List of offshore wind farms in the United States
Offshore wind power is in the early stages of development in the United States. In 2016, the first offshore wind farm started operation at Block Island Wind Farm off the coast of Rhode Island. Other projects are under development in wind-rich areas of the East Coast, Great Lakes, and Pacific coast. In January 2012, a "Smart for the Start" regulatory approach was introduced, designed to expedite the siting process while incorporating strong environmental protections. Specifically, the Department of Interior approved “wind energy areas” off the coast where projects can move through the regulatory approval process more quickly. The NOAA Coastal Services Center (CSC) has released a cadastre web tool to illustrate suitability of Eastern seaboard areas.
Bureau of Ocean Energy Management
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management is a federal agency responsible for determining offshore areas where wind farms may be built on the Outer Continental Shelf. It sells leases to qualified bidders.
- Fisherman's Energy Atlantic City Windfarm (New Jersey) Groundbreaking for the onshore portion of the project took place in December 2014.
Proposed and approved
- Fisherman's Energy Atlantic City Windfarm (New Jersey) 
- Principal Power Windfarm-floating wind turbine (Oregon)
- VOWTAP (Virginia)
Other proposed projects
- Bay State Wind (Massachusetts), 1.6 GW
- Cape Wind (Massachusetts) 430 MW
- Deepwater One South Fork (New York)
- US Wind (Maryland), ~750 MW 
Abandoned, postponed or decommissioned
- Atlantic Wind Connection
- Deepwater Wind
- Wind power in the United States
- List of wind farms
- List of offshore wind farms
- Lists of offshore wind farms by country
- Wind Power
- Energy Policy Act of 2005
- Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound
- Kit Kennedy (2 February 2012). "Offshore Wind One Step Closer to Reality in the Mid-Atlantic". Renewable Energy World.
- Offshore Wind Development - Site Suitability Prototype National Ocean Service. Accessed: 4 February 2011. Archived June 12, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- "State Activities". boem.gov. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "VolturnUS 1:8 Launched: Maine Brings U.S. Offshore Wind Dream to Reality". Offshore Wind. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- Danko, Pete. "First US Floating Wind Turbine Launches In Maine". EarthTechling. Retrieved 2013-12-02.
- "Renewable energy: Wind power tests the waters". Nature News & Comment. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "America's First Floating Wind Turbine". climate.org. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Atlantic City Windfarm - Fishermen's Energy - The Future of Energy in New Jersey". fishermensenergy.com. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Wind power or hot air? Foes question Christie's shift on clean energy.". Washington Post. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "New Jersey wind power project begins construction". elp.com. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- Veselina Petrova. "Fishermen's Energy breaks ground on 25-MW offshore wind farm - SeeNews Renewables". seenews.com. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Seattle firm wins $47 million grant for Oregon offshore wind farm". The Seattle Times. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- Elizabeth Harball,ClimateWire. "Floating Wind Turbines Coming to Oregon Coast". scientificamerican.com. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Principle Power - News and Press - Press Releases". principlepowerinc.com. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- Damian Carrington. "Drifting off the coast of Portugal, the frontrunner in the global race for floating windfarms". the Guardian. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Dominion Awarded $47 Million by DOE for Offshore Wind Turbine Demonstration Project". mediaroom.com. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- "Massachusetts passes bill easing path for 1.6GW of offshore wind". Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Wald, Matthew L. "Selling Cape Wind’s Future Wares" New York Times. May 7, 2010; retrieved 13 Dec 2010.
- "Agreement Reached On Del. Wind Farm," Washington Post. June 24, 2008; retrieved 13 Dec 2010.
- Nathans, Aaron. "Two years after Bluewater, offshore wind takes baby steps" Delaware Online, November 30, 2013. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- Nathans, Aaron. "Maryland takes step closer to offshore wind turbines" Delaware Online, August 20, 2014. Retrieved 24 January 2015.
- "UMaine's Offshore Wind Energy Pilot Project Wins Initial Ok," Bangor Daily News. Jan 14, 2014; retrieved 23 May 2014.
- "Offshore wind turbine launched in Castine - Photo - Penobscot Bay Press". Castine Patriot. Retrieved 20 May 2015.
- 'Only a matter of time': U.S. offshore wind struggles to get off the ground
- Draft Environmental Impact Statement - produced by the US Army Corps of Engineers
- Opinion piece on wind turbines shifting
- Cape Wind Project Page - company website
- Clean Power Now - a pro-project advocacy group
- Alliance to Protect Nantucket Sound - anti-project advocacy group