List of political parties in Somalia
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The following is a list of political parties in Somalia.
During the civilian administration which existed prior to the seizure of power by the Supreme Revolutionary Council (SRC) in 1969, there were a number of local political parties. Most notable of these early institutions was the Somali Youth League, the nation's first political organization. Upon assuming office, the Siad Barre-led SRC outlawed all extant political parties, and advocated a form of scientific socialism inspired by Marxist China and the Soviet Union. Following the outbreak of the civil war in 1991 that saw the ouster of the Barre regime, many of the few remaining political parties gave way to autonomous or semi-autonomous regional states, or fragmented into feuding militia groups. After several unsuccessful national reconciliation efforts, a Transitional Federal Government (TFG) was formed in 2004 with a five-year mandate leading toward the establishment of a new constitution and a transition to a representative government. The Federal Government of Somalia was established on August 20, 2012, concurrent with the end of the TFG's interim mandate. It represents the first permanent central government in the country since the start of the civil war.
- CAHDİ PARTY – A (liberal) political party founded in 2012. It is led by Prof. Abdirahman Ibrahim. Based in Mogadishu, it has a justice and development platform.
- Cosmopolitan Democratic Party – (Liberal) Political party established in May 2015. Led by Yarow Sharef Aden, it has a liberal platform.
- Daljir party – (conservative) political party established in December 8, 2014. It unites most of the country's political figures, The Daljir Party's main aims is to achieve a Somalia that is secure, stable, unified, strong and sovereign, advanced and sophisticated and prosperous in all fields. The founders of this party are Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, Former president of Somalia 2009-2012, former minister of interior affairs Abdilqadir Ali Omar, former intelligence Chief and former Ambassador Ahmed Moallim Fiqi, who is the Secretary General of the party, the chairman of Daljir Party is veteran politician for minister of state and member in the federal parliament H.E. Hassan Moallin Mohamud Sheikh Ali among others. This party has the most support in the Somali community./ref>
- Democratic Green Party of Somalia (DGPS) – (Green) Political party created and led by Abdullahi Y. Mahamoud, with an emphasis on environmental protection and preservation. Member of the African Green Federation and Global Greens.
- Democratic Party of Somalia (DPS) – (Nationalist) Political party formed in 2010 by Maslah Mohamed Siad, son of former President of Somalia Siad Barre.
- Green Leaf for Democracy (GLED) – organization with a focus on youth empowerment, employment and advocacy.
- Hiil Qaran – Political party founded in February 2011. It was led at its establishment by former Prime Minister Abdirizak Haji Hussein and scholars Abdi Ismail Samatar and Ahmed Ismail Samatar.
- Justice and Community Party – Political party founded in 2014. It is led by former Mayor of Mogadishu Mohamed Nur. Based in the capital, it has a justice, unity and development platform.
- Liberal Party of Somalia (Xisbiga horumarinta iyo dib u Habeynta Somaliyeed) (Liberal)
- Peace and Development Party (PDP) – (Islamic democratic) Political party launched on 17 April 2011, after lengthy consultation meetings. It is led by Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, President of Somalia, and has established youth and women wings.
- Somali National Party (SNP) – (Nationalist) political party founded and chaired by Mohammed Ameen Saeed Ahmed.
- Somali People's Party (Xisbiga Ummadda Somaliyeed) – Political party led by chairman and founder Mahamud Hassan Rage. It has a socially themed platform.
- Somalia Green Party – Local green party of Somalia. Member of the Horn of African Greens in the Federation of Green Parties of Africa.
- Tayo (TPP) – Political party launched in early 2012, with a socially-themed platform. Founded by former Prime Minister of Somalia Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed (Farmajo), who serves as its Secretary-General. Chaired by former Minister of Social Development Maryam Qaasim.
- Tiir Party – Youth-based political association founded in July 2006. Led by chairman Fadhil Sheikhmohamud, it promotes social development through a broad-based, inclusive platform anchored in Islamic principles.
- United and Democratic Party (UDP) – (Nationalist) Political party founded in January 2014. Led by former Deputy Defense Minister and MP Salad Ali Jelle. Based in Mogadishu, it has a nationalist platform.
- United Somali Parliamentarians – Major party which supported the former Prime Minister.
- Xisbiga Midnimo-Qaran (National Unity Party) – National political party announced to the public in February 2014. Led by chairman Dr. Abdurahman Baadiyow, a former 2012 presidential candidate.
- Horseed – Political party established on 14 November 2012 in the northeastern Puntland region. Led by Puntland President Abdirahman Mohamud Farole, the association counts over 200 members and represents the incumbent Puntland government, including Vice President Abdisamad Ali Shire and the state Ministers. It is the first prospective party to register for an application with the Transitional Puntland Electoral Commission (TPEC).
- Peace, Unity, and Development Party (Kulmiye Nabad, Midnimo iyo horumar, also known as Solidarity / The Gathering / Union and Development) – Political party in the northwestern Somaliland region. The association's chairman is Muse Bihi Abdi.
- For Justice and Development (Ururka Caddaalada iyo Daryeelka, also known as the Justice and Welfare Party) – Political party in the Somaliland region. The association's chairman is Faysal Ali Warabe.
- United Peoples' Democratic Party (Ururka dimuqraadiga ummadda bahawday, also known as Allied People's Democratic Party / United Democratic People's Party / National Alliance Democratic Party / Pillar) – Political party in the Somaliland region. The association's chairman is Dahir Riyale Kahin, who is a former President of Somaliland.
- Wadani (Wadaani) – Political party in the Somaliland region. The association's chairman is Abdirahman Mohamed Abdullahi.
- Metz, Helen C. (ed.) (1992), "Coup d'Etat", Somalia: A Country Study, Washington, D.C.: Library of Congress, retrieved October 21, 2009.
- Peter John de la Fosse Wiles, The New Communist Third World: an essay in political economy, (Taylor & Francis: 1982), p. 279 ISBN 0-7099-2709-6.
- Central Intelligence Agency (2011). "Somalia". The World Factbook. Langley, Virginia: Central Intelligence Agency. Retrieved 2011-10-05.
- "Somalia: UN Envoy Says Inauguration of New Parliament in Somalia 'Historic Moment'". Forum on China-Africa Cooperation. 21 August 2012. Retrieved 24 August 2012.
- "Cosmopolitan Democratic Party a news party In Somalia". Mareeg. 6 May 2015. Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- Democratic Green Party of Somalia
- Democratic Party of Somalia
- SOMALIA'S GREEN LEAF FOR DEMOCRACY - GLED
- Hiil Qaran
- "Former Banadir governor announce new political party". Goobjoog. 27 November 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2014.
- An independent Somali political party elects new leader
- Somali National Party
- "Somali People's Party". Somali People's Party. Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- Former PM Farmajo Forms New Political Party
- "Tiir Party". Tiir Party. Retrieved 19 October 2013.
- "New Political Party Launched in Somalia Capital". Afrimedia. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "The National Unity Party - Unity - Peace - Prosperity". The National Unity Party. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Somalia: Puntland President announces political association". Garowe Online. 14 November 2012. Retrieved 19 November 2012.