List of organizations with consultative status to the United Nations Economic and Social Council
Consultative Status to the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) is the highest status granted by the United Nations to non-governmental organizations (NGO's), thereby allowing them to participate in the work of the United Nations. Consultative Status is divided into three categories:
- General Consultative Status (formerly Consultative Status 1), the highest level, which may be granted to organizations that are concerned with most of the activities of the council, that are making substantive and sustained contributions in many fields, with a considerable membership, and that are broadly representative of major segments of society in a large number of countries. These organizations are entitled to deliver oral presentations during the council's meetings.
- Special Consultative Status (formerly Consultative Status 2), which may be granted to organizations concerned with only a few of the fields of activity covered by the Council
- Roster, which are "other organizations that do not have general or special consultative status but that the Council, or the Secretary-General of the United Nations in consultation with the Council or its Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations, considers can make occasional and useful contributions to the work of the Council."
Twice a year, the United Nations Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations reviews new applications for consultative status and makes recommendations to the ECOSOC, which reviews and decides to approve or deny the recommendations. Consultative Status, depending on level, gives the organizations a number of rights to participate in the work of the UN, to present their views and deliver testimony.
The first time that non-governmental organizations were granted consultative status was in 1946, when 41 organizations were chosen. By 1996, over 1000 NGO's were granted consultative status, and by the year 2000, there were 2050.
As of July 2018, there are a total of 5,081 organizations in consultative status with ECOSOC. There are 134 organizations in general consultative status, 3,974 in special consultative status and 973 on the Roster.
General Consultative Status
|1946||International Chamber of Commerce|
|1946||International Cooperative Alliance|
|1946||World Federation of Trade Unions|
|1947||International Alliance of Women|
|1947||International Federation of Agricultural Producers|
|1947||International Federation of Business and Professional Women|
|1947||International Organisation of Employers|
|1947||International Organization for Standardization|
|1947||International Union of Local Authorities|
|1947||World Confederation of Labour|
|1947||World Federation of Democratic Youth|
|1947||World Federation of United Nations Associations|
|1947||World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts|
|1947||World Organization of the Scout Movement|
|1947||International Council of Women|
|1947||United Cities and Local Governments|
|1948||World Family Organization|
|1950||International Confederation of Free Trade Unions|
|1950||World Assembly of Youth|
|1952||World Veterans Federation|
|1966||Association de Volontaires pour le Service International|
|1966||World Federation of United and Twinned Towns|
|1967||World Muslim Congress|
|1969||Commission of the Churches on International Affairs of the World Council of Churches|
|1969||Women's International Democratic Federation|
|1972||Coopération Internationale pour le Développement et la Solidarité (CIDSE)|
|1972||International Council on Social Welfare|
|1973||International Council of Environmental Law|
|1973||International Planned Parenthood Federation|
|1973||International Youth & Student Movement for the United Nations|
|1974||International Council of Voluntary Agencies|
|1975||Organization of African Trade Union Unity|
|1979||International Social Security Association|
|1979||Muslim World League|
|1980||Assemblée parlementaire de la Francophonie|
|1981||Society for International Development|
|1985||Greek Orthodox Archdiocesan Council of North and South America|
|1991||Asia Crime Prevention Foundation|
|1993||Agence internationale pour le développement|
|1993||International Association Znanie|
|1993||Médecins Sans Frontières (International)|
|1993||Save the Children International (formerly known as "Save the Children Alliance")|
|1995||Association for Progressive Communications|
|1995||Association of Medical Doctors of Asia|
|1995||Bochasanwasi Shri Akshar Purushottam Swaminarayan Sanstha|
|1995||Colombian Confederation of NGOs|
|1995||Confederación Latinoamericana de Cooperativas de Ahorro y Crédito (COLAC)|
|1996||Academic Council on the United Nations System|
|1996||Asian Forum of Parliamentarians on Population and Development|
|1996||Association tunisienne des mères|
|1996||Environmental Development Action in the Third World (ENDA)|
|1996||Foundation for the Support of the United Nations|
|1997||Adventist Development and Relief Agency|
|1997||Association for Women's Rights in Development|
|1997||CIVICUS: World Alliance for Citizen Participation|
|1997||Comité Directeur International sur la Promotion Economique des Femmes Rurales|
|1998||African American Islamic Institute|
|1998||Asian Legal Resource Centre|
|1998||Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University|
|1998||Centre de Recherches et de Promotion pour la Sauvegarde des Sites et Monuments Historiques en Afrique|
|1998||Centre Europe - Tiers Monde - Europe - Third World Centre|
|1998||Universal Esperanto Association|
|1999||Caritas Internationalis (International Confederation of Catholic Charities)|
|1999||Congregations of St. Joseph (See "Congregations of St. Joseph"" under Sisters of St. Joseph)|
|1999||The National Council of Women of the United States|
|2000||Femmes Africa Solidarité|
|2001||Chinese People's Association for Friendship with Foreign Countries|
|2001||Foundation for the Social Promotion of Culture|
|2002||Centro di Ricerca e Documentazione Febbraio 74|
|2002||Conference of Non-Governmental Organizations in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations (Conference of NGOs)|
|2002||Family Health International|
|2002||World Information Transfer|
|1948||Friends World Committee for Consultation|
|2004||Fundación Global Democracia y Desarrollo|
|2005||Cultural Survival (CS)|
|2005||Universal Peace Federation (UPF)|
|2007||International Eurasia Press Fund|
|2007||International Trade Union Confederation|
|2008||China NGO Network for International Exchanges|
|2009||Russian Peace Foundation|
|2011||ONG Hope International|
|2012||Biovision Stiftung für ökologische Entwicklung|
|2012||Gazeteciler ve Yazarlar Vakfi (GYV)|
|2012||Islamic Relief USA|
|2012||Voluntary Service Overseas|
|2012||Convention of Independent Financial Advisors-CIFA|
|1997||Green Cross International|
|1996||Humane Society of the United States|
|2017||Imam Ali Popular Students Relief Society|
|1991||Inter-Press Service International Association (IPS)|
|1995||Interaction, American Council for Voluntary International Action|
|1995||International Abolitionist Federation|
|1995||International Association for Religious Freedom|
|1998||International Association of Lions Clubs (Lions Clubs International)|
|1999||International Association of Peace Foundations|
|1995||International Association of Soldiers for Peace|
|1998||International Center for Research on Women (ICRW)|
|1991||International Council for Adult Education|
|1947||International Council of Women / Conseil International des Femmes|
|2013||Lift Up Care Foundation (LUCAF)|
|2014||International Council on Management of Population Programmes|
|2011||International Federation for Family Development|
|1991||International Federation of Associations of the Elderly|
|1998||International Federation of Settlements and Neighbourhood Centres|
|1995||International Federation on Ageing|
|2015||International Health Awareness Network, Inc.|
|2002||International Higher Education Academy of Sciences (IHEAS)|
|2011||International Indian Treaty Council|
|1995||International Informatization Academy|
|1995||International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis|
|1998||International Institute for Non-aligned Studies|
|2013||International Institute of Administrative Sciences|
|1991||International Movement ATD Fourth World|
|2005||International Research Centre for Environmental Structures "Pio Manzu"|
|2013||International Road Transport Union|
|1999||International Trustee Fund of the Tsyolkovsky Moscow State Aviation Technological University|
|1999||International Union of Economists|
|2011||Junior Chamber International|
|1999||Legiao da Boa Vontade - Legion of Good Will|
|1995||Liberal International (World Liberal Union)|
|2004||Make Mothers Matter - MMM|
|1996||Médecins du Monde - International|
|2002||National Association of Non-Governmental Organizations (National Association of NGOs)|
|1995||National Council of Negro Women|
Special Consultative Status
- Asian Media Information and Communication Centre
- Asia-Pacific Broadcasting Union
- Association of African Universities
- Association of Arab Universities
- Association of European Universities
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists
- Caribbean Food Crops Society
- Conseil international des organisations de festivals de folklore et d'arts traditionnels
- Council for International Organizations of Medical Sciences
- European Association for Animal Production
- European Association for Research on Plant Breeding
- European Atomic Forum
- European Broadcasting Union
- European Chemical Industry Council
- European Computer Manufacturers Association
- General Union of Chambers of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture for Arab Countries
- Institute of International Law
- International Academy of Pathology
- International Aeronautical Federation
- International Amateur Radio Union
- International Association for Cereal Science and Technology
- International Association for Suicide Prevention
- International Association for the Study of Pain
- International Association of Agricultural Information Specialists
- International Association of Applied Linguistics
- International Association of Classification Societies
- International Association of Conference Interpreters
- International Association of Dry Cargo Shipowners
- International Association of Horticultural Producers
- International Association of Independent Tanker Owners
- International Association of Universities
- International Board on Books for Young People
- International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development
- International Commission of Agricultural Engineering
- International Commission on Illumination
- International Commission on Occupational Health
- International Commission on Radiation Units and Measurements
- International Commission on Radiological Protection
- International Council for Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders
- International Council for Philosophy and Humanistic Studies
- International Council of Graphic Design Associations
- International Council of Marine Industry Associations
- International Council of Management Consulting Institutes
- International Council of Museums
- International Council of Nurses
- International Council on Archives
- International Diabetes Federation
- International Epidemiological Association
- International Ergonomics Association
- International Federation for Documentation
- International Federation for Information Processing
- International Federation for Medical and Biological Engineering
- International Federation of Automatic Control
- International Federation of Catholic Universities
- International Federation of Consulting Engineers
- International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
- International Federation of Pharmaceutical Manufacturers Associations (IFPMA)
- International Federation of Plantation, Agricultural and Allied Workers
- International Federation of Translators
- International Federation of Workers' Education Associations
- International Fertilizer Industry Association
- International Food Policy Research Institute
- International Institute for Peace
- International Life Sciences Institute
- International Medical Society of Paraplegia
- International Music Council
- International Peace Research Association
- International Pharmaceutical Federation
- International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War
- International Political Science Association
- International Press Telecommunications Council
- International Publishers Association
- International Radiation Protection Association
- International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing
- International Society of City and Regional Planners
- International Sociological Association
- International Theatre Institute
- International Transport Workers' Federation
- International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics
- International Union of Microbiological Societies
- International Union of Nutritional Sciences
- International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry
- Licensing Executives Society International
- Medicus Mundi International
- Miners' International Federation
- Pacific Science Association
- Population Action International
- Saami Council
- Society of Chemical Industry
- Soka Gakkai International
- Third World Network
- Union of Industrial and Employers' Confederations of Europe
- World Association of Newspapers
- World Energy Conference
- World Federation for Medical Education
- World Federation of Engineering Organizations
- World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies
- World Federation of Scientific Workers
- World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists
- World Heart Federation
- World Islamic Call Society
- World Medical Association
- World Movement of Christian Workers
- World Peace Council
- World Press Freedom Committee
- "Basic Facts about ECOSOC Status". Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Make Your Voice Heard". Archived from the original on 2 February 2020. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Number of NGO's in Consultative Status with the council". Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "United Nations Civil Society Participation – Consultative status". United Nations Civil Society Participation (iCSO). United Nations. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "United Nations Civil Society Participation – Advanced Search". Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "List of non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council". Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 July 2004. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "List of non - governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council as of 1 September 2014" (PDF). United Nations - NGO Branch - Department of Economic and Social Affairs. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "NGO Facilitators". United Nations Department of ECOSOC. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- "Frequently asked questions: What does the abbreviation CIDSE stand for?". CIDSE. Retrieved 2 July 2016.
- "Environmental Development Action in the Third World (ENDA)". United Nations Office on Drug and Crime. Retrieved 25 April 2015.
- Abbott, Margery Post; Chijioke, Mary Ellen; Dandelion, Pink; John W Oliver JR (12 March 2003). Historical Dictionary of the Friends (Quakers) - Margery Post Abbott, Mary Ellen Chijioke, Pink Dandelion, John W. Oliver Jr. - Google Books. ISBN 9780810866034. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- http://www.upf.org/who-we-are |
- "Biovision Stiftung für ökologische Entwicklung". Biovision Foundation. Retrieved 15 March 2016.
- "Consultative Status with ECOSOC and other accreditations". United Nations: NGO Branch - UN Dept. of Economic and Social Affairs. Retrieved 29 January 2016.
- "List of non - governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council as of 1 September 2014" (PDF). United Nations - NGO Branch - Department of Economic and Social Affairs. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 July 2015. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "ECOSOC Civil Society Network". United Nations Department of ECOSOC. Retrieved 19 August 2019.
- "GEN Advocacy - Working to Improve Policies and Practices towards Sustainability". Global Ecovillage Network. Retrieved 5 August 2019.
- "Ngo Committee Recommends Six Organizations For Consultative Status With Economic And Social Council | Meetings Coverage And Press Releases". Un.org. 24 January 2006. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "United Nations Civil Society Participation – General". United Nations. Retrieved 7 August 2015.
- "International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children Granted Special Status with United Nations". ICMEC. 12 August 2008. Archived from the original on 30 September 2008. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "List of NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC (Post-2015 Summit)" (PDF). United Nations. 1 September 2015.
- Decision 2015/223: Applications for consultative status and requests for reclassification received from non-governmental organizations (PDF) (Report). United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). 20 July 2015. p. 1. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 April 2016. Retrieved 19 August 2020.
- "Palestinian refugee rights group wins UN consultative status". Middle East Eye. 21 July 2015.
- "E/2018/INF/5 - E - E/2018/INF/5". undocs.org. Retrieved 4 September 2020.
- "The Next Century Foundation granted special consultative status with ECOSOC" (PDF). United Nations. 27 April 2017.
- "United Nations Civil Society Participation (iCSO) – Login". esango.un.org. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "Rahi A Social & Cultural Upliftment Society granted special consultative status with ECOSOC".
- "ECOSOC Decision 2017" (PDF).
- "The Women and Media Collective, Sri Lanka granted special consultative status with ECOSOC". United Nations. October 2017.
- "Continuing Regular Session, Non-governmental Organizations Committee Recommends Status for 61 Entities, Defers Action on 24 | Meetings Coverage and Press Releases". www.un.org. Retrieved 4 September 2020.
- "28. Jun". United Nations. October 2018.
- "United Nations Civil Society Participation (iCSO) – Login". esango.un.org. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- "United Nations Committee granted Special Status for Silambam Asia (Continent body of World Silambam Association)". un.org. United Nations Meetings Coverage & Press Releases. Retrieved 21 January 2019.