List of people from Haryana
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. The specific problem is: extraneous punctuation, random capitalization and bolding, honorifics, inconsistent list formatting. (April 2012)|
|Regions with significant populations|
Primary populations in:Haryana
|Hinduism & Sikhism
Minorities of Islam, Buddhism & Jainism
This is a list of notable people from Haryana, also referred as Haryanvi.
- 1 Military chiefs
- 2 Academics
- 3 Arts, entertainment, and films
- 4 Business
- 5 Military
- 6 Politicians
- 7 Revolutionaries and freedom fighters
- 8 Sports
- 9 Zaildars during British rule
- 10 References
- Dr. Sarup Singh (1917-2003), Vice Chancellor, University of Delhi (1971-1974), Governor of Gujarat and Kerala.
- Syed Qasim Mahmood: He is Writer, Encyclopedist, Intellectual, Editor, Born (17 November 1928) Kharkhoda, Sonipat, Haryana/East Punjab.
Arts, entertainment, and films
Actors and models
- Ankur Verma born in Rohtak.
- Jagat Jakhar was a Haryanvi film actor famous as hero of the Haryanvi movie Chandrawal.
- Jaideep Ahlawat, born in Village Kharkara Rohtak.
- Juhi Chawla, born in Ambala is an Indian actress who appears mainly in Bollywood films.
- Lakhmi Chand was a poet, actor, director of Haryanvi Raagni and Swang
- Mallika Sherawat, born in Rohtak is an Indian actress who appears mainly in Bollywood films.
- Manish Joshi Bismil, born in Hisar is a theatre actor, director, puppeteer and magician.
- Mohit Ahlawat, born in Panipat.
- Om Puri, born in Ambala.
- Parineeti Chopra, born in Ambala.
- Rajkummar Rao, born in Gurgaon.
- Randeep Hooda, born in Jaseya, Rohtak.
- Srishti Rana Born in Faridabad is an Indian beauty queen.
- Sunil Dutt from Mandoli in Yamuna Nagar district
- Usha Sharma - a Haryanvi film actoress famous as heroine of the Haryanvi movie Chandrawal.
- Yash Tonk, born in Sonipat.
- Yashpal Sharma (actor), born in Hisar.
Arts & architecture
- Baje Bhagat was a swang writer, poet, singer who wrote many ragni, swangs, he was from sisana village, sonipat.
- Gajendra Verma is a Sirsa-born composer and playback singer
- Ghulam Farid Sabri Qawwal, a leading member of the Sabri Brothers/Qawwali Group. He Born in 1930 Kalyana, Rohtak, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Jasraj Pandit Jasraj is a Hisar born classical singer of Mewati gharana style
- Lakhmi Chand was a poet, actor, director of Haryanvi Raagni and Swang
- Sonu Nigam, born in Faridabad.
- Zohrabai Ambalewali (1918-1990), Born in Ambala, Indian classical singer and playback singer in Hindi cinema in the 1930s and 40s.
- Rajender Sanga, M.D. SANGA ENERGY PVT. LTD, hailing from ROHTAK
- Cheti Lal Verma (1921-2000) was an industrialist from Haryana, India, owner of Continental Construction Ltd.
- Om Prakash O.P. Jindal, Former Member of Parliament, Haryana Power Minister, Founder — Jindal Group of Companies, hailing from Hissar
- Sajjan Jindal, industrialist son of O.P. Jindal, hailing from Hisar, India.
- Sameer Gehlaut one of India’s youngest self made billionaire at just 34 years of age
- Subhash Chandra, Founder Zee TV, Chairman ESSEL Group.
- Vinay Vohra, Founder and CEO, CorporateServe Solutions.
- Major general Rao Farman Ali Khan,born 1923 in, Rohtak, Haryana/East Punjab,(Unit: 26th Field Artillery Regiment,Pak Army). He fought World War-II, Indo-Pak war 47,65,71...
- General Vijay Kumar Singh, born in Bapora, Bhiwani.
- Hon. Captain Umrao Singh Yadav (1920–2005), born in Palra, Jhajjar, recipient of Victoria Cross (VC).
- Lt.Colonel Hoshiar Singh, born in Sisana, Sonipat, recipient of Param Vir Chakra (1971 war).
- Lieutenant Colonel Dharam Singh was born on 10 July 1910 in village Badesara, Bhiwani district, Haryana. For his gallantry he received the Maha Vir Chakra (MVC) on 8 November 1948.
- Lance Naik Hari Singh was born on 26 September 1920 in Badanpur village, Jind district, Haryana. For his gallantry he was awarded the Maha Vir Chakra (MVC) on 17 March 1948.
- Subedar Richhpal Ram (August 20, 1899 – February 12, 1941), born in Barda, Mahendragarh, recipient of Victoria Cross (VC)on on 4 July 1941.
- General Dalbir Singh Suhag, Army chief of India is from Bishan village Jhajjar Disst Haryana
Shaeed Naik Shyam Singh Dahiya in kargil war from Nilauthi village Disst. Jhajjar haryana
- Abhimanyu Sindhu - BJP National Secretary and BJP National Spokesperson
- Arvind Kejriwal, from Hisar, Haryana, the Chief Minister of Delhi.
- Ashok Tanwar former National President of NSUI and Indian Youth Congress, Ex.MP from Sirsa and currently the president of Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee.
- Avtar Singh Bhadana born in Faridabad is a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India. He represents the Faridabad constituency of Haryana and is a prominent leader of Gurjars and a member of the Indian National Congress (INC) political party.
- B. D. Sharma, first Chief Minister of the state
- Bansi Lal, former Chief Minister of Haryana, former Railway Minister of India
- Bhajan Lal, former Chief Minister of Haryana.
- Bhupinder Singh Hooda, born in rohtak. is an Indian politician and leader of the Indian National Congress who has been Chief Minister of Haryana since March 2005.
- Devi Lal, former Chief Minister of Haryana, 6th Deputy Prime Minister of India
- Mahendra Chaudhry, Former Prime Minister of Fiji
- Nawabzada Liaquat Ali Khan, First Prime Minister of Pakistan, First Defence Minister of Pakistan, First Finance Minister of India. He born (1 October 1895) in Karnal, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Om Prakash Chautala Former Chief Minister of Haryana, son of Devi Lal
- Rana Muhammad Iqbal Khan__Born in Karnal, Haryana/East Punjab, 9th & 10th(current)Speaker Provincial Assembly of the Punjab.
- Rana Phool Muhammad Khan__Born in Karnal, Haryana/East Punjab, Best Politician.Founder of Phool Nagar
- Rao Birender Singh was the second chief minister of Haryana.
- Rao Hashim Khan Born in Balyali Village, Bawani Kheda tehsil, Bhiwani district, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Rao Muhammad Afzal Khan,Born in 1925 in Kalanaur, Rohtak District, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Rao Sikandar Iqbal,from Kalanaur, Haryana/East Punjab, 25th Defence Minister of Pakistan from 2002 to 2007.
- Sushma Swaraj,She was born in Palwal.She is a former Union Cabinet Minister of India and a former Chief Minister of Delhi. She was country's youngest Cabinet Minister at 25 years of age (1977).
- Om Prakash Dhankar (born 1961), Haryana politician, President BJP Kisan Morcha
Revolutionaries and freedom fighters
- Sir Chhotu Ram (1881–1945).
- Dharam Singh Hayatpur, revolutionary leader.
- Ganga Singh Gurjar, Freedom fighter of India who took active part in the Great revolt of 1857.
- Nihal Singh Takshak also former Education Inspector with Birla Institute Pilani.
- Ranbir Singh Hooda, Member of the first Constituent Assembly that framed Indian Constitution. Died 2009.
- Rao Tula Ram, revolutionary leader in 1857 revolt from Rewari district.
- Seth Chhaju Ram
- Dinesh Kumar, born in Bhiwani.
- Jagdish Singh, born in Bhiwani.
- Manoj Kumar, born in Rajound, Kaithal district.
- Vijender Singh, born in Bhiwani.
- Vikas Krishan Yadav, born in Singhwa Khas, Hisar district.
- Ajay Ratra, born in Faridabad.
- Amit Mishra
- Ashish Nehra
- Chetan Sharma
- Joginder Sharma, born in Rohtak.
- Joginder Rao, born in Gurgaon.
- Kapil Dev, born in Haryana.
- Manvinder Bisla
- Mohit Sharma
- Nitin Saini
- Virender Sehwag
- Jasjeet Kaur Handa.
- Mamta Kharab, born in Rohtak.
- Pritam Rani Siwach, born in Jharsa, Gurgaon.
- Sandeep Singh Saini
- Sita Gussain
- Suman Bala, born in Shahbad Markanda.
- Surinder, born in Shahbad.
- Savita Punia , Born In Jodhkan,Sirsa(Hr.)In June 11, 1990
Ashish Sangwan Born in hissar Sumer Singh Born in sonipat
- Anup Kumar (born 1983, Palra, Gurgaon district), Arjuna Award (2012)
- Sunil Dabas (born Mohammadpur Majra village, Jhajjar district) coach national female Kabbadi team, Dronacharya Award (2012), Padma Shri (2014)
- Balwant Singh Sagwal, born in Kaul, Kaithal district.
- Dalel Singh Ror, born in Amin, Kurukshetra.
- Yogeshwar Dutt
- Chandgi Ram, born in Sisai, Hisar district.
- Geeta Phogat, born in Bhiwani.
- Lila Ram, born in Mandola, Bhiwani district
- Suman Kundu, born in Kalwa, Jind.
Zaildars during British rule
- Dr. Sarup Singh Governor of Gujarat Profile Governor of Gujarat Official website.
- "Parineeti Chopra: Who is she?". India Today. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Subhash K. Jha (September 8, 2006). "Yashpal Sharma turns a good guy on screen". Bollywood Hungama.
- "A garden with a rare fragrance - Rock Garden, Chandigarh". India Video. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "President Profile". Haryana State Pharmacy Council. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Sonu Nigam". Indya Rocks. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Zohrabai, Amirbai and Rajkumari". Women on Record. Retrieved 2014-05-16.
- "JB Choudhary - Padma Shri award winner". JAT Indian Jat Community. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Swami Ramdev - A Biography". Yog Pranayam. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Hemu’s coronation day observed". The Tribune, Chandigarh, Haryana, India. 10 October 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Army Chief Gen V K Singh to retire tomorrow". The Indian Express. 30 May 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Major Hoshiar Singh". Bharat Rakshak. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "BJP Kisan Morcha to hold two-day national executive meet". Zee News. June 5, 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- "Profile: Saina Nehwal". Badminton Association of India. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Dinesh Kumar". sports-reference.com. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Mohan, Raman (30 August 2007). "BBC: Cradle of champions". Chandigarh: The Tribune. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Sharma, Nitin (1 September 2010). "Manoj only new face in boxing". Indian Express. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Jayaram, Rahul (31 August 2008). "If I fight again I’ll beat him for sure ... I won't make the same mistakes again". Kolkata: The Telegraph. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Vikas Krishan - Biography". International Boxing Association. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "India / Players / Ajay Ratra". ESPN cricinfo. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Haryana to give best sportsperson award to Sehwag, Nehra". The Times Of India. 3 April 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Joginder Sharma". Playr. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "India / Players / Joginder Rao". ESPN cricinfo. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Kapil Dev — Player Webpage". Cricinfo. Retrieved 2007-03-17.
- "Hockey". Shree Haryana Seva Samiti. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Mukesh Thapliyal (28 November 2011). "Mamta Kharab to lead India in four nationâ??s hockey tournament". News Track India. Retrieved 1 July 2012.[dead link]
- "Preetam Rani Sivach". Bharatiya Hockey. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Haryana clinches gold". Sportstar 24. 15–21 December 2001. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Suman Bala Saini". Bharatiya Hockey. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Surinder Kaur to lead Indian women Hockey squad". Punjab Newsline. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Shahid Judge (August 24, 2014). "Raiders of the lost art: Pro Kabaddi’s TV success in has been refreshingly unexpected". The Indian Express. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- Sunit Dhawan (August 27, 2012). "No substitute for hard work, says Dronacharya awardee". The Tribune (Chandigarh). Retrieved 2014-08-30.
- "This Woman Scaled Mt. Everest Twice in One Year!". iDiva. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- http://www.volleyballindia.com/VFI%20SITE%20OLD/FLASH%20NEWS/Ballu.pdf (PDF). Volleyball India. p. 1.
- "DALEL SINGH ROR VIDEO | INTERVIEWS". OVGuide. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Asian games medallist Chandgi Ram passes away". Hindustan Times. 20 June 2010. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Wrestler Geeta dedicates gold medal to dad". rediff.com. 7 October 2010. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Wrestlers pay tribute to Padma Shri Lila Ram". Chandigarh: The Tribune. 12 October 2003. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Saini, Manvir (9 October 2010). "Medallist's mother had no television to watch her play". The Times Of India. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- History of Hisar: From Inception to Independence, 1935-1947, pp 312, M. M. Juneja, Published by Modern Book Co., 1989