List of newspapers in Tennessee
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Daily and nondaily newspapers
|Title||Locale||Year est.||Year ceased||Notes|
|Brownlow's Whig||Knoxville||1849||1871||Began in 1839 in Elizabethton|
|Chattanooga Evening News||Chattanooga||1888||Became Chattanooga News-Free Press in 1940, Chattanooga Free Press in 1993, and Chattanooga Times Free Press in 1999|
|Knoxville Negro World||Knoxville|
|Memphis Daily Scimitar||Memphis||1881||Became News Scimitar in 1907, Memphis Press-Scimitar in 1926|
|Memphis Free Speech||Memphis||1888|
- Tennessee media
- Tennessee literature
- Fake news websites in the United States
- "Members". Knoxville: Tennessee Press Association. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- "Southern Press". The South in the Building of the Nation. 7. Richmond, VA: Southern Historical Publication Society. 1909. pp. 402–436.
Date of establishment of leading Southern newspapers
- Federal Writers' Project 1939.
- Gannett Co., Inc., Our Brands: Tennessee, McLean, Virginia, retrieved March 27, 2017
- GateHouse Media, LLC, Our Markets: Tennessee, Pittsford, New York, retrieved March 27, 2017
- "US Newspaper Directory: Tennessee". Chronicling America. Washington DC: Library of Congress. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- "Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture". Tennessee Historical Society and University of Tennessee Press. Retrieved March 21, 2017.
- Irvine Garland Penn (1891). The Afro-American Press and Its Editors. Massachusetts: Willey and Co.
- "Department of Journalism". University of Memphis. Retrieved March 22, 2017.
- S. N. D. North; United States Department of the Interior (1884). "Catalogue of Periodical Publications: Tennessee". History and Present Condition of the Newspaper and Periodical Press of the United States. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office. OCLC 1850475. (+ List of titles 50+ years old)
- "Press of East Tennessee". East Tennessee: Historical and Biographical. Chattanooga: A.D. Smith & Co. 1893. pp. 157–172.
- James T. Haley, ed. (1895), "Newspapers: Tennessee", Afro-American Encyclopaedia, Nashville: Haley & Florida, OCLC 219597043
- "Tennessee". American Newspaper Directory. New York: George P. Rowell. 1900. pp. 985+ – via HathiTrust.
- "Tennessee". American Newspaper Annual & Directory. Philadelphia: N. W. Ayer & Son. 1922. pp. 935+.
- Federal Writers' Project (1939). "Writers of Tennessee". Tennessee: A Guide to the State. American Guide Series. New York: Viking Press. pp. 145–154. OCLC 2479491.
- Thomas D. Clark (1948). Southern Country Editor. Bobbs-Merrill. OCLC 525858. (Includes information about weekly rural newspapers in Tennessee)
- G. Thomas Tanselle (1971). "General Studies: Tennessee". Guide to the Study of United States Imprints. Harvard University Press. p. 881. ISBN 978-0-674-36761-6. (Includes information about newspapers)
- Jack Mooney, ed., A History of Tennessee Newspapers (1996)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Newspapers of Tennessee.|
- Glenn A. Himebaugh. "Publishing". Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture. (Includes information about newspapers)
- "News: Newspapers: Regional: United States: Tennessee". DMOZ. AOL. (Directory ceased in 2017)
- 19th Century Newspapers Database, Nashville: Tennessee Secretary of State. (Digitized issues)
- Newspapers on Microfilm at the Tennessee State Library and Archives, Nashville: Tennessee Secretary of State. (Searchable by locale)
- Bibliography of Tennessee Bibliographies: Newspapers, Nashville: Tennessee Secretary of State
- "Tennessee". CJR's Guide to Online News Startups. New York: Columbia Journalism Review.
- "Historical Newspapers: Tennessee Newspapers". Research Guides. University of Memphis Libraries.
- "Tennessee Newspapers". Historical U.S. Newspapers Online. Library Guides. Ohio: Bowling Green State University.
Newspapers that are freely available on the Internet
- "Southeast". Historical African American Newspapers Available Online. Subject Guides. Poughkeepsie, NY: Marist College Library. (Includes Tennessee newspapers)
- International Coalition on Newspapers. "Newspaper Digitization Projects: United States: Tennessee". Chicago: Center for Research Libraries.
- University of Florida. "Tennessee". NewspaperCat: Catalog of Digital Historical Newspapers. Gainesville.
- "Tennessee". N-Net: the Newspaper Network on the World Wide Web. Archived from the original on February 15, 1997.
- "Tennessee Newspapers". AJR News Link. American Journalism Review. Archived from the original on November 16, 1999.
- "United States: Tennessee". NewsDirectory.com. Toronto: Tucows Inc. Archived from the original on November 18, 2001.