List of online dictionaries
An online dictionary is a dictionary that is accessible via the Internet through a web browser. They can be made available in a number of ways: free, free with a paid subscription for extended or more professional content, or a paid-only service. Some online dictionaries are organized as lists of words, similar to a glossary, while others offer search features, reverse lookups, and additional language tools and content such as verb conjugations, grammar references, and discussion forums.
Selected online English dictionaries
The following is a concise list of online English dictionaries whose definitions are based upon well-established content.
- American Heritage Dictionary American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Ed.
- Collins Online Dictionary Collins Unabridged English Dictionary; Collins Unabridged Thesaurus; Collins Webster's American English Dictionary
- Dictionary.com Dictionary.com Unabridged, based on the Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary
- Merriam-Webster Online Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
- Oxford Dictionaries Online Oxford Dictionary of English; New Oxford American Dictionary; Oxford Thesaurus of English; Oxford American Writer's Thesaurus
Advanced learner's dictionaries
- Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary
- Cambridge Dictionaries Online Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary
- Longman Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
- Macmillan Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners
- Linguee free multilingual dictionary and contextual sentences. English, German, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian, Dutch, Italian, Venda and among other languages.
- LEO (website) free multilingual collaborative dictionary for German
- Madura English-Sinhala Dictionary free English to Sinhala and vice versa online dictionary.
- Multitran multilingual online dictionary centered on Russian, and provides an opportunity of adding your own translation
- Ultralingua free and premium multilingual dictionary
- Webster's Online Dictionary: The Rosetta Edition: a multilingual online dictionary which compiles different online dictionaries and encyclopedia including Wiktionary and Wikipedia.
- Wiktionary collaborative project run by the Wikimedia Foundation
- WWWJDIC Japanese–English
- Reverso multilingual collaborative dictionary and contextual translations
- Free On-line Dictionary of Computing
- Logos Dictionary free online with additional premium content
- Online Etymology Dictionary
- Pseudodictionary dictionary of user submitted made-up words (humour)
- Urban Dictionary dictionary of slang
- WordNet word database
- Wordweb free and premium online English thesaurus and dictionary for Windows
Other specific languages
- Academic Dictionary of Lithuanian
- Dictionary of the Scots Language
- Duden German dictionary
- Ekşi Sözlük Turkish collaborative dictionary
- e-mahashabdkosh bi-lingual and bi-directional Hindi/English dictionaries
- Geiriadur Prifysgol Cymru an online dictionary of the Welsh language
- Plattmakers Low Saxon online dictionary
- Plena Ilustrita Vortaro de Esperanto Esperanto dictionary
- Reta Vortaro Esperanto dictionary
- Susning.nu free Swedish online dictionary, opened 2001, now defunct
- Svenska Akademiens ordbok Swedish dictionary
- Van Dale dictionary of the Dutch language
- William Whitaker's Words Latin dictionary
- Woordenboek der Nederlandsche Taal dictionary of the Dutch language (free registration required)
- Yeminlisozluk Turkish translators' dictionary