List of organizations with consultative status to the United Nations Economic and Social Council
Consultative Status to the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) is the highest status granted by the United Nations to non-governmental organizations (NGO's), thereby allowing them to participate in the work of the United Nations. Consultative Status is divided into three categories:
- General Consultative Status (formerly Consultative Status 1), the highest level, which may be granted to organizations that are concerned with most of the activities of the Council, that are making substantive and sustained contributions in many fields, with a considerable membership, and that are broadly representative of major segments of society in a large number of countries. These organizations are entitled to deliver oral presentations during the Council's meetings.
- Special Consultative Status (formerly Consultative Status 2), which may be granted to organizations concerned with only a few of the fields of activity covered by the Council
- Roster, which are "other organizations that do not have general or special consultative status but that the Council, or the Secretary-General of the United Nations in consultation with the Council or its Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations, considers can make occasional and useful contributions to the work of the Council."
Twice a year, the United Nations Committee on Non-Governmental Organizations reviews new applications for consultative status and makes recommendations to the ECOSOC, which reviews and decides to approve or deny the recommendations. Almost always, these recommendations are approved. Consultative Status, depending on level, gives the organizations a number of rights to participate in the work of the UN, to present their views and deliver testimony.
The first time that non-governmental organizations were granted consultative status was in 1946, when 41 organizations were chosen. By 1996, over 1000 NGO's were granted consultative status, and by the year 2000, there were 2050.
As of July 2018, there are a total of 5,081 organizations in consultative status with ECOSOC. There are 134 organizations in general consultative status, 3,974 in special consultative status and 973 on the Roster.
General Consultative Status
The United States of America
Fire and safety forum
Special Consultative Status
- "Basic Facts about ECOSOC Status". Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- https://www.un.org/esa/coordination/ngo/about.htm. Retrieved 29 July 2018. Missing or empty
- "Number of NGO's in Consultative Status with the council". Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "United Nations Civil Society Participation – Consultative status". United Nations Civil Society Participation (iCSO). United Nations. Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "United Nations Civil Society Participation – Advanced Search". Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "List of non-governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council". Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC" (PDF). Archived from the original (pdf) on 2004-07-28. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "List of non - governmental organizations in consultative status with the Economic and Social Council as of 1 September 2014" (PDF). United Nations - NGO Branch - Department of Economic and Social Affairs. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "United Nations Civil Society Participation – General". United Nations. Retrieved 7 August 2015.
- "International Centre for Missing & Exploited Children Granted Special Status with United Nations". ICMEC. August 12, 2008.
- "List of NGOs in consultative status with ECOSOC (Post-2015 Summit)" (PDF). United Nations. 1 September 2015.
- "The Next Century Foundation granted special consultative status with ECOSOC" (PDF). United Nations. 27 April 2017.
- "United Nations Civil Society Participation (iCSO) – Login". esango.un.org. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- "Rahi A Social & Cultural Upliftment Society granted special consultative status with ECOSOC".
- "ECOSOC Decision 2017" (PDF).
- "The Women and Media Collective, Sri Lanka granted special consultative status with ECOSOC". United Nations. October 2017.
- "28. Jun". United Nations. October 2018.