List of people from Karnataka
This is a list of famous and notable people from Karnataka, India. In order to be included, a person of influence needs only to have been born in Karnataka. This article can be expanded to accommodate newly surfacing information.
- 1 Arts and entertainment
- 1.1 Cinema
- 1.2 Theatre
- 1.3 Ancient Architecture & Sculpture
- 1.4 Modern Art, Contemporary Art - Painting, Sculpture, Puppetry, New Media Art & Art Criticism
- 1.5 Music
- 1.6 Dance
- 1.7 Fashion
- 2 Great Kings and Nobles
- 3 Industrialists & Business People
- 4 Health care
- 5 Science and technology
- 6 Literature
- 7 Politicians
- 8 Bureaucrats
- 9 Cooperative movement
- 10 Religion and philosophy
- 11 Yoga
- 12 Wildlife and Environment
- 13 Historians, Art Historians, Epigraphists and Archaeologists
- 14 Social Service
- 15 Sports
- 16 Military
- 17 Judiciary
- 18 Award Winners
- 19 CROSSWORD Writer
- 20 Others
- 21 See also
- 22 References
Arts and entertainment
Ancient Architecture & Sculpture
Modern Art, Contemporary Art - Painting, Sculpture, Puppetry, New Media Art & Art Criticism
Classical Music - Carnatic
Classical Music - Hindustani
- Maya Rao (1928-2014) Kathak Guru and founder Natya Institute of Kathak and Choreography (NIKC), Bangalore 
Great Kings and Nobles
Industrialists & Business People
- Dr. Devi Prasad Shetty, Cardiovascular Surgeon.
- Dr. M. C. Modi, Eye Surgeon.
- Dr. C. N. Manjunath - Cardiologist
- Dr. Sharan Patil, Orthopaedic Surgeon.
- Dr. Y. G. Parameshwara
Science and technology
- C. N. R. Rao, Chemistry.
- C. R. Rao, Statistics.
- M. C. Modi, Ophthalmology.
- Narayan Hosmane, Biochemistry, Cancer Research.
- Raja Ramanna, Physics.
- Roddam Narasimha, Aerospace, Atmospheric Sciences.
- U. R. Rao, Space Science.
- M.L. Kulkarni - pediatrician
- B. N. Suresh
- S. K. Shivkumar
- K. N. Shankara
- S. G. Balekundri
- Nandan Nilekani
- Sudha Murthy
- Vivek Kulkarni
- Narayan Hosmane
- Gururaj Deshpande
- Arun Netravali, Bell Lab.
- Kumar Malavalli, Co-founder, Brocade Communication Systems.
- Sir M. Visvesvaraya.
- Poornachandra Tejaswi
- P. T. Narasimhachar
- R. C. Hiremath
- R. K. Narayan(Settler)
- Raja Rao
- S. Srikanta Sastri
- S. L. Bhyrappa
- S. R. Ramaswamy
- Shatavadhani Dr. R. Ganesh
- Shashi Deshpande
- T. P. Kailasam
- T. R. Subba Rao
- T. N. Srikantaiah
- U. R. Ananthamurthy
- V. K. Gokak
- Yashwant Chittal
- G.T. Narayana Rao
- Ferdinand Kittel
- Dinakara Desai
- Venkatesh Galaganath
- C B Muthamma, first woman IFS officer
- C. G. Somiah, Comptroller and Auditor General of India (1990-1996)
- Shankar Bidari,IPS, DG & IPG, Karnataka.
- Abdul Rahman Infant, IPS, DG & IGP, Karnataka.
- Dr.M.H.Marigowda, Former Director of Horticulture.
- H. T. Sangliana, Former Police Officer, and M.P. Lok Sabha.
- Daya Nayak
- S. K. Amin Founder of South Kanara District Co-Operative Fish Marketing Federation
Religion and philosophy
- Tirumalai Krishnamacharya - known as "the father of modern yoga" and reviver of Hatha Yoga.
- B.K.S. Iyengar
- Geeta Iyengar
- Jaggi Vasudev
- Malladihalli Sri Raghavendra Swamiji
- Pattabhi Jois
Wildlife and Environment
Historians, Art Historians, Epigraphists and Archaeologists
- Dr. Shikaripura Ranganatha Rao
- Dr. B.A. Saletore
- P. B. Desai
- P. Gururaja Bhat
- G. S. Gai
- A. N. Narasimhia
- B. L. Rice
- Sree Sree Shivakumara Swamiji
- S. K. Amin
- Malladihalli Sri Raghavendra Swamiji
- Sudha Murthy
- Tulsi Gowda
- Veerendra Heggade
- Saalumarada Thimmakka
- B. P. Govinda (former captain, Arjun award)
- M. P. Ganesh (former captain, Arjun Award)
- Ashish Ballal
- Arjun Halappa
- M M Somaiya (former captain)
- Ashwini Nachappa, Athletics
- J. J. Shobha, Athletics
- Vandana Rao, Athletics
- Vandana Shanbagh,athlete, Olympion, Arjuna awardee
- Vikas Gowda, discus thrower
- Girisha Nagarajegowda, men's high jump F-42 category, Jump (F42) – Paralympics Silver
- C.C. Machaiah, former boxer, Olympian and coach, 1978 Arjuna Awardee
- Chetan Baboor, Table Tennis
- Nisha Millet, Swimming
- Pankaj Advani, Billiards
- Malathi Krishnamurthy Holla
- Ajjamada B Devaiah, Pilot in Indian air force, Maha Vir Chakra (posthumous), war martyr.
- Field Marshal K.M. Cariappa, Commander-in-Chief, Indian Armed Forces
- Gen.K. S. Thimayya, Chief of Staff, Indian Army
- Gen. A C Iyappa, Prisoner-of-War in World War II, Indian Army, BEL chief.
- Air Marshal C D Subbaiah, VrC, PVSM, World War II fighter pilot, Indian Army.
- Ramesh Halagali, AVSM, SM, Deputy Chief of Indian Army.
- Major M C Muthanna, killed by terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir, Shaurya Chakra awardee.
- Major Sandeep Unnikrishnan, killed in action during the November 2008 Mumbai attacks, consequently awarded the Ashoka Chakra, Indian Army
- Justice Manepalli Narayana Rao Venkatachaliah, Retired Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
- Justice N Y Hanumanthappa, Chief Justice of Orissa High Court and Ex-Member of Parliament, Chitra Durga
- Justice Santhosh Hegde, Retired Supreme Court Judge
- Justice H.L.Dattu, Retired Chief Justice of the Supreme Court
- Justice V. Gopala Gowda, Supreme Court Judge
- Kuvempu for his epic Sri Ramayana Darshanam in 1969.
- D. R. Bendre for his anthology of poems Naku Thanthi in 1974.
- K. Shivaram Karanth for his novel Mookajjiya Kanasugalu in 1977.
- Masti Venkatesha Iyengar for his historical novel Chikkaveera Rajendra in 1983.
- V. K. Gokak for Bharatha Sindhu Rashmi in 1990.
- U. R. Ananthamurthy for his monumental contributions in 1994.
- Girish Karnad for his monumental contributions to Kannada literature and for contributions to Kannada theatre (Yayati)in 1998.
- Chandrashekhara Kambara for his monumental contributions to Kannada literature in 2010.
- S. L. Bhyrappa for his novel Mandra in 2010.
- A.N.Prahlada Rao, Crossword writer, created 40,000 crosswords, Name mentioned in LIMCA Book of Records 2015
- Shakuntala Devi,calculating prodigy and also called human computer.
- Naa Someswara, a Doctor by profession. Quiz master of 'Thatt anta hEli' quiz competition of Chandana, Bangalore Doordrshan. Holds Limca book of records for quizzing highest number of quizzes in any Indian television channels.
- Thumbay Moideen - Founder President - THUMBAY Group & Founder President - Board of Governors, Gulf Medical University - First Kannadiga to have established a Medical University and Teaching Hospital in the Gulf.
- G. S. Paramasivaiah - One of the founders of Karnataka University. He was a student of the Nobel-laureate Sir CV Raman was the first Principal of the Karnatak Science College, Dharwad.. He was also the Secretary of KLE Society Belgaum.
- K B Ganapathy, Editor of Mysooru Mithra and Star of Mysore
- Aluru Venkata Rao
- Huilgol Narayana Rao
- Ravi Belagere
- Pulakesi I
- Krishna Deva Raya
- Kumara Rama
- Somesvara I
- Belawadi Mallamma
- Kittur Chennamma
- Raghavendra Acharya
- Sculptor Ramappa
- Pandita Ramabai - Reformer for women's education, Sanskrit scholar, Christian Bible translator into Marathi.
- Saraswati Gangadhar
- Chief Justice of India P. B. Gajendragadkar from Gajendragad
- Shivram Dattatreya Phadnis, cartoonist
- List of Kannada poets
- List of people from Bangalore
- Kodava people
- Konkani people
- Lists of Indians by state
- List of Lingayats
- Kannada people
- Recipients of the Karnataka Ratna
- People from Uttara Kannada District
- People from Belgaum District
- People from Bagalkot District
- People from Bellary District
- People from Bidar District
- People from Bijapur District
- People from Gadag District
- People from Gulbarga District
- People from Haveri District
- People from Koppal District
- People from Raichur District