Boomerang (UK & Ireland)
|Launched||27 May 2000|
|Owned by||Turner Broadcasting System Europe
|Picture format||576i (16:9/4:3) (SDTV)
0.05% (+1) (July 2015 , BARB)
|Sister channel(s)||Cartoon Network
|Timeshift service||Boomerang +1|
|VuTV||Channel 238 on Freeview (UK)|
|Sky||Channel 603 (SD/HD)
Channel 618 (+1)
Channel 636 (SD)
Channel 731 (+1)
|Virgin Media Ireland||Channel 603|
Channel 57 (+1)
|TalkTalk Plus TV||Channel 487|
|Sky Go||Watch live
(UK and Ireland only)
|Virgin TV Anywhere||Watch live (UK only)|
|UPC Horizon||Watch live (Ireland only)|
Boomerang is a television channel broadcast in the United Kingdom and in the Republic of Ireland launched on 27 May 2000. It is broadcast 24 hours on the Sky, Virgin Media, Smallworld Cable, BT TV, TalkTalk Plus TV, UPC Ireland and Freeview (UK) (via VuTV on channel 238). It mostly features classic cartoons such as Tom and Jerry, Scooby-Doo, Huckleberry Hound and Quick Draw McGraw.
Boomerang was originally started in December 1992 as a programming block on Cartoon Network USA. It originally aired for four hours every weekend. The programming block followed a unique programming format—every week, cartoons produced during a certain year (and cartoons produced during years prior to that year) would be showcased. For example, if Boomerang was showcasing the year 1969, the viewer would more than likely see an episode of Scooby-Doo, Where Are You! or Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines. US Boomerang channel was launched in April 2000.
Boomerang launched on 27 May 2000, Airing between 06:00-00:00, on Sky Digital and certain cable systems. The channel was created by Turner Broadcasting to broadcast classic cartoons from the Hanna-Barbera, MGM and Warner Bros archive programme library, and Targeted at babyboomers and their children. In May 2001 the channel became the second highest rated kids' channel (amongst 4-9 Years), with over 1.3m kids tuning in. It was beaten only by sister channel Cartoon Network. In July the channel was launched on UK cable operator Telewest network, thus increasing viewers. James Greville, head of Cartoon Network UK. "The channel launched barely a year ago and yet it's already beaten established kids' channels in terms of ratings and share"  By November the channel was launched on NTL platform. Boomerang increased its library of old cartoons by acquiring rights to other animated shows such as Dangermouse, Snoopy, The Pink Panther and Garfield. By the end of 2001 the channel started to move away from its original purpose, and moved to broadcast more recent programming.
A timeshift channel, Boomerang +1, was launched on 6 March 2006.
An HD feed, Boomerang HD, launched June 24, 2015.
Live action programming
Between July to September 2007, the channel started airing live action programming My Spy Family. The series was a co-production between Turner Broadcasting and Kindle Entertainment. The show marks a major investment for Turner in live action at a time when many broadcasters are reviewing their commitment to children's programming.
The programmes that currently airing are:
- Be Cool, Scooby-Doo!
- DreamWorks Dragons
- The Garfield Show
- George of the Jungle
- Inspector Gadget (2015)
- Looney Tunes
- The Looney Tunes Show
- Mr Bean: The Animated Series
- Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated (weekends only)
- The Scooby-Doo Show (weekends only)
- Sonic Boom
- The Tom and Jerry Show
- Tom and Jerry
- Tom and Jerry Tales
- What's New, Scooby-Doo?
- King, Susan (2000-04-01). "Hanna-Barbera Cartoons Return on New Boomerang". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "Digest". Marketing Week. 2000-04-06. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- [dead link]
- "Dedicated Kids Channel For Hanna-Barbera Classics". Broadcast. 2000-04-07. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "Boomerang increases its UK penetration". C21Media. 2001-09-07. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "NTL adds 15 channels". Broadcast. 2001-10-26. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "Garfield joins Cartoon Network". Broadcast. 2003-03-20. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "Boomerang Global Rebrand". Art&Graft. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- "Boomerang UK Rebranded Today (16/02/2015)". RegularCapital.com. Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- "Boomerang UK HD Officially Launched Today (24/06/2015)". RegularCapital.com. Retrieved 25 June 2015.
- Oatts, Joanne (2007-06-22). "Boomerang gets its own 'Spy' Family". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "Boomerang Expands its Life with Derek". Thinkbox. 2008-06-04. Retrieved 2013-06-16.