List of people from Haryana
This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: extraneous punctuation, random capitalization and bolding, honorifics, inconsistent list formatting (April 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a list of notable people from Haryana.
- 1 Academics
- 2 Arts, entertainment, and films
- 3 Journalist
- 4 Business
- 5 Military
- 6 Politicians
- 7 Revolutionaries and freedom fighters
- 8 Sports
- 9 Zaildars during British rule
- 10 References
- J.B. Chaudhary.
- Dr. Sarup Singh (1917-2003), Vice Chancellor, University of Delhi (1971-1974), Governor of Gujarat and Kerala.
- Syed Qasim Mahmood: He is Writer, Encyclopedist, Intellectual, Editor, Born (17 November 1928) Kharkhoda, Sonipat, Haryana/East Punjab.
Arts, entertainment, and films
Actors and models
- Dayachand Mayna, was an actor, songwriter, poet, singer who wrote many raagni, songs, Saang, Kissas, he was from Mayna (Rohtak)
- Satish Kaushik, born in Dhanoda Mahendergarh
- Jagat Jakhar was a Haryanvi film actor famous as hero of the Haryanvi movie Chandrawal.
- Jaideep Ahlawat, born in Village Kharkara Rohtak.
- Parul Gulati , born in Rohtak is an Indian actress who has appeared mainly in Punjabi movies
- Juhi Chawla, born in Ambala is an Indian actress who appears mainly in Bollywood films.
- Baje Bhagat, was very famous classical singer of Haryanvi Dialects.
- Mallika Sherawat, born in Rohtak is an Indian actress who appears mainly in Bollywood films.
- Manish Joshi Bismil, born in Hisar is a theatre actor, director, puppeteer and magician.
- Om Puri, born in Ambala.
- Parineeti Chopra, born in Ambala.
- Rajkummar Rao, born in Gurgaon.
- Randeep Hooda, born in Jaseya, Rohtak.
- Srishti Rana Born in Faridabad is an Indian beauty queen.
- Sunil Dutt from Mandoli in Yamuna Nagar district
- Usha Sharma - a Haryanvi film actoress famous as heroine of the Haryanvi movie Chandrawal.
- Yash Tonk, born in Sonipat.
- Yashpal Sharma (actor), born in Hisar.
- Surinder Sharma, born in Karontha, Rohtak
- Sunil Grover, born in mandi Dabwali, Sirsa.
- Parvinder Singh (Haryanvi Youtuber), Born in Charkhi Dadri
Arts & architecture
Singers & Writers
- Dayachand Mayna was a songwriter, poet, singer who wrote many raagni, songs, Saang, Kissas, he was from Mayna (Rohtak)
- Baje Bhagat was a songwriter, poet, singer who wrote many ragni, songs, he was from sisana village, sonipat.
- Gajendra Verma is a Sirsa-born composer and playback singer
- Ghulam Farid Sabri Qawwal, a leading member of the Sabri Brothers/Qawwali Group. He was born in 1930 Kalyana, Rohtak, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Jasraj Pandit Jasraj is a Hisar born classical singer of Mewati gharana style
- Lakhmi Chand, poet
- Sonu Nigam, born in Faridabad.
- Zohrabai Ambalewali (1918-1990), Born in Ambala, Indian classical singer and playback singer in Hindi cinema in the 1930s and 40s.
- Sapna Choudhary, Born in Rohtak is a Singer and Dancer.
- Baba Ramdev from Patanjali Ayurved Ltd, born in Mahendragarh.
- O.P. Jindal, Former Member of Parliament, Haryana Power Minister, Founder — Jindal Group of Companies, hailing from Hissar
- Sajjan Jindal, industrialist son of O.P. Jindal, hailing from Hisar, India.
- Subhash Chandra, Founder Zee TV, Chairman ESSEL Group.
- Sameer Gehlaut one of India’s youngest self made billionaire at just 34 years of age
- General Deepak Kapoor, Chief of the Army Staff (India) 2007–10.
- General VK Singh, Chief of the Army Staff (India) 2010–12.
- General Dalbir Singh Suhag, Chief of the Army Staff (India) 2014-2016, born in Bishan village, Jhajjar, Haryana
- Major general Rao Farman Ali Khan,born 1923 in, Rohtak, Haryana/East Punjab,(Unit: 26th Field Artillery Regiment,Pak Army). He fought World War-II, Indo-Pak war 47,65,71...
- General Vijay Kumar Singh, born in Bapora, Bhiwani.
- Hon. Captain Umrao Singh Yadav (1920–2005), born in Palra, Jhajjar, recipient of Victoria Cross (VC).
- Lt.Colonel Hoshiar Singh, born in Sisana, Sonipat, recipient of Param Vir Chakra (1971 war).
- Lieutenant Colonel Dharam Singh was born on 10 July 1910 in village Badesara, Bhiwani district, Haryana. For his gallantry he received the Maha Vir Chakra (MVC) on 8 November 1948.
- Lance Naik Hari Singh was born on 26 September 1920 in Badanpur village, Jind district, Haryana. For his gallantry he was awarded the Maha Vir Chakra (MVC) on 17 March 1948.
- Subedar Richhpal Ram (20 August 1899 – 12 February 1941), born in Barda, Mahendragarh, recipient of Victoria Cross (VC) on 4 July 1941.
- Nawabzada Liaquat Ali Khan - 1st Prime Minister of Pakistan, 1st Foreign Minister of Pakistan, 1st Defence Minister of Pakistan & 1st Finance Minister of India. He born (1 October 1895) in Karnal, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Abhimanyu Sindhu - BJP National Secretary and BJP National Spokesperson
- Arvind Kejriwal, from Hisar, Haryana, the Chief Minister of Delhi.
- Ashok Tanwar former National President of NSUI and Indian Youth Congress, Ex.MP from Sirsa and currently the president of Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee.
- Avtar Singh Bhadana born in Faridabad is a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India. He represents the Faridabad constituency of Haryana and is a prominent leader of Gurjars and a member of the Indian National Congress (INC) political party.
- B. D. Sharma, first Chief Minister of the state
- Bansi Lal, former Chief Minister of Haryana, former Railway Minister of India
- Bhajan Lal, former Chief Minister of Haryana.
- Pawan Pandit, born in bhiwani. is an Indian social and political activist and leader of Bhartiya Gau Raksha Dal & Aam Aadmi Sangathan
- Bhupinder Singh Hooda, born in rohtak. is an Indian politician and leader of the Indian National Congress who has been Chief Minister of Haryana since March 2005.
- Devi Lal, former Chief Minister of Haryana, 6th Deputy Prime Minister of India
- Mahendra Chaudhry, Former Prime Minister of Fiji
- Babu Mool Chand Jain, PWD, B&R Minister (1956), Finance Minister (1967 & 1978), Leader of the Opposition (1980-1982), Deputy Chairman Planning Board (1987-1989)
- Om Prakash Chautala Former Chief Minister of Haryana, son of Devi Lal
- Rana Muhammad Iqbal Khan__Born in Karnal, Haryana/East Punjab, 9th & 10th(current)Speaker Provincial Assembly of the Punjab.
- Rana Phool Muhammad Khan__Born in Karnal, Haryana/East Punjab, Best Politician.Founder of Phool Nagar
- Rao Birender Singh was the second chief minister of Haryana.
- Rao Hashim Khan Born in Balyali Village, Bawani Kheda tehsil, Bhiwani district, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Rao Muhammad Afzal Khan,Born in 1925 in Kalanaur, Rohtak District, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Rao Sikandar Iqbal, from Kalanaur, Haryana/East Punjab, 25th Defence Minister of Pakistan from 2002 to 2007.
- Sushma Swaraj, born in Ambala. She is a former Union Cabinet Minister of India and a former Chief Minister of Delhi. She was the country's youngest Cabinet Minister at 25 years of age (1977).
- Om Prakash Dhankar (born 1961), Haryana politician, President BJP Kisan Morcha
- Piyush Goyal (born 1964,Mumbai), From Uklana Mandi, Non resident Haryanvi politician, Power Minister in Modi Govt.
- H. R. Bhardwaj, (born 1937), former Governor of Karnataka state from 2009 to 2014 and Union Cabinet Minister of the Ministry of Law and Justice (India) from 2004 to 2009 in the cabinet of Manmohan Singh, born in Rohtak district.
Revolutionaries and freedom fighters
- Sir Chhotu Ram (1881–1945).
- Dharam Singh Hayatpur, revolutionary leader.
- Ganga Singh Gurjar, Freedom fighter of India who took active part in the Great revolt of 1857.
- Nihal Singh Takshak also former Education Inspector with Birla Institute Pilani.
- Ranbir Singh Hooda, Member of the first Constituent Assembly that framed Indian Constitution. Died 2009.
- Rao Tula Ram, revolutionary leader in 1857 revolt from Rewari district.
- Seth Chhaju Ram
- Babu Mool Chand Jain, Jailed for Individual Civil Disobedience Movement (1941), Quit India Movement (1942).
- Dinesh Kumar, born in Bhiwani.
- Jagdish Singh, born in Bhiwani.
- Manoj Kumar, born in Rajound, Kaithal district.
- Vijender Singh, born in Bhiwani.
- Vikas Krishan Yadav, born in Singhwa Khas, Hisar district.
- Virender Sehwag, born in Jhajjar District
- Ajay Ratra, born in Faridabad.
- Amit Mishra
- Ashish Nehra
- Barinder Sran
- Chetan Sharma
- Joginder Sharma, born in Rohtak.
- Joginder Rao, born in Gurgaon.
- Kapil Dev, born in Haryana.
- Manvinder Bisla
- Mohit Sharma
- Nitin Saini
- Yuzvendra Chahal
- Jasjeet Kaur Handa.
- Mamta Kharab, born in Rohtak.
- Pritam Rani Siwach, born in Jharsa, Gurgaon.
- Sandeep Singh
- Sardara Singh
- Sita Gussain
- Suman Bala, born in Shahbad Markanda.
- Surinder, born in Shahbad.
- Savita Punia , Born In Jodhkan,Sirsa(Hr.)In 11 June 1990
- Ramesh Kumar (born 1976),Arjuna Award (2005)
- Anup Kumar (born 1983, Palra, Gurugram district), Arjuna Award (2012)
- Sunil Dabas (born Mohammadpur Majra village, Jhajjar district) coach national female Kabbadi team, Dronacharya Award (2012), Padma Shri (2014)
- Balwant Singh Sagwal, born in Kaul, Kaithal district.
- Dalel Singh Ror, born in Amin, Kurukshetra.
- Yogeshwar Dutt
- Chandgi Ram, born in Sisai, Hisar district.
- Sakshi Malik.
- Geeta Phogat, born in Bhiwani.
- Lila Ram, born in Mandola, Bhiwani district
- Suman Kundu, born in Kalwa, Jind.
Zaildars during British rule
- "JB Choudhary - Padma Shri award winner". JAT Indian Jat Community. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Dr. Sarup Singh Governor of Gujarat Profile Governor of Gujarat Official website.
- "Parineeti Chopra: Who is she?". India Today. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Subhash K. Jha (8 September 2006). "Yashpal Sharma turns a good guy on screen". Bollywood Hungama.
- "President Profile". Haryana State Pharmacy Council. Archived from the original on 29 May 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "A garden with a rare fragrance - Rock Garden, Chandigarh". India Video. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Ghulam Farid Sabri remembered
- "Sonu Nigam". Indya Rocks. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Zohrabai, Amirbai and Rajkumari". Women on Record. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "Swami Ramdev - A Biography". Yog Pranayam. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Rao Farman Ali passes away - Newspaper - DAWN.COM
- "Hemu’s coronation day observed". The Tribune, Chandigarh, Haryana, India. 10 October 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Army Chief Gen V K Singh to retire tomorrow". The Indian Express. 30 May 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Major Hoshiar Singh". Bharat Rakshak. Archived from the original on 22 November 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- [permanent dead link]
- "Babu Mool Chand Jain".
- "Member of Parliament-Lok Sabha". Archived from the original on 2015-09-24.
- "Haryana Vidhan Sabha History: Who's Who in 1977 (Page 98) pdf" (PDF).
- Amar Ujala Bureau, Amar Ujala, 21 August 1999 "Desh ke liye Sarvasva Samarpit kar diya Babuji ne (In Hindi)"
- Punjab Assembly
- [permanent dead link]
- Rao Sikandar Iqbal dies - Newspaper - DAWN.COM
- "BJP Kisan Morcha to hold two-day national executive meet". Zee News. 5 June 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- "Dinesh Kumar". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Mohan, Raman (30 August 2007). "BBC: Cradle of champions". Chandigarh: The Tribune. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Sharma, Nitin (1 September 2010). "Manoj only new face in boxing". Indian Express. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Jayaram, Rahul (31 August 2008). "If I fight again I’ll beat him for sure ... I won't make the same mistakes again". Kolkata: The Telegraph. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Vikas Krishan - Biography". International Boxing Association. Archived from the original on 8 October 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "India / Players / Ajay Ratra". ESPN cricinfo. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Haryana to give best sportsperson award to Sehwag, Nehra". The Times Of India. 3 April 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Joginder Sharma". Playr. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "India / Players / Joginder Rao". ESPN cricinfo. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Kapil Dev — Player Webpage". Cricinfo. Retrieved 2007-03-17.
- "Hockey". Shree Haryana Seva Samiti. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Mukesh Thapliyal (28 November 2011). "Mamta Kharab to lead India in four nationâ??s hockey tournament". News Track India. Archived from the original on 20 November 2008. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Preetam Rani Sivach". Bharatiya Hockey. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Haryana clinches gold". Sportstar. 24. 15–21 December 2001. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Suman Bala Saini". Bharatiya Hockey. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Surinder Kaur to lead Indian women Hockey squad". Punjab Newsline. Archived from the original on 18 August 2010. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Shahid Judge (24 August 2014). "Raiders of the lost art: Pro Kabaddi’s TV success in has been refreshingly unexpected". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- Sunit Dhawan (27 August 2012). "No substitute for hard work, says Dronacharya awardee". The Tribune (Chandigarh). Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- "This Woman Scaled Mt. Everest Twice in One Year!". iDiva. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- BALLU (PDF). Volleyball India. p. 1.[dead link]
- "DALEL SINGH ROR VIDEO | INTERVIEWS". OVGuide. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Asian games medallist Chandgi Ram passes away". Hindustan Times. 20 June 2010. Archived from the original on 7 January 2011. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "SAKSHI MALIK: BIOGRAPHY". Commonwealth Games Federation. Archived from the original on 1 August 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Wrestler Geeta dedicates gold medal to dad". rediff.com. 7 October 2010. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Wrestlers pay tribute to Padma Shri Lila Ram". Chandigarh: The Tribune. 12 October 2003. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Saini, Manvir (9 October 2010). "Medallist's mother had no television to watch her play". The Times Of India. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- History of Hisar: From Inception to Independence, 1935-1947, pp 312, M. M. Juneja, Published by Modern Book Co., 1989