List of open-source hardware projects
This list of open-source hardware projects includes computer systems and components, cameras, radio, telephony, science education, machines and tools, robotics, renewable energy, home automation, medical and biotech, automotive, prototyping, test equipment, and musical instruments.
- 1 Communications
- 2 Electronics
- 3 Environmental
- 4 Machines and production tools
- 5 Science
- 6 Repositories
- 7 See also
- 8 References
- 9 External links
- Monome 40h – A reconfigurable grid of 64 backlit buttons, used via USB. A limited batch of 500 monome 40h has been produced. All the design process, design specifications, firmware and PCB schematics are available online.
- Neuros Digital Audio Computer – An open-source portable digital audio player.
- MIDIbox The MIDIbox project is an open-source modular DIY hardware and software platform for MIDI devices like controllers, synthesizers, sequencers
- Openmoko – open phone framework (first use case: FIC Neo FreeRunner, released as of mid-2008)
- OpenBTS and OsmoBTS – Open-source software based GSM base stations.
- GTA04 – successor of Openmoko
- Project Ara – Modular Design, Hot Plug-able mobile phone due to enter trial production in 2015.
- Milkymist One – a video synthesizer for interactive and dance-directed VJing.
- Neuros OSD an open-source digital video recorder
- NetFPGA is a project consisting hardware platform, software, community and education material to enable research and education effort in a line-rate network environment.
- Openpicus – Open-source platform for smart sensors and Internet of things
- Sun SPOT is an open-source hardware and software platform for sensor networks and battery powered, wireless, embedded development.
- USRP universal software radio peripheral is a mainboard with snap in modules providing software defined radio at different frequencies, it has a USB 2.0 link to its host computer.
- PowWow Power Optimized Hardware and Software FrameWork for Wireless Motes is an open-source hardware and software platform for wireless sensor networks.
- Twibright RONJA – Open-source free-space optic system, DIY in a garage / Maker, 10 Mbit/s full duplex/1.4 km
- SatNOGS – Free software / open hardware project of a global low earth orbit global satellite ground station, including for data and Internet.
- Arduino, open-source microcontroller board
- Netduino, open-source microcontroller board, .NET Micro Framework based
- NodeMCU, open-source Wi-Fi microcontroller board
- Tupperelectronics, Tupperware as electronics projects enclosures.
- OpenRISC – The aim of the OpenRISC project is to create free and open source computing platforms.
- RISC-V – An open source instruction set architecture (ISA) based on established reduced instruction set computing (RISC) principles.
- SPARC – RISC instruction set architecture (ISA).
- The Bus pirate – Universal bus interface and programmer.
- Nitrokey – USB key for data- and email-encryption and strong authentication
- AXIOM – digital cinema camera built by apertus° community.
- Elphel, Inc. – cameras based on free software and hardware designs.
- Ben NanoNote – handheld notebook computer based on a MIPS processor running Linux.
- Chumby – "ambient" information device.
- CUBIT (multi-touch) System – Open-source multitouch surface-interaction system.
- Novena – Open-source Linux computer based on a 1.2 GHz (quad-core) ARM Cortex-A9 and Xilinx FPGA.
- Open Compute Project – Openly share designs of data center products (server, storage, rack, ...).
- Parallax Propeller – a multi-core microcontroller with eight 32-bit RISC cores.
- ArduCopter, an Arduino-based drone.
- e-puck mobile robot, an open-hardware, education oriented, mobile robot.
- ICub, 1 metre high humanoid robot.
- Orb swarm, art spherical robots.
- RobotCub, predecessor of ICub
- The Humanoid Project
- OpenROV, an open-source telerobotic submarine
- Air Quality Egg – Open-source platform and pollution-sensing devices for citizen crowdsourced monitoring of air quality
- OpenDesk – project to design furniture
- Open Source Ecology
- WikiHouse – Open-source project for designing and building houses.
- Wind turbines: To assist people in the developing countries, and hobbyists alike, several projects have been open-sourced, e.g. the Jua Kali wind turbine, Hugh Piggot's wind turbine, ForceField Wind Turbine, et cetera
Lighting and LED
- LED Throwies – Non-destructive graffiti and light displays.
Machines and production tools
- Local Motors (Rally Fighter)
- Riversimple Urban Car
- OScar (open-source car)
- OSVehicle TABBY
3D printers and scanners
- The RepRap Project, an open-source 3D printer/fabber. Recyclebots, like the Lyman filament extruder, provide the filament for the RepRaps.
- LulzBot, an free-design 3D printer by Aleph Objects; has Respects Your Freedom certification from the Free Software Foundation
- The Lasersaur, an open-source laser cutter
- The Multimachine, an open-source machine tool project
- Open Source Ecology's Global Village Construction Set (GVCS) "50 different Industrial Machines that it takes to build a small civilization with modern comforts."
- Grid Beam
- Open Prosthetics Project, open source design of prosthetics
- 3D-printed stethoscope, a diagnostic device for auscultation based on the 1960s-era Littmann Cardiology 3 stethoscope as a reference design, because it is out of patent.
- Open Source Lab (book) – documents dozens of scientific tools
- Thingiverse – a collection of primarily 3-D printable open-source designs of objects
- Use tupperware as Projects Enclosures
- Pauli, Darren (2015-08-14). "Gazan medico team 3D-prints world-leading stethoscope for 30c". United Kingdom: The Register. Retrieved 2015-08-17.