List of prequels
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This is a list of prequels.
|Richard II; Henry IV, Part 1; Henry IV, Part 2; Henry V||Henry VI, Part 1; Henry VI, Part 2; Henry VI, Part 3; Richard III|
|Homelife (2007)||The Zoo Story (1958)|
|Alien: Covenant – Prologue: The Crossing (2017)||Alien: Covenant (2017)|
|Blade Runner: Black Out 2022 (2017)
2036: Nexus Dawn (2017)
2048: Nowhere to Run (2017)
|Blade Runner 2049 (2017)|
|Pirates of the Caribbean: Tales of the Code – Wedlocked (2011)||Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)|
|Rings (2005)||The Ring Two (2005)|
|The Final Chapter: The Death of Xander Cage (2005)||XXX: State of the Union (2005)|
|The Turbo Charged Prelude for 2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)
Los Bandoleros (2009)
|2 Fast 2 Furious (2003)|
Fast & Furious (2009)
|The Origin of Stitch (2005)||Stitch! The Movie (2003, video)|
|Under the Sea: A Descendants Story (2018)||Descendants 3 (2019, video)|
|Superboy (1945–)||Action Comics (1938–)|
|All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder (2005)||Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (1986)|
|The Man Who Falls (1989)||Batman: Year One (1987)|
|Batman and the Monster Men (2005–2006)
Batman and the Mad Monk (2006–2007)
Batman: The Man Who Laughs (2005)
|Batman: The Long Halloween (1996–1997) |
Batman: Dark Victory (1999–2000)
|The Kingdom (1999)||Kingdom Come (1996)|
|Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects (comics) (2005–2006)||Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects (2005)|
|PolyCombats (2020)||Super Smash Bros. (1999)|
|Marvel Zombies vs. The Army of Darkness (2007)
Marvel Zombies: Dead Days (2007)
|Marvel Zombies (2005–2006)|
|Mr. and Mrs. Spider-Man (2008–2009)||Spider-Girl (1998–1999) |
Amazing Spider-Girl (2006–2009)
|Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith (1997)
Tales of the Jedi: The Fall of the Sith Empire (1998)
|Tales of the Jedi series (1994–1996)|
|Little Archie (1956-1983)
The Archie Babies (2019)
|Archie Comics (1946–)|
Computer and video games
Manga and anime
|Fist of the Blue Sky (2001–current)||Fist of the North Star (1983–1988)|
|Go Nagai's Demon Knight (2007)||Devilman (1972)|
|Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden (2003–current)||Fushigi Yuugi (1992–1996)|
|Dragon Ball Z: Bardock – The Father of Goku (1990 anime)
Jaco the Galactic Patrolman (2013)
Dragon Ball (1984–1995)
|Rozen Maiden: Ouvertüre (2006)|
|Hellsing: The Dawn (2001–current)||Hellsing (1997–current)|
|Saint Seiya Episode.G (2002-current)||Saint Seiya (1986–1991)|
|Saint Seiya: Next Dimension (2006–current)
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas (2006–2011)
|Saint Seiya Episode.G (2002–current)|
Saint Seiya (1986–1991)
|Ga-Rei Zero (2008 anime series)||Ga-Rei (2005–2010 manga series)|
|Lupin III: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine (2012 anime series)||Lupin the Third Part I (1971-1972 anime series)|
|2112: The Birth of Doraemon (1995)||Doraemon (1969-1996 manga series)|
|Perman: The Birdman has Arrived! (1983)||Perman (1967 manga series)|
|Fairy Tail Zero (2016)||Fairy Tail (2006–2017)|
|Ginga Densetsu Riki (2002 manga series)||Ginga Nagareboshi Gin (1983–1987)|
|One Piece: Strong World Episode 0 (2009 anime)||One Piece (1997–current)|
|Tenchi Muyo! In Love (1996)||Tenchi Universe (1995)|
|Tenchi Muyo! Ryo Ohki OVA 3 (2003)||Tenchi Muyo! GXP (2002)|
- "prequel, n.". Oxford English Dictionary (online)
|url=(help) (3rd ed.). Oxford University Press. March 2012 [March 2007]. Retrieved 19 April 2012.
- Dirks, Tim. "Science Fiction Films Part 5". AMC Filmsite.
A sequel and prequel to the first two films.
- DuHamel, Brandon (2008-11-20). "Planet of the Apes: 40-Year Evolution Blu-ray Collection Review". Big Picture Big Sound.
So, in effect, Escape from The Planet of The Apes, Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and Battle for the Planet of The Apes are prequels to the original saga.
- Britt, Ryan; Tor.com. "Who's Your Caesar? Rewatching Conquest of the Planet of the Apes". Macmillan Publishing.
Conquest is in a separate category of films as it serves as both a sequel to the previous film and a prequel to the first two films.
- Matheou, Demetrios (August 14, 2011), "Ascent of Ape", The Sunday Herald, Washington, D.C., archived from the original on June 11, 2014,
Aficionados of the original series of five films will know that a prequel already exists, namely Conquest Of The Planet Of The Apes.
- "The Science Fiction, Horror and Fantasy Film Review".
With Conquest of the Planet of the Apes, the series sets out to chart the beginning of the events that lead up to the ape-ruled future.
- Chappell, Arthur (2011-08-20). Film Review: Rise of the Planet of the Apes: After the Tim Burton travesty, the Apes are back in a genuinely fantastic movie. History. Socyberty/Triond.
Stunning prequel to the original Planet Of The Apes movie, with some elements of the original franchise sequel / prequel Battle For The Planet Of The Apes.
- Associated Press. "With the documentary 'Chimpanzee' opening, a look at 5 prime primate movies". The Statesman. Retrieved 5 May 2012.
- Burgess, Steve (1999-06-26). "Richard Lester: A Hard Day's Life".
Lester may also have locked up the dubious distinction of inaugurating the term 'prequel' in 1979 when he directed 'Butch and Sundance: The Early Days.'
- Jess-Cooke, Carolyn (2009). Film Sequels: Theory and Practice from Hollywood to Bollywood. Edinburgh University Press. p. 6. ISBN 9780748626038.
- Eggertsen, Chris (2011-12-02). "The 10 best film and television prequels". HitFix.com.
The Godfather Part II remains perhaps the greatest film prequel - not to mention sequel - of all time.
- "ETHERIA: A Sequel or a Prequel?". The Gazette. Cavite State University. 2006-01-15.
- Mielke, James (16 November 2007). "Previews: Ninja Gaiden 2, "This is a new story starring Ryu Hayabusa. It takes place after Ninja Gaiden 1 for Xbox, and before the timeframe of the old Ninja Gaiden games on the NES."". 1Up.com. Archived from the original on 22 May 2011. Retrieved 4 July 2008.
- Luke, Anderson (23 May 2008). "Ninja Gaiden II: Q&A with Tomonobu Itagaki, "In story chronology as well, this takes place after the first Ninja Gaiden for Xbox and then after the story of this game it leads into the old NES ones, so I think we have a nice continuity there."". GameSpot. Archived from the original on 5 December 2008. Retrieved 4 July 2008.
- GameSpot, The History Of Castlevania, retrieved 2018-12-17
- Impact, August 2004, retrieved 28 April 2012,
Working Title, Universal and I ... chose to make a prequel, something that took place before the Thunderbirds that everyone knows and loves.
- The Telegraph
- Hemmingson, Michael (2009). Star Trek: A Post-Structural Critique of the Original Series. Wildside Press. p. 114. ISBN 9781434403490.
- Klawans, Stuart (2009). "Live Long and Prosper". The Nation. 288–289. p. 43.
The new Star Trek is not a prequel.