List of nocturnal birds
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- North Island brown kiwi, Apteryx mantelli
- Barn owl, Tyto alba
- Short-eared owl, Asio flammeus
- Long-eared owl, Asio otus
- Great horned owl, Bubo virginianus
- Barred owl, Strix varia
- Spotted owl, Strix occidentalis
- Eastern screech-owl, Megascops asio
- Western screech-owl, Megascops kennicottii
- Whiskered screech-owl, Megascops trichopsis
- Flammulated owl, Psiloscops flammeolus
- Elf owl, Micrathene whitneyi
- Great gray owl, Strix nebulosa
- Northern saw-whet owl, Aegolius acadicus
- Boreal owl, Aegolius funereus
- Burrowing owl, Athene cunicularia
- Kakapo, Strigops Habroptila
- Crepuscular, a classification of animals that are active primarily during twilight, making them similar to nocturnal animals.
- Diurnality, plant or animal behavior characterized by activity during the day and sleeping at night.
- Cathemeral, a classification of organisms with sporadic and random intervals of activity during the day or night.
- Matutinal, a classification of organisms that are only or primarily active in the pre-dawn hours or early morning.
- Vespertine (biology), a classification of organisms that are only or primarily active in the evening.
- Circadian rhythm
- List of nocturnal animals
- Dunn, J. L. & Alderfer, J. (2006)