List of performance analysis tools
This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
General purpose, language independent
The following tools work based on log files that can be generated from various systems.
- TimeToPic visualizes a log file. If system has logging facility, its output can be shown on visual timeline. Developer can see from visualization what is happening on log. Can be used for code and "logic" level analysis. There are version for Windows and Linux. Supports log sizes up to 1 Gigabyte.
- time (Unix) - can be used to determine the run time of a program, separately counting user time vs. system time, and CPU time vs. clock time.
The following tools work for multiple languages or binaries.
|Name/Manufacturer||OS||Compiler/Language||What It Does||License|
|Allinea MAP||Linux||C, C++, Fortran/Fortran90 and Python applications.||Performance profiler. Shows I/O, communication, floating point operation usage and memory access costs.||Proprietary|
|AppDynamics by Cisco||Linux, Windows, iOS, Android, Azure, AWS, AIX||.NET, Java, PHP, HTML5, ObjectiveC/iOS, Java/Android, C/C++, Apache, Nginx, Cassandra, DataBases||Application Performance Management||Proprietary|
|AQtime by SmartBear Software||Windows||.NET 1.0 to 4.0 applications (including ASP.NET applications), Silverlight 4.0 applications, Windows 32- and 64-bit applications including C, C++, Delphi for Win32 and VBScript and JScript functions||Performance profiler and memory/resource debugging toolset||Proprietary|
|CodeAnalyst by AMD||Linux, Windows||C, C++,Objective C .NET, Java (works at the executable level)||AMD uProf supersedes CodeAnalyst and CodeXL for CPU and Power profiling on AMD processors.
||Free/open source (GPL) or proprietary|
|AMD CodeXL by AMD||Linux, Windows||For GPU profiling and debugging: OpenCL.||A tool suite for GPU profiling, GPU debugger and a static kernel analyzer.||Free/open source (MIT)|
|AMD uProf by AMD||Linux, Windows||C, C++, .NET, Java, Fortran||Code profiler, does sampling based profiling on AMD processors.||Proprietary|
|DevPartner by Borland / Micro Focus||.NET, Java||Test suite that automatically detects and diagnoses software defects and performance problems.||Proprietary|
|DTrace by Sun Microsystems||Solaris, Linux, BSD, Mac OS X||Comprehensive dynamic tracing framework for troubleshooting kernel and application problems on production systems in real time.||Free/open source (CDDL)|
|dynamoRIO by RIO||Linux, Windows||Dynamic binary instrumentation framework for the development of dynamic program analysis tools.||Free/open source - BSD|
|Dynatrace||Linux, Windows, iOS, Android, Azure, AWS, AIX, Solaris, HP/UX, zOS, zLinux||.NET, Java, PHP, HTML5, Ajax (for web sites), ObjectiveC/iOS, Java/Android, C/C++, CICS, Apache, Nginx, Cassandra, Hadoop, MongoDB, HBase||Application Performance Management||Proprietary|
|Extrae||Linux, Android||Primarily C/C++/Fortran, but can profile any application linking against supported parallel libraries (e.g. MPI4PY)||HPC performance analysis tool with viewer and supporting utilities. Primarily designed for parallel applications with support for MPI, OpenMP, CUDA, OpenCL, pthreads, and OmpSs. Additional features include user function tracing and hardware event capture via PAPI.||Free/open source - LGPL-2.1|
|FusionReactor||Linux, Windows, Mac, AWS, Azure, Google Cloud||Java, ColdFusion, Apache, MongoDB Works with any Language supported by the JVM||Application Performance Management, Performance and Root Cause Analysis, Combines APM and Low Level Developer Style Tooling; debugger, java profiler, memory profiler, thread profiler, CPU profiling||Proprietary|
|GlowCode||Windows||64-bit and 32-bit applications, C, C++, .NET, and dlls generated by any language compiler.||Performance and memory profiler which identifies time-intensive functions and detects memory leaks and errors||Proprietary|
|gprof||Linux/Unix||Any language supported by gcc||Several tools with combined sampling and call-graph profiling. A set of visualization tools, VCG tools, uses the Call Graph Drawing Interface (CGDI) to interface with gprof. Another visualization tool which interfaces with gprof is KProf.||Free/open source - BSD version is part of 4.2BSD and GNU version is part of GNU Binutils (by GNU Project)|
|Instana||Linux, Windows, iOS, Android, Azure, AWS, AIX, Solaris, HP/UX, zOS, zLinux||.NET, .Net core, Java, PHP, Ruby, Python, Crystal, Scala, Kotlin, Clojure, Haskell, Node.js, Web Browser, Apache, Nginx, Cassandra, Hadoop, MongoDB, Elasticsearch, Kafka||Application Performance Management||Proprietary|
|Intel Advisor||Linux and Windows||C, C++ and Fortran||Vectorization (SIMD) optimization. Find hot loops, ID what is blocking vectorization, check for loop-carried dependencies, analyze memory access patterns and optimize stride and memory footprint. Includes cache aware roofline analysis.||Proprietary. Bundled as a part of Intel Parallel Studio.
Freeware licenses for open source developers, students, educators and academic researchers.
|Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT)||Linux||Requires patched kernel||Collects data on processes blocking, context switches, and execution time. This helps identify performance problems over multiple processes or threads. Superseded by LTTng.||GPL|
|LTTng (Linux Trace Toolkit Next Generation)||Linux||System software package for correlated tracing of kernel, applications and libraries||GPL/LGPL/MIT|
|OProfile||Linux||Profiles everything running on the Linux system, including hard-to-profile programs such as interrupt handlers and the kernel itself.||Sampling profiler for Linux that counts cache misses, stalls, memory fetches, etc.||Open Source GPLv2|
|Oracle Solaris Studio Performance Analyzer||Linux, Solaris||C, C++, Fortran, Java; MPI||Performance and memory profiler||Proprietary freeware|
|perf tools||Linux kernel 2.6.31+||Sampling profiler with support of hardware events on several architectures.||GPL|
|Performance Application Programming Interface (PAPI)||Various||Library for hardware performance counters on modern microprocessors|
|LIKWID||Linux||C/C++, Fortran, Python, Java and Lua||Toolsuite of command line applications and library for performance oriented programmers (hardware performance monitoring, affinity control, ...)||GPLv3|
|Pin by Intel||Linux, Windows, OSX, Android||Dynamic binary instrumentation system that allows users to create custom program analysis tools||Proprietary but free for non-commercial use|
|Rational PurifyPlus||AIX, Linux, Solaris, Windows||Performance profiling tool, memory debugger and code coverage tool||Proprietary|
|Scalasca||Linux||C/C++, Fortran||Parallel trace analyser||Free/open source (BSD license)|
|Shark by Apple||Mac OS X (discontinued with 10.7)||Performance analyzer||Proprietary freeware|
|Superluminal Performance||Windows, Xbox One||C, C++||Next-generation sampling profiler, built with usability and scalability in mind.||Proprietary|
|Systemtap||Linux||Programmable system tracing/probing tool; may be scripted to generate time- or performance-counter- or function-based profiles of the kernel and/or its userspace.||Open source|
|Valgrind||Linux, OSX, Solaris, Android||Any, including assembler||System for debugging and profiling; supports tools to either detect memory management and threading bugs, or profile performance (cachegrind and callgrind). KCacheGrind, valkyrie and alleyoop are front-ends for valgrind.||Free/open source (GPL)|
|VTune Amplifier XE by Intel Corporation||Linux, Windows||C, C++, C#, Fortran, .NET, Java, Python, Go, ASM Assembly||Tool for serial and threaded performance analysis. Hotspot, call tree and threading analysis works on both Intel and AMD x86 processors. Hardware event sampling that uses the on chip performance monitoring unit requires an Intel processor.||Proprietary. Also available as a part of Intel Parallel Studio.
Freeware licenses for open source developers, students, educators and academic researchers.
|Windows Performance Analysis Toolkit by Microsoft||Windows||Proprietary freeware|
|RotateRight Zoom||Linux, Mac OS X, Viewer Only for Windows||Supports most compiled languages on ARM and x86 processors.||Graphical and command-line statistical (event-based) profiler|
|VisualSim||Linux,OS X,Microsoft Windows||Supports C/C++/SystemC||Graphical modeling and Simulation platform to select, analyze and validate architecture of complex electronics systems for performance, power and reliability.||Proprietary|
C and C++
- Arm MAP, a performance profiler supporting Linux platforms.
- AppDynamics, an application performance management solution[buzzword] for C/C++ applications via SDK.
- AQtime Pro, a performance profiler and memory allocation debugger that can be integrated into Microsoft Visual Studio, and Embarcadero RAD Studio, or can run as a stand-alone application.
- IBM Rational Purify was a memory debugger allowing performance analysis.
- Intel Parallel Studio contains Intel VTune Amplifier, which tunes both serial and parallel programs. It also includes Intel Advisor and Intel Inspector. Intel Advisor optimizes vectorization (use of SIMD instructions) and prototypes threading implementations. Intel Inspector detects and debugs races, deadlocks and memory errors.
- Parasoft Insure++ provides a graphical tool that displays and animates memory allocations in real time to expose memory blowout, fragmentation, overuse, bottlenecks and leaks.
- Visual Studio Team System Profiler, commercial profiler by Microsoft.
- VSXu has a built-in open source profiler for collecting data, call graphs with a generic data collection back end.
- inspectIT is an open-source application performance management (APM) solution[buzzword] for monitoring and analyzing software applications, available under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (ALv2).
- JConsole is the profiler which comes with the Java Development Kit
- JRockit Mission Control, a profiler with low overhead.
- Netbeans Profiler, a profiler integrated into the NetBeans IDE (internally uses jvisualvm profiler)
- Plumbr, Java application performance monitoring with automated root cause detection. Links memory leaks, GC inefficiency, slow database and external web service calls, locked threads, and other performance problems to the line in source code that causes them.
- OverOps, Continuous reliability for the modern software supply chain, automatically detect and deliver root cause automation for all errors.
- VisualVM is a visual tool integrating several commandline JDK tools and lightweight profiling capabilities. It is bundled with the Java Development Kit since version 6, update 7.
- FusionReactor, Java application performance monitoring - low overhead, production grade tools for production debugging, code profiling, memory and thread analysis
- CLR Profiler is a free memory profiler provided by Microsoft for CLR applications.
- GlowCode is a performance and memory profiler for .NET applications using C# and other .NET languages. It identifies time-intensive functions and detects memory leaks and errors in native, managed and mixed Windows x64 and x86 applications.
- Visual Studio