List of films about the American Revolution
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from List of plays and films about the American Revolution)
|This article does not cite any sources. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
This is a list of films and TV films about the American Revolution.
- 1776, or The Hessian Renegades – 1909 film by D.W. Griffith
- 1776 – 1972 film starring William Daniels, Howard Da Silva, Ken Howard, Donald Madden and John Cullum. Directed by Peter H. Hunt.
- America – 1924 film; epic directed by D.W. Griffith and starring Lionel Barrymore.
- April Morning – 1987 starring Chad Lowe, Tommy Lee Jones, and Robert Urich.
- Benedict Arnold: A Question of Honor – 2003 film starring: Aidan Quinn as Benedict Arnold and Kelsey Grammer as George Washington. The life of Benedict Arnold and how he switched sides in the American Revolution.
- Beyond the Mask –2015 film
- Cardigan – 1922 film
- Drums Along the Mohawk – 1939 film starring: Claudette Colbert and Henry Fonda; Director: John Ford
- Independence – 1976 docudrama film directed by John Huston, narrated by E. G. Marshall and starring Eli Wallach, Pat Hingle, Ken Howard and Anne Jackson; shown continuously at Philadelphia's Independence Visitor Center.
- John Paul Jones – 1959 film directed by John Farrow, starring Robert Stack and Charles Coburn
- Johnny Tremain – 1957 film adaptation of the 1943 Esther Forbes novel starring Hal Stalmaster and, among others, Walter Coy. Directed by Robert Stevenson
- La Fayette – 1961 film
- Liberty's Kids – 2002 PBS animated series
- Revolution – 1985 film starring Al Pacino. Directed by Hugh Hudson
- Scouting for Washington – 1917 Edison Studios
- Sons of Liberty – 1939 film starring: Claude Rains, Gale Sondergaard; Director: Michael Curtiz.
- Sons of Liberty – 2015 miniseries starring Ben Barnes, Rafe Spall, Henry Thomas, Dean Norris and Jason O'Mara; Director: Kari Skogland; produced for broadcast by The History Channel
- The Crossing – 2000 film starring: Jeff Daniels, Roger Rees, Director: Robert Harmon; screenwriter Howard Fast based on his novel; produced for broadcast by the Arts and Entertainment cable television network
- The Devil's Disciple – 1959 film adaptation of the play by George Bernard Shaw; starring Burt Lancaster, Kirk Douglas, and Laurence Olivier. Directed by Guy Hamilton
- The Devil's Disciple – 1987 TV film adaptation of the play by George Bernard Shaw; starring: Patrick Stewart, Director: David Jones
- The Howards of Virginia – 1940 Starring: Cary Grant, Director: Frank Lloyd
- The Patriot – 2000 film starring: Mel Gibson, Heath Ledger, Director: Roland Emmerich
- The Rebels – 1979 TV miniseries based on the novel by John Jakes, starring Andrew Stevens
- The Scarlet Coat – 1955 film directed by John Sturges, focuses on Benedict Arnold
- The Spirit of '76 – 1917 film
- Turn: Washington's Spies – 2014 AMC television series
- Williamsburg: the Story of a Patriot – 1957 film shown at Colonial Williamsburg continually since 1957. Directed by George Seaton, starring Jack Lord.