List of political parties in Mauritania
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
This article lists political parties in Mauritania.
Until 2005, Mauritania was a one party dominant state with the Democratic and Social Republican Party, now the Republican Party for Democracy and Renewal, in power. Opposition political parties were allowed, but had no real chance of gaining power. Following the 2005 Coup a transitional junta liberalised the political arena, permitting a level of pluralism and openness that was applauded in the West, and handed power to the winner of a competitive election, the National Pact for Development and Democracy (PNDD-ADIL). This ended with the 2008 Coup, and while the National Assembly continued to meet, its powers were restricted. The Union for the Republic (Union pour la république) was formed as the ruling party. National elections for a new government were scheduled for 2009, with some parties opposed to the candidacy of military ruler Mohamed Ould Abdel Aziz boycotting the elections.
- Action for Change (Action pour changement, APC)
- Alliance for Justice and Democracy/Movement for Renewal (Alliance pour la Justice et la Démocratie/Mouvement pour la Rénovation, AJD/MR)
- People's Front (Front Populaire)
- People's Progressive Alliance (Alliance Populaire Progressiste)
- Rally for Democracy and Unity (Rassemblement pour la Démocratie et l'Unité, RDU)
- Rally of Democratic Forces (Regroupement des Forces Démocratiques, RFD)
- National Pact for Development and Democracy (Pacte National pour la Démocratie et le Développement, ADIL, PNDD-ADIL)
- Republican Party for Democracy and Renewal (Parti Républicain Démocratique et Renouvellement, PRDR)
- Union for Democracy and Progress (Union pour la Démocratie et le Progrès, UDP)
- Union of Democratic Forces (Union des Forces Démocratiques, UFD)
- Union of Progress Forces (Union des Forces du Progrès, UFP)
- Union for the Republic (Union pour la république, UPR) - party of the 2008 military government
- Tawassoul Party (Islamist, legalised 2007)
- National Front for the Defence of Democracy (Front national pour la défense de la démocratie, FNDD)
- 2009 anti-UPR coalition. Includes PNDD/ADIL, APP, UFP, Tawassoul Party. Joint opposition with RFD.
- Hizb ut-Tahrir
- Mauritanian People's Party
- National Vanguard Party (Ba'ath Party)
- Union of Democratic Forces
- Les 12 résolutions du Conseil national provisoire du PNDD (ADIL). e-mauritanie.net Nouakchott, 17-02-2008
- Mauritania PM to form new cabinet after resignation. Reuters. 3 July 2008.
- Mauritania: Human Rights Report 2008. United States Embassy to Mauritania.
- "A classic coup". AlAhram Weekly. 7–13 August 2008, Issue No. 909
- Mauritanie : des députés membres du FNDD sous la menace de destitution. Pana Press. 4 December 2008
- Mauritania: Joint FNDD-RFD march against the Mauritanian junta. Pana Press. 4 May 2009.
- Mauritania: FNDD sets agenda for political dialogue. Pana press. 16 April 2009.