List of national parks of Denmark
The first national park in Denmark proper was Thy National Park (Danish: Nationalpark Thy), created in 2008. It is located in Thisted Municipality, Nordjylland. The park is a narrow stretch of land along the North Jutlandic Island's west coast from Hanstholm southward to Agger Tange, excluding Hanstholm, Klitmøller, Nørre Vorupør, Stenbjerg and Agger. Thy National Park is named after Thy, an area that includes not only today's national park but also adjacent land further east. The park has dunes, heath, forests and grassland and also covers several small lakes and a small part of the Limfjord, which is the fjord that separates the North Jutlandic Island from the Cimbrian Peninsula.
In August 2009, the second national park Mols Bjerge National Park was inaugurated, followed by Wadden Sea National Park in October 2010, and Land of the Scylding National Park in 2015. Two additional areas in mainland Denmark were proposed in 2008 and 2009 to become national parks, but one of these plans was abandoned in 2012. The other, Kongernes Nordsjælland National Park, was inaugurated in 2018.
Greenland has had its own national park since 1974. The Northeast Greenland National Park stretches across three fifths of the northern parts of Greenland's east coast and, since its expansion in 1988, two thirds of the eastern parts of Greenland's north coast. Bounded by the coasts, the park covers the island's entire north-eastern quarter, all of which is almost uninhabited.
|Image||Name||Danish name||Region||Area in km²||Establishment||External link|
|Northeast Greenland National Park||Grønlands Nationalpark||Northeast Greenland||972,000||1974||—|
|Thy National Park||Nationalpark Thy||Nordjylland||243.7||2008||SNS|
|Mols Bjerge National Park
|Nationalpark Mols Bjerge||Midtjylland||180||2009||SNS|
|Wadden Sea National Park||Nationalpark Vadehavet||Southern Denmark||1,466||2010||SNS|
|Land of the Scylding National Park
(Land of the Scylding)
|Nationalpark Skjoldungernes Land||Zealand||170||2015||SNS (Danish)|
|Kongernes Nordsjælland National Park||Nationalpark Kongernes Nordsjælland||Hovedstaden||262.5||2018||SNS (Danish)|
|Skjern Å National Park (Skjern River)||Nationalpark Skjern Å||Midtjylland||248.7||(never established and project abandoned 2012)||SNS (Danish)|
- http://www.mim.dk/Nyheder/Pressemeddelelser/20101016_Indvielse_af_Nationalpark_Vadehavet.htm[permanent dead link]
- Om Nationalpark Skjoldungernes Land
- "Kongernes Nordsjælland". Danmarks Nationalparker. 24 March 2018. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- map of Greenland's protected areas Archived 2005-10-04 at the Wayback Machine.
- Avisen.dk (15 December 2017). Nationalpark Kongernes Nordsjælland bliver nu til virkelighed.
- Kristeligt Dagblad (23 March 2012). Nationalpark Skjern Å er opgivet.
- Danish Forest and Nature Agency's website on the national parks of mainland Denmark
- Avatangiisinut Pinngortitamullu Aqutsisoqarfik (Greenlandic) = Miljø- og Naturstyrelsen (Danish).
Operates under Greenland Home Rule's new ministry for domestic affairs (Greenlandic · Danish)
- Faroese Ministry of the Interior (Faroese)