List of political parties in South Africa
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Parties represented in Parliament
|Party||Also known as||National Assembly seats|
|African Christian Democratic Party||ACDP||3|
|African Independent Congress||AIC||3|
|African National Congress||ANC||249|
|African Peoples' Convention||APC||1|
|Agang South Africa||Agang||2|
|Congress of the People||COPE||3|
|Economic Freedom Fighters||EFF||25|
|Freedom Front Plus||FF+||4|
|Inkatha Freedom Party||IFP||10|
|National Freedom Party||NFP||6|
|Pan Africanist Congress||PAC||1|
|United Democratic Movement||UDM||4|
Parties unrepresented in Parliament
- Abolition of Income Tax and Usury Party
- Africa Muslim Party
- African Christian Alliance
- African Democratic Change
- Afrikaner Volksparty
- Alliance of Free Democrats
- Al Jama-ah
- Azanian People's Organisation (AZAPO)
- Black First Land First (BLF)
- Boerestaat Party
- Bolshevik Party of South Africa
- Cape Party
- Christen Party/Christian Party
- Christian Democratic Party
- Communist Party of South Africa (Marxist-Leninist)
- Dabalorivhuwa Patriotic Front
- Dagga Party
- Democratic Left Front
- Democratic Socialist movement (CWI)
- Dikwankwetla Party
- ECOPEACE Party
- Front Nasionaal (FN) (previously Federale Vryheidsparty)
- God's People's Party
- Green Party of South Africa (GPSA)
- Herstigte Nasionale Party
- Izwi Lethu Party
- Keep It Straight And Simple Party
- Kingdom Governance Movement
- Libertarian Party of South Africa
- Minority Front (MF)
- National Alliance
- National Conservative Party of South Africa
- National Democratic Convention (NADECO)
- National Party South Africa (NP)
- National People's Party (NPP)
- Pan Africanist Movement
- Patriotic Alliance
- Peace and Justice Congress
- Republican Democrats
- Social Democratic Party SA
- Socialist Green Coalition
- Socialist Party of Azania
- South African Communist Party (SACP) – as part of the ANC-led "Tripartite Alliance" since 1994, the SACP has not contested elections in their own name
- The Peoples Independent Civic Organisation
- True Freedom Party
- Ubuntu Party
- United Christian Democratic Party (UCDP)
- United Congress
- Women Forward
- Workers and Socialist Party (WASP)
- Workers Organization for Socialist Action
- Ximoko Party
The following political parties are defunct.
- Afrikaner Party (AP)(1941–1951)
- Conservative Party (CP) (1982–2004)
- Labour Party (1910–1958)
- South African Party (SAP) (1911–1934)
- National Party (NP) (1915–1997) government from 4 June 1948 until 9 May 1994
- Dominion Party(1934–1948)
- United Party (UP)(1934–1977)
- Liberal Party of South Africa (1953–1968)
- Progressive Party(1957–1975)
- Labour Party (1969-1994)
- Democratic Party (DP) (1973–1977)
- Progressive Reform Party (1975–1977)
- Reform Party(1975–1975)
- New Republic Party(1977–1988)
- Progressive Federal Party (PFP)(1977–1989)
- South African Party (SAP) (1977–1980)
- Democratic Party (DP) (1989–2000)
- New National Party (NNP)(1997–2005)
- Federal Alliance (1998–2007)
- Independent Democrats (ID)(2003–2014)
- Nasionale Aksie (2003-???2004)
- Pro-death Penalty Party (2004??)
- New Labour Party (NLP) (2004-2009)
- South African Democratic Congress (Sadeco)(2008-2011)
- Christian Democratic Alliance (???–2009)
- United Independent Front (2005-~2010)
- South African Business Party (???–2012)
- Christian Front (CF) (???–2014)
- Universal Party(???–2014)
- Federal Party (FP)
- Federation of Democrats (2005-??)
- "ANC wins 249 seats". News24. 10 May 2014. Archived from the original on 12 May 2014. Retrieved February 23, 2017.
- Westhuizen, Pieter van der. "ACA Party". Acaparty.org.za.
- Afrikaner Volksparty Archived 2009-03-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- Alliance of Free Democrats Archived 2009-01-26 at the Wayback Machine.
- A-Party Archived 2009-01-21 at the Wayback Machine.
- "BPSA". BPSA. Archived from the original on 9 January 2016. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Cape Party – Free The Cape". Capeparty.com.
- "Welcome to the Communist Party of South Africa (Marxist-Leninist) — Communist Party of South Africa (Marxist-Leninist)". Cpsa-ml.co.za.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-12. Retrieved 2012-11-26.
- "Legal Notice No 37064". Government Gazette. 581 C. 29 November 2013.
- [dead link]
- "Libertarian Party of South Africa". Retrieved 23 February 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-04-18. Retrieved 2009-04-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-11-03. Retrieved 2007-11-01. National Peoples Party
- "New political party, the Republican Democrats to contest elections". Times LIVE. 7 February 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2013-10-07. Retrieved 2013-10-05.
- [permanent dead link]
- "Five parties deregistered by IEC". Times LIVE. 5 February 2014. Retrieved 5 February 2014.
five parties – the Justice Party, the Real Congress, the United Democratic Civic Organisation, the Unemployed People's Party and the Christian Front – were deregistered