List of people from Allahabad
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of people associated with Allahabad)
- 1 List
- 2 See also
- 3 References
People which are listed in bold were born in Allahabad.
Academics, science, and engineering
- Manindra Agrawal - mathematician, engineer, recipient of Padmashree, Infosys Prize and Fulkerson Prize
- Ziauddin Ahmad * : mathematician
- Sonali Bandyopadhyay - first woman marine engineer of India
- Amiya Charan Banerjee ^ : mathematician
- John B. Chitamber ^ : educational reformer
- Sorab K. Ghandhi - educational reformer
- Rajesh Gopakumar - Theoretical physicist at HRI, SSB Prize winner.
- Joseph Jogindranath Ghose (1869-1942) - educationist, first Indian to be awarded a D.Litt from a foreign university (University of Edinburgh) in 1907
- Ganganath Jha ^ : scholar, philosopher
- Raj Narain Kapoor : educational reformer
- Chittaranjan Mitra : scientist
- Henri Pequet - pilot of the first official airmail flight
- Zahoor Qasim : marine biologist
- Amitava Raychaudhuri - Theoretical particle physicist at HRI, SSB Prize winner.
- Ashoke Sen - String theorist, Fellow of the Royal Society, Milner Prize winner, theoretical physicist at HRI 
Authors and writers
- Suryakant Tripathi "Nirala", writer, poet
- Sumitranandan Pant, writer, poet
- Dr.Dhirendra Verma,critic
- Mahadevi Varma, poet
- Meena Alexander, poet
- Akbar Allahabadi, poet
- Harivansh Rai Bachchan - poet, writer, born in and resident of Allahabad.
- Aniruddha Bahal, journalist, novelist
- Dharamvir Bharati, author, poet
- Harisena, poet
- Krishna Prakash Bahadur, writer
- Satish Chandra, writer, historian
- Subhadra Kumari Chauhan, poet
- Shamsur Rahman Faruqi, poet
- Rafiq Husain, writer, poet
- Arvind Krishna Mehrotra - poet, anthologist and resident of Allahabad.
- Vibhuti Narain Rai *, novelist
- Julia Strachey - novelist, writer
- Allan Sealy - author, writer, recipient of Commonwealth Writers' Prize
- Ibn-e-Safi, novelist
- Vikas Swarup - novelist, diplomate
Business and philanthropy
- Sarala Devi Chaudhurani ^, founder of Bharat Stree Mahamandal
- Jagmal Raja Chauhan ^, contractor, industrialist and philanthropist
- Abhay Bhushan, computer engineer
- Imtiaz Alam Hanfi, banker, governor of the State Bank of Pakistan
- Sam Higginbottom - philanthropist, founder of Sam Higginbottom Institute of Agriculture, Technology and Sciences
- Neeraj Roy, Managing Director and CEO Hungama
- Mason Vaugh ^, philanthropist, educational reformer
- Gopendra Mishra ^, Manager Organic Projects & Agribusiness Division, Sheel Biotech Limited
- Amol Bose, Grandfather of Indian Advertising.
- Atique Ahmed, criminal-politician, murderer
- Karan Arora : film producer
- Amitabh Bachchan : film actor, recipient of Padma Vibhushan, Knight of the Legion of Honour and resident of Allahabad.
- Vijay Bose : theatre director and actor
- Sulochana Brahaspati : singer
- Vikrant Chaturvedi : voice artist
- Hariprasad Chaurasia : composer, flutist
- Dr. Prithwi Nath Pandey : Media-expert (Director : Institute of Journalism & Mass-communication; Editor : Balmitra, Allahabad)
Rakesh Chaurasia]] : flautist
- Sudhir Dar : cartoonist
- S Abbas Husainy, Editorand publisher of Jasoosi Duniya
- Tigmanshu Dhulia - director, producer, recipient of National Film Award
- Nikhil Dwivedi : actor
- Jaddanbai : singer, actress
- S A H Rizvi Senior journalist
- Janki Bai Allahabad : most famous singer of British India.
- Anshuman Jha - actor
- Nalin Mazumdar : guitarist
- Prachi Mishra : former Femina Miss India Earth
- Indrani Mukherjee : actress
- Nargis : actress
- Siddharth Nigam - actor, gymnast 
- Kinsey Peile : playwrighter, actor
- Deepraj Rana- actor, resident of Allahabad.
- Anubhav Sinha : director
- Tanveer Zaidi : actor
- Girish Bihari - IPS officer
- Norman Anil Kumar Browne - former Chief of Air Staff of the Indian Air Force, India's ambassador to Norway, born in Allahabad.
- George Nicolas Channer - recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Syed Ata Hasnain - Lieutenant General in the Indian Army
- Bhopinder Singh - Lieutenant Governor of the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Rudyard Kipling - author, assistant editor at The Pioneer (Allahabad), Nobel Prize in Literature(1907)
Politics and Law
Head of state and government
- Jawaharlal Nehru - 1st Prime Minister of India
- Lal Bahadur Shastri - 2nd Prime Minister of India
- Indira Gandhi - 3rd Prime Minister of India, born in and resident of Allahabad.
- Rajiv Gandhi - 6th Prime Minister of India
- Gulzarilal Nanda - interim Prime Minister of India
- Vishwanath Pratap Singh - 7th Prime Minister of India
- Chandra Shekhar - 8th Prime Minister of India
- Keshari Nath Tripathi - Governor of West Bengal, Governor of Bihar, Governor of Mizoram and lawyer at Allahabad High Court
- Kamal Aslam - First Asian to Hold 500+ World Records, World Ranked #3 RecordSetter, Motivator, Painter
- Asaf Ali - Governor of Odisha
- Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna - Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Minister of Finance
- Rita Bahuguna - mayor of Allahabad
- Vijay Bahuguna - Chief Minister of Uttarakhand
- Rajendra Kumari Bajpai - Lieutenant Governor of Pondicherry, Union Minister of India
- Shanti Bhushan - 5th Law Minister of India
- B. K. Chaturvedi - cabinet secretary of India, recipient of Padma Bhushan
- Alvin Robert Cornelius - 4th Chief Justice of Pakistan
- Mohammed Fazal - Governor of Maharashtra
- Feroze Gandhi - politician, journalist
- A. N. D. Haksar - diplomat
- Murli Manohar Joshi - 1st Minister of Human Resource Development, former Ministry of Science and Technology of India
- V. N. Khare - 33rd Chief Justice of India
- Madan Mohan Malaviya - 25th, 34th and 50th President of the Indian National Congress
- Janeshwar Mishra - politician
- Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi - Vice President of the BJP
- Kamala Nehru - freedom fighter, First Lady of the Indian National Congress
- Motilal Nehru - 36th and 47th President of the Indian National Congress
- Bishambhar Nath Pande - mayor of Allahabad
- Vijaya Lakshmi Pandit - politician, recipient of Bharat Ratna
- Gopal Swarup Pathak - 4th Vice President of India, 4th Governor of Karnataka
- Ferdino Rebello - 42nd Chief Justice of Allahabad High Court
- Girish Chandra Saxena - former Governor of Jammu and Kashmir
- Krishna Mohan Seth - former Governor of Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Tripura
- Anshuman Singh - former Governor of Rajasthan and Gujarat, former Chief Justice of Rajasthan High Court
- Cornelia Sorabji - first woman advocate of India when admitted to Allahabad High Court 
- Purushottam Das Tandon - lawyer, freedom fighter
- Saligram Jaiswal - freedom fighter, Former Health Minister U.P.
- Kailas Nath Wanchoo - 10th Chief Justice of India
- Ismail Qureshi al Hashmi - religious scholar
- Ramananda - reviver of the Ramanandi sect.
- Samuel H. Kellogg - Presbyterian missionary who played a major role in revising and retranslating the Hindi Bible, teacher at Allahabad Bible Seminary
- Kripalu Maharaj - spiritual leader
Royal and noble ranks
- Akbar the Great : Mughal Emperor
- Khusrau Mirza : Prince of the Mughal Empire
- Mirza Nali : Prince of the Mughal Empire
- Hyder Ali, first-class professional bowler
- Dhyan Chand - Olympic gold medalist.
- Nikhil Chopra, first-class professional bowler
- Suresh Goel, badminton champion
- Sunil Gulati - president of the United States Soccer Federation; born in Allahabad
- Abhinn Shyam Gupta, Olympic badminton player
- Mohammad Kaif - first-class batsman in Indian Cricket Team
- Ashish Kumar, holder of silver and bronze Commonwealth Games medals
- Vivek Mishra, gymnast of Asian and Commonwealth games
- Danish Mujtaba, Olympic player
- Shalabh Srivastava, first-class professional bowler
- Jyoti Yadav, first-class batsman in UP Cricket Team
- Ashish Zaidi, first-class professional bowler
- S. B. Bhattacherje. Encyclopaedia of Indian Events & Dates. p. A-282.
- Samuel E. Lo (1971). Asian who? in America. p. 75.
- "Academic Report 2010-2011" (PDF). Harish-Chandra Research Institute. Retrieved 2012-06-13.
- S. B. Bhattacherje. Encyclopaedia of Indian Events & Dates. p. A-175.
- "Raychaudhuri, Amitava: Institutional History". http://www.slac.stanford.edu/. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Pulakkat, Hari (Dec 19, 2013). "How many of us know about Breakthrough Prize winner, Ashoke Sen?". The Economic Times.
- Puppets on a String Mithu Banerji in the Observer March 23rd 2003 Guardian Unlimited accessed June 2007
- Masih, Archana (October 9, 2012). "Take a tour of Amitabh's home in Allahabad". rediff.com. Retrieved 14 Feb 2014.
- Times "Rudyard Kipling's Allahabad bungalow in shambles". June 8, 2008.
- Bhattacherje, S. B. (May 1, 2009). Encyclopaedia of Indian Events & Dates. Sterling Publishers Pvt. Ltd. pp. 138–139. Retrieved March 24, 2014.
- S. B. Bhattacherje. Encyclopaedia of Indian Events & Dates. p. A-118.
- Khan, Iqtidar (April 25, 2008). Historical Dictionary of Medieval India. Scarecrow Press. p. 121. Retrieved Nov 2, 2014.
- Mal Couch, Russell Penney An introduction to classical evangelical hemeneutics 2000 Page 118 "Kellogg taught at the seminary in Allahabad and completed a monumental grammar on the Hindi language in 1875"
- Garg, Chitra (2010). Indian Champions: Profiles of Famous Indian Sportspersons. New Delhi: Rajpal & Sons. ISBN 9788170288527. Retrieved 14 Feb 2014.