List of things named after Barack Obama
(Redirected from List of places named after Barack Obama)
This is a list of things named after Barack Obama, the 44th President of the United States. This list includes proposed name changes.
- 1 Biota
- 2 Schools
- 3 Streets
- 4 Topographical features
- 5 Other facilities
- 6 Holidays
- 7 Proposed renamings
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
- Aptostichus barackobamai, a species of wafer trapdoor spiders
- Baracktrema obamai, a blood fluke found in Malaysian turtles
- Desmopachria barackobamai, a diving beetle from French Guiana
- Etheostoma obama, a darter species
- Lasioglossum obamai, a Cuban bee
- Nystalus obamai (Western striolated puffbird), a bird from the Amazon
- Obamadon gracilis, an extinct lizard
- Paragordius obamai, a parasitic worm from phylum Nematomorpha
- Spintharus barackobamai, a Cuban spider
- Teleogramma obamaorum, a cichlid, honoring Barack Obama and First Lady Michelle Obama
- Tosanoides obama, a fish discovered in the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument
- Barack Obama Charter School – Compton, California – Qued Charter Elementary School renamed after Barack Obama in January 2009
- Barack Obama Global Preparation Academy – Los Angeles – Built in mid 2010
- Barack Obama Academy – Oakland, California – Alternative Learning Community renamed after Barack Obama in March 2009
- Barack H. Obama Elementary Magnet School of Technology – opened in January 2017
- Barack and Michelle Obama Academy – Atlanta, Georgia – renamed in November 2016.
- Barack Obama Elementary School – Upper Marlboro, Maryland – named after Barack Obama in June 2009 while under construction.
- Barack Obama International Baccalaureate Elementary School – Jackson, Mississippi – Renamed as of October 2017, from Jefferson Davis, the Confederacy's only president.
- Barack Obama Elementary School – Pine Lawn, Missouri – dedicated as Barack Obama Elementary School in August 2011.
- Barack Obama Academy – Plainfield, New Jersey – Plainfield Academy for Academic & Civic Development renamed to Barack Obama Academy.
- Barack Obama Green Charter High School – Plainfield, New Jersey – Charter high school opened in September 2010.
- Barack Obama Elementary School – Hempstead, New York – Ludlum Elementary School renamed to Barack Obama Elementary School.
- Obama High School – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania – Pittsburgh IB World 6–12 renamed to Pittsburgh Obama High School.
- Avinguda Barack Obama - In 2008, a street in the town of Nàquera in Valencia, Spain was named in honor of Barack Obama for being "an icon of multiculturalism". The street was formerly named after José Antonio Primo de Rivera, founder of the facist party Falange and son of Spanish dictator Miguel Primo de Rivera.
- Barack Obama Drive – A road in the Tanzanian city Dar es Salaam was renamed in honor of Obama's visit to the country in July 2013. The road, located by the Indian Ocean, leads to the Tanzanian State House. It was previously known as Ocean Road.
- Obama Way – Seaside, California – Seaside City Council approved the commemorative designation of Broadway Avenue as Obama Way effective 15 September 2010.
- Obama Boulevard – Los Angeles, California – Los Angeles City Council approved the commemorative designation of Rodeo Road (not to be confused with the famous Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills) as Obama Boulevard on 29 June 2017.
- South Barack Obama Avenue - East St. Louis, Illinois - City council approved the renaming of a half mile section of 4th street to Barack Obama Avenue in August, 2012. (Streetview) 
- Barack Obama Presidential Expressway - In July 2017, the Illinois General Assembly voted to name a section of Interstate 55 the Barack Obama Presidential Expressway.
- Barack Obama Way - New Albany, Indiana - a section of Reas Lane was renamed in the last week of Obama's presidency to honor the fact that "Obama's stimulus plan has helped the city create new jobs and facilitate economic development." 
- Barack Obama Avenue – Opa-locka, Florida – City commission approved the renaming of Perviz Avenue effective Presidents' Day, February 2009.
- Barack Obama Boulevard – West Park, Florida – City commission approved the renaming of SW 40th Ave, Effective July 2009.
- President Barack Obama Parkway – Orlando, Florida – approx. 1½ miles in length; includes sidewalks and bike lanes.
- Barack Obama Boulevard - Pahokee, Florida
- President Barack Obama Highway within the limits of Riviera Beach, Florida
- President Barack Obama Boulevard - St. Louis, Missouri - Part of Delmar Boulevard given honorary renaming to Obama Boulevard, even though the postal address will retain Delmar Boulevard.
Antigua and Barbuda
- Mount Obama in Antigua and Barbuda – renamed from Boggy Peak on Obama's birthday, 4 August 2009.
- The Barack Obama Plaza - including a petrol station, food court and visitor centre that provides information on Obama's connections, at Moneygall on County Offaly, between Dublin and Limerick. Moneygall was birthplace of Obama's great-great-great-grandfather.
- Obama Day, Kenyan holiday honoring Obama's 2008 election victory
- Barack Obama Day, state holiday celebrated in Illinois
- Pembroke Park Road – Hollywood, Florida – portion of (or all of) road proposed to be renamed Barack Obama Boulevard
- List of topics related to Barack Obama
- List of places named for George Washington
- List of places named for Thomas Jefferson
- List of places named for James Monroe
- List of places named for Andrew Jackson
- List of places named for James K. Polk
- List of things named after Ronald Reagan
- List of things named after Donald Trump
- Boddy, Jessica (29 December 2016). "These nine different creatures have been named after Barack Obama". Science. doi:10.1126/science.aal0558.
- Foley, Katherine Ellen (30 December 2016). "Scientists love president Obama so much they've named nine different animals after him". Quartz.
- Makhan, Dewanand (2015). "Desmopachria barackobamai sp. nov., a new species of waterbeetle from French Guiana (Coleoptera: Dytiscidae)". Calodema (361): 1–2. doi:10.13140/RG.2.2.23166.38728.
- Genaro, Julio A. (2016). "Especies nuevas y nuevos registros de abejas para las Antillas (Hymenoptera: Anthophila; Colletidae, Halictidae". Novitates Caribaea. 10: 38–51.
- Carr, Steve (18 April 2012). "UNM Researchers Find When Mates Are Hard to Find, Males Are First to Go". University of New Mexico. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- Thomsen, Jacqueline (26 September 2017). "Scientists name new species of spiders after Sanders, Obamas". TheHill.
- Song, Jason (16 January 2009). "Compton school is named for Barack Obama, a first in California". Los Angeles Times' "L.A. Now" local news blog. Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- "Barack Obama Global Preparation Academy". Bogpa-lausd-ca.schoolloop.com. 2011-05-07. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "Oakland School Renamed Barack Obama Academy". KTVU. 26 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-26.
- "School board approves Barack Obama Elementary name". The Gazette. 2009-06-26.
- "School named after Confederacy's only president renamed for Barack Obama". ABC Inc., KABC-TV Los Angeles, California. October 19, 2017. Retrieved October 19, 2017.
- "Welcome to the Normandy School District Website. ::". Normandy.k12.mo.us. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- "St. Paul elementary school to get Obama name". Star Tribune. 19 May 2009. Retrieved 4 June 2015.
- Epa/Matthew Cavanaugh. "Plainfield high school named after President Obama | New Jersey Real-Time News". NJ.com. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- Walsh, Jeremy (11 April 2010). "New Barack Obama Green Charter High School is coming to Plainfield | Star-Ledger". NJ.com. Retrieved 2010-08-23.
- "New York Elementary School Renamed After Barack Obama – Local News | News Articles | National News | US News". Fox News. 2008-11-21. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- "Barack Obama Elementary School Now Open in Maple Heights", cleveland.com, January 17, 2012, retrieved October 17, 2016
- "South Florida Street Expected To Be Renamed For Obama – Miami News Story – WPLG Miami". Local10.com. 2008-11-22. Retrieved 2011-08-19.
- Williams, Shawn P. (24 August 2011). "Barack Obama Male Leadership Academy: DISD All-Male School Opens With High Expectations". Dallas South News. Retrieved 3 September 2011.
- "'Barack Obama School' name change splits Milwaukee board". jsonline.com. Retrieved October 17, 2016.
- "Barack Obama School of Career and Technical Education". Milwaukee Public Schools. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- Govan, Fiona (28 November 2008). "Spanish street to be named after *Barack Obama". The Daily Telegraph. UK. Retrieved 2009-01-19.
- "La localidad de Náquera dedica una calle a Barack Obama y elimina el nombre de 'José Antonio'". Europa Press. 27 December 2008. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
- Talev, Margaret; Goldman, Julianna (1 July 2013). "Obama to Join With Political Foe Bush as Africa Trip Winds Down". Bloomberg. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Obama courts African businesses, is greeted by massive crowds in Tanzania on final leg of trip". The Washington Post. 1 July 2013. Archived from the original on 1 July 2013. Retrieved 2 July 2013.
- "Seaside to Unveil "Obama Way"".
- "Los Angeles' Rodeo Road renamed for Obama".
- "East St. Louis city council minutes" (PDF). City of East St. Louis, IL. Retrieved 2014-03-30.
- Mackey, Brian. "Illinois Highway To Be Named After Barack Obama". Retrieved 2018-02-16.
- "New Albany names street after Obama". The Courier-Journal. Retrieved 2017-04-05.
- "South Florida Street Expected To Be Renamed For Obama – Miami News Story – WPLG Miami". Local10.com. 2008-11-22. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- Carey, Clay (4 January 2009). "Obama to join literary characters in Florida". USA Today. Retrieved 2009-01-11.
- "Topic Galleries – South Florida". Sun-sentinel.com. Archived from the original on 14 June 2009. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- Tiffany Gabbay (October 11, 2011). "Orlando Unveils 'President Barack Obama Parkway'". The Blaze. Retrieved July 20, 2012.
- Swisher, Skyler. "Old Dixie Highway renamed in honor of Obama in Riviera Beach". sun-sentinel.com. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- "Renamed schools, streets mark early tributes to Obama - USATODAY.com". usatoday30.usatoday.com. Retrieved 18 October 2017.
- Kentish, Anika (2009-08-15). "Antigua's highest peak renamed 'Mount Obama'". Archived from the original on 13 August 2009. Retrieved 2009-08-05.
- "Unexpected things named after Obama". 18 October 2017. Retrieved 18 October 2017 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- Rodriguez, Ihosvani (29 December 2009). "Down the road: Obama Boulevard in Florida?". Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale, Florida). Retrieved 2009-01-11.