington||Local history|||
|Norwich Historic Society Museum||Norwich||Windsor||Local history|||
|Noyes House Museum||Morrisville||Lamoille||Historic house||Operated by the Morristown Historical Society, 19th-century life, includes furniture, textiles, military objects, clothing, photographs, pottery, folk and fine art, tools and objects of daily life|
|Old Constitution House||Windsor||Windsor||Historic house||18th century tavern, birthplace of the Vermont Republic and the Constitution of the State of Vermont|
|Old Mill Museum||Weston||Windsor||Mill||Early 20th-century period grinding mill|
|Old Stone House Museum||Brownington||Orleans||Open air||19th century life in northern Vermont, including furniture, textiles, photographs, pottery, folk and fine art, tools and utensils of daily life; includes six buildings on 55 acres in the Brownington Village Historic District, operated by the Orleans County Historical Society|
|Park-McCullough Historic House||North Bennington||Bennington||Historic house||Mid-19th-century mansion|
|Peacham Historical Association Museum||Peacham||Caledonia||Local history||Operated by the Peacham Historical Association|
|Poultney Historical Society||Poultney||Rutland||Local history||Includes an 1896 schoolhouse, Melodeon Factory and late 18th-century period Union Academy schoolhouse|
|President Calvin Coolidge State Historical Site||Plymouth||Windsor||Historic house||Early 20th century period family homestead of President Calvin Coolidge|
|President Chester A. Arthur State Historic Site||Fairfield||Franklin||Historic house||Reconstructed childhood home of President Chester A. Arthur|
|Randolph Historical Society Museum||Randolph||Orange||Local history||Located above the police station|
|Reading Historical Society Museum||Reading||Windsor||Local history|||
|Readsboro Historical Society Museum||Readsborol||Bennington||Local history|||
|Reverend Dan Foster House||Weathersfield||Windsor||Historic house||Operated by the Weathersfield Historical Society, 18th-century house with local historic items including Civil War memorabilia, a children's school room, tools, clothing and textiles|
|Richford Historical Society Museum||Richford||Franklin||Local history||Located in a 1908 firestation|
|Robert Frost Stone House Museum||Shaftsbury||Bennington||Historic house||Home of early 20th century poet Robert Frost|
|Rokeby Museum||Ferrisburgh||Addison||Historic house||18th-century house that served as a safe house along the Underground Railroad|
|Rupert Historical Society Museum||Rupert||Bennington||Local history|||
|Rutland Historical Society||Rutland||Rutland||Local history||Located in the 1860 Nickwackett Fire House|
|Saxtons River Historical Society Museum||Saxtons River||Windham||Local history|||
|Shelburne Farms||Shelburne||Chittenden||Multiple||National Historic Landmark, includes guided tours and seasonal art exhibits|
|Shelburne Museum||Shelburne||Chittenden||Multiple||Includes folk art, Americana, 1950s House, Impressionist and American paintings, quilts and textiles, decorative arts, furniture, 17th-to 20th-century artifacts, historic buildings, Ticonderoga (steamboat), decoys|
|Shores Memorial Museum||Lyndon||Caledonia||Local history||Operated by the Lyndon Historical Society|
|Shrewsbury Historical Society Museum||Cuttingsville||Rutland||Local history||website, open seasonally on Sunday afternoons|
|Southern Vermont Arts Center||Manchester||Bennington||Art||Includes the Elizabeth de C. Wilson Museum with 19th and 20th century works, including works by Luigi Lucioni, and a sculpture park|
|Southern Vermont Natural History Museum||Marlboro||Windham||Natural history||Includes animal mounts and live animals|
|St. Albans Museum||St. Albans||Franklin||Local history||Operated by the Saint Albans Historical Society|
|St. Johnsbury Athenaeum||St. Johnsbury||Caledonia||Art||Features American and European art|
|St. Johnsbury History & Heritage Center||St. Johnsbury||Caledonia||Local history|||
|Stowe Historical Society Museum||Stowe||Lamoille||Local history|||
|Sullivan Museum and History Center||Northfield||Washington||History||History of Norwich University|
|Swanton Railroad Depot Museum||Swanton||Franklin||Railroad||Operated by the Swanton Historical Society|
|T. W. Wood Gallery & Arts Center||Montpelier||Washington||Art||Features works of Thomas Waterman Wood and many of his artistic colleagues and contemporaries, and art from the state's Federal Art Project collection|
|Town House Museum||Sheffield||Caledonia||Local history||Operated by the Sheffield Historical Society|
|Vermont Heritage Galleries||Barre||Washington||History||Operated by the Vermont Historical Society, changing exhibits of state and local city history|
|Vermont History Museum||Montpelier||Washington||History||Operated by the Vermont Historical Society, state history from 1600 to the present|
|Vermont Marble Museum||Proctor||Rutland||Industry||Contributions of Vermont marble and the Vermont Marble Company|
|Vermont International Museum of Contemporary Art + Design||Eden||Lamoille||Art||Contemporary art and design |
|Vermont National Guard Library and Museum||Colchester||Chittenden||Military||History of the Vermont National Guard, both Army and Air Force, and the military heritage of the State of Vermont and its veterans|
|Vermont Scale Museum||Weston||Windsor||Commodity||Located in the Vermont Country Store, collection of scales and measures|
|Vermont Ski and Snowboard Museum||Stowe||Lamoille||Sports||Vermont's skiing and snowboarding history|
|Vernon Historians||Vernon||Windham||Local history||Located in a one-room schoolhouse|
|Waterbury Historical Society Museum||Waterbury||Washington||Local history||Located in the Waterbury Public Library|
|Westminster Historical Society Museum||Westminster||Windham||Local history||Located on the second floor of the town hall|
|Whitingham Historical Society Museum||Whitingham||Windham||Local history|||
|Williamstown Historical Society Museum||Williamstown||Orange||Local history||Open by appointment|
|Wilson Castle||Proctor||Rutland||Historic house||19th century estate|
|Windham County Historical Museum||Newfane||Windham||Local history||Operated by the Historical Society of Windham County|
|Winhall Museum||Winhall||Bennington||Local history|||
|Woodstock History Center||Woodstock||Windsor||Local history||Operated by the Woodstock Historical Society|
- Cornish Colony Museum, Windsor, closed about 2010
- National Museum of the Morgan Horse, Shelburne
- Precision Valley Corvette Museum, Springfield, formerly part of the Springfield Diner
- abenaki Archived 2008-05-11 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Ndakinna Abenaki Indian Museum, Cultural Center & Gift Shop". Vermont Travel. Archived from the original on 27 June 2013. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Windham County Historical Societies". Vermont Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Windsor County Historical Societies". Vermont Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Barre Museum". Aldrich Public Library. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Bennington Museum - Grandma Moses - Vermont art, history and innovation". www.benningtonmuseum.org.
- "Rutland County Historical Societies". Vermont Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Ben's Mill. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Museum". Bethel Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Billings Farm & Museum - Rural History Museum in Woodstock, Vermont". Billings Farm and Museum.
- "Orange County Historical Societies". Vermont Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Brandon Museum at the Stephen A Douglas Birthplace - Welcome to Brandon Vermont". brandon.org.
- "Brattleboro History Center". Brattleboro Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Franklin and Grand Isle Counties Historical Societies". Vermont Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Chester Historical Society". Town of Chester, VT. Archived from the original on 6 April 2015. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Museum". Dorset Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Historical Society". Dover, Vermont. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Pittsford Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Estey Organ Museum. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Ethan Allen Homestead Museum. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- Fairbanks Museum & Planetarium. Fairbanksmuseum.org. Retrieved on 2014-04-12.
- "Official site". Fairfax Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Museums". Weston, VT. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- webmaster:Ines.Berrizbeitia@uvm.edu. "Fleming Museum - Home". www.uvm.edu.
- "Official site". Hartford Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Waitsfield Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Historical Society". Barnet, VT. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Caledonia County Historical Societies". Vermont Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Grafton Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Green Mountain Perkins Academy and Historical Association. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Guilford HIstorical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Hartland Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- Inc., Bert Willard, Ken Slater for The Springfield Telescope Makers,. "Stellafane Museum Home Page". stellafane.org.
- "Home - Helen Day Art Center". www.helenday.com.
- "Official site". Henry Sheldon Museum of Vermont History. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Castleton Historical Society". Castleton, VT. Archived from the original on 1 February 2015. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Hughes Barn Museum". Thetford Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". John Strong Mansion Museum. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Lincoln Historical Society". Lincoln, Vermont. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Londonderry Arts & Historical Society". Londonderry, VT. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Marlboro Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Middlebury College Museum of Art". museum.middlebury.edu.
- "Official site". Middletown Springs Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Springfield Art & Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Mount Holly Community Historical Museum. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". American Morgan Horse Association. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Welcome". The Nature Museum.
- "NE Maple Museum". maplemuseum.com.
- "Official site". Norman Rockwell Exhibit. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". North Hero Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Northfield Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Norwich Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Noyes House Museum. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Peacham Historical Association. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Poultney Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Randolph Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Readsboro Historical Society". Town of Readsboro. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Weathersfield Historical Society". Weathersfield, VT. Archived from the original on 21 December 2014. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Richford Historical Society". Richford, Vermont. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Robert Frost Stone House Museum. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Bennington County Historical Societies". Vermont Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Rutland Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Lyndon Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Official site". Southern Vermont Arts Center. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". St. Albans Historical Society and Historical Museum. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". St. Johnsbury History & Heritage Center. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Stowe Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Sullivan Museum and History Center". Norwich University. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Swanton Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". T. W. Wood Gallery & Arts Center. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Vermont History Museum". Vermont Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Vermont Museum of Contemporary Art + Design".
- "Vermont National Guard Library and Museum". Vermont National Guard. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Waterbury Historical Society. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- "Official site". Westminster Historical Society. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Historical Society of Windham County. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Official site". Woodstock Historical Society. Archived from the original on 22 July 2006. Retrieved 14 January 2015.
- "Morgan horse museum leaving Shelburne". WCAX News. July 26, 2010. Retrieved 13 January 2015.