List of optometry schools
||This article's use of external links may not follow Wikipedia's policies or guidelines. (October 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The following list of optometry schools covers many countries, although the list is not exhaustive. Internationally, optometry as a profession includes different levels of education. The institutions listed below provide academic and professional education and clinical training that ranges from Doctor of Optometry degree level to other professional degrees in optometry and also non-degree level education leading to a diploma or other qualifications in optometry.
In many countries the role of optometry is statutorily defined, practice is regulated and there is uniformity in professional education and clinical training and the scope of practice is consistent with the definition of optometry as a profession. In such countries the nomenclature of terminal qualification may be reviewed as and when necessary. In Australia, for example, Doctor of Optometry (OD) is now established at University of Melbourne (first intake 2011) and OD is described as "an internationally recognised qualification and the gold standard for optometry education."
- 1 Australia
- 2 Brazil
- 3 Bulgaria
- 4 Canada
- 5 Colombia
- 6 Czech Republic
- 7 Ecuador
- 8 El Salvador
- 9 France
- 10 Ghana
- 11 Hong Kong
- 12 India
- 13 Iran
- 14 Ireland
- 15 Israel
- 16 Italy
- 17 Latvia
- 18 Lebanon
- 19 Malaysia
- 20 Mexico
- 21 Nepal
- 22 The Netherlands
- 23 New Zealand
- 24 Nigeria
- 25 Norway
- 26 Pakistan
- 27 Philippines
- 28 Poland
- 29 Portugal
- 30 Russia
- 31 Saudi Arabia
- 32 Singapore
- 33 South Africa
- 34 Sri Lanka
- 35 Sudan
- 36 Sweden
- 37 Switzerland
- 38 Taiwan
- 39 Thailand
- 40 Trinidad & Tobago
- 41 United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
- 42 United States of America
- 43 See also
- 44 References
- University of Melbourne  OD
- University of New South Wales  BOptom/BSc(Vision Science)
- Queensland University of Technology  BAppSc(Optom) - Replaced with Bachelor of Vision Science / Master of Optometry from February 2009. .
- Flinders University  Bachelor of Medical Science (Vision Science), Master of Optometry
- Deakin University  Bachelor of Vision Science, Master of Optometry.
- Universidade do Contestado, as a partner of Fundación Universitaria San Martín, of Bogotá, Colombia.
- University of Waterloo School of Optometry and Vision Science, Ontario 
- Université de Montréal, Québec 
- Universidad de La Salle, Bogotá , Master in Vision Science
- Universidad Santo Tomás, Bucaramanga 
- Universidad Metropolitana, Barranquilla 
- Fundación Universitaria del Area Andina, Pereira  & Bogotá 
- Fundación Universitaria San Martín, Bogotá 
- Universidad Antonio Nariño, Bogotá 
- Universidad del Bosque, Bogotá 
- Masaryk University in Brno 
- Palacký University in Olomouc 
- Czech Technical University in Prague 
- Institut des Sciences de la Vision in St Etienne France
- Institut supérieur d'optique in Paris France ISO
- Université Paris-Sud in Orsay, France
- University of Cape Coast , Doctor of Optometry
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology , Doctor of Optometry
At present there are more than fifty schools of optometry in India. In 1958, two schools of optometry were established, one at Gandhi Eye Hospital, Aligarh in Uttar Pradesh and other one at Sarojini Devi Eye Hospital, Hyderabad in Andhra Pradesh, under second five-year plan by Director General of Health Services of Government of India. These schools offered diplomas in optometry courses of two years duration validated by State Medical Faculties. Subsequently, four more schools were opened across India situated at Sitapur Eye Hospital, Sitapur in Uttar Pradesh, Chennai (formerly Madras) in Tamil Nadu, Bengalooru (formerly Bangalore) in Karnataka and Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Thiruvananthapuram (formerly Trivandrum) in Kerala.
The Elite School of Optometry (ESO) was established in 1985 at Chennai and was the first to offer a four-year degree course. Followed by All india institute of Medical Sciences,New Delhi and Regional Institute Of Ophthalmology, Thiruvananthapuram (formerly Trivandrum) were the first government colleges to offer Bachelors degree in Optometry. This is a list of optometry schools sorted alphabetically by country.
The following list includes educational institutions offering four year degree courses, two or three year diploma courses and also non-degree courses. Post-graduate education in optometry is also offered in India leading to M.Optom, M.Phil., M.Sc. and Ph.D. by several universities.
- Al Salama College of optometry, Perinthalmanna, Calicut and Kannur, Kerala
- Netaji Subhash Institute of Optometry, Mumbai.
- A.I.I.M.S. Delhi
- IGNOU, (Central University) Delhi
- Amity University Gurgaon, Haryana
- Jamia Hamdard (Deemed) University, Delhi
- NSHM Knowledge Campus, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Jadhavpur University, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Jankalyan Eye Hospital Educational and research Institute, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- Kalyani University, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Rabindra Bharti University, Kolkata, West Bengal
- All India Institute of Optometrical Sciences (Academic Wing of Indian Optical Institute and Refraction Hospital Trust.). Kolkata. West Bengal. Pioneer of Optometry Education in India since 1932
- Vidyasagar College of Optometry and Vision Science, Kolkata, West Bengal
- West Bengal University of technology, Kolkata, West Bengal
- Bharati Vidyapeeth University,Medical College,School of Optometry,Pune, Maharashtra.
- Dr. DY Patil Institute of Optometry & Visual Science (Deemed) University Maharashtra
- ITM Institute of Health Science, (Deemed) University, Mumbai, Maharastra
- Lotus college of Optometry, Mumbai, Maharastra
- Municipal Eye Hospital, School of Optometry, Mumbai, Maharastra
- Yashwantrao Chavan Maharashtra Open University (YCMOU), Nasik, Maharashtra
- Laxmi college of Optometry, Mumbai, Maharastra
- Shri Ganpati Netralaya College of optometry, Jalna. Maharastra
- University of Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Sri NFL Educational Institute of Optometry, Vellore, Tamil Nadu
- SRM University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- The Tamil Nadu Dr.M.G.R Medical University Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Vasan Institute of Ophthalmology and Research, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Shri Prakash Institute of Optometry(A Unit of Dr.Agarwals Eye Hospital), Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Sri Ramchandra University, Porur, Tamil Nadu
- FAHS(Faculties of Allied Health Sciences Pondicherry),Vinayaka Missions University Tamil Nadu
- Elite School of Optometry, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
- Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu
- Madurai kamraj University, Tamil Nadu
- Dr.Anand College of Optometry and Vision Science, Salem, Tamil Nadu
- Manipal University, Manipal, Karnataka
- RGUHS, Karnataka
- Sankara College of Optometry, Bangalore, Karnataka
- Netrajyothi college of Health Science (Optometry), Bangalore, Karnataka
- Regional Institute of Ophthalmology, Govt:Medical College, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala
- Susruta School of Optometry & Visual Sciences, Cochin, Kerala
- Bausch & Lomb School of Optometry, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Dr.N.T.R University Of Health Sciences Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh
- University of Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
- Bareilly Institute of ParaMedical Sciences & S.S. Hospital, Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh.
- Shri Rajaram Memorial Eye Hospital, Optometry research & Training Institute, BANDA, Uttar Pradesh
- Uttrakhand University, Uttrakhand
- Nagar school of Optometry, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad, Gujrat
- Bharatimaiya College of Optometry, Surat, Gujrat
- Veer Narmad South Gujrat University, Surat, Gujrat
- J.R.N. Rajasthan vidyapeeth (Deemed) University. Rajasthan
- NIMS University, Rajasthan
- Srimanta Sankaradeva University of Health Science, Assam.
- The Global Open University Kohima, Nagaland
- Tripura University, Agartala, Tripura
- Himalayan University, Arunachal Pradesh
- Martin Luther King University, Shillog, Meghalaya
- Iran University of Medical Sciences [www.iums.ac.ir] Tehran
- Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences  Tehran
- Mashhad University of Medical Sciences  Mashhad
- Zahedan University of Medical Sciences  zahedan.
- Bar-Ilan University
- Hadassah College
Currently there are seven state universities (in Milano, Padova, Salento, Roma, Firenze, Napoli, and Torino) offering three-year university degrees in optics and optometry (Ottica e Optometria), formally a kind of a physics degree.
- University of Milano-Bicocca, Italy 
- University of Padua, Italy 
- University of Salento
- University of Florence, Italy
- University of Roma Tre, Italy
- University of Turin, Italy
- University of Naples Federico II, Italy
- Lebanese University, Faculty of Public Health www.fsp1.ul.edu.lb
- Institut Technique Industriel www.itis-lebanon.org
- American University of Science and Technology www.aust.edu.lb
- Modern University for Business and Science www.mubs.edu.lb
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia 
- International University College of Technology Twintech 
- Universiti Teknologi MARA 
- International Islamic University Malaysia 
- SEGi University College 
- Management & Science University 
- National Institute of Ophthalmic Sciences 
- Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México 
- National Polytechnic Institute, Unidad Santo Tomas 
- National Polytechnic Institute, Unidad Milpa Alta
- Universidad Autónoma de Aguascalientes  Mestría en Ciencias Biomédicas Area de >Optometria
- Universidad Xochicalco, Campus Ensenada
- Universidad Xochicalco, Campus Tijuana
- Universidad Autónoma de Ciudad Juárez
- Tribhuwan University at the B.P. Koirala Lions Centre for Ophthalmic Studies, Maharajgunj Medical Campus. Four-year bachelor's degree program only, with no post-graduate programs available.
- New Zealand National Eye Centre, Department of Optometry and Vision Science, (BOptom)
- University of Auckland 
There are seven schools offering the O.D. (Doctor of Optometry) degree.
- Federal University of Technology Owerri
- Imo State University, Owerri, Imo State.
- Abia State University Uturu, Abia State, which also offers MSc and PhD programmes in Clinical Optometry in combination with FNCO.
- University of Benin, Ugbowo, Benin-City, Edo State, Nigeria,which also offers MSc programmes in vision science.
- Madonna University Okija, Anambra State.
- Bayero University, Kano, Kano State.
- University of Ilorin, Kwara State.
- Department of Optometry and Vision Sciences(DOVS), FAHS, University of Lahore, Lahore.
- Pef university college, peshawar
- Rawalpindi medical college, Rawalpindi
- college of ophthalmology and allied vision science, KEMU, Lahore
- Rashid Latif Medical College
- University of Faisalabad
- Isra School of Optometry, Isra University, Karachi
- Isra university, Islamabad
- Pakistan Institute of Community Ophthalmology, Peshawar
- Pakistan Institute of Ophthalmology, Al-Shifa trust eye hospital, Rawalpindi
- Pakistan institute of Rehabilitation science PIRS Islamabad
- Munawar Memorial Hospital & college of optometry Chakwal
- Cebu Doctors' University
- Centro Escolar University
- Davao Doctors' College
- Manila Central University
- Mindanao Medical Foundation College
- University of the Philippines)
- Lyceum-Northwestern University
- Wrocław University of Technology 
- Poznan University of Medical Sciences 
- Adam Mickiewicz University 
- University of Warsaw
- Saint Petersburg Medical Technical College 
- The Helmholtz Research Institute for Eye Diseases
- King Saud University, Riyadh, which offers Doctor of optometry (OD) and master's degree in Vision Science.
- Qassim University, Buraidah,Al-Qassim which offers Doctor of optometry (OD)
In 2009 University of Manchester (UK) and Singapore Polytechnic set up a degree course in optometry within the premises of Singapore Polytechnic. The degree is not recognised by the General Optical Council (GOC) in the United Kingdom. This course has since been stopped due to staffing issues.
- University of Johannesburg, Gauteng,
- University of KwaZulu-Natal, Westville campus, Durban,
- University of Limpopo,
School of Ophthalmic Technology, established in 1983 by ministry of health at National Eye Hospital Colombo with the initiation of Dr. C E Parker III. Honours the Diploma in Ophthalmic technologist. Still a degree programme does not exist. These ophthalmic technologists are trained for the purpose of government hospitals. The course is also undergone by other SAARC countries: Nepal, Maldives and Pakistan. Meantime part-time courses are conducted by private institutes to provide diploma for private sectors. Namely EYE CARE INSTITUTE and SRI LANKA OPTOMETRIST ASSOCIATION. The government of Sri Lanka does not recognize optometry as a profession and has no rule and regulation to date.
- Linnaeus University, Kalmar, offers a 3-year bachelor's degree in optometry.
- Karolinska Institutet offers a 3-year bachelor's degree in optometry and a one-year master program in clinical Optometry.
There are currently 3 universities offering a bachelor's degree in optometry and 2 educational institutions offering an associate degree in optometry:
- Chung Hwa University of Medical Technology (CUMT)
- Chung Shan Medical University 
- Central Taiwan University of Science and Technology
- Jen-Teh Junior College of Medicine, Nursing, and Management 
- Shu-Zen College of Medicine and Management 
Trinidad & Tobago
United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
There are 11 educational institutions in the United Kingdom offering degrees in optometry. Eight are located in England with one optometry school in each of Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland. Additionally, in England, the Institute of Optometry offers a post-graduate professional doctorate (Doctor of Optometry degree) in partnership with London South Bank University.
- Anglia Ruskin University - Cambridge 
- University of Aston - Birmingham 
- University of Bradford 
- City University London 
- University of Hertfordshire
- University of Manchester 
- University of Plymouth
- University of Portsmouth
United States of America
There are 23 American educational institutions offering the Doctor of Optometry degree. However, many new schools are currently preparing new programs.
- AL: University of Alabama at Birmingham 
- AZ: Midwestern University Arizona College of Optometry Glendale, Arizona
- CA: University of California, Berkeley 
- CA: Southern California College of Optometry 
- CA: Western University of Health Sciences 
- FL: Nova Southeastern University 
- IL: Illinois College of Optometry 
- IL: Chicago College of Optometry
- IN: Indiana University 
- KY: University of Pikeville - Kentucky College of Optometry
- MA: New England College of Optometry 
- MA: Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences 
- MI: Michigan College of Optometry at Ferris State University 
- MO: University of Missouri at St. Louis 
- NY: State University of New York in New York City 
- OH: The Ohio State University 
- OK: Northeastern State University 
- OR: Pacific University in Portland, Oregon 
- PA: Pennsylvania College of Optometry 
- PR: Interamerican University of Puerto Rico, School of Optometry 
- TN: Southern College of Optometry 
- TX: University of Houston 
- TX: University of the Incarnate Word 
- Agarwal, R. (2000), Optometry as an international profession, British Journal of Optometry and Dispensing, 8(4),120.
- "Doctor of Optometry : Department of Optometry & Vision Sciences : The University of Melbourne". Optometry.unimelb.edu.au. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "Bachelor of Medical Science (Vision Science), Master of Optometry - Flinders University". Flinders.edu.au. 2012-09-06. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- Bill Atasever (2011-07-27). "Deakin Optometry". Deakin.edu.au. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090302100131/http://www.cni.unc.br/unc_novo/cursos/opto/opto.php. Archived from the original on March 2, 2009. Retrieved July 13, 2010. Missing or empty
- "Optometry / Faculty of Physics / Bachelor's Degree Programmes / Degree Programmes / Faculty of Physics / Faculties / The University / Home - Sofia University St. Kl. Ohridski". Uni-sofia.bg. 2011-03-29. Retrieved 2013-08-17.
- "Home". www.vcovs.org. Retrieved 2017-02-18.
- "دانشگاه علوم پزشکی و خدمات بهداشتی درمانی شهید بهشتی". Sbmu.ac.ir. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "DIT Optometry : Programme". Optometry.dit.ie. 2010-04-26. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "Ottica_Home". .mater.unimib.it. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "Dipartimento di Fisica: Corso di Laurea in Ottica e Optometria". Fisica.unipd.it. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "University of Latvia". Lu.lv. Retrieved 2012-09-29.
- "Planes de Estudio - Optometría". Dgae.unam.mx. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
-  Archived December 22, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Páginas - UACJ". Uacj.mx. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- University of Benin http://www.uniben.edu/
- "Optometry Studies". Buskerud University College. Retrieved 15 September 2012.
- "Главные события - http://www.igb.ru - Сайт Московского НИИ глазных болезней им.Гельмгольца". Helmholtzeyeinstitute.ru. Retrieved 2012-09-15. External link in
- "Diploma in Optometry (N83)". Np.edu.sg. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "General Optical Council UK".
- "Asiaone - End in sight for optometry degree course".
- "CLOSURE OF OPTOMETRY DEGREE COURSE – DUE TO 'POLITICS'?".
- "University of Johannesburg". Uj.ac.za. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "Home". Spso.ukzn.ac.za. Retrieved 2012-09-12.
- "University of Limpopo". Ul.ac.za. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Řźř§Ů…Řšřš Ř§Ů"Ů†Ůšů"Ůšů† - Ř§Ů"Ů…ŮˆŮ‚Řš Ř§Ů"Řąřłů…Ůš". Neelain.edu.sd. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Optometry Programme - Linnaeus University, Sweden - Lnu.se". Utb.lnu.se. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- Jenny Enberg (2008-03-17). "Study Programme in Optometry 2008/2009 - Study Programmes - Karolinska Institutet". Ki.se. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Program & kurser - Program och kurser - Karolinska Institutet". Ki.se. 2010-04-15. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
-  Archived December 8, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- "B.Sc Optometry - University of the West Indies, St. Augustine. Faculty of Medical Sciences. Page 81." (PDF). sta.uwi.edu. Retrieved 2013-09-10.
- Agarwal, R. (2008), Integrating theory with practice, Optician, volume 236, number 6167, page 12.
- Agarwal, R. (2014), Developing the doctorate, Optician, volume 247, number 6439, page 26.
- Anglia Ruskin University, Information Services Team (2012-08-24). "University Eye Clinic - Department of Vision and Hearing Sciences - Anglia Ruskin University". Anglia.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-05-24. Retrieved 2006-11-04.
- [dead link]
- "Healthcare Degree Courses in London - School of Health Sciences | City University London". City.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
-  Archived November 13, 2004, at the Wayback Machine.
- "GCU Virtual Advisor - Programme Details". Hp1.gcal.ac.uk. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20080405022343/http://prospectus.ulster.ac.uk/modules/courses/F160UC.html. Archived from the original on April 5, 2008. Retrieved February 19, 2016. Missing or empty
- "FAQs | ASCO: Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry". www.opted.org. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "UAB - Welcome". Uab.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Curriculum-Curriculum, Western University of Health Sciences". Westernu.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-15.
- "Midwestern University - Educating Tomorrow's Healthcare Team | Midwestern University". www.midwestern.edu. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "KYCO - University of Pikeville". www.upike.edu. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "College of Optometry". Umsl.edu. 2012-08-30. Retrieved 2012-09-29.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-10-07. Retrieved 2006-11-04.
- "Doctor of Optometry Programs". Salus.edu. Retrieved 2012-09-29.