List of people from Haryana
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a list of notable people from Haryana.
- Dr. Sarup Singh (1917-2003), Vice Chancellor, University of Delhi (1971-1974), Governor of Gujarat and Kerala.
- Dr. Brijendra Kumar Rao, Padma Bhushan, former chairman of Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, New Delhi and member of Medical Council of India
- J.B. Chaudhary.
- Dayachand Mayna
- Preeti Singh
- Murari Lal Sharma (Neeras)
- Pandit Lakhmi Chand, Surya Kavi Of Haryana
- Ram Swarup
Arts, entertainment, and films
Actors and models
- Manushi Chhillar, is an Indian model from Sonipat and beauty pageant titleholder who was crowned Miss World 2017
- Dayachand Mayna, was an actor, songwriter, poet, singer who wrote many raagni, songs, Saang, Kissas, he was from Mayna (Rohtak)
- Satish Kaushik, born in Dhanoda Mahendergarh
- Jagat Jakhar was a Haryanvi film actor famous as hero of the Haryanvi movie Chandrawal.
- Jaideep Ahlawat, born in Village Kharkara Rohtak.
- Parul Gulati , born in Rohtak is an Indian actress who has appeared mainly in Punjabi movies
- Juhi Chawla, born in Ambala is an Indian actress who appears mainly in Bollywood films.
- Baje Bhagat, was very famous classical singer of Haryanvi Dialects.
- Mallika Sherawat, born in Rohtak is an Indian actress who appears mainly in Bollywood films.
- Manish Joshi Bismil, born in Hisar is a theatre actor, director, puppeteer and magician.
- Om Puri, born in Ambala.
- Parineeti Chopra, born in Ambala.
- Rajkummar Rao, born in Gurgaon.
- Randeep Hooda, born in Jaseya, Rohtak.
- Srishti Rana Born in Faridabad is an Indian beauty queen.
- Sunil Dutt from Mandoli in Yamuna Nagar district
- Usha Sharma - a Haryanvi film actress famous as heroine of the Haryanvi movie Chandrawal.
- Yash Tonk, born in Sonipat.
- Yashpal Sharma (actor), born in Hisar.
- Mohit Ahlawat (actor)
- Elvish Yadav (Youtuber)
- Sunil Grover, born in mandi Dabwali, Sirsa.
- Parvinder Singh (Haryanvi Youtuber), Born in Charkhi Dadri
- Vijay Yadav (stand up comedian)
Arts and architecture
Singers and writers
- Dayachand Mayna was a songwriter, poet, singer who wrote many raagni, songs, Saang, Kissas, he was from Mayna (Rohtak)
- Baje Bhagat was a songwriter, poet, singer who wrote many ragni, songs, he was from sisana village, sonipat.
- Gajendra Verma is a Sirsa-born composer and playback singer
- Ghulam Farid Sabri Qawwal, a leading member of the Sabri Brothers/Qawwali Group. He was born in 1930 Kalyana, Rohtak, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Pandit Jasraj is a Hisar born classical singer of Mewati gharana style
- Pandit Lakhmi Chand, Surya Kavi Of Haryana
- Sonu Nigam, born in Faridabad.
- Zohrabai Ambalewali (1918-1990), Born in Ambala, Indian classical singer and playback singer in Hindi cinema in the 1930s and 40s.
- Gajendra Phogat, born in Rohtak
- Lalit Pandit, bollywood composer
- Jatin Pandit, bollywood composer
- Joginder Mor
- Alhar Bikaneri
- Sardar Anjum
- Baje Bhagat
- Lakhmi Chand
- Fauji Mehar Singh
- Hari Singh Dilbar
- Altaf Hussain Hali
- Uday Bhanu Hans
- Dayachand Mayna
- Ghulam Bhik Nairang
- Murari Lal Sharma (Neeras)
- Samartha Vashishtha
- Sajida Zaidi
- Kashmiri Lal Zakir
- Baba Ramdev from Patanjali Ayurved Ltd, born in Mahendragarh.
- O.P. Jindal, Former Member of Parliament, Haryana Power Minister, Founder — Jindal Group of Companies, hailing from Hissar
- Sajjan Jindal, industrialist son of O.P. Jindal, hailing from Hisar, India.
- Subhash Chandra, Founder Zee TV, Chairman ESSEL Group.
- Sameer Gehlaut one of India's youngest self-made billionaire at just 34 years of age
- Naveen Jindal Former Member of Parliament & Chairman of Jindal Steel and Power Limited.
- Savitri Jindal Former Minister, Haryana Government & Chairman OP Jindal Group.
- Adityavardhana, King of Thanesar
- Anangpal Tomar, king of Tomara dynasty
- Harsha, king of North India
- Hemu Bhargav, King of Delhi
- Prabhakaravardhana, king of North India
- Rajyavardhana, king of North India
- General Deepak Kapoor, Chief of the Army Staff (India) 2007–10.
- General VK Singh, Chief of the Army Staff (India) 2010–12.
- General Dalbir Singh Suhag, Chief of the Army Staff (India) 2014-2016, born in Bishan village, Jhajjar, Haryana
- Major general Rao Farman Ali Khan, born 1923 in, Rohtak, Haryana/East Punjab,(Unit: 26th Field Artillery Regiment, Pak Army). He fought World War-II, Indo-Pak war 47,65,71 ...
- General Vijay Kumar Singh, born in Bapora, Bhiwani.
- Hon. Captain Umrao Singh Yadav (1920–2005), born in Palra, Jhajjar, recipient of Victoria Cross (VC).
- Lt.Colonel Hoshiar Singh, born in Sisana, Sonipat, recipient of Param Vir Chakra (1971 war).
- Lieutenant Colonel Dharam Singh was born on 10 July 1910 in village Badesara, Bhiwani district, Haryana. For his gallantry he received the Maha Vir Chakra (MVC) on 8 November 1948.
- Lance Naik Hari Singh was born on 26 September 1920 in Badanpur village, Jind district, Haryana. For his gallantry he was awarded the Maha Vir Chakra (MVC) on 17 March 1948.
- Subedar Richhpal Ram (20 August 1899 – 12 February 1941), born in Barda, Mahendragarh, recipient of Victoria Cross (VC) on 4 July 1941.
- Babru Bhan Yadav (14 September 1928 – 22 January 2010), Indian Navy commander, recipient of Maha Vir Chakra in 1971.
- Major Mohit Sharma (Ashok Chakra winner 2009)
- Nawabzada Liaquat Ali Khan - 1st Prime Minister of Pakistan, 1st Foreign Minister of Pakistan, 1st Defence Minister of Pakistan & 1st Finance Minister of India. He born (1 October 1895) in Karnal, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Abhimanyu Sindhu - BJP National Secretary and BJP National Spokesperson
- Arvind Kejriwal, from Hisar, Haryana, the Chief Minister of Delhi.
- Ashok Tanwar former National President of NSUI and Indian Youth Congress, Ex.MP from Sirsa and currently the president of Haryana Pradesh Congress Committee.
- Avtar Singh Bhadana born in Faridabad is a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India. He represents the Faridabad constituency of Haryana and is a prominent leader of Gurjars and a member of the Indian National Congress (INC) political party.
- B. D. Sharma, first Chief Minister of the state
- Bansi Lal, former Chief Minister of Haryana, former Railway Minister of India
- Bhajan Lal, former Chief Minister of Haryana.
- Bhupinder Singh Hooda, born in rohtak. is an Indian politician and leader of the Indian National Congress who has been Chief Minister of Haryana since March 2005.
- Chaudhary Khurshid Ahmed (born 1934), lawyer in the Supreme Court of India and a politician who has served as the Member of Parliament from Faridabad, Haryana.
- Devi Lal, former Chief Minister of Haryana, 6th Deputy Prime Minister of India
- Dinesh Kaushik (born 1960), Member of Legislative Assembly from Pundri, Haryana and social activist.
- Babu Mool Chand Jain, PWD, B&R Minister (1956), Finance Minister (1967 & 1978), Leader of the Opposition (1980-1982), Deputy Chairman Planning Board (1987-1989)
- Om Prakash Chautala Former Chief Minister of Haryana, son of Devi Lal
- Rana Muhammad Iqbal Khan__Born in Karnal, Haryana/East Punjab, 9th & 10th(current)Speaker Provincial Assembly of the Punjab.
- Rana Phool Muhammad Khan__Born in Karnal, Haryana/East Punjab, Best Politician.Founder of Phool Nagar
- Rao Birender Singh was the second chief minister of Haryana.
- Rao Hashim Khan Born in Balyali Village, Bawani Kheda tehsil, Bhiwani district, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Rao Muhammad Afzal Khan, Born in 1925 in Kalanaur, Rohtak District, Haryana/East Punjab.
- Rao Sikandar Iqbal, from Kalanaur, Haryana/East Punjab, 25th Defence Minister of Pakistan from 2002 to 2007.
- Sushma Swaraj, born in Ambala. She is a former Union Cabinet Minister of India and a former Chief Minister of Delhi. She was the country's youngest Cabinet Minister at 25 years of age (1977).
- Om Prakash Dhankar (born 1961), Haryana politician, President BJP Kisan Morcha
- H. R. Bhardwaj, (born 1937), former Governor of Karnataka state from 2009 to 2014 and Union Cabinet Minister of the Ministry of Law and Justice (India) from 2004 to 2009 in the cabinet of Manmohan Singh, born in Rohtak district.
- D.P. Vats, Politician from Haryana.
- Ram Bilas Sharma (politician)
Revolutionaries and freedom fighters
- Sir Chhotu Ram (1881–1945).
- Deshbandhu Gupta (1901-1951), independence campaigner
- Dharam Singh Hayatpur, revolutionary leader.
- Ganga Singh Gurjar, Freedom fighter of India who took active part in the Great revolt of 1857.
- Nihal Singh Takshak also former Education Inspector with Birla Institute Pilani.
- Ranbir Singh Hooda, Member of the first Constituent Assembly that framed Indian Constitution. Died 2009.
- Rao Tula Ram, revolutionary leader in 1857 revolt from Rewari district.
- Seth Chhaju Ram
- Babu Mool Chand Jain, Jailed for Individual Civil Disobedience Movement (1941), Quit India Movement (1942).
- Pandit Neki Ram Sharma, Freedom fighter and Haryana Kesari
- Dinesh Kumar, born in Bhiwani.
- Jagdish Singh, born in Bhiwani.
- Manoj Kumar, born in Rajound, Kaithal district.
- Vijender Singh, born in Bhiwani.
- Vikas Krishan Yadav, born in Singhwa Khas, Hisar district.
- Manish Kaushik, born in Bhiwani
- Virender Sehwag, born in Jhajjar District
- Ajay Ratra, born in Faridabad.
- Amit Mishra
- Ashish Nehra
- Barinder Sran
- Chetan Sharma
- Joginder Sharma, born in Rohtak.
- Joginder Rao, born in Gurgaon.
- Kapil Dev, born in Haryana.
- Manvinder Bisla
- Mohit Sharma
- Nitin Saini
- Yuzvendra Chahal
- Jasjeet Kaur Handa.
- Mamta Kharab, born in Rohtak.
- Pritam Rani Siwach, born in Jharsa, Gurgaon.
- Sandeep Singh
- Sardara Singh
- Sita Gussain
- Suman Bala, born in Shahbad Markanda.
- Surinder, born in Shahbad.
- Savita Punia, Born In Jodhkan, Sirsa(Hr.) In 11 June 1990
- Ramesh Kumar (born 1976), Arjuna Award (2005)
- Anup Kumar (born 1983, Palra, Gurugram district), Arjuna Award (2012)
- Sunil Dabas (born Mohammadpur Majra village, Jhajjar district) coach national female Kabbadi team, Dronacharya Award (2012), Padma Shri (2014)
- Balwant Singh (volleyball), born in Kaul, Kaithal district.
- Dalel Singh Ror, born in Amin, Kurukshetra.
- Yogeshwar Dutt
- Chandgi Ram, born in Sisai, Hisar district.
- Sakshi Malik.
- Geeta Phogat, born in Bhiwani.
- Lila Ram, born in Mandola, Bhiwani district
- Suman Kundu, born in Kalwa, Jind.
Zaildars during British rule
- Dr. Sarup Singh Governor of Gujarat Profile Governor of Gujarat Official website.
- "JB Choudhary - Padma Shri award winner". JAT Indian Jat Community. Archived from the original on 8 September 2014. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Parineeti Chopra: Who is she?". India Today. 11 April 2012. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- Subhash K. Jha (8 September 2006). "Yashpal Sharma turns a good guy on screen". Bollywood Hungama.
- "President Profile". Haryana State Pharmacy Council. Archived from the original on 29 May 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "A garden with a rare fragrance - Rock Garden, Chandigarh". India Video. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Ghulam Farid Sabri remembered". Archived from the original on 23 February 2014. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- "Sonu Nigam". Indya Rocks. Archived from the original on 13 May 2008. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Zohrabai, Amirbai and Rajkumari". Women on Record. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Gajender Phogat".
- "Swami Ramdev - A Biography". Yog Pranayam. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Rao Farman Ali passes away - Newspaper - DAWN.COM
- "Hemu's coronation day observed". The Tribune, Chandigarh, Haryana, India. 10 October 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Army Chief Gen V K Singh to retire tomorrow". The Indian Express. 30 May 2012. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Major Hoshiar Singh". Bharat Rakshak. Archived from the original on 22 November 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Babu Mool Chand Jain". Archived from the original on 13 November 2018. Retrieved 11 March 2020.
- "Member of Parliament-Lok Sabha". Archived from the original on 24 September 2015.
- "Haryana Vidhan Sabha History: Who's Who in 1977 (Page 98) pdf" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 August 2015. Retrieved 2 August 2015.
- Amar Ujala Bureau, Amar Ujala, 21 August 1999 "Desh ke liye Sarvasva Samarpit kar diya Babuji ne (In Hindi)"
- "Punjab Assembly". Archived from the original on 11 January 2016. Retrieved 3 February 2014.
- Rao Sikandar Iqbal dies - Newspaper - DAWN.COM
- "BJP Kisan Morcha to hold two-day national executive meet". Zee News. 5 June 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Dinesh Kumar". sports-reference.com. Archived from the original on 18 April 2020. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Mohan, Raman (30 August 2007). "BBC: Cradle of champions". Chandigarh: The Tribune. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Sharma, Nitin (1 September 2010). "Manoj only new face in boxing". Indian Express. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- Jayaram, Rahul (31 August 2008). "If I fight again I'll beat him for sure ... I won't make the same mistakes again". Kolkata: The Telegraph. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Vikas Krishan - Biography". International Boxing Association. Archived from the original on 8 October 2011. Retrieved 20 June 2012.
- "India / Players / Ajay Ratra". ESPN cricinfo. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Haryana to give best sportsperson award to Sehwag, Nehra". The Times Of India. 3 April 2011. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Joginder Sharma". Playr. Retrieved 1 July 2012.[permanent dead link]
- "India / Players / Joginder Rao". ESPN cricinfo. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Kapil Dev — Player Webpage". Cricinfo. Retrieved 17 March 2007.
- "Hockey". Shree Haryana Seva Samiti. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Mukesh Thapliyal (28 November 2011). "Mamta Kharab to lead India in four nationâ??s hockey tournament". News Track India. Archived from the original on 20 November 2008. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Preetam Rani Sivach". Bharatiya Hockey. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Haryana clinches gold". Sportstar. 24. 15–21 December 2001. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Suman Bala Saini". Bharatiya Hockey. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Surinder Kaur to lead Indian women Hockey squad". Punjab Newsline. Archived from the original on 18 August 2010. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- Shahid Judge (24 August 2014). "Raiders of the lost art: Pro Kabaddi's TV success in has been refreshingly unexpected". The Indian Express. Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- Sunit Dhawan (27 August 2012). "No substitute for hard work, says Dronacharya awardee". The Tribune (Chandigarh). Retrieved 30 August 2014.
- "This Woman Scaled Mt. Everest Twice in One Year!". iDiva. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- BALLU (PDF). Volleyball India. p. 1.[dead link]
- "DALEL SINGH ROR VIDEO | INTERVIEWS". OVGuide. Archived from the original on 8 September 2014. Retrieved 1 July 2012.
- "Asian games medallist Chandgi Ram passes away". Hindustan Times. 20 June 2010. Archived from the original on 7 January 2011. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "SAKSHI MALIK: BIOGRAPHY". Commonwealth Games Federation. Archived from the original on 1 August 2016. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Wrestler Geeta dedicates gold medal to dad". rediff.com. 7 October 2010. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- "Wrestlers pay tribute to Padma Shri Lila Ram". Chandigarh: The Tribune. 12 October 2003. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- Saini, Manvir (9 October 2010). "Medallist's mother had no television to watch her play". The Times Of India. Retrieved 19 June 2012.
- History of Hisar: From Inception to Independence, 1935-1947, pp 312, M. M. Juneja, Published by Modern Book Co., 1989