List of places on the Isle of Wight
There are nine main towns, most located along the north and east coasts. Ryde is the largest, with a population of 26,152. Newport is the centrally located capital. Most settlements link to Newport by road, which is therefore the hub for island services. There are no settlements with city status; the nearest city is Portsmouth, five miles north-east, then Southampton, ten miles north of East Cowes.
|Town||Population||OS Grid Reference||Post town||Postal code|
|East Cowes||6,166||EAST COWES||PO32|
A self-descriptive definition of a village is adopted here.
Hamlets and other places
- List of United Kingdom locations
- List of Sites of Special Scientific Interest on the Isle of Wight
- List of places in England
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Towns and villages on the Isle of Wight.|
- Map of places on the Isle of Wight compiled from this list
- Isle of Wight Towns & Villages, Isle of Wight Time, Greenwich Mean Time website
- Place Name Index, Wightcam- Photographically Illustrated Walks on the Isle of Wight
- The Villages and Towns of the Isle of Wight, Southern Life (UK) website; History of the Villages of Hampshire, Dorset and Isle of Wight Counties.