List of national ice hockey teams
This is a list of men's national ice hockey teams in the world. There are less than 100 national ice hockey teams than for any other sports, with teams representing all UN member states as well as several dependent territories, sub-national entities and states who are not members of the United Nations.
Current national ice hockey teams
This section lists the current:
- The International Ice Hockey Federation has 76 members (56 full members, 19 associate members and 1 affiliate member).
IIHF Full members
Teams have participated in the IIHF-sanctioned World Championships and matches between them are recognized as official international matches. Based on their match results over the previous four-year period, the IIHF World Ranking.
The current holders of the 2018 IIHF World Championship are marked by ♠.
The current participants for the 2018 IIHF World Championship Top Division are marked by ♣.
The current medalists of the 2018 Winter Olympics are marked by .
^ Note 1: Kuwait participated in both tournaments (WC Division III Q and Challenge Cup of Asia).
^ Note 2: The Russian Olympic Committee was disqualified by the International Olympic Committee for doping, but they were allowed to participate as the Olympic Athletes from Russia (OAR).
IIHF Associate members
Teams did not enter in any IIHF World Championships, but have limited participation in the IIHF World Championships.
IIHF Affiliate members
Teams have either not recognized by the IIHF or are not a member of the IIHF.
1. Asian teams have only participated in the IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia as of 2018.
2. Europe and North America have only participated in the 2016 World Cup of Hockey.
^ Note 3: Iran was disqualified from the 2017 Asian Winter Games due to a number of Iranian players were deemed ineligible in the regional games.
Former national ice hockey teams
These national teams no longer exist through the years.
- Basque Country
- CIS ( Unified Team)
- East Germany
- West Germany
- Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon
- Serbia and Montenegro
- Soviet Union
- Ice hockey by country
- List of ice hockey leagues
- List of members of the International Ice Hockey Federation
- Brown, Michael. "Biggest Global Sports". Retrieved 11 September 2015.
- "Members". IIHF.com. 2016-06-16.
- IIHF Inline Hockey World Championship
- Asia – IIHF.com
- Official Site of the 2016 World Cup of Hockey
- Pavitt, Michael (19 February 2017). "Iranian ice hockey team disqualified from Sapporo 2017 over ineligible players". Inside the Games. Retrieved 21 February 2017.