List of places on the Isle of Wight
There are nine main towns on the Isle of Wight. Most of these are located towards the eastern side and along the coast. Ryde is the island's largest town with a population of 26,152. Newport is the island's capital and located in the centre of the island. Most island settlements link to Newport by road making it the centre for island services. There are currently no settlements on the island with city status, the nearest city to the Isle of Wight is Portsmouth, five miles north-east of the Island, followed by Southampton, which is ten miles north of East Cowes.
|Town||Population||OS Grid Reference||Post town||Postal code|
|East Cowes||6,166||EAST COWES||PO32|
A self-descriptive definition of a village is adopted here.
Hamlets and other places
- List of United Kingdom locations
- List of Sites of Special Scientific Interest on the Isle of Wight
- List of places in England
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Towns and villages on the Isle of Wight.|
- Map of places on the Isle of Wight compiled from this list
- Isle of Wight Towns & Villages, Isle of Wight Time, Greenwich Mean Time website
- Place Name Index, Wightcam- Photographically Illustrated Walks on the Isle of Wight
- The Villages and Towns of the Isle of Wight, Southern Life (UK) website; History of the Villages of Hampshire, Dorset and Isle of Wight Counties.