List of cities in Azerbaijan
This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a list of cities in Azerbaijan. Azerbaijan is a country in the South Caucasus region, situated at the crossroads of Southwest Asia and Southeastern Europe. In total, Azerbaijan has 77 cities (including 12 Federal-level cities), 64 smaller rayon-class cities, and one special legal status city. These are followed by 257 urban-type settlements and 4,620 villages.
Cities in Azerbaijan
- Baku – the capital and largest city of Azerbaijan
- Goygol, formerly Khanlar (Xanlar)
Most populous Azerbaijani cities
|1||Bakı||Baku||2,262,600||Baku is the capital and largest city of Azerbaijan, as well as the largest city on the Caspian Sea and of the Caucasus region. Baku is located 28 meters below sea level, which also makes it the lowest lying national capital in the world. In fact, Baku is also the largest city in the world located below sea level.|
|2||Gəncə||Ganja||332,600||Second largest city in Azerbaijan|
|3||Sumqayıt||Sumqayit||341,200||Third largest city and seaport in Azerbaijan|
|4||Lənkəran||Lankaran||226,900||Lankaran is a city in the south on the coast of the Caspian Sea.|
|5||Mingəçevir||Mingachevir||104,500||Mingachevir is a city in the north of the country|
|7||Şirvan||Shirvan||85,800||Located along the Kura river|
|8||Şəki||Shaki||65,100||Shaki is a city known for its rich history.|
|10||Xankəndi||Khankendi||55,800||Located in Nagorno-Karabakh Region it acts as the capital of that de facto republic and is called Stepanakert by the Armenians|
- Administrative divisions of Azerbaijan
- List of geographic names of Iranian origin
- List of cities by country
- List of cities in Asia
- List of cities in Europe
- While often politically aligned with Europe, Azerbaijan is generally considered to be at least mostly in Southwest Asia geographically with its northern part bisected by the standard Asia-Europe divide, the Greater Caucasus. The United Nations classification of world regions places Azerbaijan in Western Asia; the CIA World Factbook places it mostly in Southwest Asia  and Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary places it in both; NationalGeographic.com, and Encyclopædia Britannica also place Georgia in Asia. Conversely, some sources place Azerbaijan in Europe such as Worldatlas.com.
- "Demoqrafik göstəricilər". Gender.az (in Azerbaijani). Retrieved 15 April 2013.
- Marushiakova, E.; Popov, V. (2016). Gypsies in Central Asia and the Caucasus. Springer International Publishing. p. 68. ISBN 978-3-319-41057-9. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- Dumper, M.; Stanley, B.E. (2007). Cities of the Middle East and North Africa: A Historical Encyclopedia. ABC-CLIO. p. 63. ISBN 978-1-57607-919-5. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- Demographic Indicators of Azerbaijan, State Statistics Committee (Azerbaijan)
- Population of Azerbaijan, State Statistics Committee (Azerbaijan)