List of newspapers in Virginia
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a list of newspapers in Virginia.
Daily, weekly and other newspapers (currently published)
- The Brackety-Ack — student newspaper of Roanoke College
- The Breeze — student newspaper of James Madison University
- The Broadside — student newspaper of George Mason University
- The Bullet — student newspaper of the University of Mary Washington
- The Cadet — student newspaper of Virginia Military Institute
- The Captain's Log — student newspaper of Christopher Newport University
- The Cavalier Daily — student newspaper of the University of Virginia
- The Collegian — student newspaper of the University of Richmond
- Collegiate Times — student newspaper of Virginia Tech
- The Commonwealth Times — student newspaper of Virginia Commonwealth University
- The Critograph — student newspaper of Lynchburg College
- The 'Doah — student newspaper of Shenandoah University
- The Flat Hat — student newspaper of the College of William & Mary
- The Hampden-Sydney Tiger — student newspaper of Hampden-Sydney College
- The Hampton Script — student newspaper of Hampton University
- The Highland Cavalier — student newspaper of the University of Virginia's College at Wise
- Hollins Columns — student newspaper of Hollins University
- The Iron Blade — student newspaper of Ferrum College
- The Liberty Champion — student newspaper of Liberty University
- The Mace & Crown — student newspaper of Old Dominion University
- The Marlin Chronicle — student newspaper of Virginia Wesleyan College
- Ring-tum Phi — student newspaper of the Washington and Lee University
- The Rotunda — student newspaper of Longwood University
- Spartan Echo — student newspaper of Norfolk State University
- The Tartan — student newspaper of Radford University
- Virginia Law Weekly — student newspaper of the University of Virginia School of Law
- The Yellow Jacket — student newspaper of Randolph-Macon College
||It has been suggested that List of newspapers in Virginia in the 18th century be merged into this article. (Discuss) Proposed since March 2017.|
|Title||Locale||Year est.||Year ceased||Notes|
|Alexandria Gazette||Alexandria||1834||1974||Began as Columbian Mirror and Alexandria Gazette in 1792|
|Broadside||former student newspaper of George Mason University|
|Ledger-Star||Norfolk||1876||1995||Began as Public Ledger, became Ledger-Star in 1962|
|News & Messenger||Manassas|
|Northern Virginia Sun||Arlington||1998|
|Port Folio Weekly||Norfolk||1983|
|Richmond News Leader||Richmond||1888||1992|
|Richmond Whig||Richmond||1824||Began as Constitutional Whig in 1824|
|Roanoke Weekly Press||Roanoke||1891||1892||"Roanoke City's first black newspaper"|
|Shenandoah Herald||Woodstock||1817||Began as Woodstock Herald in 1817|
|Virginian||Lynchburg||1809||Began as Lynchburg Press in 1809|
- List of newspapers in Virginia in the 18th century
- Virginia media
- Media in Richmond, Virginia
- Category:Journalists from Virginia
- Virginia Commonwealth University Robertson School of Media and Culture (est. 1978), in Richmond
- Virginia literature
- Berkshire Hathaway Inc., "Daily Newspapers: Virginia", 2016 Annual Report (PDF), Omaha, Nebraska
- "Member Directory". Glen Allen, VA: Virginia Press Association. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- Tronc, Inc., 2016 Annual Report, Chicago, Illinois
- "Lexington Gazette". Chronicling America. US Newspaper Directory. Washington DC: Library of Congress. Retrieved March 19, 2017.
- Gannett Co., Inc., Our Brands: Virginia, McLean, Virginia, retrieved March 27, 2017
- Ogden Newspapers Inc., Locations: Virginia, Wheeling, West Virginia, retrieved March 27, 2017
- GateHouse Media, LLC, Our Markets: Virginia, Pittsford, New York, retrieved March 27, 2017
- "Southern Press". The South in the Building of the Nation. 7. Richmond, VA: Southern Historical Publication Society. 1909. pp. 402–436.
Date of establishment of leading Southern newspapers
- "U.S. Daily Newspapers, 2012". World Almanac and Book of Facts 2014. USA: World Almanac Books. ISSN 0084-1382. via Google Books
- "US Newspaper Directory". Chronicling America. Washington DC: Library of Congress. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- North 1884.
- Rand Dotson. "Roanoke Weekly Press". Encyclopedia Virginia. Virginia Foundation for the Humanities. Retrieved March 18, 2017.
- "Staunton Spectator". Chronicling America. US Newspaper Directory. Washington DC: Library of Congress. Retrieved March 19, 2017.
- Richard T. Robertson School of Media and Culture. "About". Virginia Commonwealth University. Retrieved March 23, 2017.
- S. N. D. North; United States Department of the Interior (1884). "Catalogue of Periodical Publications: Virginia". History and Present Condition of the Newspaper and Periodical Press of the United States. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office. OCLC 1850475. (+ List of titles 50+ years old)
- James T. Haley, ed. (1895), "Newspapers: Virginia", Afro-American Encyclopaedia, Nashville: Haley & Florida, OCLC 219597043
- "Virginia". American Newspaper Directory. New York: George P. Rowell. 1900. pp. 1058+ – via HathiTrust.
- "Virginia Newspapers in Public Libraries: Annotated List of Virginia Newspapers". Virginia Magazine of History and Biography.
- "Virginia". American Newspaper Annual & Directory. Philadelphia: N. W. Ayer & Son. 1922. pp. 1009+.
- Lester J. Cappon. Virginia Newspapers, 1821–1935: A Bibliography with Historical Introduction and Notes. New York: Appleton-Century Co., 1936.
- Federal Writers' Project (1941), "Newspapers", Virginia: a Guide to the Old Dominion, American Guide Series, Oxford University Press, pp. 130–137, ISBN 9780403021956 – via Google Books
- Harrison A. Trexler. "The Davis Administration and the Richmond Press, 1861–1865," Journal of Southern History, 16 (May 1950), 177–195.
- Ted Tunnell. "A 'Patriotic Press': Virginia's Confederate Newspapers, 1861–1865," in William C. Davis and James I. Robertson Jr., eds., Virginia at War: 1864. Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 2009, 35–50.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Newspapers of Virginia.|
- "Virginia Newspapers". Virginia Memory. Library of Virginia.
- Bibliography of American Newspapers cataloged and inventoried by the Virginia Newspaper Project (Database searchable by locale)
- "Virginia Newspapers". Historical U.S. Newspapers Online. Library Guides. Ohio: Bowling Green State University.
Newspapers that are freely available on the Internet
- "Southeast". Historical African American Newspapers Available Online. Subject Guides. Poughkeepsie, NY: Marist College Library. (Includes Virginia newspapers)
- Ted Tunnell, "Confederate Newspapers in Virginia during the Civil War", Encyclopedia Virginia, Virginia Foundation for the Humanities
- David Rawson, "Printing in Colonial Virginia", Encyclopedia Virginia, Virginia Foundation for the Humanities
- International Coalition on Newspapers. "Newspaper Digitization Projects: United States: Virginia". Chicago: Center for Research Libraries.
- University of Florida. "Virginia". NewspaperCat: Catalog of Digital Historical Newspapers. Gainesville.