List of omics topics in biology
Inspired by the terms genome and genomics, other words to describe complete biological datasets, mostly sets of biomolecules originating from one organism, have been coined with the suffix -ome and -omics. Some of these terms are related to each other in a hierarchical fashion. For example, the genome contains the ORFeome, which gives rise to the transcriptome, which is translated to the proteome. Other terms are overlapping and refer to the structure and/or function of a subset of proteins (e.g. glycome, kinome).
List of topics
|-ome||Field of study
|Collection of||Parent subject||Notes|
|Allergenome||Allergenomics||Proteomics of allergens|
|Bibliome||Bibliomics||Scientific bibliographic data|
|Trialome||Medicine||Human interventional trials data from clinical trial registries extended with trial results and links to resulting publications|
|Connectome||Connectomics||Structural and functional brain connectivity at different spatiotemporal scales||Neuroscience|
|Cytome||Cytomics||Cellular systems of an organism||Cytology|
|Editome||RNA editing sites|
|Embryome||Embryomics||Cell lineages of embryonic cells, genes expressed and antigens present during development||Embryology|
|Envirome||Enviromics||Gene related environment factors (envirome)|
|Epigenome||Epigenomics||Epigenetic modifications||Molecular genetics||Epigenomics is the study of the complete set of epigenetic modifications on the genetic material of a cell, collectively known as the epigenome|
|Exposome (2005)||Exposomics||An individual's environmental exposures, including in the prenatal environment||Molecular genetics||A proposed term and field of study of the disease-causing effects of environmental factors (the "nurture" component of "nature vs. nurture").|
|Exposome (2009)||Composite occupational exposures and occupational health problems||Occupational safety and health||The proposers of this term were aware of the previous term as used above but proposed to apply the term to a new field.|
|Exome||Exomics||Exons in a genome||Molecular Genetics|
|Foodome||Foodomics||Food and Nutrition issues related to bioactivity, quality, safety and traceability of foods through the application and integration of advanced omics technologies to improve consumer’s well-being, health, and confidence.||Nutrition||The term was first defined in 2009 |
|Genetics||"Genome" refers to the set of all genes in an organism. However, "genome" was coined decades before it was discovered that most DNA is "non-coding" and not part of a gene; thus, "genome" originally referred to the entire collection of DNA within an organism. Today, both definitions are used, depending on the context.|
|Hologenome||Hologenomics||Genomes of community members (i.e., holobionts)||Metagenomics|
|Interferome||Interferomics||Interferons||Immunology||Also a database of the same name.|
|Interactome||Interactomics||All interactions||The term "interactomics" is generally not used. Instead, interactomes are considered the study of systems biology.|
|Ionome||Ionomics||Inorganic biomolecules||Molecular Biology|
|Kinome||Kinomics||Kinases||Molecular Biology||Proteins that add a phosphate group|
|Mechanome||Mechanomics||The mechanical systems within an organism|
|Metabolome||Metabolomics||Metabolites||All products of a biological reaction (including intermediates)|
|Metagenome||Metagenomics||Genetic material found in an environmental sample||Molecular Biology||The genetic material is assumed to contain DNA from multiple organisms and therefore multiple genomes, hence the inclusion of the prefix meta-.|
|Metallome||Metallomics||Metals and metalloids|
|Microbiome||microbiomics||Collection of microorganisms in another organism such as an animal||Microbiology|
|Obesidome||Obesidomics||Obesity related proteins||Proteomics||Coined by Pardo et al., 2012.|
|ORFeome||ORFeomics||Open reading frames (ORFs)||Molecular Genetics|
|Organome||Organomics||Organ interactions||Cellular Signalling / Cell Signaling and Tissue Engineering||The study of crosstalk between organs using physiologically relevant in-vitro models|
|Pharmacogenetics||Pharmacogenetics||SNPs and their effect on pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics||Pharmacogenomics
|Pharmacogenome||Pharmacogenomics||The effect of changes on the genome on pharmacology||Pharmacogenetics
|Physiome||Physiomics||Physiology of an organism|
|Phytochemome||Phytochemomics||Phytochemicals||The term has been coined by del Castillo et al., 2013, Food Research International, . Phytochemomics is a comprehensive concept aimed to increase the knowledge of phytochemicals' bioactivity which is of growing importance in agricultural, food, medicine and cosmetic sciences|
|Regulome||Regulomics||Transcription factors and other molecules involved in the regulation of gene expression||Molecular Biology|
|Researchsome||Research areas covered by an individual researcher or institution||Research||Coined by Ivan Erill at the 2011 EBM meeting |
|Secretome||Secretomics||Secreted proteins||Proteomics||Subset of the proteome consisting of proteins actively exported from cells.|
|Speechome||Speecheomics||Influences on language acquisition||Coined by the Human Speechome Project|
|Synthetome||A set of artificial genes in an organism|||
|Transcriptome||Transcriptomics||All RNA molecules including mRNA, rRNA, tRNA and other ncRNAs||Molecular Biology|
|Toponome||Toponomics||Cell and tissue structure||Molecular Biology|
|Volatilome||Volatilomics||complete collection of volatile metabolites||Biomarkers|
Hierarchy of topics
For the sake of clarity, some topics are listed more than once.
- Yagami T, Haishima Y, Tsuchiya T, Tomitaka-Yagami A, Kano H, Matsunaga K.; Haishima; Tsuchiya; Tomitaka-Yagami; Kano; Matsunaga (2004). "Proteomic analysis of putative latex allergens". Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 135 (1): 3–11. doi:10.1159/000080036. PMID 15286439.
- Wild CP (2005). "Complementing the genome with an "exposome": the outstanding challenge of environmental exposure measurement in molecular epidemiology". Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 14 (8): 1847–50. doi:10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-05-0456. PMID 16103423.
- Faisandier, Laurie; De Gaudemaris, Régis; Bicout, Dominique J. (2009). "Occupational Health Problem Network : the Exposome". arXiv: [stat.ME].
- Faisandier, Laurie; Bonneterre, Vincent; De Gaudemaris, Régis; Bicout, Dominique J. (2009). "A network-based approach for surveillance of occupational health exposures". arXiv: [stat.ME].
- Cifuentes, A. (2009). "Food analysis and Foodomics". Journal of Chromatography A. 1216 (43): 7109–7109. doi:10.1016/j.chroma.2009.09.018.
- "genome, n.". Oxford English Dictionary. March 2008.[dead link]
-  Archived December 2, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Main Page - Interactomics Archived July 6, 2008, at the Wayback Machine.
- Subramaniam S, Fahy E, Gupta S, Sud M, Byrnes RW, Cotter D, Dinasarapu AR, Maurya MR (2011). Chemical Reviews. 111 (10): 6452–6490. doi:10.1021/cr200295k. PMC . PMID 21939287 http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/cr200295k. Missing or empty
- (2011) "15th EBM PROGRAM" Evolutionary Biology Meeting at Marseilles'.' Retrieved December 14, 2011.
- Dov Greenbaum; Nicholas M. Luscombe; Ronald Jansen; et al. (2001). "Interrelating Different Types of Genomic Data, from Proteome to Secretome: 'Oming in on Function" (PDF). Genome Research. 11 (9): 1463–1468. doi:10.1101/gr.207401. PMID 11544189.
- BBC article on the Speechome Project
- Carlson, Scott M.; Gozani, Or (2014-10-09). "Emerging technologies to map the protein methylome". Journal of Molecular Biology. 426 (20): 3350–3362. doi:10.1016/j.jmb.2014.04.024. ISSN 1089-8638. PMC . PMID 24805349.
- Huser, V.; Cimino, J. J. (2012). "Precision and Negative Predictive Value of Links between ClinicalTrials.gov and PubMed". AMIA Annual Symposium Proceedings. 2012: 400–408. PMC . PMID 23304310.
- Bouhifd, Mounir; Andersen, Melvin E.; Baghdikian, Christina; Boekelheide, Kim; Crofton, Kevin M.; Fornace, Albert J.; Kleensang, Andre; Li, Henghong; Livi, Carolina (2015-01-01). "The human toxome project". ALTEX. 32 (2): 112–124. doi:10.14573/altex.1502091. ISSN 1868-596X. PMC . PMID 25742299.
- DeFelipe, Javier (2010-11-26). "From the Connectome to the Synaptome: An Epic Love Story". Science. 330 (6008): 1198–1201. doi:10.1126/science.1193378. ISSN 0036-8075. PMID 21109663.
- Dimitrov, DS (May–Jun 2010). "Therapeutic antibodies, vaccines and antibodyomes". MAbs. 2 (3): 347–56. doi:10.4161/mabs.2.3.11779. PMC . PMID 20400863.