List of neighborhoods and districts in Baghdad
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The order is not alphabetical, but is instead arranged according to whether the neighborhood is east or west of the Tigris and then grouped roughly by north-south order. Place names may be affected by differences in translation of Arabic to English. If sourced information on the location was not available, the neighborhood is grouped in the unknown section in alphabetical order. According to a report published by the New York times on June 3, 2007, there are 457 distinct neighborhoods in Baghdad.
West of the Tigris
- Kadhimiya District
- Karkh District
- Mansour district
- Al Rashid District
- Hayy Al-A'amel (Amel or Amil): Just east of Jihad and west of Bayya’ along Baghdad Airport Road.
- Al-Baya' (Baiyaa): East of Amil along Baghdad Airport Road.
- Al-Jihad: Just east of Furat and west of Amil along Baghdad Airport Road,
- Al-Shurtta (al-Shurta): A "middle- to working-class pocket in the dusty far west of Baghdad"
- Muwasalat and Shurta Al-Khamsa neighborhood, just south of Bayya’
- Furat: Just east of Baghdad International Airport along Baghdad Airport Road
East of the Tigris
- Adhamiyah District
- Sadr City
- Rusafa District
- New Baghdad (Baghdad Al-Jadida) or 9 Nissan District
- Zayouna: Mixed neighborhood.
- Karrada (Karradah) District
- Khalis, northeast of Baghdad
- Palestine Street, Aqari district,
- Triangle of Death (Iraq)
- Mashada, 25 miles north of Baghdad
- Risafi—in northwestern Baghdad
- Taji, Iraq (Arabic: تاجي) is an area approximately 20 miles north of Baghdad, and the site of a large U.S.-controlled military base.
- Kamaliya—in southeastern Baghdad
- Al-Salam, also called Tobchi—in south Al-Hurriya
- [dead link]
- Kukis, Mark (2006-10-25). "Ethnic Cleansing in a Baghdad Neighborhood?". TIME. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- Kukis, Mark (2006-11-25). "Inside an Iraqi Battleground Neighborhood". TIME. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Future on shaky ground - SpecialsWarOnIraq". Smh.com.au. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "`Fear took over'". Latimes.com. 2006-12-04. Retrieved 2016-06-20.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on July 13, 2011. Retrieved May 13, 2007.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on June 19, 2008. Retrieved May 14, 2007.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 23, 2006. Retrieved May 13, 2007.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved May 14, 2007.
- [dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on May 20, 2007. Retrieved May 14, 2007.
- [dead link]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved May 15, 2007.
- "Former Adversaries Join to Revive Neighborhood". Articles.latimes.com. 2003-04-15. Retrieved 2016-06-20.