List of office suites
In computing, an office suite is a collection of productivity software usually containing a word processor, spreadsheet and a presentation program. There are many different brands and types of office suites. Popular office suites include Microsoft Office, G Suite, Apache OpenOffice, and LibreOffice.
- 1 Multi-platform office suites
- 2 Office suites for Microsoft Windows only
- 3 Office suites for DOS
- 4 Office suites for macOS only
- 5 Office suites for Unix/Unix-like operating systems only
- 6 Mobile and tablet office suites
- 7 Online office suites
- 8 Discontinued office suites
- 9 References
Multi-platform office suites
Free and open source suites
- Apache OpenOffice (descended from OpenOffice.org)
- Calligra Suite – the continuation of KOffice under a new name
- LibreOffice – independent fork of OpenOffice.org with a number of enhancements
- ONLYOFFICE Desktop Editors – an open source offline edition of the Cloud
- G Suite – has applications like Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- MobiSystems OfficeSuite – available for Windows, Android and iOS
- SoftMaker Office – The current edition is available for a fee; a slightly feature-limited version is distributed for free under the name "FreeOffice". Available for Windows, Linux and Mac(2018)
- Hancom Office Suite & ThinkFree Office - Available for Windows and Mac.
- WPS Office (formerly known as Kingsoft Office) – includes writer, spreadsheet, presentations; available as a paid Professional edition, with a less capable freeware version as another option (for Windows, Mac, Android and Linux only)
- Yozo Office (formerly EIOffice (Evermore Integrated Office)) – a Polish / English / Japanese / French language integrated office suite. Available for Windows / Linux operating systems using Java
Office suites for Microsoft Windows only
- Ability Office
- Breadbox Office – DOS software, but has been successfully tested with Windows 3.x, Windows 95/98/98 SE/ME, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000 and the 32-bit versions of Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Framework – historical but also still supported for Windows by the present developer, Selection & Functions Inc.
- Gobe Productive – Originally written for BeOS by developers of the original ClarisWorks, GoBe Productive is a lightweight integrated Works-like office suite with a generous "Hassle-Free License."
- Ichitaro JUST Suite 2008 – a full Japanese-language suite from JustSystems, the most direct competitor to Microsoft Office in Japan. For Windows only.
- Microsoft Office – Note that while Microsoft makes both a Windows and Mac version of Office, the Windows only version is named just Microsoft Office and has a slightly different feature set than the Mac version, which is named "Microsoft Office for Mac". While both are part of the MS Office family, they are separate programs, as the Mac version is not simply a port of the Windows version. (see Office suites for Mac OS X only section below).
- OmegaOffice HD from SSuite Office – created for full HD and large widescreen displays including 4K and 8K monitors. Runs on all Windows systems.
- WordPerfect Office
Office suites for DOS
- Breadbox Office – a word processor, spreadsheet, address book and drawing program. It is part of a broader software package called Breadbox Ensemble which also includes programs such as email, web-browser and HTML editor. Breadbox Ensemble runs under the GEOS (16-bit operating system) and effectively requires a version of DOS to be installed on the host system.
- Corel WordPerfect for DOS – a word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation software from Corel (containing WordPerfect 6.2, Quattro Pro 5.6, Presentations 2.1, and Shell 4.0c)
Office suites for macOS only
Open source suites
- NeoOffice – a Mac-specific open-source software development project dedicated to integrating LibreOffice with native features of macOS, in addition to an aesthetic and design language suited to said operating system. While the source code is available for free, developers charge for the binary version of this application.
- iWork – Apple Inc.'s Mac-only office suite. Includes Pages for word-processing, Numbers for spreadsheets, and Keynote for presentations. iWork replaces the now-discontinued AppleWorks suite.
- MarinerPak – MarinerPak includes Mariner Write, a fully featured word processor, and Mariner Calc, a fully featured Spreadsheet application.
- Microsoft Office for Mac – Microsoft's office suite for macOS. Since Microsoft Office for Mac 2011, the suite requires an Intel-based Mac. Prior editions ran on both PowerPC systems and Intel based systems using Rosetta.
Office suites for Unix/Unix-like operating systems only
Free software suites
- AUIS – an office suite developed by Carnegie Mellon University and named after Andrew Carnegie
- Siag Office – a free office suite for Unix systems. Primarily written by programmer Ulric Erikkson, with contributions from other authors. Includes a word processor, a spreadsheet, and an animation program.
Mobile and tablet office suites
Open source suites
- LibreOffice for Android – currently under development led by The Document Foundation, Smoose, B.V., and Collabora
- AndrOpen Office – a non-official port of Apache OpenOffice for Android
- MobiSystems OfficeSuite (Android, iOS and Windows)
- Microsoft Office Mobile (Android, iOS and Windows Mobile/Phone)
- Documents To Go (Android and others)
- Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides
- iWork (iOS)
- WPS Office, previously known as Kingsoft Office (Microsoft Windows, Linux, Android and iOS)
- Picsel Smart Office
- Polaris Office
- QuickOffice, QuickOffice HD Pro (Android, iOS and others)
- SoftMaker Office
- ThinkFree Office Mobile (Android)
Online office suites
- Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides – an AJAX-based online office suite from Google. The suite includes a word processor, a spreadsheet program, and a presentation editor. Available free and as an enterprise service.
- ONLYOFFICE Personal – online office suite; combines text, spreadsheet and presentation editors
- Office Online – online office suite from Microsoft which is based on OneDrive. It includes a word processor, a spreadsheet, a presentation application and a notetaking program. Allow users to create, edit, save and share documents.
- Zoho Office Suite – free online office suite from Zoho Corporation. Includes a word processor, spreadsheet, presentations, and collaboration groupware.
- iWork for iCloud – a free-to-use but somewhat feature-limited online version of Apple's iWorks office suite, accessible using both Mac and PC web browsers. It is currently still in beta.[when?]
Open source suites
- Feng Office (formerly OpenGoo) – open source, fully featured online office suite. The application can be downloaded and installed on a server.
- LibreOffice Online – currently under development led by The Document Foundation, Collabora and IceWarp with a projected initial release in the beginning of 2016.
- ONLYOFFICE Community Server – open source online office suite that can be downloaded and deployed on a server
- Tiki Wiki CMS Groupware – full-featured web application, which includes a spreadsheet and webmail
- ONLYOFFICE – online office suite integrated with document and project management toolset and CRM system. It includes a word processor, spreadsheet and presentation program written in HTML5 using Canvas.
- ShareOffice – Web-based office suite from ShareMethods. This suite utilizes separate word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications from other vendors. It is distributed through Salesforce.com's AppExchange program.
- Simdesk – online office suite from Simdesk Technologies, Inc. This suite offers partial compatibility with the Microsoft Office file formats (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint). With a monthly subscription to Simdesk Services (costing $3.50 – $20 per month), one is allowed to install the application anywhere. (no longer available)
- ThinkFree Office – office suite written in Java, from ThinkFree, Inc. It includes a word processor (Write), a spreadsheet (Calc), and a presentation program (Show). For Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X.
Discontinued office suites
- AppleWorks (previously known as "ClarisWorks") – an early Mac Office suite. It has morphed and branched into AppleWorks and GoBe Productive. When the original developers split up, ClarisWorks continued as AppleWorks after being bought by Apple, and GoBeProductive was redeveloped from the ground up using ideas from the original. Apple discontinued this suite after the release of iWork '08 in August 2007.
- IBM Lotus SmartSuite – for OS/2, Windows 9x, NT, 2000 and XP.
- IBM Lotus Symphony – freeware; based on OpenOffice.org
- IBM Works – an office suite for the IBM OS/2 operating system. It included word processing, spreadsheet, database and PIM applications.
- Jambo OpenOffice, an abandoned project to translate the OpenOffice.org project into Swahili.
- Lotus Jazz – Mac sister product to Lotus Symphony
- Lotus Symphony – Following the popularity of office suites made by competitors, the makers of the wildly popular Lotus 123, tried their hand at a suite for DOS. (Name resurrected by IBM in September 2007 as IBM Lotus Symphony)
- Microsoft Works – discontinued in 2009 and replaced by Microsoft Office 2010 Starter Edition. 4.0 is the last version for Mac.
- Open Access – integrated software by Software Products International (SPI)
- Q&A – featured a flat file database whose "intelligent assistant" could answer natural language questions, and integrated word processor
- StarOffice – discontinued except as part of paid Solaris licenses; continued as open source suite OpenOffice.org, which subsequent versions of StarOffice were based on
- "OfficeSuite". www.officesuitenow.com. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- "OmegaOffice HD+". ssuitesoft.com. 13 October 2015.
- "NeoOffice FAQ". Neooffice.org. Retrieved 2017-01-10.
- "Installing Office for Mac 2011 error "This software requires an Intel-based Macintosh computer."". Microsoft Support. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- MacTech Editorial Staff. "Office 2004 Benchmarks on Intel-based Macs". MacTech. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- "LibreOffice Viewer Beta for Android Is Now Available for Download". Softpedia. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- Sam Tuke (April 21, 2015). "LibreOffice for Android: Prototype Editor Preview". Collabora LTD. Retrieved April 21, 2015.
- "MobiSystems' OfficeSuite makes the jump to Windows PC". Windows Central. Retrieved 2018-05-04.
- Simon Phipps. "4 keys to success for LibreOffice as a service". InfoWorld, Inc. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- Sam Tuke (March 25, 2015). "LibreOffice Online Questions Answered: What, Who, How, and When". Collabora, LTD. Retrieved April 13, 2015.
- Evans, Jonny (2007-08-15). "Apple cans AppleWorks". Macworld UK. Retrieved 2007-08-15.
- "New Ways to Try and Buy Microsoft Office 2010 | Microsoft Office 2010 Engineering". Microsoft TechNet. Retrieved 16 January 2016.