List of popes (graphical)
This is a graphical list of popes of the Roman Catholic Church.
While the term pope (Latin: papa, "father") is used in several churches to denote their high spiritual leaders, this title in English usage generally refers to the supreme head of the Roman Catholic Church. The title itself has been used officially by the head of the Roman Catholic Church since the tenure of Pope Siricius, and there have been either 265 or 266 popes, depending on whether a source counts Stephen II.
The pope also bears the titles
- Bishop of Rome, Vicar of Jesus Christ, Successor of the Prince of the Apostles, Supreme Pontiff of the Universal Church, Primate of Italy, Archbishop and Metropolitan of the Roman Province, Sovereign of the Vatican City State, Servant of the servants of God.
Graphical depiction of papal reigns
Antipopes are shown in red.
- Liber Pontificalis
- List of antipopes
- List of ages of popes
- List of sexually active popes
- Prophecy of the Popes
- John N.D. Kelly, The Oxford Dictionary of Popes, Oxford University Press, 1986.
- AA.VV., Enciclopedia dei Papi, Istituto dell'Enciclopedia italiana, 2000.
- Pontificia Amministrazione della Patriarcale Basilica di San Paolo, I Papi. Venti secoli di storia, Libreria Editrice Vaticana, 2002.