List of pastoral visits of Pope Paul VI
The list of pastoral visits of Pope Paul VI details the travels of the first pope to leave Italy since 1809, representing the first ever papal pilgrimage to the Holy Land and the first papal visit to the Americas, to Africa, Oceania and Asia. He visited six continents, and was the most-travelled pope in history to that time, earning the nickname "the Pilgrim Pope". With his travels he opened new avenues for the papacy, which were continued by his successors Popes John Paul II, Benedict XVI and Francis. He traveled to the Holy Land in 1964 where he met with Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras I in Jerusalem which led to rescinding the excommunications of the Great Schism, which took place in 1054. The Pope also traveled to the Eucharistic Congresses in Bombay, India and Bogotá, Colombia. During the first papal visit to the United States in October 1965, Paul VI met with President Lyndon B. Johnson and addressed the United Nations. Fifty years after the first apparition of Our Lady of Fátima, he visited the shrine in Fátima, Portugal in 1967. He undertook a pastoral visit to Africa in 1969. After a 1970 trip to several Asian and Pacific nations, he made no additional international trips. He died August 6, 1978.
|Voyage||Date ||Nations Visited||Places Visited||Notes|
|1.||4–6 January 1964||Jordan||Amman, Jerusalem Old City (Jordanian side), Bethlehem||This was the first time a reigning pontiff had flown on an airplane, the first papal pilgrimage to the Holy Land, and the first time a Pope had left Italy in more than a century. Paul VI met King Hussein of Jordan in Amman and Patriarch Athenagoras I of Constantinople on the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem.|
|5 January 1964||Israel||Megiddo, Nazareth, Sea of Galilee|
|2.||2 December 1964||Lebanon||Beirut||stopover|
|2–5 December 1964||India||Bombay||Attended the 38th International Eucharistic Congress|
|3.||4 October 1965||United States||New York City||The Pope met with President Lyndon B. Johnson, addressed the United Nations General Assembly, celebrated Mass at Yankee Stadium, and visited the New York World's Fair.|
|4.||13 May 1967||Portugal||Fátima||Pilgrimage to the Marian shrine |
|5.||25–26 July 1967||Turkey||Istanbul, Ephesus, Smyrna||Second meeting with Patriarch Athenagoras I of Constantinople.|
|6.||22–24 August 1968||Colombia||Bogotá||Attended the 39th International Eucharistic Congress in Bogotá.|
|24 August 1968||Bermuda||Hamilton||Stopover|
|7.||10 June 1969||Switzerland||Geneva||Paul VI addressed the International Labour Organization.|
|8.||31 July–2 August 1969||Uganda||Kampala, Namugongo||The first papal visit to an African country. The Pope attended the Eucharistic celebration in Kampala at the conclusion of the Symposium organized by the Bishops of Africa. He met the President of Uganda, Milton Obote, and members of the Parliament of Uganda. Meeting with the representatives of the religious leaders of Uganda.|
|9.||26–27 November 1970||Iran||Tehran||The Pope's last international trip took him to nine countries. He met several heads of state including Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi of Iran, President Ferdinand Marcos of the Philippines, the O le Ao o le Malo of Samoa Malietoa Tanumafili II, Governor-General Paul Hasluck of Australia, and President Suharto of Indonesia. On November 27, 1970, the Pope was the target of an assassination attempt by Benjamín Mendoza y Amor Flores at Manila International Airport in the Philippines.|
|27 November 1970||Pakistan[Note 1]||Dhaka|
|27-29 November 1970||Philippines||Manila|
|30 November 1970||American Samoa||Pago Pago|
|30 November 1970||Western Samoa||Leulumoega|
|30 November–3 December 1970||Australia||Sydney|
|3–4 December 1970||Indonesia||Jakarta|
|4 December 1970||Hong Kong||Hong Kong|
|4–5 December 1970||Ceylon[Note 2]||Colombo|
- Pilgrimage on the occasion of the 700th anniversary of the bull "Transiturus".
- The Pope attended the National Eucharistic Congress.
- September 1, 1966: Alatri, Fumone, Ferentino and Anagni
- September 11, 1966: Carpineto Romano and Colleferro
- December 24, 1966: Florence
- The Pope visited Florence, affected by severe flooding on November 4 of that year.
- December 24 and 25, 1968: Taranto
- April 24, 1970: Cagliari
- September 3, 1971: Albano
- September 8, 1971: Subiaco
- September 16, 1972: Udine, Venice and Aquileia
- The Pope attended the National Eucharistic Congress in Udine.
- December 24, 1972: Ponzano Romano and Sant'Oreste
- September 14, 1974: Aquino
- August 8, 1976: Bolsena
- The pope visited Bolsena on the occasion of the closing of the International Eucharistic Congress in Philadelphia.
- The Pope attended the National Eucharistic Congress.
- World Almanac and Book of Facts. Facts on File, Inc. 1969. p. 249.
- The New York Times Encyclopedic Almanac. 1969. p. 440.
- Sudilovsky, Judith (2009). "Papal Visits to the Holy Land". Official Catholic Directory. Archived from the original on March 20, 2013.
- Elie, Paul (September 2004). "In Search of a Pope". The Atlantic. Archived from the original on March 20, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2011.
Paul VI was dubbed 'the pilgrim Pope,' and in the early years of his pontificate he made the moniker fit.
- "Papal Visits to Israel: A Retrospective". GoJerusalem.com. May 2009. Archived from the original on March 20, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2011.
Pope Paul VI, otherwise known as the 'Pilgrim Pope,' was the first Pope to travel to six continents while in office, setting an important precedent for future Popes.
- Cross, F. L., ed. (2005). The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church. New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-280290-9.. See M. G. D'Agostino, Il Primato della Sede di Roma in Leone IX (1049-1054). Studio dei testi latini nella controversia greco-romana nel periodo pregregoriano, Edizioni San Paolo, Cinisello Balsamo 2008. See A. Bayer, Spaltung der Christenheit. Das sogennante Morgenländische Schisma von 1054, Köln-Weimar-Wien 2002.
- "Pope Paul VI - Travels". Vatican.va. Archived from the original on March 17, 2013.
- "Pope Paul VI 1963-1978". Vatican.va. Archived from the original on March 20, 2013.
- "'Cursed' Alitalia, Pope's airline, on the ropes". Reuters. September 14, 2008. Archived from the original on March 20, 2013.
- "The Pilgrimage of Pope Paul the Sixth". Life: 18–29. January 17, 1964. Retrieved January 18, 2011.
- "Religion: Death of a Patriarch". Time. July 17, 1972. Retrieved January 18, 2011.
- "The President's Daily Diary: October 4, 1965". Lyndon Baines Johnson Library and Museum. Archived from the original on March 17, 2013.
- Harnisch, Larry (April 14, 2008). "The Daily Mirror Larry Harnisch reflects on Los Angeles history". Los Angeles Times. Archived from the original on March 20, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2011.
- "New York World's Fair 1964/1965". NYWF64.com. Archived from the original on March 20, 2013.
His Holiness Pope Paul VI, 15 Cardinals, 1 Patriarch, 3 Apostolic Delegates, 5 Papal Nuncios, and 127 Archbishops and Bishops were among the ecclesiastical visitors to the Pavilion.
- "Pilgrimage to the Shrine of Our Lady of Fatima May 13, 1967". Vatican.va. Archived from the original on March 20, 2013.
- "Visit to Geneve on the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the International Labour Organization 10 June 1969". Vatican.va. Archived from the original on 20 March 2013.
- Stanley, Alessandra (March 12, 1999). "Iran's Leader and Pope Seek Better Muslim-Christian Ties". The New York Times. Archived from the original on March 20, 2013. Retrieved January 19, 2011.
The last papal meeting with an Iranian leader was in 1970, when Pope Paul VI was greeted by the Shah during an airport stopover in Teheran.
- "Address of the Holy Father Paul VI to the President of the Philippines - Manila, Philippines Friday, 27 November 1970". Vatican.va. Archived from the original on 20 March 2013.
- "Address of the Holy Father Paul VI to His Highness Malietoa Tanumafili II - West Samoa Monday, 30 November 1970". Vatican.va. Archived from the original on 20 March 2013.
- "Welcome Ceremony Address of the Holy Father Paul VI - International Airport of Sydney, Australia Monday, 30 November 1970". Vatican.va. Archived from the original on 20 March 2013.
- "Address of the Holy Father Paul VI to the President of the Republic of Indonesia - Djakarta, Indonesia Thursday, 3 December 1970". Vatican.va. Archived from the original on 20 March 2013.
- "Apostle Endangered". Time. December 7, 1970. Retrieved January 18, 2011.
- "Paul VI - Travels". Vatican City: Libreria Editrice Vaticana. Retrieved January 31, 2018.
- "Visita a la ciudad de Pescara con ocasión del XIX Congreso eucarístico nacional, 17 de septiembre de 1977" (in Spanish). Vatican City: Libreria Editrice Vaticana. Retrieved January 31, 2018.
- "1965 Year in Review Pope Paul VI Visits U.S." United Press International. 1965. Archived from the original on May 11, 2015.
United Press International story about the Pope's 1965 visit to New York City.
- "Flashback: 1964 papal visit". BBC News. March 21, 2000. Archived from the original on September 8, 2015.
BBC News story about the Pope's 1964 visit to Israel.
- "World's Fair Photos" Pope Paul VI visits the World's Fair - audio of the NBC television feed.
- "Pope Paul VI talks at the United Nations, and sees the 'Pieta'" YouTube video of the Pope's visit to the United Nations.