List of non-binary writers
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Travis Alabanza, an English performance artist, poet, writer, and LGBTQ rights activist
- K Alexander, a Canadian actor, writer, web series creator and YouTube personality
- Thomas Baty (1869–1954), an English lawyer and writer of a utopian science fiction novel set in a postgender society, as well as the editor of the feminist gender studies journal Urania
- Jay Bernard, a black British poet, multi media writer and film maker, shortlisted in the Costa Book Awards 2019
- Tess Berry-Hart, British playwright, author and activist 
- Mal Blum, an American songwriter, musician, writer and performer
- Justin Vivian Bond, an American singer-songwriter, author, painter, performance artist, and actor
- Lydia Brown, an Asian American autistic disability rights activist, writer, and public speaker
- Kate Bornstein, an American author, playwright, performance artist, and gender theorist
- Beth Brant, a Mohawk writer, essayist, and poet
- Z Brewer, American young adult writer, author of The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod.
- River Butcher, an American stand-up comic, actor, writer, producer, and podcast host
- Alec Butler, a Canadian playwright and filmmaker
- Judith Butler, an American philosopher, gender theorist and feminist writer
- Claude Cahun, a Jewish-French photographer, sculptor and writer
- Marjorie Celona, an American-Canadian writer
- Chrystos, a Menominee writer and two-spirit activist
- Ivan Coyote, a Canadian spoken word performer, writer, and LGBT advocate
- Harry Dodge, an American sculptor, performer, video artist, and writer
- Jude Ellison Sady Doyle, an American feminist author
- Cyrus Grace Dunham, an American writer and activist
- Waawaate Fobister, a Canadian playwright and actor
- Tyler Ford, writer and public speaker
- L. Frank, a Tongva-Acjachemen artist, writer, tribal scholar, cartoonist, and indigenous language activist
- Sarah Gailey, an American author of speculative fiction
- Andrea Gibson, an American poet and activist
- Liv Hewson, an Australian actor and playwright
- Johanna Hedva, author of Sick Woman Theory and On Hell
- Carole LaFavor an Ojibwe novelist, activist and nurse
- Richard LaFortune, a two spirit activist, author, community organizer, and artist
- R. B. Lemberg, a bigender, queer author, poet, and editor of speculative fiction
- Elisha Lim, an artist and graphic novelist
- Cheena Marie Lo, a poet working in Oakland, California
- Sarah (Sleam) Leamy, a British agender author, cartoonist, and editor.
- Gopi Shankar Madurai, Indian equal rights, Indigenous rights activist and author
- Keith Maillard, a Canadian-American novelist and poet 
- Jul Maroh, a French comic book writer
- Jeffrey Marsh, an American writer, actor, artist, activist, author, and social media personality
- Dan Taulapapa McMullin, an American Samoan artist, known for his poetry, visual art and film
- Jack Monroe, a British food writer and journalist
- Foz Meadows, an Australian fantasy novelist, blogger and poet.
- Richard O'Brien, a British-New Zealand actor, television presenter, musician, writer, voice artist and theatre performer
- Pidgeon Pagonis, an intersex American activist, writer, artist, and consultant
- Chanda Prescod-Weinstein, a cosmologist, science writer and equality activist
- Marieke Lucas Rijneveld is a Dutch writer and poet.
- Joey Soloway, an American television creator, showrunner, director and writer
- Rivers Solomon, an American author
- Rae Spoon, a Canadian musician and writer
- Noelle Stevenson, an American cartoonist and animation producer
- John Elizabeth Stintzi, Canadian novelist and poet
- Rebecca Sugar, American animator, director, screenwriter, producer, and songwriter
- Mattilda Bernstein Sycamore, an American author and activist
- Jacob Tobia, an American LGBTQ rights activist, feminist writer, and co-producer and host for the MSNBC television series Queer 2.0
- Bogi Takács, Agender trans Jewish writer and poet
- Gigi Raven Wilbur, an American bisexual rights activist and writer
- Joshua Whitehead, a Canadian First Nations poet and novelist
- Nao-Cola Yamazaki, Japanese novelist and essayist
- Neon Yang, Singaporean writer of English-language speculative fiction
- Karekin Yarian, an author and social activist from San Francisco
- Xiran Jay Zhao, Chinese-Canadian author and Internet personality
- Nevo Zisin, a non-binary Australian writer and transgender rights activist
- Minamore, Bridget (March 27, 2019). "'Damn, I'm good at this!' Is Travis Alabanza the future of theatre?" – via www.theguardian.com.
- "This explanation of the non-binary experience is the most important thing you'll hear today". indy100. December 29, 2018.
- Whitaker, Sebastian (March 31, 2017). "5 Trans YouTubers You Need To Watch This Transgender Visibility Day".
- Moran, Maeve (2019-10-16). "Unheard Voices: Eva Gore-Booth". Palatinate Online. Retrieved 2020-06-30.
- Bernard, Jay. "Surge". www.penguin.co.uk.
- Keller, Jessica (26 October 2016). "Hanging Out With Mal Blum". Her Campus.
- Yang, Linda (March 20, 2017). "Trans Artist Justin Vivian Bond Envisions a World Without Binaries".
- Bornstein, Kate (June 19, 2019). "Kate Bornstein: My Gender? Oh, It's Nothing". The New York Times.
- SignorileColumnist, Michelangelo (May 5, 2012). "Iconic Transgender Writer Discusses Life In And Exit From The Church Of Scientology". HuffPost.
- Kushner, Helayne (September 21, 2018). "Rhea Butcher Opens Up About Their Personal Journey, Softball, and Queer Loneliness". GO Magazine.
- "Playwright on growing up intersex: 'At 12 I started growing a beard and had a period'". Daily Life.
- "Alec Butler's "Rough Paradise" – Living Life Shamelessly". January 18, 2017.
- Thulin, Lesley (19 April 2012). "Feminist theorist Judith Butler rethinks kinship". Columbia Spectator. Archived from the original on September 25, 2015. Retrieved 9 October 2013.
- Cahun, Claude (2008). Disavowals : or cancelled confessions. The MIT Press. ISBN 9780262533034. OCLC 922878515.
- Inc, Indigo Books & Music. "How A Woman Becomes A Lake". indigo.ca.
- "Ivan Coyote on diversity, representation, and re-writing queer narratives". Topics.
- Feigel, Lara (27 March 2016). "The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson review – a radical approach to genre and gender". The Observer.
- https://twitter.com/sadydoyle/status/1302311246356717571[bare URL]
- "9 prominent feminists on what Hillary Clinton's historic candidacy really means". www.vox.com. 28 July 2016.
- https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2016/8/22/12370784/hillary-clinton-woman president-feminists-conflicted
- "Grace Dunham Lifts The Lid On Being Non-Binary In A Privileged World". Konbini - All Pop Everything! (in French).
- Arifa Akbar (4 March 2019). "Why I backed a gender-fluid writer for a women's fiction prize". The Guardian.
- "Agokwe - within the man there is woman". Xtra. 26 January 2011.
- ""I Like to Exist as a Person": What It Means to Live Beyond Gender". FRONTLINE.
- ""Two Spirits, One Heart, Five Genders" | Talking Feather".
- "Interview With Sarah Gailey". Kirkus Reviews. 26 June 2019.
- "The Pioneering Poet". Interview Magazine. 22 April 2015.
- "'Santa Clarita Diet's Liv Hewson has never played a non-binary character—so they're writing one". A Beautiful Perspective. 3 May 2018.
- "Sick Woman Theory: An Interview". Monstering.
- "Joe Rogan podcast". YouTube. May 2019.
- "[Creator Spotlight] Art as Discovery, Art as Hope: Yuhki Kamatani, x-gender and asexual mangaka – ANIME FEMINIST". Well well well. 17 May 2018.
- Yates, Maggie (6 November 2018). "'Transformer': Interview with Transgender Weightlifter Janae Marie". The Santa Barbara Independent.
- "Along the journey". University of Minnesota Press.
- "Native GLBT Media document launched". Native OUT. 2005-09-16. Retrieved 2017-04-21.
- "Rose Lemberg – Uncanny Magazine". Uncanny Magazine. Retrieved 2018-06-30.
- Camper, Cathy (12 May 2014). "'100 Crushes' by Elisha Lim. Review". Lambda Literary Review. Los Angeles, California. Retrieved 22 July 2019.
with Kit Wilson Yang, Lim explores what it means to find a pronoun more meaningful to oneself, and shares the transition they both went through, from “she” to the more self-accurate “they.”
- "Cheena Marie Lo". the poetry project. New York, New York. Retrieved 22 July 2019.
- "Two Flash Essays by Sarah Leamy". The Los Angeles Review. 2020-10-02. Retrieved 2021-01-25.
- Menon, Priya (22 April 2016). "3rd gender gets a new champion in Tamil Nadu poll ring". Times of India.
- "Keith Maillard prizes a multiplicity of approaches to literary craft as a writer and teacher". September 13, 2018.
- "Non-Binary Sensation Jeffrey Marsh Wants You to Love You | TheBody". www.thebody.com.
- Dan Taulapapa McMullin. Peter Britos (ed.) "Artist Note". Oceania in the Age of Global Media Special issue of Spectator p. 113. USC Cinema, Spring 2003. Accessed online Oct 13 2016 at http://cinema.usc.edu/assets/059/11479.pdf
- "Please don't call me A Girl Called Jack. I have something to tell you. – COOKING ON A BOOTSTRAP". 1 March 2016. Archived from the original on 1 March 2016.
- "SFF in Conversation - Foz Meadows and Coral Bones: Being Genderqueer |". The Book Smugglers. 8 February 2016.
- "Richard O'Brien: 'Society should not dictate gender' - PinkNews.co.uk". 27 February 2012. Archived from the original on 27 February 2012.
- "Interview: Intersex Activist and Artist Pidgeon Pagonis". The Queer AV. October 26, 2016. Retrieved January 8, 2017.
- Pitney, Nico (2015-06-24). "Meet The 63rd Black Woman In American History With A Physics Ph.D." HuffPost UK. Retrieved 2018-02-06.
- Haldeman, Peter (October 24, 2018). "The Coming of Age of Transgender Literature". The New York Times.
- "Elisha Lim and Rae Spoon: Talking Shop". No More Potlucks, January 2012.
- Ryan Porter, "Debut author John Elizabeth Stintzi talks poetry, gender identity, and their love of the unconventional". Quill & Quire, April 2020.
- Pulliam-Moore, Charles (16 July 2018). "Steven Universe's Rebecca Sugar Comes Out as Gender Nonbinary". io9. Retrieved 17 July 2018.
- "A 'Queer' Argument Against Marriage". NPR.org. Retrieved 2018-12-02.
- Tobia, Jacob (November 16, 2015). "I'm Genderqueer — Please Stop Asking Me When I'm 'Really' Going To Transition". MTV. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- "Bogi Takács – Uncanny Magazine". Uncanny Magazine. Retrieved 2019-07-22.
- Norman Wilner, "Joanne Vannicola wants to push Canadian film beyond gender binaries". Now, June 18, 2019.
- Viloria, Hida (September 27, 2011). "Dispelling The Myths: My Experience Growing Up Intersex and Au Naturel". Bodies Like Ours.
- Scott-Dixon, Krista (2006). Trans/forming Feminisms: Trans/feminist Voices Speak Out. Canadian Scholars' Press. pp. 65–71. ISBN 9781894549615.
- "Why Joshua Whitehead wants to recentre Indigenous characters with his cyberpunk-infused poetry". CBC Books, November 1, 2017.
- Nao-Cola Yamazaki [@naocolayamazaki] (August 18, 2020). 私は性別非公表なので、性別が類推される主語は避けたい。 [I'm gender-nonconforming, so I'd prefer not to be described using gendered pronouns.] (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "ABOUT THE WRITER". GENTLE PLASMIDS. JY Yang. 12 January 2017. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- Yarian, Karekin (October 11, 2017). "Welcome to me". PunkMonk San Francisco. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Morris, Linda (April 25, 2017). "Nevo Zisin: 'I look in the mirror and see I'm neither male or female'". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved May 31, 2017.