List of political parties in Tunisia
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
This article lists political parties in Tunisia. Tunisia was a dominant-party state of the Constitutional Democratic Rally ("RCD" from its French language initials) before the Tunisian revolution. In the aftermath of the revolution the RCD was dissolved by the new state authorities and over 70 new political parties formed.
The following parties opposition parties exist de jure and/or de facto. On January 20, 2011 the cabinet of the interim government recognized all previously banned parties, with the exception of Hizb ut-Tahrir and a few other parties.
Legalized before the Tunisian revolution
- Democratic Forum for Labour and Liberties (FDTL, or Ettakatol)
- Ettajdid Movement, or Renewal Movement
- Green Party for Progress (حزب الخضر للتقدم, Parti des verts pour le progrès)
- Movement of Socialist Democrats (MDS)
- Popular Unity Party (PUP)
- Progressive Democratic Party (PDP), now merged into the Republican Party.
- Social Liberal Party (PSL)
- Unionist Democratic Union (UDU)
- Liberal Democratic Social Party (Parti social démocratique liberal)
Legalized after the Tunisian revolution
- Afek Tounes. Initially merged into the Republican Party, though it was revived in August of 2013.
- El Amen Party
- Ba'ath Movement of Tunisia (PBT) (حركة البعث تونس, Mouvement Baath de Tunisie)
- Congress for the Republic (CPR)
- Cultural Unionist Nation Party
- Current of Love
- Democratic Alliance Party
- Democratic Current
- Democratic Patriots' Unified Party, formerly the Democratic Patriots' Movement
- Democratic Social Nation Party
- Destourian Movement
- Ennahda Movement or Renaissance Party
- Equity and Equality Party
- Free Patriotic Union
- Future Tunisia Party (حركة تونس المستقبل, Mouvement Tunisie de l'Avenir)
- Green Tunisia Party
- Hizb ut-Tahrir or the Liberation Party
- Homeland Party or Al Watan
- Al Iklaa Party
- Justice and Development Party
- Maghrebi Republican Party (PRM)
- Movement of the Republic
- New Destour Party
- Nidaa Tounes
- Patriotic and Democratic Labour Party (حزب العمل الوطني الديمقراطي, Parti du travail patriotique et démocratique)
- Parti Democrate Liberal www.pdltunisia.com
- Patriotic Construction Party
- Pirate Party
- Tunisian Pirate Party
- Popular Front
- Popular Unity Movement
- Popular Unity Party
- Progressive People's Party
- Reform and Development Party
- Reform Front Party
- Republican Party
- Social Democratic Path
- Socialist Party, formerly the Left Socialist Party
- Third Alternative
- Tunisian Movement for Freedom and Dignity
- Tunisian National Front
- Voice of the People of Tunisia
- Wafa Movement
- Al-Watan Party
- Workers' Party (PT), formerly the Tunisian Workers' Communist Party (PCOT)
- Destour, founded 1920; split in 1934 resulted in the Neo Destour.
- Neo Destour, which became the PSD in 1964.
- Socialist Destourian Party (PSD), which became the RCD in 1988.
- Constitutional Democratic Rally (RCD). Dissolved in 2011.
- Tunisian Communist Party. Became the Ettajdid Movement.
- Progressive Democratic Party (PDP), merged into the Republican Party.
- Ettajdid Movement. Merged into the Social Democratic Path.
- "Tunisia Seen As Laboratory For Arab Democracy". NPR. 9 May 2011. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
|last1=in Authors list (help)
- "Tunisia cabinet to lift party bans". Al Jazeera English. 20 January 2011. Retrieved 10 January 2014.
- "Tunisia - Opposition Parties". Global Security. Retrieved 11 October 2014.